Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

AG3 posted:

The fact that the DLC is still in the top sellers list on Steam and that the number of reviews are increasing (but the average score is not) says a lot about people who buy, play and complain about Paradox games and Paradox's DLC policy.

You'd think the terrible score would stop people from buying the DLC at least until it's fixed, but I guess Paradox fans are a strange breed of people.

I think it's mindboggling that Paradox has not put out an official statement and even deleted the terrible apology by Johan - and that they have not pulled the product. They are pissing away a lot of their goodwill they have built the last few years with relatively stable releases, with this shitshow.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's still so fuckin hilarious tho

"We made the expansion wrong. As a joke."-my dream version of Johan

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Reveilled posted:

Am I right in remembering that Paradox announced their new studio in Barcelona on like the very next day after agreeing a collective bargaining agreement with their Swedish employees?

If so, the Stockholm employees have got to be licking their lips right about now.

"Oh, so you can just outsource everything anytime you want, you say?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want them to not fix the Native mega-cities, they own.

The Iroquois cheevo is harder now since you have to form Iroquois first.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Unions always win.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The uncolonized world bug just ate Florryworry's game on stream :lol:, good times

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

New anti-bird mechanic? :v:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah shucks it looks like steam wiped all the funny user tags for leviathan. rip

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BONGHITZ posted:

Unions always win.

Don't swedish workers in particular rely on strong unions because the government itself has barely and regulations on hours or wages? USA-looks-good-tier labour law?

sketch poo poo, laughs aside

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don't swedish workers in particular rely on strong unions because the government itself has barely and regulations on hours or wages? USA-looks-good-tier labour law?

sketch poo poo, laughs aside

I think it's kind of the inverse, where Sweden has such strong legal protection and support for unions that they don't need a minimum wage because almost every worker gets union-negotiated wages. And they do have a legal 40-hour workweek apparently

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

1.30 is hilarious and immediately developing northern Italy to 100 dev/province by 1460 is the most fun I've had in this game for a while. Possibly since the last DLC dropped and Austria could get all of Europe into the Empire by 1475.

e: I have to fight the temptation to savescum when my new monarch comes back with a meager 32 monarch points in a category. All your rulers come in at over 100 years old so you get a new guy every 2-3 years.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 29, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's the exploit everyone is using to do these 100 dev provinces?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

What's the exploit everyone is using to do these 100 dev provinces?

its not an exploit. its just the concentrate development mechanic they added in the dlc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also, just be a native and abuse Tribal Development.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davincie posted:

its not an exploit. its just the concentrate development mechanic they added in the dlc.

laughing that it's not even a bug but a new DLC feature lmao

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Davincie posted:

You can also go military dictatorship as milan and a few other tags which results in your generals being appointed ruler with insane overflow stats (like the screenshot a few posts up) and just dev provinces using your endless mana

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

To be fair to the person who was pointing out that the DLC is selling well despite the incredible review situation, in actuality I am more tempted to come back to EU4 and get this DLC thanks to the hilarious bugs being reported. At least three different ways to skyrocket development, for a start? Hell yeah that rules lmfao

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magissima posted:

I think it's kind of the inverse, where Sweden has such strong legal protection and support for unions that they don't need a minimum wage because almost every worker gets union-negotiated wages. And they do have a legal 40-hour workweek apparently

Exactly this. In Sweden, Norway and Denmark, the rule of thumb is that unions and employers organizations negotiate almost everything, with little-to-no government intervention. That's been the case many decades now (in Sweden since 1938, Norway 1935, Denmark 1899). This does mean that, if you look purely on legal protections, we Scandinavians look like we've got rear end workplaces. That's not how things work out in practice though, for example here in Denmark the work week is 37 hours long. Generally speaking, the gov't only gets involved with negotiations for public employees, and even then in its role as employer rather than as lawmaker.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The thread title becomes more accurate every day, I'm glad it hasn't been changed yet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Caustic Soda posted:

Exactly this. In Sweden, Norway and Denmark, the rule of thumb is that unions and employers organizations negotiate almost everything, with little-to-no government intervention. That's been the case many decades now (in Sweden since 1938, Norway 1935, Denmark 1899). This does mean that, if you look purely on legal protections, we Scandinavians look like we've got rear end workplaces. That's not how things work out in practice though, for example here in Denmark the work week is 37 hours long. Generally speaking, the gov't only gets involved with negotiations for public employees, and even then in its role as employer rather than as lawmaker.

