Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, that's why it works in places like Europe. 20% VAT on everything, everywhere. Parts of Canada are still kind of messy, but most provinces have harmonized the provincial sales tax and federal sales tax into HST, but that total rate does vary province to province depending on the provincial rate.
The hosed up thing is how these things only apply to used vehicles. And sort of arbitrarily too. Every time a vehicle changes hands, the province collects sales tax on it, based either on bill of sale price (motorbikes) or the greater value of bill of sale or wholesale book value (cars). It's the only category of used goods I can think of that incurs sales tax on private sale. I'm sure technically you're supposed to collect tax from a buyer when you sell an old lawn mower too, but there's no legal mechanism enforce it.

You had me worried for a second, cause I don't recall getting tax involved on any person-to-person vehicle sale I've been part of. Turns out Alberta's just like that~! No PST, no inspections, and no front plates on your car.

(Hopefully when Kenney is kicked to the curb and the NDP come back into power, they remember that sales taxes are regressive and try something else...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

metavisual posted:

I noped hard and then worried I wouldn't be able to find a reasonably price good place since they own everything.

On a whim I stopped at another place (North Reading Powersports, for the people in Mass!)

Holy poo poo what a difference. An hour later I had signed on the line for a 2019 cb300r.
The guy came on a Saturday morning, took the bike off the truck, and then spent half hour explaining some of the maintenance stuff about my bike with me, in my driveway. For FREE.
I will absolutely be buying my next bike from them.

The only bike I've ever bought new, I bought from a dealer 45 miles away vs. the one that's 10 minutes from my house strictly because there was no bullshit involved. Very similar experience to yours.

Same with buying cars. I drove 3 hours round trip for the last car I bought because the local dealers were all full of "sign here now and I'll go talk to my sales manager" asswipes, even after trying to deal strictly with the internet sales/fleet sales teams. I don't know how these places can stay in business delivering such a shithouse customer experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

It never fails that the person that actually buys the bike shows up on time and is easy to deal with. All the "is this available" "how fast is it" "what's your bottom dollar" inquires can just be ignored.

Yep, always without fail. They are us, we are them, the rest are morlocks.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The flip side is you can tell a good seller or not by how they respond to "When can I come look at it?" without all the bs. And when you get there you are likely to get a better deal if you feel like you have reason to haggle down. If not, then it's a quick sale for both parties. In and out.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah it also works both ways, if as a seller you leave out a lot of useful information I need to know, I'm going to ask for that before I waste time driving over to meet you in a parking lot somewhere. I don't understand the number of sellers who act like they're just listing their bike on a sudden impulsive whim and don't bother to put basic information about what services were done and when, how long they've had it/are they the original owner, what's the actual title status, even have to bug some of them to show a pic of the odometer.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

The flip side is you can tell a good seller or not by how they respond to "When can I come look at it?" without all the bs. And when you get there you are likely to get a better deal if you feel like you have reason to haggle down. If not, then it's a quick sale for both parties. In and out.

bringing a pie is always nice, too

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buyer did not bring a pie! :mad:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah it also works both ways, if as a seller you leave out a lot of useful information I need to know, I'm going to ask for that before I waste time driving over to meet you in a parking lot somewhere. I don't understand the number of sellers who act like they're just listing their bike on a sudden impulsive whim and don't bother to put basic information about what services were done and when, how long they've had it/are they the original owner, what's the actual title status, even have to bug some of them to show a pic of the odometer.

I've found "what's the VIN?" to be an excellent way to spot a seller who's gonna be way too much trouble.

I'm trying to buy either an ATV or a small tractor at the moment and it's way worse than bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I've found "what's the VIN?" to be an excellent way to spot a seller who's gonna be way too much trouble.

I'm trying to buy either an ATV or a small tractor at the moment and it's way worse than bikes.

Let me guess: everyone wants 1k less than dealer prices even though they've left it outside it's whole life, never done any maintenance, none of the small stuff works anymore and it's covered in literal poo poo?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Let me guess: everyone wants 1k less than dealer prices even though they've left it outside it's whole life, never done any maintenance, none of the small stuff works anymore and it's covered in literal poo poo?

