Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Haifisch posted:

A comprehensive explanation of nfts, for the uninitiated:

Ah, so that's nfts. Thanks for the explanation! I'm gunna try my hand at some homegrown ones now that I know how to get on this gravy train! Toot toot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raised By Birds posted:

I like the method Traveler's Tales used to get Sonic 3D Blast to pass Sega's QA tests back in the day: if there's an exception, and the game doesn't know how to deal with it, just dump into level select with text that says "You found a secret!"

IIRC the original PC version of Wing Commander had a bug that caused the program to crash whenever you quit. Which, since you were exiting the game, wasn't exactly priority on their list of fixes. So what they did instead was change the crash message to say "Thank you for playing Wing Commander"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then there's the PC port of NieR, which when it runs into an exception is just ignores it and prerends it didn't happen.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the original PC version of Wing Commander had a bug that caused the program to crash whenever you quit. Which, since you were exiting the game, wasn't exactly priority on their list of fixes. So what they did instead was change the crash message to say "Thank you for playing Wing Commander"

The Intellivision game Space Hawk had a hyperspace feature that would let you randomly teleport to a different part of the screen to avoid danger. The developers discovered a bug where holding a specific direction on the control disc while pressing one of the side buttons was interpreted by the console as pressing the hyperspace button. Since they couldn't fix it, they turned it into a feature by adding an explanation in the manual about invisible black holes that would randomly put you into hyperspace.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Haifisch posted:

A comprehensive explanation of nfts, for the uninitiated:

That's accurate to some types of NFT. For others, Leonardo da Vinci himself would be the one selling you the receipt and then shooing you out of the museum.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Then there's the PC port of NieR, which when it runs into an exception is just ignores it and prerends it didn't happen.

Fyi, they just patched it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do I make a NFT for a funny meme I saw on the internet and sell it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

value-brand cereal posted:

Ah, so that's nfts. Thanks for the explanation! I'm gunna try my hand at some homegrown ones now that I know how to get on this gravy train! Toot toot!

they missed the other important detail where the person making the nft has to pay like a hundred bucks worth of transaction fees on the stupid cryptocurrency market

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

George H.W. oval office posted:

How do I make a NFT for a funny meme I saw on the internet and sell it

I think you just say it's yours in a tweet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Volmarias posted:

I don't know if you're joking but apparently it was in fact a pretty brutal QA testing that they could fail you for if the smallest problem happened, and frequently did. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was actually a great authentication mechanism because it specifically means that a room of angry QA monkeys banged on their controllers enough for Nintendo to endorse it as Probably Ok. You know who is endorsing it and (theoretically) why, and the entity endorsing it is largely trusted to do so.

Does make sense considering the NES was trying to open the US console market back up after a crash so bad that they originally marketed it as a toy rather than a games console since the Atari and contemporaries had basically choked to death on barely functional shovelware. Of course, that didn't stop people from making unlicensed NES games on which the seal of quality is conspiciously absent, mostly compilation ones, with the legendary Action52 coming to mind.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ponzicar posted:

The Intellivision game Space Hawk had a hyperspace feature that would let you randomly teleport to a different part of the screen to avoid danger. The developers discovered a bug where holding a specific direction on the control disc while pressing one of the side buttons was interpreted by the console as pressing the hyperspace button. Since they couldn't fix it, they turned it into a feature by adding an explanation in the manual about invisible black holes that would randomly put you into hyperspace.
Watch out for Dr. Robotnik's deadly speed traps!

aka "clipping into terrain"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does make sense considering the NES was trying to open the US console market back up after a crash so bad that they originally marketed it as a toy rather than a games console since the Atari and contemporaries had basically choked to death on barely functional shovelware. Of course, that didn't stop people from making unlicensed NES games on which the seal of quality is conspiciously absent, mostly compilation ones, with the legendary Action52 coming to mind.
To my understanding the Seal of Quality didn't actually do comprehensive testing. So there's released games with the seal which have potentially game-killing bugs and so forth, they're just not early or easy to trigger.

This was still much better than the preivous shovelware glut, though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

muscles like this! posted:

ponzicar posted:

Space Invaders, literally the original Space Invaders. The entire gimmick of its escalating difficulty where the enemies speed up as you kill more of them, was initially just an effect of the limited processing power being able to render frames faster when there were less aliens onscreen. So they made it into a "feature".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fishstick posted:

Space Invaders, literally the original Space Invaders. The entire gimmick of its escalating difficulty where the enemies speed up as you kill more of them, was initially just an effect of the limited processing power being able to render frames faster when there were less aliens onscreen. So they made it into a "feature".
I feel like this one's not like the others because if you fix the bug you don't have Space Invaders any more.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zereth posted:

Watch out for Dr. Robotnik's deadly speed traps!

aka "clipping into terrain"

To my understanding the Seal of Quality didn't actually do comprehensive testing. So there's released games with the seal which have potentially game-killing bugs and so forth, they're just not early or easy to trigger.

This was still much better than the preivous shovelware glut, though.

