Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Finally finished day 1. How do you make money in this game? And are Mazovian socio-economics worth it?

Get a bag and pick up bottles like a hobo, collect postcards and other junk to sell, beg people for handouts, some thoughts also give coin on certain actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Early on in particular there's characters you can ask for money from, with quite varying results, but there's also collecting loose change (Tab is your friend) and tare (recyclable bottles) that you can exchange at the machine in the shop, though you need to find a bag first. There's also some Thoughts that will increase the money you can get from either.

It's not something to be worried about too much though, you kinda have to go out of your way to fail to get enough money to survive your first couple days.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You gotta hustle and grind

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I tried getting the money generating thought as early as possible, but I never came close to being able to afford that street light in the pawn shop. You'd have to cheat it somehow, I assume. I wonder what happens?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Finally finished day 1. How do you make money in this game? And are Mazovian socio-economics worth it?

mazovian socio-economics is the worst thought in the game. doesn't stop me from taking it though.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Picking up bottles is a scam,a boring tedious job that pays like poo poo, almost like it's a metaphor or something.
Lie,scam or trick rich people and landlords, like God intended.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sankara posted:

I tried getting the money generating thought as early as possible, but I never came close to being able to afford that street light in the pawn shop. You'd have to cheat it somehow, I assume. I wonder what happens?

You own it. However you have nowhere to put it and even if you did no one is willing to help you move it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

christmas boots posted:

You own it. However you have nowhere to put it and even if you did no one is willing to help you move it

You should be able to put it in the night club imo. I'm sure some of the current occupants would be happy to help you move it there.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

Sankara posted:

Nah you can purchase it without cheating. I think I ended up my last play through with a net worth of around 230,000.

Never found anything to do with it, but then I didn't look too hard either.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Freddles posted:

I ended up my last play through with a net worth of around 230,000.

You'll be first in line when we bring back the firing squads! :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't know if it's some setting or whatever but you don't even need to hold Tab to highlight objects you can poke in the environment. Right click will do it now. I assume Kim spoke to somebody about this to save us time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

christmas boots posted:

You gotta hustle and grind
But how do you get the cool outfits that don't smell like failure?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

But how do you get the cool outfits that don't smell like failure?

Just don't put them on, then the smell won't rub off onto them. :P

More seriously, mostly you just gather up scrips and scraps of money as you explore new places. The pawn shop is also helpful. There are some items that might be useful clues, but can certainly be pawned off too.

There are weird ways to try and get more cash out of the game if you've already beaten it once. Getting to day 3 having done as little as possible then getting Wompty Dompty Dom centre. Getting Kim's hubcaps THEN begging Joyce for money then STILL PAWNING the hubcaps. You monster. Mostly these aren't really 'worth it'

Or like, open up your savefile and change the money number. It's what, plaintext inside a .json I think people have mentioned? Probably googlable at least.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I shouldn't be surprised but the second wave of jackets evaporated even more instantly than the first, god drat. Everyone can enjoy new art from the thought cabinet guy though https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/horsey-horse

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

I shouldn't be surprised but the second wave of jackets evaporated even more instantly than the first, god drat. Everyone can enjoy new art from the thought cabinet guy though https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/horsey-horse
I wish there was a skill tree poster with the descriptions for each on them. I can only find the skill tree itself on a google search.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This world Is fuckity hosed by the Pale and will eventually cease to exist, isn't it?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Did my game break? I was little kids told me about some funny stuff they heard and Kim said he wanted to talk with me. I get the indicator that he has something to tell me, but if I click on him I just get the normal old options.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sininu posted:

Did my game break? I was little kids told me about some funny stuff they heard and Kim said he wanted to talk with me. I get the indicator that he has something to tell me, but if I click on him I just get the normal old options.

The new dialogue might be listed under an old option.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sean10mm posted:

The new dialogue might be listed under an old option.

Yeah, I lost it :( There was nothing new anywhere and after reloading the game the indicator is gone as well.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Grouchio posted:

This world Is fuckity hosed by the Pale and will eventually cease to exist, isn't it?

Harry can tell you himself pretty early on - "There are 9,855 days remaining."

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, I think I missed out on the kids task thanks to that bug, Kim referred to me having it while talking about the point of no return. :(

Not sure how much game I got left after that. I decided to retreat, sleep and go finish the few last things I had left to do.

Oh! What is up with the fast travel? It sucks to use because you have to run to the specific locations you are allowed to use, but then suddenly it stopped working altogether??

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 1, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

Harry can tell you himself pretty early on - "There are 9,855 days remaining."

That is until the bomb and destruction of Revachol not consumption by the pale.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That is until the bomb and destruction of Revachol not consumption by the pale.

naw, the bomb is before that - I don't have the dialogue in front of me but I think that's in 22 years. the pale apocalypse is in 27 years (9855/365). this is supported by the game blog outright stating "28 years remain until the end of the world."

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
First play through, early-ish on day 2. Is it possible to get bottlenecked into a single path? I fought measurehead and lost, and the rest of the convo tree with him seems dead. I’ve interacted with Titus and did try to arrest him after failing the initial authority check. Have explored the dead gaming studio and dice maker.

