Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jarvisi posted:

I've never heard of this series. Is it solo only? Or can you play it in groups

You can play it coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jarvisi posted:

I've never heard of this series. Is it solo only? Or can you play it in groups

In addition to what others have said, you can download the core Ironsworn rulebook (same system but in a fantasy setting) for free in PDF form here: https://www.ironswornrpg.com//downloads

Starforged is a refinement of that and a bunch of new stuff for the space setting, but Ironsworn should give you a solid idea of how it plays both solo and in groups. Ironsworn also has a paid expansion called Delve which gives rules for adding more in-depth dungeon crawl type instances; Starforged basically incorporates that into its core rules.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ironsworn looks like a fascinating system. I am actually not much of an RPG player, but I find the basic premise and resolution mechanics pretty interesting. I'm glad it got brought up.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Same! I hadn't heard of it until today but I'm fascinated, and jumped on the Starforged kickstarter.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ironforged rules, I've been hyped for Starforged since it was announced and I really can't wait. Its rare I get this hyped about a specific KS project honestly but Ironforged influenced my approach to games design so enormously its hard not to

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

Ironsworn looks like a fascinating system. I am actually not much of an RPG player, but I find the basic premise and resolution mechanics pretty interesting. I'm glad it got brought up.

There are a bunch of play through on YouTube. I like this one for solo https://youtu.be/IN-hld-_r1A

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a playlist of another really good Ironsworn solo campaign, done by a voice actor. Listening to a few episodes of this was what convinced me to give it a spin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxJ3exjfgI

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Helpful goon Kestral also held a demonstration thread for Ironsworn last year to help people who got acquainted with it via the Itch mega bundle, which offered the Delve rules.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928109&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
For possibly-undiagnosed-twitcher-brain people like myself, there's thank-the-gods an alternative to youtube playlists of people talking to a tabletop at like 1/1000th of the speed you could absorb information if you were reading it instead! I know those people put a lot of work into their videos, I just can't learn that way

The Extended Example of Play (Ironsworn free download rulebook pg 241) is basically "Ironsworn for busy people" and spells out how the game works in practice. A few minutes' read at most that will tell you whether it's your "thing" or not! :yayclod:

And if it IS your thing? Then clicking the below is essentially the YES I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE button in the same vein:

El Fideo posted:

Helpful goon Kestral also held a demonstration thread for Ironsworn last year to help people who got acquainted with it via the Itch mega bundle, which offered the Delve rules.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928109&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I've just received my Zombicide 2nd Edition kickstarter shipment! I also got the Danny Trejo character set. Seems nice, have like a million zombies in this box now. We'll see if I ever get around to actually playing the thing.

After backing it, I bought the Ash from Evil Dead knockoff Zombicide character figure off ebay, just so I can use him with this upon getting the set, as it includes updated character stat cards and stuff. So that's fun. Now I can have Ash team up with Machete to kill Slenderman.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

HJE-Cobra posted:

I've just received my Zombicide 2nd Edition kickstarter shipment! I also got the Danny Trejo character set. Seems nice, have like a million zombies in this box now. We'll see if I ever get around to actually playing the thing.

After backing it, I bought the Ash from Evil Dead knockoff Zombicide character figure off ebay, just so I can use him with this upon getting the set, as it includes updated character stat cards and stuff. So that's fun. Now I can have Ash team up with Machete to kill Slenderman.
I liked looking through the included hero upgrade pack that covered all the core/expansion/KS stretch goal characters, but regretted that I didn’t have a couple fun knock-offs here and there since I only bought the original Zombicides at retail. I really wished I had The Big Bang Theory cast, that’s pretty hilarious that they made all of them as survivors.

At least I backed the Zombicide Green Horde campaign, so I do have the Stranger Things kids.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I find it funny that they had a Machete knockoff by the name of El Cholo first, and now they have an actual Danny Trejo. They sure do like characters that are parodies of other things. I've also got a Chuck Norris who was in the same pack as Ash. There's so many random people/characters they made, though. I think there's a Ru Paul.