The other thing about the Seal of Quality was that Nintendo was basically entirely in charge of how many carts they’d make for you, how much they cost, when they’d be ready, etc.

So if you hosed around and tarnished that reputation, they could restrict production of your future games, consign them to release during poor sales times, charge you more for them, or refuse to work with you at all.

Oddly, this serves as a better forcing function for games being delivered with proper QC than “lol OK you can just do a day one patch.”

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A lot of ps2 games only supported saves in memory card slot 1, and that was 100% because of TRC (aka Sony compliance) testing. The level of testing you had to do to support multiple memory card slots was a massive pain in the rear end so publishers just didn't do it. Like, the messages you get about saving/loading cannot be adjusted in any way - even the capitalization was a fail class issue if it was wrong. If I remember correctly, memory card had to be MEMORY CARD because that's how it appears on the physical object.

TRC testing is absolutely the most boring games QA job, it's just mind-numbingly, insanely tedious. At least it used to be, I left at the ps3/xbox360 stage so maybe thing have gotten less tedious.

I doubt it.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Apr 29, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pookah posted:

Like, the messages you get about saving/loading cannot be adjusted in any way - even the capitalization was a fail class issue if it was wrong. If I remember correctly, memory card had to be MEMORY CARD because that's how it appears on the physical object.
I can confirm this, after working on a lot of PS2 games as a translator. We had official Sony documents specifying the janky wording, like "memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2)." Sometimes the line breaks in the "now saving" messages were really badly done (back before auto linewrap in games), but I think those also couldn't be adjusted. Weirdly enough, the slots themselves were "MEMORY CARD slots." :iiam:

On the other hand, Nintendo specified "+Control Pad" with no space after the +, and that made me a little crazy, too. Because of this experience, though, I never called them "Wiimotes" (that's "Wii Remotes," if you please :lofty:).

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

zedprime posted:

I feel like this one's not like the others because if you fix the bug you don't have Space Invaders any more.

Also they definitely noticed it in early prototypes and decided they liked it. Making it not do that would have been barely any effort.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Blue Moonlight posted:

The other thing about the Seal of Quality was that Nintendo was basically entirely in charge of how many carts they’d make for you, how much they cost, when they’d be ready, etc.

So if you hosed around and tarnished that reputation, they could restrict production of your future games, consign them to release during poor sales times, charge you more for them, or refuse to work with you at all.

Oddly, this serves as a better forcing function for games being delivered with proper QC than “lol OK you can just do a day one patch.”

That's a really charitable way of looking at it because Nintendos policy was unfairly brutal and was more looking at sabotaging third parties in general, to keep them from getting too big. All the poo poo you say they'd do to bad companies they'd do very arbitrarily to everyone. It didnt really stop barely functioning trash games, there's a reason the AVGN and his imitators exist.

It led to legitimate companies like Konami making shell companies to get around the limited carts because Nintendo would do that regardless of who you were. Sega's (and subsequently Sony's) more flexible manufacturing is basically what let them take a chunk of the market, and they were not any more saturated with broken games than Nintendo.

It was a trash system all around that hurt third parties, and Nintendo in the long run once they had competition.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Apr 29, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's a really charitable way of looking at it because Nintendos policy was unfairly brutal and was more looking at sabotaging third parties in general, to keep them from getting too big. All the poo poo you say they'd do to bad companies they'd do very arbitrarily to everyone. It didnt really stop barely functioning trash games, there's a reason the AVGN and his imitators exist.

It led to legitimate companies like Konami making shell companies to get around the limited carts because Nintendo would do that regardless of who you were. Sega's (and subsequently Sony's) more flexible manufacturing is basically what let them take a chunk of the market, and they were not any more saturated with broken games than Nintendo.

It was a trash system all around that hurt third parties, and Nintendo in the long run once they had competition.

And yet for all its problems, it did do the job it was setting out to do: avoid the glut of barely-functioning shovelware that caused the video game crash.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

And yet for all its problems, it did do the job it was setting out to do: avoid the glut of barely-functioning shovelware that caused the video game crash.

Sega and Sony accomplished the same task without actively sabotaging third parties by constraining manufacturing. Requiring a license to produce games for their console isn't an absurd requirement, actively constraining the number of blank carts to absurdly low numbers was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nintendo had monopolistic business practices certainly but also Nintendo didn’t apply those practices to a few companies making games for Nintendo consoles. It was a low ratio, about one in ten though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also Sega was not significantly better about it until EA reverse engineered the genesis cartridge.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm just glad videogames are good now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sega and Sony accomplished the same task without actively sabotaging third parties by constraining manufacturing. Requiring a license to produce games for their console isn't an absurd requirement, actively constraining the number of blank carts to absurdly low numbers was.

Barudak posted:

Also Sega was not significantly better about it until EA reverse engineered the genesis cartridge.

Yeah, Sega were forced to be better at this.

And even then... that was years later. Sony years later still. By the time the Genesis and Playstation rocked up to the party the culture about game development had changed, in part because Nintendo forced it to in the NES days.