That, something with good pics and a reasonable price but such belligerent refusal to answer questions like "what's the VIN" that it's gotta be stolen or otherwise dodgy, or an old bloke who puts up a single picture captioned "50's Massey, $4500, call me on <information removed>" and then won't answer fb messages.

At this point I'd settle for a fourtrax with a trailer hitch as long as it wasn't obviously repeatedly rolled over and/or stolen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love those old guy listings cause they are always the barest minimum of effort needed to show THE WIFE that you're taking steps to get rid of that old piece of poo poo. And if you do finally get there it's like pulling teeth, they're the least motivated sellers ever.

I have literally had a dude's wife call me after I looked at a bike and got my offer rebuffed. He told me he had other people offering more, I told him there was no way a hornet 900 was worth more than 3k to me. His wife told me that was all bullshit, my offer was the highest and only 'real' offer they got, I ended up taking the bike for 2800. It was a hire a hubby guy, too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

bringing a pie is always nice, too

I brought someone bagels once and they gave me like a gallon of honey from their bees. It owned. Bike was very good too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

RightClickSaveAs posted:

SUPPOSEDLY dealers have a pretty low margin on actual bike prices, especially normal bikes in the $5k-$15k USD range,
I can weigh in on this, our owner talked to a Triumph rep about becoming a dealer a few years back. We decided not to. If I'm remembering my numbers right, the profit margin on a $9000 Bonneville was about $1000. That's almost the same as what we make selling one of the fancier Genuine scooters we carry, which is just over a third of the retail cost and which basically sells itself. And that's on top of the fact that they expect you to make contact with a customer something like 30 times to make that sale. I can't even imagine how many hours of time that would work out to. Maybe not that much time if you're a coke addict? Oh, and we'd have to buy a building 3x as expensive as the one we're in and spend $150k on upgrading it to a layout Triumph requires and stock every single model they make (only 3 of which will sell reliably) and then make all the actual money on selling Triumph brand leather jackets. We're a small shop, we make most of our money from service, everyone who works at the shop including the owner is a mechanic, so none of this sounded plausible to us.

The more I learn about mainstream car/bike dealers the less I understand how any of them stay in business. It seems like a 100% broken system that only works by exploiting various tiers of employees and customers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is 100% exploitation + finance shenanigans + the ancillaries making money. Most dealers make all their profit from the workshop and parts sales, new bike/car sales are not profitable and apparel /tat as a source of profit is pretty much only possible for Harley. This is why warranty repairs are like pulling teeth: the manufacturer never allots enough labour payout to do the job so you go backwards there, the parts are at cost so you make nothing/go backwards there, and your otherwise productive mechanic is tied up away from doing profitable work. The 'solution' is to make the underpaid apprentice do the job, cause he'll learn something and we'll keep an eye on him!

Source: worked at a couple of car dealers, worked with a shitload of bike dealers. Fun fact: toyota has an enormous market presence here (something like half the cars on the road are toyota) and they lean on that like it's because the cars are so reliable etc. In reality, economies of scale mean the margins on toyotas are quite big, so the moment you walk into a dealership the salesman can come at you with a humongous discount on the sticker price that the smaller brands can't possibly match without losing money.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Slavvy posted:

It is 100% exploitation + finance shenanigans + the ancillaries making money. Most dealers make all their profit from the workshop and parts sales, new bike/car sales are not profitable and apparel /tat as a source of profit is pretty much only possible for Harley. This is why warranty repairs are like pulling teeth: the manufacturer never allots enough labour payout to do the job so you go backwards there, the parts are at cost so you make nothing/go backwards there, and your otherwise productive mechanic is tied up away from doing profitable work. The 'solution' is to make the underpaid apprentice do the job, cause he'll learn something and we'll keep an eye on him!

Source: worked at a couple of car dealers, worked with a shitload of bike dealers. Fun fact: toyota has an enormous market presence here (something like half the cars on the road are toyota) and they lean on that like it's because the cars are so reliable etc. In reality, economies of scale mean the margins on toyotas are quite big, so the moment you walk into a dealership the salesman can come at you with a humongous discount on the sticker price that the smaller brands can't possibly match without losing money.

