Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm sorry the climate thread made you actually depressed, but i'm having a hard time not laughing at the image of someone asking an actual climatologist about cspam posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, the economic and covid threads aren’t pretty much the same. Not all doom can come true at once even if a lot of it still does.

As far as materialism, it depends on competition.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Impermanent posted:

weird rich psychos dreaming up scenarios where they're compelled to make more naked the chains that bind is not new. The fear existed and assumes new forms.

This is the 1% psycho version of making your routine restaurant the "eat local" place.

the point is that even mad max conditions the basic problem of "organizing" persists. the ruling class need to worry about how to get their surplus value and the working class need to worry about how to get the ruling class. if anything the situation will be worse for the bosses as climate change intensifies (or at least, that's what they seem to imagine); it's just a drat shame that so much will have been lost in even getting to that point

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm sorry the climate thread made you actually depressed, but i'm having a hard time not laughing at the image of someone asking an actual climatologist about cspam posts

ok lmao that would own. I was more asking about climate change itself but honestly keep that mental image because it's funnier.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ferrinus posted:

that's my favorite part. in the global uprising the revolutionary forces of the USA will have to contend with canadian revanchists

1812 shall be avenged

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dreddout posted:

1812 shall be avenged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Ufe0jF-AE

1778 but close enough

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Impermanent posted:

two years ago i got deep into the climate change thread and went into a months long depressive break that I'm still feeling the effects of, even after doing a fuckload of independent research and talking to a bunch of climatologists and finding that the majority of the posters in that thread are deeply unwell to the point of exaggerating for the worst even in the face of a massively dark and complex situation.

The problem with internet leftists is that materialism unlocks a methodology for being correct about things few others are willing to acknowledge. Like any group of people with specialized knowledge (doctors, programmers, engineers) they immediately assume this new found power applies cross-discipline, and indeed in every facet of life and society. But you only know what you study.

See for me I've never been depressed by climate thread so i'll never be able to bridge the gap to goons who get hella depressed... my mind is too strong, its like solid granite. I've been called a doomer randomly & honestly it makes me lol so much. just imagining myself in the mirror saying some epic depressed poo poo lmfao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

A game that would be pretty spot on for the future of humanity is probably Deserts of Kharak.
i love that game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dreddout posted:

1812 shall be avenged

a new iron curtain drawn across
the 49th parallel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HuWgP-hwCY

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

I remember back when I used to read and care about theory

it feels like an exercise in futility these days. you can dissect the putrefying corpse as much as you like, it will not create new life

a 4 paragraph screed about modding is even less appetizing to me

maybe this is all a reaction to a profound sense of alienation and powerless, I don't know. may you find whatever it is you seek, wayward poster ferrinus

you spend enough time litigating the dead and fighting already won and lost fights on their behalf and you begin to wonder why nothing around you bears anything or can even bother to grow

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Finicums Wake posted:

"Dear sire, this animated image of a man laughing while driving his car away from a meteor shower impels me to ask you a question of great importance: does a one degree increase mean I have to begin considering something not hydroponic?"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

massive carbon capture is the only thing thats going to prevent mega-deaths in the coming decades if we got started on them 5 years ago

i was watching a stream of a documentary about the great pacific garbage patch and the chat started spamming "CARBON CAPTURE" and i lol'd

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i say swears online posted:

i was watching a stream of a documentary about the great pacific garbage patch and the chat started spamming "CARBON CAPTURE" and i lol'd

we should be planting so many loving forests right now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

imagine if the great plains were a giant forest like siberia but could support majority broadleaf. we could do it in twenty five years lol

i've always enjoyed the thought of me leaving behind oodles of perennials when i die

a fun idea i've thought about is a command economy that gives everyone a full set of thicc wood furniture when they get their own place

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Johnny Appleseed was real and he planted a shitload of trees but didn’t do any grafting as you would with apples you eat, all those apples were for hooch-makin’

Real American hero, that man

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

a fun idea i've thought about is a command economy that gives everyone a full set of thicc wood furniture when they get their own place

this is a society that takes pride in comfort. *reclines back on government-provided Adirondack*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fruit seems messy, i'mma plant pecans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a couple of pages from Stephen Kotkin's "Magnetic Mountain", talking about Soviet housing policy

\

\

These are from the 1920s-30s, so not even yet covering the grander developments of the Khrushchev era, but even already it seems like a pretty sweet deal just from being able to avoid eviction under most circumstances, on top of being assigned a living space just from signing up at a job.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you rule for posting all these excerpts btw, i read every single one

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i am all about reading as many sources as possible but drat if kotkin isnt grossly anti-communist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trash Ops posted:

i am all about reading as many sources as possible but drat if kotkin isnt grossly anti-communist

I tend to view it the way Losurdo talked about Anne Applebaum: if even the gross anti-communists can project a vision of the Soviet Union that looks good to our eyes, it helps clear the air relative to if it was coming from a sympathetic author.

