Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

People genuinely believe this. Think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Starsfan posted:

supposedly at it's height there were 40+ million people listening to Coast to Coast AM during the 90's. Even amongst my colleagues who are all professionals with a university education there are people who believe in ghosts, aliens, and other various supernatural and anti government conspiracy theories. Not so much the Q anon stuff yet because I don't think it's as popular up here in Canada, but from what I read the QAnon cult is starting to spread up here too and we have our own versions in the first place.

I don't think that kind of thinking has ever been contained to just the creeps and the mentally ill. It's been a part of main stream human thought forever.

To be fair, Art Bell was the poo poo. I didn't believe any of it, but it was some of the best storytelling I've ever heard. And it was harmless. Totally non-political. Then it took a turn when Bell left.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

1glitch0 posted:

To be fair, Art Bell was the poo poo. I didn't believe any of it, but it was some of the best storytelling I've ever heard. And it was harmless. Totally non-political. Then it took a turn when Bell left.

Art Bell was one of the best interviewers I ever heard on the radio or any medium for that matter. The fact that he was unable to continue Coast-to-Coast longer is a crying shame.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

The Harlot the Witch one is loving amazing. It's the one where she starts to cast a spell over the air and he gets scared and makes her stop before she can finish the incantation.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Starsfan posted:

supposedly at it's height there were 40+ million people listening to Coast to Coast AM during the 90's. Even amongst my colleagues who are all professionals with a university education there are people who believe in ghosts, aliens, and other various supernatural and anti government conspiracy theories. Not so much the Q anon stuff yet because I don't think it's as popular up here in Canada, but from what I read the QAnon cult is starting to spread up here too and we have our own versions in the first place.

I don't think that kind of thinking has ever been contained to just the creeps and the mentally ill. It's been a part of main stream human thought forever.

Yeah, it exists in degrees for just about everyone. It's possible to be completely rational and also think we occasionally see weird poo poo in the sky and our government gets real weird about it. Hell, I'm not about to begrudge anyone who believes in more-specific theories about alien life, at this point. It just becomes a problem when that sort of thought takes over a person's regular thinking pattern and suddenly everything is a part of The Plan and you're either with Us or you're one of Them.

Like, there's a big difference between acknowledging that MKULTRA was an actual thing that happened, and thinking that it's still actively training false flag shooters so that the government can finally take all the guns away. Just because someone likes Mothman doesn't mean that they are a frothing-at-the-mouth crazy moron.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, it exists in degrees for just about everyone. It's possible to be completely rational and also think we occasionally see weird poo poo in the sky and our government gets real weird about it. Hell, I'm not about to begrudge anyone who believes in more-specific theories about alien life, at this point. It just becomes a problem when that sort of thought takes over a person's regular thinking pattern and suddenly everything is a part of The Plan and you're either with Us or you're one of Them.

Like, there's a big difference between acknowledging that MKULTRA was an actual thing that happened, and thinking that it's still actively training false flag shooters so that the government can finally take all the guns away. Just because someone likes Mothman doesn't mean that they are a frothing-at-the-mouth crazy moron.

Mothmonsterman no! My creation....

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Mothman did Silver Bridge.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You know, Bat Boy has never said just where he was on the day of the Bowling Green Massacre...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Powered Descent posted:

You know, Bat Boy has never said just where he was on the day of the Bowling Green Massacre...

I take offense to your implication here, Bat Boy has only ever been a champion of justice (I think? It's been a while)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Presumably governing Florida.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Harlot the Witch one is loving amazing. It's the one where she starts to cast a spell over the air and he gets scared and makes her stop before she can finish the incantation.

That was legend. Sat in my car for like 20 minutes because I couldn't stop listening. If we're thinking of the same one it's one she called in on open lines and talked about how she worshiped the devil and several times tried to ruin families for satan and did! She would appear vulnerable, be invited in, and then destroy the family. And them she'd move on.

That was a lot by itself, but then Art Bell started taking phone calls and all the callers were pissed at her but she talked to them and converted them. It was the craziest poo poo.

That and when he lost power to his compound while interviewing a distressed Area 51 employee are the most insane things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

People genuinely believe this. Think about that.

I think about it all the time. It sucks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Morningwoodpecker posted:

In the age of the internet everyone needs to be taught to be a skeptic. .