They’re also incredibly reliable

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I can weigh in on this, our owner talked to a Triumph rep about becoming a dealer a few years back. We decided not to. If I'm remembering my numbers right, the profit margin on a $9000 Bonneville was about $1000. That's almost the same as what we make selling one of the fancier Genuine scooters we carry, which is just over a third of the retail cost and which basically sells itself. And that's on top of the fact that they expect you to make contact with a customer something like 30 times to make that sale. I can't even imagine how many hours of time that would work out to. Maybe not that much time if you're a coke addict? Oh, and we'd have to buy a building 3x as expensive as the one we're in and spend $150k on upgrading it to a layout Triumph requires and stock every single model they make (only 3 of which will sell reliably) and then make all the actual money on selling Triumph brand leather jackets. We're a small shop, we make most of our money from service, everyone who works at the shop including the owner is a mechanic, so none of this sounded plausible to us.

The more I learn about mainstream car/bike dealers the less I understand how any of them stay in business. It seems like a 100% broken system that only works by exploiting various tiers of employees and customers.

My local shop said the same thing - they used to be a Triumph dealer but then Triumph said you have to carry bikes like the Rocket, which doesn't sell and takes up space that could be used for something like the newest Ducati, which will sell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm always surprised when I see those big power sports shops in business but then again, that's the closest/easiest place for most people to say "want to look at motorcycles/quads/boats ... Oh that place". My uncle used to own the big honda shop in town and I remember him saying the profit margins were slim and that was before the internet retail thing became the norm for literally everything. Where shops used to make their money back on high profit margin items like helmets and accessories, most people buy that poo poo online now.

Half the dealers around me are cool, the others seem very pushy on sales and getting customer info where they spam you with emails.

My favorite are the non salesman who know that the show floor sales guy approach isn't going to work.

Hey man how's it going?

Good just looking around for now.

Cool my name is Craig, let me know if you have any questions. And then fucks off to leave you alone.

Meanwhile three greasy sales bros come out trying to tell you about their crazy deals, spend $10k and get $200 in accessories etc.

"Hey Craig!?"

Comes out with a half of jimmy johns sandwich in his mouth. "Hey what can I help you with?"

Do you guys have any motocross gloves? enthusiastically walks over to the gear section.

"These gloves suck, I've worn through two pair in a month and they're not worth the money, honestly mechanix gloves are the best bang for the buck".

You guys don't seem to sell those

"Yeah, just head over to the auto store nextdoor, they're like $20, we really only carry gear because we have to ask it selection isn't huge, most people just order from rocky mountain"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being craig irl is why I work for myself now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I love those old guy listings cause they are always the barest minimum of effort needed to show THE WIFE that you're taking steps to get rid of that old piece of poo poo. And if you do finally get there it's like pulling teeth, they're the least motivated sellers ever.

I have literally had a dude's wife call me after I looked at a bike and got my offer rebuffed. He told me he had other people offering more, I told him there was no way a hornet 900 was worth more than 3k to me. His wife told me that was all bullshit, my offer was the highest and only 'real' offer they got, I ended up taking the bike for 2800. It was a hire a hubby guy, too.

Around here half of them are genuine, they've just spent the last 30 years living inside their own heads where classifieds still cost 5 ha'pence per character.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Being craig irl is why I work for myself now.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I try to throw money at the local dealer when I can, but man, they make it really rough. Gear selection is bad, and stuff never has a price on it, so you have to wait for the one counter guy to figure out what they should be charging for it. Having said that, they are pretty solid to deal with, so 30 bucks here and there won't kill me, and it gets me out of the house.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This is why warranty repairs are like pulling teeth: the manufacturer never allots enough labour payout to do the job so you go backwards there, the parts are at cost so you make nothing/go backwards there, and your otherwise productive mechanic is tied up away from doing profitable work. The 'solution' is to make the underpaid apprentice do the job, cause he'll learn something and we'll keep an eye on him!

Exactly, I've had dealers cry to me that they get owned so hard on my warranty repairs, I've had them work extremely slowly and then give an improperly assembled bike (i.e. give it no priority and let the apprentice do it). I've also had them complain that they weren't the dealer the bike was bought at. I can kind of understand that knowing how warranty works but it's all an issue between the manufacturer and the dealer, don't let the customer be the victim.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

What does "hire a hubby guy" mean?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a franchise handyman service basically, idk if it still exists.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

What does "hire a hubby guy" mean?

gender flipped rental mommy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A general contractor?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

genital contractor?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Things Europeans say:

"VAT isn't regressive, unlike those awful American sales taxes. It is applied to every step in the supply chain..."
"Europe isn't racist, unlike those awful Americans. Now let me tell you about those gypsies..."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A general contractor?