Basically at a loss as to where to look next - light hints are appreciated. My only lead is to wait until 21:00 to talk to guy incognito but that seems like a waste of most of the day.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

causticBeet posted:

First play through, early-ish on day 2. Is it possible to get bottlenecked into a single path? I fought measurehead and lost, and the rest of the convo tree with him seems dead. I’ve interacted with Titus and did try to arrest him after failing the initial authority check. Have explored the dead gaming studio and dice maker.

Basically at a loss as to where to look next - light hints are appreciated. My only lead is to wait until 21:00 to talk to guy incognito but that seems like a waste of most of the day.

are you aware of how to reopen white checks? either get a relevant hint from elsewhere (eg. the scab leader will suggest how better to punch Measurehead) or spend a point leveling up the relevant skill and associated white checks become available again. there are like 3 or 4 checks in total that you absolutely must pass to finish the game (and based on your post you haven't seen any of them) but none of them are one-and-done

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

causticBeet posted:

Do you understand how White Checks work?

Have to spoken to other nearby people about say, Measurehead? Have you considered pretending to agree with him?

Have you spoken to the rich lady on a boat?

Have you spoken to the nice lady with the cool wheels about your problems?

Have you investigated weird bits of of the yard?

EDIT : Have you considered just buying and playing a nice boardgame with Kim and hoping the next day is better? gently caress police work. It's hard and boring.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Before you go buying board games make sure you have enough money left over to pay for your room on the second night

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

are you aware of how to reopen white checks? either get a relevant hint from elsewhere (eg. the scab leader will suggest how better to punch Measurehead) or spend a point leveling up the relevant skill and associated white checks become available again. there are like 3 or 4 checks in total that you absolutely must pass to finish the game (and based on your post you haven't seen any of them) but none of them are one-and-done

Generally yes, but I haven’t focused too much on them. I’ll poke around those for a bit. Part of my problem is that I thiiiink I’ve exhausted most of the available conversation trees, so it will be hard to find the detail based reopens so I can get some xp to reopen others. With that said focusing on any open white checks is def what I should follow up on.

Appreciate the advice from you and the other poster above!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Generally yes, but I haven’t focused too much on them. I’ll poke around those for a bit. Part of my problem is that I thiiiink I’ve exhausted most of the available conversation trees, so it will be hard to find the detail based reopens so I can get some xp to reopen others. With that said focusing on any open white checks is def what I should follow up on.

Appreciate the advice from you and the other poster above!

it's worth pointing out that dialogue options being dimmer after you pick them doesn't mean there's nothing new behind them. like, if you ask a character "so what's the deal with the strike?" and pick through the dialogue options behind it, "so what's the deal with the strike?" will be grayed out. if you then hear somebody claim that the strike is funded by, I dunno, seolite wreckers, you can go back to that character and check if that dialogue option now has a "I heard it was seolite wreckers" line behind it - but the initial "so what's the deal with the strike?" line will still be dimmed, even with the new option.

so in this vein you definitely haven't exhausted every possible option - in particular, there are multiple ways into the harbor besides what you tried. but of course there are plenty of options for you to take without combing through poo poo you've already looked at, as described

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also remember that your map has a list of all white checks you've encountered, where they are, and what you need to pass them, what you need to unlock another attempt or if you can make another attempt right now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I definitely overoptimised my Hardcore Mode build. About to finish up and I've got like 300 real in pocket. Wompty Dompty Dom Center is OP as gently caress. I didn't even fine Gary.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So, what is the point of achieving anything in the Elysium world if all of it's gonna get swallowed up by anti-matter in a few centuries? And apparently humanity would spread it amongst the stars if they went spaceborne so that's a no-go either?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Grouchio posted:

So, what is the point of achieving anything in the Elysium world if all of it's gonna get swallowed up by anti-matter in a few centuries? And apparently humanity would spread it amongst the stars if they went spaceborne so that's a no-go either?

well, that's kind of the thesis. "You should build communism precisely *because* it is impossible."

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Grouchio posted:

Does this question not hold a mirror up to our own world quite well?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also the Pale isn’t the end. After the Pale comes the world again

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grouchio posted:

Based on some stuff you can find from day 3 on, I am not so sure, given that if Dolores Dei was in fact some kind of divine or supernatural figure, her big statement has a final clause of 'after the pale, the world.' I forget the exact phrasing. Of course, if Dolores Dei just knew that the pale would settle out like some sort of bizarre geological stratum onto the underlying physical matter after humans died out, this would still be an accurate statement.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

well, that's kind of the thesis. "You should build communism precisely *because* it is impossible."

I dunno, I got a very different message. To me, it seemed like "You should build communism even though you may never see it in your lifetime." It's an a task worth attempting even if it fails because there is no other choice. At worst, it's either "die to capitalism" or "die trying to fight capitalism".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, I got a very different message. To me, it seemed like "You should build communism even though you may never see it in your lifetime." It's an a task worth attempting even if it fails because there is no other choice. At worst, it's either "die to capitalism" or "die trying to fight capitalism".

The sentiment comes from Volition which is basically the closest thing you have to a conscience so to me it reads as “you should build communism. Maybe you’ll never see it in your lifetime. Maybe it can’t be done at all. But it’s the right thing to do, and that’s reason enough.”

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's what I get for using volition as a dump stat in all my playthroughs.

Like a proper cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah, empathy seems like it’s your ability to be a good person, but it’s actually volition.