I don't believe you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In the age of the internet everyone needs to be taught to be a skeptic.
Why?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

In the age of the internet everyone needs to be taught to be a skeptic.

Pretty sure this poster is a Russian bot

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Please consider reading the pinned media literacy thread.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Please consider reading the pinned media literacy thread.

not a mention of chomsky or parenti to be found. this'll be a good thread to hate read lmao

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Elea posted:

From Qanoncasualties on Reddit. Haven't heard this one before.

Thanks for sharing this. As to the vaccines somehow making you infect the unvaccinated, it is unfortunately a theory that's been going around. Related to this dipshit: https://mobile.twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1383973370501337092?lang=en
"Well hundreds of women on this page say they are having bleeding/ clotting after vaccination or that they bleed oddly being AROUND vaccinated women." in case it gets deleted for blatant stupidity.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Had to bust out the ol' rhyme again for that one.

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832?lang=en

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lol isn't Naomi Wolf the whacky doc that claimed ladies can just "think" themselves pregnant by sheer tyranny of will

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Relevant Tangent posted:

Thanks for sharing this. As to the vaccines somehow making you infect the unvaccinated, it is unfortunately a theory that's been going around. Related to this dipshit: https://mobile.twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1383973370501337092?lang=en
"Well hundreds of women on this page say they are having bleeding/ clotting after vaccination or that they bleed oddly being AROUND vaccinated women." in case it gets deleted for blatant stupidity.

lol of course its a facebook group

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

lol isn't Naomi Wolf the whacky doc that claimed ladies can just "think" themselves pregnant by sheer tyranny of will
she's the one who heard about apple's time machine, and also wrote an entire book about britain executing gay people which turned out to be nonsense because she'd misunderstood everything (this was revealed during an interview and it owned)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

she's not a medical doctor, her doctorate is in english lit and she's a journalist/historian/pundit with breathtakingly hot takes

the mentioned above incident where she discovered, live on the air, that the entire thesis of her upcoming book was absolutely invalid and incorrect :discourse:

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425

she's basically a conspiracy kook who adopts the tone and language of a feminist academic, though her reputation in both fields is utterly shot. she's similar to jorp though in that she can pass as a smarty person among people who have never heard of her before

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I thought this was a fun article though it's only Qultist adjacent at best. Tartarian Architecture

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

I thought this was a fun article though it's only Qultist adjacent at best. Tartarian Architecture

Aw yeah I love that poo poo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

On a facebook group for boating related topics, someone posted the above. I figure it was a way for some Qmanoid to slip an undercover shout out to conspiracy nuts.

The many replies are either unaware of the Q reference or dancing around it avoiding pointing out that context.

I looked up the OP's profile and of course it's mainly Trumpy bullshit, support for Jan 6th rebels, Ben Garrison cartoons, video of Mike Flynn giving a speech etc.

Now interestingly, the OP account has an uncommon first name. I looked in their friends list and there are a number of friends with that exact same first name, male, female, different ethnicities. Made me wonder if some of those are weird sock puppet accounts for online bullshittery and given the same first name and "friended" to the OP account to make the posts easier to find.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The Devil went down to Lake Travis, he was lookin' for an outboard motor to steal. He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind; he was willing to make a deal. When he came across this young man boatin' with a Trump flag and runnin' it hot, and the Devil rode upon a jet ski and said "Boy, let me tell you what. I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a boater, too, and if you'd care to take a dare I'll make a bet with you. Now you got a pretty good motor, boy, but give the Devil his due - I'll bet an outboard of gold against your soul 'cause your not strong enough to withstand the storm."

The boy said, "I am the Storm"

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

And that storm was Albert Einstein.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

1glitch0 posted:

This reminds me of Stargate SG1 where by the end of the series it's like how many hundreds of thousands of people would have to keep this gigantic thing secret for so long? Sure the levees broke in New Orleans, but we're also capable of creating a system of underground train tunnels all over the country. Yet it gets colder than normal in Texas and the entire power system melts down.

One of things conspiracy theories overlook is that incompetence in one of the driving forces of history.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Zwabu posted:

On a facebook group for boating related topics, someone posted the above. I figure it was a way for some Qmanoid to slip an undercover shout out to conspiracy nuts.

The many replies are either unaware of the Q reference or dancing around it avoiding pointing out that context.

I looked up the OP's profile and of course it's mainly Trumpy bullshit, support for Jan 6th rebels, Ben Garrison cartoons, video of Mike Flynn giving a speech etc.