That kind of idea, I think, yeah. Hire a guy to do the stuff that you'd DIY if you had the time or skill or tools or whatever it is that's preventing you from DIYing it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

This FJR1300 is looking pretty great.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FJR1300a-2008/164801979421

It's 8 miles away and I am absolutely gagging at the bit to take a look, but COVID travel restrictions mean I can't take a look right now (have to wait till the 26th of April at least).

Stupid question: how expensive is it to add cruise control to a 2008 FJR if it did not come with one?

Steakandchips posted:

I am hopefully going to go test ride the FJR on Sunday!

Test rode the FJR.

1. It was in excellent condition.

2. Engine is great, easy to ride.

3. Hated the handlebars, so they'd have had to be replaced. They were too low, relative to where your arse is, so there's too much weight on your hands when you ride it (or maybe I just need a stronger core/need to be less fat/need to ride faster so the wind balances out the forward lean).

4. Shifter needed to be moved up, was having to dig for it to shift up (this wouldn't have been a big deal to sort out).

5. Tyres needed replaced in about a thousand miles I'd say.

6. He wanted the full £4000 for it. At £2500 I'd have gone for it and changed the bars and put new tyres on it, but at £4000 it was more than I wanted to spend on something I'd wanted to pretty much not give two shits about when using it for 10,000 miles per annum commuting (not guaranteed yet, might be WFH a great deal this year anyway). I didn't bargain/counter offer, because any movement on the £1500 difference on our positions would leave one of us feeling bad about the transaction were it to go ahead.

I do want to say though that he was a nice chap, we took a ride out to Doune and back (he rode the Fat Bob which he really liked), and we might go for a ride again some time as he lives quite close by.

It was a good day, I learned more about what sort of things I like and dislike in bikes and I made a new friend. He went back to his garage to fix the turbo on his son's car, which had been raised up, apparently the turbo was spinning but nothing was happening (he added more details but I forgot the technical stuff).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You don't replace the handlebars on an FJR, they mount directly to the top triple clamp. If you absolutely must have the full sit-up-and-beg riding position you can put riser plates under them (Helibars) or a full on top triple replacement with the riser plates built in. IIRC the FJR has two positions for the bars from the factory, sounds like they might have been mounted forward.

And yes, if you're putting weight on your wrists you're doing it wrong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dude it honestly sounds like you just want a bagger.

Or a goldwing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Probably a Goldwing. I’m test riding one next week. Won’t be buying it though. £££££s.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

Probably a Goldwing. I’m test riding one next week. Won’t be buying it though. £££££s.

A cbf1000 would be within range I'd think

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/cbf1000/

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

Test rode the FJR.

I respect your Kremlin negotiation skills but £2500 for an immaculate 08 is way, way undervalued. You'd be very lucky to get it for £3500

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, aye, his price at £4000 wasn't wrong, but previously he had mentioned that his £7500 e-mountain bike was worth 3 FJRs and he had the starting bid of the FJR on his eBay listing at £2500 a few weeks back, so I was hoping he'd say "£2500" when I asked "how much you want for it?" at the end of the test ride, not "four".

I didn't negotiate with him at all, it was too wide a gap in expectations that any bargaining would have left one party or the other upset.

I hate the way it looks. I hated the way my CBF125 looked too.

Anyway, Goldwing test ride on Saturday, then ten days of riding near Skye (I have a holiday booked!).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If I got a CBF1000 I would expect an experience almost identical to the CBF125 but more. More power, more weight, more carrying capacity, more yawns. Weird looks that slowly grow on you.

Less range because the gas mileage of 125cc bikes is unbeatable.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well yeah I hate how it looks too but you want a big bike to commute on and don't have a huge budget. The FJR looks like rear end as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck: is that a hurricane motor? I have never seen or heard of this in my life, what the hell. A bike so generic it's got a mandela effect.

E: holy crap I just looked properly and they've literally just stuck a horrible fairing and dress up bullshit on a hornet 900 lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You should be able to get a decent mid 00s multistrada for around £2500, which has not sucking going for it.