Obviously there are limits to this, but it sharpens the mind to have to look for the meaning in-between the lines.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

them: ONE HUNDRED MILLION VICTIMS

me: *nods intently*

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
its pretty awesome you could apparently just raise a big enough stink and get a home

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's a couple of pages from Stephen Kotkin's "Magnetic Mountain", talking about Soviet housing policy

\

\

These are from the 1920s-30s, so not even yet covering the grander developments of the Khrushchev era, but even already it seems like a pretty sweet deal just from being able to avoid eviction under most circumstances, on top of being assigned a living space just from signing up at a job.

was it you that recently posted some book excepts talking about soviet gulags? where was that it was interesting and i cant find it anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

was it you that recently posted some book excepts talking about soviet gulags? where was that it was interesting and i cant find it anymore

here you go

gradenko_2000 posted:

the "fiercely anti-communist American author" being quoted in these passages is none other than Anne Applebaum

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

rounding it out i have robert service to thank for the trotsky im horny babaay but my dick only work for u letter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ty

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
degrowth makes sense to me as part of the solution. all the explanations i've seen make it clear that developed countries need to do more, faster, and that it's not about smothering under-developed countries even more.

idk why ppl on here seem to hate on it so much... seems to be partly amerikan ideology, partly deterministic views on how development happens.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

exmarx posted:

degrowth makes sense to me as part of the solution. all the explanations i've seen make it clear that developed countries need to do more, faster, and that it's not about smothering under-developed countries even more.

idk why ppl on here seem to hate on it so much... seems to be partly amerikan ideology, partly deterministic views on how development happens.

my tendies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I thought we were already past the “forests can save us” tipping point

I’m telling you. space umbrella. all the benefits of atmospheric scattering with none of the ozone depletion, ocean acidification, or potential for irreversible catastrophic weather impacts. it’s never floated as a serious proposal because it could only be the responsibility of the US and the EU, and possibly China, and none of the interests that control them want to pay for something everyone would benefit from. it’d cost about ~1/4 of a single year the US military budget. Musk or Bezos could personally finance it and still be one of the ten richest humans after its all paid for, but also celebrated as a god-king for the remainder of human history

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

I’m telling you. space umbrella. all the benefits of atmospheric scattering with none of the ozone depletion, ocean acidification, or potential for irreversible catastrophic weather impacts. it’s never floated as a serious proposal because it could only be the responsibility of the US and the EU, and possibly China, and none of the interests that control them want to pay for something everyone would benefit from. it’d cost about ~1/4 of a single year the US military budget. Musk or Bezos could personally finance it and still be one of the ten richest humans after its all paid for, but also celebrated as a god-king for the remainder of human history

detonate the Yellowstone Supervolcano

ashfall blots out the sun, triggers global cooling, solves global warming

destroys America

win-win-win

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we're facing ecocide in at least three related but independent ways

we might be able to find and implement some sort of technical solution for specifically global warming, but then you've still got our ongoing ecosystem collapse and the insanely bleak stuff going on in the oceans to deal with

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah that’s why I think irreversibly seeding the oceans and all arable land with gigatons of ash is a bad temporary fix

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i don't know what the solutions are, but i can guarantee they don't involve space bull poo poo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whenever people say stuff like "well sure it's late but we're getting there, we'll probably limit warming to 2,5 degrees or similar non-apocalyptic numbers" i start smiling like a shark*

which is to say i bare a set of decaying teeth which betray my simultaneous poisoning through a number of exotic chemicals and waste products, some of which are not actually supposed to exist in the world

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sharks can eat poison idgaf. thinking they’re so cool

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

indigi posted:

sharks can eat poison idgaf. thinking they’re so cool

my favorite is the greenland shark

just big, dumb, slow and primeveal