Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I actually like time stories where the point ends up being that there's a version of you that did something incredibly heroic but you yourself will never know because the inciting chain events never happened for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

multijoe posted:

Nah the writers were lazy hacks too for the most part, Ron Moore left in disgust after a couple of episodes because they sucked so much poo poo

The story that he tells about how he got brought on for Equinox (which is still one of my favorite Voyager stories) and how just that one two-parter and how they approached it was enough to ruin Voyager for him is so sad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

The story that he tells about how he got brought on for Equinox (which is still one of my favorite Voyager stories) and how just that one two-parter and how they approached it was enough to ruin Voyager for him is so sad.

And then he made Battlestar Galactica as a gently caress you to Voyager's wasted potential and Rick Berman's dickheaded mismanagement of it and wound up ruining it himself and squandering its potential through mismanagement because all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't even remember which Star Trek thread the EXPERIENCE BIJ gangtags came from, was it this one?

Does anyone at all know if I can get that back? :smith:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

So, this makes the Pegasus arc of BSG another layer of his grand revenge against the squandering of Voyager?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

nine-gear crow posted:

And then he made Battlestar Galactica as a gently caress you to Voyager's wasted potential and Rick Berman's dickheaded mismanagement of it and wound up ruining it himself and squandering its potential through mismanagement because all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again...

Was it mismanagement? I never really looked up what went wrong with s3 and 4, but at least from viewing it, it was just the story they wanted to tell for those seasons was horrible and counter to the first two.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just watched TNG's 'Frame of Mind' and I'm blown away by the writing of the episode and the acting chops of Jonathan Frakes. What an absolute mindfuck that was, such a good ep.

Could have easily fit as an episode of The Twilight Zone too!

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 30, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, I like Frame of Mind and I’m always surprised when people either hate it or are totally indifferent to it. It’s solid and Frakes is great in it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Disheveled Frakes makes me so uneasy. All it takes is some slightly mussed up hair. See also: Parallels.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also Schisms.

The Templin Institute did a video on the Galaxy class, if you need a reminder on how it’s the best.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Frame of Mind is like, my second favorite TNG episode. I unironically love the early 90s video toaster shatter effect.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I like Frame of Mind and I’m always surprised when people either hate it or are totally indifferent to it. It’s solid and Frakes is great in it.

I hate Frame of Mind largely because of personal experiences with gaslighting and other psychological abuse. However I don’t think it’s a bad episode, in fact I think it’s done quite well, especially with Riker going to dismantle the play set at the end. For me personally it’s just an episode I skip.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kwatz posted:

I hate Frame of Mind largely because of personal experiences with gaslighting and other psychological abuse. However I don’t think it’s a bad episode, in fact I think it’s done quite well, especially with Riker going to dismantle the play set at the end. For me personally it’s just an episode I skip.

Same for same.

I like making other people who need to understand those things and lack direct experience with those things watch Frame of Mind!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Darkmateria of Picard Song fame has a much less famous Frame of Mind song as well. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hSF48WK6SFY

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Take Me Out to the Holosuite is a delightful episode. The low stakes are a nice change of pace from episode dealing with a galaxy wide war, unraveling military alliances, and conflicts between alien gods causing weird none linear causality loops and mental breakdowns caused enabling the death of millions of your own people (god sakes season 7 is busy). There some good bits of comedy like Nog tagging out the runner who did not touch home base and Worf saying "death to the opposition." Also the victory being the realization the the Vulcan team will when but the could never enjoy playing the game was great.

Edit: *Worf

side_burned fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 1, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

side_burned posted:

WordBadgie saying "death to the opposition."

:allears:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
On a whim decided to watch Meld and Basics. So good. I bet you could show someone half a dozen episodes and make them believe Voyager is the best Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Even at its absolute best, there’s still this kind of low effort malaise to Voyager. With a few exceptions the cast has basically zero chemistry, so every episode lives or dies by the strength of its plot.

Voyager doesn’t have many Move Along Homes or Fistful of Datas where a bad episode can be somewhat salvaged by little character moments.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, TNG is very character based, so you enjoy watching whatever they get up to, even if the plot is a little meh. Voyager is the exact opposite, where the characters are mostly fairly empty vessels to move the plot along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I can't even remember which Star Trek thread the EXPERIENCE BIJ gangtags came from, was it this one?

Does anyone at all know if I can get that back? :smith:

I made the BIJ tag for the Modern Trek thread originally but it's also for this thread too.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even at its absolute best, there’s still this kind of low effort malaise to Voyager. With a few exceptions the cast has basically zero chemistry, so every episode lives or dies by the strength of its plot.

Voyager doesn’t have many Move Along Homes or Fistful of Datas where a bad episode can be somewhat salvaged by little character moments.

Bride of Chaotica! is Voyager's Fistful of Datas, except it's actually kind of really good.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The slow gas leak is a perfect way to describe both the cast of Voyager and also what it feels like to watch it.

I dunno, also something about the lighting of the show always just felt off to me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I've been trying to watch Voyager again because I felt like I was being unfair to it and it's like, nope, it's exactly how I remembered it.

Janeway, Tuvok, and the Doctor (and Seven eventually I guess) are the only characters worth a drat and every other character on the show is hatefully bad in one or more ways. And Janeway only manages to be good because Kate Mulgrew turned in some really great performances for an awful and inconsistently written character.

It's also the techno-babbliest Trek by a loving mile.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've been watching Enterprise lately and it isn't quite as bad as I remember. It is pretty bland, but in a serviceable way.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
An amusing thing about Star Trek is that the computer consoles don't have any logic to them, they're just pretty patterns. This becomes hilarious when an actor pretends he is reading something off a console and the camera shows nothing changing on the console. An example is this still from Gambit Part II.