I'm not defending their archaic approach on the SNES or (especially) N64, but there was a very good reason they were pretty brutal on the NES. It is noteworthy to point out, in fact, that they were not this draconian with the Famicom; they didn't really need to be, because Japanese developers... you know, didn't crash their video game market with shovelware a few years before.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Volcott posted:

I'm just glad videogames are good now.

This but unironically

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cleretic posted:

I'm not defending their archaic approach on the SNES or (especially) N64, but there was a very good reason they were pretty brutal on the NES. It is noteworthy to point out, in fact, that they were not this draconian with the Famicom; they didn't really need to be, because Japanese developers... you know, didn't crash their video game market with shovelware a few years before.

Japan had tons upon tons of bootlegging problems though with the Famicom. The market crash in the US wasn’t the whole picture, they were also really concerned with piracy in the US market, and part of the seal of quality is it meant Nintendo would put the 10NES lockout hardware in the cart (the chip that makes it reset constantly if the cart’s missing the chip...or just dirty) which didn’t exist in the Japanese market.

It got so bad that when Nintendo wanted to expand into Russia in the SNES gen, the local bootleg Famicom was so entrenched that Nintendo signed a contract with the distributor saying “yes, you can still sell the Dendy while selling the SNES and we won’t give you poo poo about it”.

It’s actually pretty fascinating, all things considered: Dendy (Console) on Wiki

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This is the best way to learn about the Dendy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kinda want a Dendy now, though that elephant is just horrifying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Nintendo had monopolistic business practices certainly but also Nintendo didn’t apply those practices to a few companies making games for Nintendo consoles. It was a low ratio, about one in ten though

:haw:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Says something when to revive an industry you have to leverage your monopoly to force other companies not to do the poo poo that killed it the first time around.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The game industry never died, It just shifted to Computers, Japan, and Europe for a minute.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

The game industry never died, It just shifted to Computers, Japan, and Europe for a minute.

Arcades, too.

Man I miss arcades.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah specifically the video game crash was an NA-only thing. Europe had the microcomputers which had a lot of low-cost software, kids could save up the equivalent of a few bucks to buy a game, most of them being on tape cassettes. (Though this did make piracy common.) US computer gaming also was a thing but not as big at the time, it was definitely a smaller market (stuff like the C64 barely sold in the US despite the low price point.)

There was even a bit of a crash in the home computer market in the mid-80s because they'd been sold as something you absolutely needed in your home but couldn't actually do that much yet. Like there was software to do your budget but it wasn't much easier than just doing it by hand.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah specifically the video game crash was an NA-only thing. Europe had the microcomputers which had a lot of low-cost software, kids could save up the equivalent of a few bucks to buy a game, most of them being on tape cassettes. (Though this did make piracy common.) US computer gaming also was a thing but not as big at the time, it was definitely a smaller market (stuff like the C64 barely sold in the US despite the low price point.)

There was even a bit of a crash in the home computer market in the mid-80s because they'd been sold as something you absolutely needed in your home but couldn't actually do that much yet. Like there was software to do your budget but it wasn't much easier than just doing it by hand.

Also you could record a game off the radio

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hirayuki posted:

I can confirm this, after working on a lot of PS2 games as a translator. We had official Sony documents specifying the janky wording, like "memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2)." Sometimes the line breaks in the "now saving" messages were really badly done (back before auto linewrap in games), but I think those also couldn't be adjusted. Weirdly enough, the slots themselves were "MEMORY CARD slots." :iiam:

On the other hand, Nintendo specified "+Control Pad" with no space after the +, and that made me a little crazy, too. Because of this experience, though, I never called them "Wiimotes" (that's "Wii Remotes," if you please :lofty:).

AAAA the bolded line legit made my stomach twist with a flashback to all that junk. For anyone who's managed to avoid any contact with console QA compliance stuff : if you mistakenly wrote "memory card (8MB)(for PlayStation®2)." instead of "memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2).", that's an insta-fail.
I remember one time, a translator decided that the official Sony translations weren't great so they decided to 'fix' them. I think someone had Conversation with them about how it doesn't matter if it's liguistically gobbledegook, they set the rules, they decide what's correct.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Memento posted:

Also you could record a game off the radio

That and phreaking is quite the era of technology, I suppose it goes back to how the sound of a modem dialling up and connecting sticks with you. There's something almost magical about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love anything where pressing buttons or playing a tone at the right time gets you into secret phone function territory

FOR MARIGOLD PRESS 4

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

There was an ancient games service I can't remember the name of that I believe was JP only, involved the TV somehow, and games came in multiple parts you couldn't get all at once. Anyone remember which that one was?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Satellaview?

E: possibly PlayCable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
There's a Satellaview costume in Super Mario Odyssey. 'This outfit represents what the future used to look like'. Kinda nuts that the original Famicon had a compact disk add-on, which games like Super Mario Bros 2 were originally released on, and I think the SNES and N64 had their own internet-connecting add-ons with exclusive stuff like F-Zero X tracks and SimCity 64.