Now interestingly, the OP account has an uncommon first name. I looked in their friends list and there are a number of friends with that exact same first name, male, female, different ethnicities. Made me wonder if some of those are weird sock puppet accounts for online bullshittery and given the same first name and "friended" to the OP account to make the posts easier to find.

Has your friend recently de-limbed any of his children?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I gotta admit I was wrong and others were right when it comes to the impact of Trumps losing and having the stink of failure on him. I really thought they'd double down and poo poo would get crazier (and it still might) but the right seems really divided right now and Biden so far has been a hard guy to really gently caress with.

Most of the redneck, MAGA, Q types down here seem to be reduced to mundane poo poo like making their trucks taller and louder, driving even more like assholes, going to the gun range more often and trying to outdo each other with the size of their US flags and Punisher Blue Line bumper stickers without scraping off the Trump ones. I suppose there's still a lot of them. Their numbers don't seem to have decreased but they come off ore and more as desperate for a place to focus their anger more than anything and come off like trying to find the One Thing to bitch about that will catch on instead of anything united or coherent. Not that they were ever coherent but you know.

One might maybe say they're keeping their powder dry. That and trying to Out Patriot the next person with empty displays of patriotism and sucking off cops writ large in cut adhesive vinyl and fabrics made in China.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think Trump getting perma banned from Twitter is the biggest reason the right hasn't been as coherent or united about things, and why people seem to care less about Trump himself. It's not so much the stink of failure, it's just he's not able to easily be seen anymore. If Trump wasn't banned from Twitter he'd still be on there every day saying how things are so unfair and sad and the messaging on the right would be stronger.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Always the same story about kids being kept in underground rape/cannibalism tunnels. Back in the 80's it was supposed to be Satanists building and trafficking kids through tunnels. What is it about difficult to build & conceal tunnel networks that these people find so compelling?
Late post but...

The sheer impossibility of hiding it re-enforces how powerful *They* are.

For some people, apparently the circular reasoning of "absence of evidence means evidence of absence" works very well, and stories like this rope them in. As long as you create a big enough baddie, you can create an equally big lie.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

stillvisions posted:

Late post but...
The sheer impossibility of hiding it re-enforces how powerful *They* are.
Exactly! In a way, it's - oddly enough - basic logic.
If you are investigating a possible crime but fail to find evidence of wrongdoing, there are by definition only three possible explanations.
1. The evidence exists but you are unable to find it because you are a poor investigator.
2. The evidence does not exist and so you cannot find it because there is no wrongdoing afoot.
3. The evidence exists but you are unable to find it because the criminal is extremely good at hiding their crimes.

The first two involve admitting you were wrong, which is a no-go for Conservatives, so yeah.

EDIT: Also note that the third option not only spares you the problem of admitting you were wrong but also casts you in an even more heroic light, in many ways, than if you had found the evidence. You're a brave and devoted hero struggling against overwhelming odds. Your enemy is powerful and your chances of victory slim, but you will carry on because it is the right thing to do.
Also: a victory is a one and done thing, in many ways. You have a moment of glory after, sure, but eventually people move on. If the struggle is endless, then so are the opportunities for grift and attention-seeking.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm reminded a bit of Umberto Eco on why some people believe risible nonsense (specifically Protocols of the Elders of Zion) even harder after it gets shown up as a ridiculous lie.

Umberto Eco posted:

This patchwork of largely fictional works makes the Protocols an incoherent text that easily reveals its fabricated origins. It is hardly credible, if not in a roman feuilleton or in a grand opera, that the “bad guys” should express their evil plans in such a frank and unashamed manner, that they should declare, as the Elders of Zion do, that they have “boundless ambition, a ravenous greed, a merciless desire for revenge and an intended hatred.” If at first the Protocols was taken seriously, it is because it was presented as a shocking revelation, and by sources all in all trustworthy. But what seems incredible is how this fake arose from its own ashes each time someone proved that it was, beyond all doubt, a fake. This is when the “novel of the Protocols” truly starts to sound like fiction. Following the article that appeared in 1921 in the Times of London revealing that the Protocols was plagiarized, as well as every other time some authoritative source confirmed the spurious nature of the Protocols, there was someone else who published it again claiming its authenticity. And the story continues unabated on the Internet today. It is as if, after Copernicus, Galileo, and Kepler, one were to continue publishing textbooks claiming that the sun travels around the earth.*

