Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mister Olympus posted:

Buddha is also considered one of "the gods" in this framing, remember how he had to intentionally change to humanity's side? where the other three are clearly on humanity's side from the get-go here, which definitely implies something about Jesus (and Confucius for that matter).

Yeah, so I guess the Christian God is real but Jesus was just a prophet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Yeah, so I guess the Christian God is real but Jesus was just a prophet?

I mean, if Buddha can be a full god, rather than "just" a demigod, despite being born as a human, Jesus could similarly be divine yet born as in the mortal world, and also pro-human despite said divinity. Him not being one of the fighters doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a god too, after all, just that he didn't want to fight and/or wasn't picked to do so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Or the manga is taking the position that Mohammed was right

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

There's a new Record of Ragnarok

This month we finally find out where Jesus is!
I'd say this is less Nightmare Mode and more Buddha Must Die. Especially since Buddha's got a rather versatile arsenal, by the looks of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bonus chapter for Welcome to the Ballroom.
Communal bathrooms are already awkward to me, now imagine one that's not designed for it.

EDIT: I guess there's also a new chapter with several new dance groups introduced
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/8KLpNAo/1/1/

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 6, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mister Olympus posted:

Or the manga is taking the position that Mohammed was right

Well I mean the Islamic take on the situation isn't particularly different. Mary/Maryam is still a holy virgin. She was chosen by God, purified, impregnated by the holy spirit, and gave birth to Jesus/Isa who is the Messiah. Who will still come again in the final days to fight the Anti-Christ/Al-Masih ad-Dajjal and usher in eternal peace on Earth. The only real difference as far as Islam is concerned is adding "And also Mohammed is loving rad" to the end.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the Islamic take on the situation isn't particularly different. Mary/Maryam is still a holy virgin. She was chosen by God, purified, impregnated by the holy spirit, and gave birth to Jesus/Isa who is the Messiah. Who will still come again in the final days to fight the Anti-Christ/Al-Masih ad-Dajjal and usher in eternal peace on Earth. The only real difference as far as Islam is concerned is adding "And also Mohammed is loving rad" to the end.

But he isn't God tho

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Shuumatsu No Valkyrie 47

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I haven’t finished reading it. But whoever translated like a Buddha out of hell needs to get a pat on the back for job well done.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

such a dope manga

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I thought this was going to be a surprisingly normal flashback for a second there, but Buddha gaining enlightenment through an early-life crisis spurred on by the death of an admired relative is pretty great.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
There are some strong similarities in this flashback to the stories told about the actual historical Gautama Buddha. Broadly, his circumstances were similarly privileged, and similarly he got a rude shock that caused him to abandon that privileged lifestyle to seek enlightenment. However, the details in this manga definitely differ, and it's very much an alternative take on Gautama, though an interesting one. I'll note also, we have little info about Gautama Buddha's life outside legends. Also, the name of King Jakata seems to be taken from the name of a collection of tales about the Buddha's past lives, the Jakatas.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don’t know if it’s global, but record of Ragnarok the anime is coming to Netflix on Thursday.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Kiichi!! is back on the menu

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

was worried kiichi!! would end up not getting translated again when mangadex died. glad to see thats not the case and a group formed to finish it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
March Lion is still pretty good.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/KiichiTeam/status/1408957377207050243

three crazy rear end chapters of kiichi!!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Chapter 48 of Record of Ragnarök has been released.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aww, that's sweet. The winner isn't surprising though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was very one-sided and there's no official winner declaration text like there was after every other fight. Watch out Buddha. :ohdear:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 29, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Darth TNT posted:

Aww, that's sweet. The winner isn't surprising though.

Chapter 49 was also released today. You might change your opinion, just based on the raw.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It's nice that Buddha is helping Zero work through his issues, but I don't expect Zero to hold back when he gets his inevitable second wind.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So chapter 49 of Record of Ragnarök is out...

Puberty over.

Also, Beelzebub appears! Not the most inspired design but looks alright.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just going to go ahead and offer a preemptive RIP for Buddha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I believe in the Enlightened One.

Until I meet him on the road, then I have to kill him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mmmm. So I guess Buddha beat Zerofuku, this guy has a new name.
I didn’t expect this though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know
If you consider what Zerofuku actually did in the past and the results of his interactions with people, it makes sense hes Hajun.

Also beelzebub being evil science god. Interesting

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ethiser posted:

Just going to go ahead and offer a preemptive RIP for Buddha.

Yeah I'm guessing Buddha "cures" Zerofuku but dies in the process(and loses the match).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know
If you consider what Zerofuku actually did in the past and the results of his interactions with people, it makes sense hes Hajun.

Mind explaining why and who Hajun is?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

Mind explaining why and who Hajun is?

The TLs explain it at the end of the chapter but tldr: Hajun aka Papiyas in sanskrit is a demon of temptation in buddhism who makes people stray from the paths of enlightenment. Has overlap with Mara, who serves a similar purpose but is distinct from hajun. both are often depicted in opposition as enemies to the buddhas.

seeing how the people who zerofuku helped became decadent hedonists makes me think theres something deeper regarding who zerofuku (really) is and if the other gods, namely beelzebub, had a hand in that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ahh the version I read cut off the translators notes for some reason

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Behold, a satan.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh jeez, this is gonna end really sadly, isn't-

*Zeromaru starts crying black tears and his horns slide into his mouth and chest like parasitic worms*

:stare:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So it was my brilliant ideas god knows how many years ago that "I can just buy one volume of Trigun a month and it'll be nothing. I'll collect them all in no time and spend pretty much no money." Well, I don't work well with a schedule and always forgot. I ended up only getting Trigun 1 and 2 and Trigun Maximum 1-3. Could ahve easily owned the whole series by now if I held to my schedule but what can you do. I'm gonna finally just bite the bullet and buy most of the series right her and now. Dark Horse has a discount if you buy 5 at a time.

I dunno what it is, maybe going back and re-watching Yu Yu Hakusho made me nostalgic and reminded me of this, of how everyone always told me the Trigun manga is so much more interesting and developed than the anime. I'm curious to finally put that to the test.

Also when reflecting on how Yusuke is probably my favorite shounen main character, I thought of Vash. Only he was in a shounen that became a seinen so...what do? All I know is I typically dislike protagonists in stories like this. A super idealistic hero is very, very hard for me to get behind. But Vash, at least in the anime, was always written and presented so well that I loved him. The idealism did not make me want to hurl. It was actually believable and inspirational.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that one newish(??) Trigun movie whipped rear end

Trigun owns

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Shuumatsu No Valkyrie 50

Finally we’ve got an actual fight going.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RatHat posted:

Shuumatsu No Valkyrie 50

YOOOOOOOOOOOO

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And this is when Jesus Christ tags in! He's not gonna leave his buddy and former-roommate hanging.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Shuumatsu No Valkyrie 50

I''m getting a little tired of this fight. I was fine with how it ended with Zerofuku, but now this guy comes along. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth TNT posted:

I''m getting a little tired of this fight. I was fine with how it ended with Zerofuku, but now this guy comes along. :shrug:

Kinda same.