Edit: Oh, right, the Ru Paul one is one of the new kickstarter exclusive survivors in the second box. It's been so long since I backed this I forgot what all was in it, hah.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 1, 2021

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

For possibly-undiagnosed-twitcher-brain people like myself, there's thank-the-gods an alternative to youtube playlists of people talking to a tabletop at like 1/1000th of the speed you could absorb information if you were reading it instead! I know those people put a lot of work into their videos, I just can't learn that way

The Extended Example of Play (Ironsworn free download rulebook pg 241) is basically "Ironsworn for busy people" and spells out how the game works in practice. A few minutes' read at most that will tell you whether it's your "thing" or not! :yayclod:

And if it IS your thing? Then clicking the below is essentially the YES I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE button in the same vein:

you are my hero

most informational videos to me feel as though I'm getting the content I want explained by a sloth

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Capital Gains Studio just launched their latest game, Zombie Life Insurance. It's a quick card-driven game set during a zombie apocalypse during which survival is good, but investing wisely in insurance policies and becoming a very rich zombie is better.

The game is still in final development, but there's a full current rulebook, gameplay video and link to create Tabletopia games on the project page. Early bird price for the first 200 backers is $24, rising to around $26 once those run out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

homullus posted:

you are my hero

most informational videos to me feel as though I'm getting the content I want explained by a sloth

It also drives me nuts that seemingly everything that used to be a text post or FAQ moved to YouTube years ago, and what's worse I think the feeling that it's unnecessarily drawn out and full of filler is a result of YouTubers trying to game an algorithm that seemingly preferred 10 minute videos over anything shorter. :argh:

The funny thing is now that Tiktok is eating YouTube's lunch it seems like The Algorithm has swung too far the other direction. Most boring dystopia, etc.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

homullus posted:

We could probably agree with each other all day on this topic :(:respek::(

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Agreed re: video delivery of strictly informational content. However, the Ironsworn videos linked are actual playthroughs of Ironsworn, which I think is...well, given that it's a solo thing in said playthroughs, probably still optimally delivered in a text format like Kestrel did, but I'm a lot more willing to give my time to people playing a game in real time on video than describing how to play it. If that makes any sense. And I think for collaborative versions hearing everyone involved is that much better.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Man, my predictions on the CMON X-Men KS have been a litany of completely wrong predictions. Theironjef takes the crown for predicting a Fantastic Four box, which is a real strange choice for an X-Men themed expansion.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Called shot: They are going to make a “United” for many of their IPs. Such a simple game space to design in.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've had a shitload of email updates from Kickstarter about the X-Men game, they've been ripping through all the Alpha Flight members and poo poo.

Fantastic Four seems overly dependent on the entire team being together all the time or you discard cards, which is sort of lame.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

djfooboo posted:

Called shot: They are going to make a “United” for many of their IPs. Such a simple game space to design in.

I'm guessing we will see United: The Original Trilogy next and I can't imagine the amount of money they will bring in. Deathstar, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, Jabba's Palace, Endor, Deathstar II expansions.

That said, the amount of stuff you are getting for just the base pledge of X-Men is insane.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The most surprising point about the Fantastic Four expansion is that there’s no Franklin in it. If you want a clear way to tie Fantastic Four to X-men, you need to include Franklin.

Still no Nightcrawler. I feel like they are going to pull him out with 24 hours left to do that last push.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I went for the all-in thing for X-Men United. I was on the fence at first but my wife and I have been playing through the marvel stuff and it’s a really really fun game.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

djfooboo posted:

It makes some sense, the look is obviously very popular and it seems fairly easy to make work for most genres. And hell, except for maybe Galactus, they've now already hit most of the bases for Marvel. Not a ton left to work with re: major heroes and villains.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm not a huge superhero fan or really wanting to get into cmon stuff but i'm tempted just to grab the base pledge for a ton of minis to paint or give away or whatever

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

The most surprising point about the Fantastic Four expansion is that there’s no Franklin in it. If you want a clear way to tie Fantastic Four to X-men, you need to include Franklin.