How can one explain resilience against all evidence, and the perverse appeal that this book continues to exercise? The answer can be found in the works of Nesta Webster, an antisemetic author who spent her life supporting this account of the Jewish plot. In her Secret Societies and Subversive Movements, she seems well informed and knows the whole story as Eisner narrates it here, but this is her conclusion:

"The only opinion I have committed myself is that, whether genuine or not, the Protocols represent the programme of a world revolution, and that in view of their prophetic nature and of their extraordinary resemblance to the protocols of certain secret societies of the past, they were either the work of some such society or of someone profoundly versed in the lore of secret society who was able to reproduce their ideas and phraseology."

Her reasoning is flawless: “since the Protocols say what I said in my story, they confirm it,” or: “the Protocols confirm the story that I derived from them, and are therefore authentic.” Better still: “the Protocols could be fake, but they say exactly what the Jews think, and must therefore be considered authentic.”

In other words, it is not the Protocols that produce antisemetism, it is people’s profound need to single out an Enemy that leads them to believe in the Protocols.

*Nice prediction of the Flat Earth Youtube to Q conveyor there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think Trump getting perma banned from Twitter is the biggest reason the right hasn't been as coherent or united about things, and why people seem to care less about Trump himself. It's not so much the stink of failure, it's just he's not able to easily be seen anymore. If Trump wasn't banned from Twitter he'd still be on there every day saying how things are so unfair and sad and the messaging on the right would be stronger.

I didn’t think the deplatforming thing would work as well as it had against these ghouls, as it usually just drives the ideas underground. But when it turns out the underground is badly coded, full of security holes, and run by grifters it actually works pretty loving brilliantly.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
That said, QAA covered a sudden recent Save The Children rally with a significant crowd with Trump stuff almost completely excised and one lady shilling her nonsense on Telegram, so it's not like this is all dead and buried now.

The next step is cracking the encrypted platforms.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BiggerBoat posted:

I gotta admit I was wrong and others were right when it comes to the impact of Trumps losing and having the stink of failure on him. I really thought they'd double down and poo poo would get crazier (and it still might) but the right seems really divided right now and Biden so far has been a hard guy to really gently caress with.

Most of the redneck, MAGA, Q types down here seem to be reduced to mundane poo poo like making their trucks taller and louder, driving even more like assholes, going to the gun range more often and trying to outdo each other with the size of their US flags and Punisher Blue Line bumper stickers without scraping off the Trump ones. I suppose there's still a lot of them. Their numbers don't seem to have decreased but they come off ore and more as desperate for a place to focus their anger more than anything and come off like trying to find the One Thing to bitch about that will catch on instead of anything united or coherent. Not that they were ever coherent but you know.

One might maybe say they're keeping their powder dry. That and trying to Out Patriot the next person with empty displays of patriotism and sucking off cops writ large in cut adhesive vinyl and fabrics made in China.

ill admit that having biden there is very effective when it comes to the "socialist dems" argument they always go with. still, the gop regulars will always tow the line and we'll see how things ramp up once the midterms get going.

also things would be very different if trump was still on twtitter, imo

guess it also helps that q hasnt posted since december

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

i think its a mix of biden so far being mostly good but also boring and trump mostly slinking off an licking his wounds and being isolated outside him stealing chud money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pretty much. The original V from the 1980s was initially pitched to the network as an adaptation of It Can't Happen Here but NBC was leery of using actual fascists so they subbed in alien fascists. And they didn't even do it subtly: scientists are targeted exactly like Jews during the Holocaust, there's a "Visitor Youth" program that indoctrinates a douchebag teenager who'd totally be a Reddit incel these days, and in case all of that wasn't enough there's a whole subplot of an elderly Holocaust survivor (played by the Baron's Doctor from Dune) whose role in the story to go "hey, do you get it yet?" to the audience. Even the alien logo is a slightly-modified Nazi swastika.

I'm not criticizing the producers for doing this, mind you, it's just very, very obvious what they did if you know the origin of the show.

They really weren't subtle at all. Honestly it seems it was less that the network was leery about depicting fascism and more producers being "Wait, if this is a fantastic sort of story we need some spaceships and aliens and stuff rather than just dry political drama, Star Wars is making absolute bank right now."