That only raises further sketchy questions about Paradox employees needing to struggle to get in a union and the move :(

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Ms Adequate posted:

To be fair to the person who was pointing out that the DLC is selling well despite the incredible review situation, in actuality I am more tempted to come back to EU4 and get this DLC thanks to the hilarious bugs being reported. At least three different ways to skyrocket development, for a start? Hell yeah that rules lmfao

Does the "top selling" thing account for refunds? I bought it after the patch and while I didn't run into any huge bugs: it did make saves/loads take at least twice as long as before the patch. Performance across the board seemed to tank for me, but I haven't heard anyone else mention that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did refund it, but will probably pick it up again once it's sufficiently patched.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 29, 2021

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Caustic Soda posted:

Yeah. On the flipside, though, there's some room for really skeevy practices in 1) industries that utilize a lot of foreign workers and 2) IT-related stuff.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I remember when it wasnt long ago that I would cream my pants when I got a 1% increase in some stat like discipline, but now its all ball to the wall 25% here and 400% there

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dorkopotamis posted:

Does the "top selling" thing account for refunds? I bought it after the patch and while I didn't run into any huge bugs: it did make saves/loads take at least twice as long as before the patch. Performance across the board seemed to tank for me, but I haven't heard anyone else mention that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did refund it, but will probably pick it up again once it's sufficiently patched.

Performance seems to have taken a nasty hit from all the curry favor interactions, but that might just be my wonky pre-patch save.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh wow, I was wondering how Leviathan turned out. Yikes.

ilitarist posted:

And it's not like GSG is a unique genre. It shares a lot of DNA with 4X and empire builder games. We have Old World now which has a lot of CK influence in it.

Indeed, it even has a CK dev ;)

Reveilled posted:

Am I right in remembering that Paradox announced their new studio in Barcelona on like the very next day after agreeing a collective bargaining agreement with their Swedish employees?

Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Magissima posted:

Edgar is correct, although sadly union membership rates have been steadily falling overall, and some industries like games are mostly ununionized. Paradox fought tooth and nail against people unionizing too, including leaving their own industry-union suddenly when it was pointed out this went against their values.

I'm not sure exactly what the work week laws are, but we certainly exceeded 40/week when [required] crunching.

Johan's post seems to have been deleted too. I can't find it on the PDS forums. Wondered how downvoted it was.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Groke posted:

Yeah. On the flipside, though, there's some room for really skeevy practices in 1) industries that utilize a lot of foreign workers and 2) IT-related stuff.

Yep, the Scandinavian system works great for like 80% of workers here but it falls as flat as any other for the worst case scenarios, mainly related to imported labor. Here in Norway there has been a lot of issues with this, in particular with workers from Poland but also from other eastern-European countries, who can get in easily through EU-membership. Seasonal industries like anything that needs to be harvested + construction suffer the most from this. Workers get treated like poo poo, and get paid like poo poo, and because the companies get away with that there is no incentive to treat Norwegian workers competitively compared to other occupations, but they would do things like 'think they have Actual Rights' or 'get attention in the media/parliament' if they were treated anywhere near similarly. Resulting in locals avoid these branches like the plague, leading both to severe brain-drain (most relevant in construction) and a lack of reasonable options in manual labor fields for those who are inclined to seek work there.

Let this not take away from the fact that: dlc bad.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

Oh wow, I was wondering how Leviathan turned out. Yikes.

Did you leave Paradox?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

This has to be the best time to roll out your subscription service. Finally loaded the game up, and offering it is the first thing that comes up.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

V for Vegas posted:

Did you leave Paradox?

Some time ago (Dec 2019), yes :)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCSKEHXtNqo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I did an Inca playthrough recently maxed out defense tree and when the European armies showed up they just all died to attrition sieging forts

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dorkopotamis posted:

Performance across the board seemed to tank for me, but I haven't heard anyone else mention that.

It was noticeably slower from day 1 of the short game I played before refunding. I’ve seen it mentioned a couple of times on the paradox forums and steam reviews. I think bad performance is just such a generic issue everybody forgets to even mention it with all the other glaring/wacky/hilarious issues there are to talk about

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1387679038962032641

idk man

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
huh i just found out paradox has a studio in berkeley. what do they work on?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdVUEoaET7w

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

huh i just found out paradox has a studio in berkeley. what do they work on?

No one knows yet, and it’s still a very small studio. It’s helmed by Rod Humble who did a lot of work on The Sims and was the CEO of the Second Life folks for a few years, so maybe it’ll be life-sim of some sort.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

No one knows yet, and it’s still a very small studio. It’s helmed by Rod Humble who did a lot of work on The Sims and was the CEO of the Second Life folks for a few years, so maybe it’ll be life-sim of some sort.

EU5 but it's an MMO set in 16th century Dortmund and you can be a furry landsknecht

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Sold.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For the 1.30.X Emperor versions, was it ever clear why the AI had such trouble filling up their building slots? Not just that the AI makes bad choices, but also that they don't build or upgrade a lot of the buildings that would make them stronger. I don't mind that the HRE isn't full of level 8 forts but are the AI countries just broke all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Even lucky nations were broke all the time so non-LN were turbofucked from debt spirals. Can't build when you're constantly in massive debt.