In this scene, the character is searching the ship's computer for a hidden message that Picard has sent to the Enterprise. She confidently says "She's right!", but nothing changed on that computer display.

There's a similar scene in Gambit where the alien doctor notices that Riker has regained consciousness. The camera gives us a direct view of his computer panel, and its static.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 1, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Voyager's best episode is pretty low bar compared to DS9 or TNG's best. I can tell everyone was frustrated by the show on set, cause it comes through in the performances hard.

Enterprise never seems to know what it is doing, and even its good concepts end up really boring. The xindi expedition is one of them, attempting to set a time limit and make them desperate, but in practice, it just is so uninteresting. I remember like the 3 episodes of the whole season and even then, I they weren't that engaging.

I know there are actual voyager and enterprise apologists that try to say it was the best trek, but I really can't see it. I can't see it ever approaching a good DS9 episode or an well done TNG.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Voyager episode where Nelix starts a shipwide breakfast TV show and gets obsessed with investigative journalism is a bad episode. Not only is it full of liberal wank-material about the "power of the free press", but it makes no sense as TNG has established television as a media died a long time ago, and yet Neelix apparently gets the idea from his crewmates, or somehow is familiar with it and it's tropes.

It's sort of funny that the episode can't quite decide if it wants to cater more to the liberal sensibility of the benevolent security state or the one about the free press, with Nelix first reporting his findings about a possible spy directly to security, being told to let them handle it, nobly deciding to go "gently caress that" and bungling it, and then compromising his journalistic ethics by willingly collaborating with security, using his reporting to flush out the spy, ending with him killing the guy himself.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 1, 2021

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Fistful of Datas is one of the best episodes. It was like the second episode I showed my wife to get her hooked on TNG. It's pure fun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Xinlum posted:

Fistful of Datas is one of the best episodes. It was like the second episode I showed my wife to get her hooked on TNG. It's pure fun.

I hope Brent Spiner had fun with it too, it really shows the range of the actor. Must have been nice for him to finally be able to do something like that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sash! posted:

I've been watching Enterprise lately and it isn't quite as bad as I remember. It is pretty bland, but in a serviceable way.

Yeah, I will defend Enterprise to the death as a solid 6/10 Star Trek show. It's totally okay if you've exhausted all the good Trek and still want to watch more.

Voyager just feels like all the worst parts of Trek wrapped up in a highly mediocre package.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Xinlum posted:

Marina Sirtis playing Troi playing Durango is great too. Man, they really wasted her. Both of her. That should've been Troi's thing; every time somebody goes into the Holodeck, Troi's there, going all-out on a character.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nine-gear crow posted:

I made the BIJ tag for the Modern Trek thread originally but it's also for this thread too.

Thanks, the mods got back to me so now I'm back in BIJ baby!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, by why do they call it a "transporter" instead of "teleporter"? "Teleporter" sounds more specific.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Probably just because it sounded newer and different and maybe more sciency in the 1960s.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, by why do they call it a "transporter" instead of "teleporter"? "Teleporter" sounds more specific.

It specifically only does (relatively) short range :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kurzon posted:

Kibayasu posted:

Probably just because it sounded newer and different and maybe more sciency in the 1960s.

Yeah, my guess would be that "teleport" has connotations of wizards and magic while "transport" sounds more machine-y.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The idea and word of teleportation already definitely existed. I’m not sure anyone has ever spoken about why the transporter is called a transporter. It may have been an ad hoc name. The original pitch for Trek didn’t include the concept of teleportation at all: if they wanted to get the cast onto a planet, the ship would land there. They only abandoned this and came up with beaming because it was a much more feasible effect.

Kibayasu posted:

Honestly it seems more like the opposite of this. “Teleporter” sounds exotic and weird. “Transporter” is more prosaic or normal-sounding, like the kind of thing you might call it if you used it everyday.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

By “newer” I mostly just meant “newer than teleporter” which had been a thing in sci-fi for a long time. Sounding more mundane may have been a thing they wanted as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Axe-man posted:

Enterprise never seems to know what it is doing, and even its good concepts end up really boring. The xindi expedition is one of them, attempting to set a time limit and make them desperate, but in practice, it just is so uninteresting. I remember like the 3 episodes of the whole season and even then, I they weren't that engaging.

The problem with the Xindi season is that it’s still 24 full episodes, so everything either gets repetitive or blurs together. I’m an Enterprise apologist and aside from the general arc of the season I can still only really remember a handful of standout episodes. The Trip clone, the alternate future NX-01, the other alternate future where they fail, and the Detroit episode where they order burgers. It’s not a bad season and incorporating some serialization was a good idea, but there’s just so much filler. You could easily tell the same story in a 9-12 episode arc and then spend the rest of the season addressing the aftermath or moving beyond it entirely. There’s a reason heavily serialized seasons nowadays are usually only 6-13 episodes.

I really think modern Trek should adopt season’s 4 mini-arc format because it’s a nice happy medium between TNG-style “purely episodic where everything has to return to the status quo at the end” storytelling and Disco/Picard’s “oh gently caress the entire season is one convoluted plot so we have to be on our game 100% in every episode or else it’s a mess” format. Even DS9 knew you had to space out your larger plot beats and break up the monotony with bottle episodes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I really think heavily serialized stories should last tops 4-5 episodes, and even that is stretching it. Last decade we really hit an era where “woah we can make a 50 hour movie” became a novel reality, but it’s usually boring and stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I really think heavily serialized stories should last tops 4-5 episodes, and even that is stretching it. Last decade we really hit an era where “woah we can make a 50 hour movie” became a novel reality, but it’s usually boring and stupid as gently caress.
The most recent Marvel TV show did a 6 episode season that was one arc and I think that was about the perfect length for the story