Still no Nightcrawler. I feel like they are going to pull him out with 24 hours left to do that last push.

Yep they just pulled out Nigthcrawler. Finally.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Man, I want to be excited about this since I love the X-Men but drat do I hate the art style they went with

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I honestly like the art style and find that it works really well as a less skilled painter who likes to paint with my daughter. I can still do some good shading and detail but even my less good pieces still look pretty solid. And she can paint figures with me that don’t require as much focus or detail as Crisis Protocol.

The only figure I don’t really care for is the Winter Soldier from the original united box. I just really didn’t like his face layout and how the eyes/mask/nose looked. I guess Black Window is in the same boat to a lesser extent. Even with the style, both those figures faces just look really off. No other figure without a helmet looks as bad as those two.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's looking like Cloak and Dagger will cap it off. I might go for the base pledge on this one, it's a little steep for a lot of the other stuff and I don't need a bunch of extra wolverines.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

theironjef posted:

It's looking like Cloak and Dagger will cap it off. I might go for the base pledge on this one, it's a little steep for a lot of the other stuff and I don't need a bunch of extra wolverines.

I was resisting easily until now, but drat do I love me some Cloak and Dagger.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Still mad I won't be getting Chamber and Husk, but it is still a silly amount of lil X-men minis at the base level.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Goddamn that’s a lot of minis. I’m honestly very tempted, then maybe add a few things later on in the pledge manager if I feel like it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I still only know who like 15% of these characters are, lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Was it you earlier talking about how the gameplay is super basic? Like Cloak and Dagger will play the same as Wolverine who will play the same as Gwenpool?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Was it you earlier talking about how the gameplay is super basic? Like Cloak and Dagger will play the same as Wolverine who will play the same as Gwenpool?

Cloak And Dagger def won't play the same as those others. Quite a few characters now have a lot of unique stuff i.e. Nightcrawler teleporting around the board constantly, Dagger having a unique token accrual if shes at 3 card health, etc. They've kind of done better with the new characters so a lot of them have interesting powers or starting hand abilities. Marrow just dropped as an Anti-Hero and she has a bunch of unique rules.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

That’s with the original game. The expansions for it apparently added a lot more to the unique feel of each character, which X-Men has run with.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

I honestly like the art style and find that it works really well as a less skilled painter who likes to paint with my daughter. I can still do some good shading and detail but even my less good pieces still look pretty solid. And she can paint figures with me that don’t require as much focus or detail as Crisis Protocol.

The only figure I don’t really care for is the Winter Soldier from the original united box. I just really didn’t like his face layout and how the eyes/mask/nose looked. I guess Black Window is in the same boat to a lesser extent. Even with the style, both those figures faces just look really off. No other figure without a helmet looks as bad as those two.

They also look really great if you're an amazing painter like Big Child and friends. I wish I could buy 2 or 3 for like $10 each to try my hand at emulating that style, shame that's not the business model.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I threw $1 at it so I could spend some time watching gameplay and make a more informed descision.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Like has been said, the base is very formulaic but the additional characters add a lot of interesting choices to the game. The heart is in the villains, though.

While the decks you’re working with as heroes can be samey, the decision making changes a lot based on who you’re trying to defeat.

It’s not a heavy game by any stretch of the imagination but it’s a lot more fun than it would appear on the surface. Frankly, I think it’s a stellar gateway game if you’re trying to steer a game group toward heavier fare.

I went all in on the first campaign and we haven’t even scratched the surface yet but we’re enjoying it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dawgstar posted:

I was specifically talking about the first wave, focused around Avengers stuff. And I stand by that. They clearly knew because they've changed stuff about the hero decks quite a bit, moving the number of cards in each deck with text from three to four and introducing the "starts in hand" cards. The first wave, when you're using a lot of the stretch goal stuff, feels very samey from one game to the next, but there was room for improvement.