Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I found FM5 fun enough to not only go through it one time untranslated, but a second time with the translation patch. Plays more like what they probably intended to do with FM4 all along with the link system and what-not.

Story I found was cool overall, but don't know if it's assisted or suffers from the fact that this was the game meant to resolve a lot of background lingering plot threads since FM2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Morpheus posted:

A whole lot of RPGs (I think all Atlus) went on sale for....the 3DS. Which is weird, but it means for me that maybe I'll end up playing Etrian Odssey Nexus, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker, and Persona Q2 after all.

Also. Culdcept Saga is like 6 bucks. Was that any good?

EO Nexus is probably the worst EO game on the 3DS, it's like 3 times as long as a normal game but entirely composed of recycled content picked mostly from the most boring dungeons of the series, where it gives up on coming up with interesting new gimmicks and such around dungeon 3 out of 14. Even the one new dungeon is literally 17 floors that all look and sound the same and have the same mechanic. I was really looking forward to it before it came out but it's the only game in the series on the 3DS that I got burned out on and never finished, while most of the others I've played all the way through at least twice. They also badly nerfed a few of the classes that were cool in the previous games (like EO5's Pugilist).
Of course it does have some cool things going for it like the obvious fanservice factor, the Hero class, the early game where it feels like they were trying, and seeing maybe 20% of what an EO3 Untold would have been, but any good elements in the game were probably spread too thin. Based on interviews and such, the EO director had wanted to do a game like this for years but it obviously lacked the budget, manpower and ideas and the end result is kind of a half baked and heavily padded game that probably shouldn't have been made.
If it is really cheap and you want to see the early parts of the game without a real intent of finishing then it's fine maybe

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thuryl posted:

Record Breaker is also good if what you are in the market for is an apocalyptic bisexual harem comedy SRPG.
... I'm listening.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I enjoyed EO Nexus.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, I can’t remember, is Last Remnant that one game that’s basically a jank-rear end SaGa game made by the SaGa guys mixed with more conventional RPG stuff? Cause I love me some jank-rear end SaGa and it’s on sale rn

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, I can’t remember, is Last Remnant that one game that’s basically a jank-rear end SaGa game made by the SaGa guys mixed with more conventional RPG stuff? Cause I love me some jank-rear end SaGa and it’s on sale rn

Yeah, Last Remnant absolutely rules too. Just uh look up some guides because the mechanics are opaque as gently caress.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno about the gameplay specifically but a bunch of SaGa people worked on it, yeah. Kawazu wrote the scenario and the director Hiroshi Takai worked on SaGa too. Fun fact Takai is directing FFXVI!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Leraika posted:

I enjoyed EO Nexus.

Me too but that's because any game with customizable portraits for optimal roleplaying purposes is good in my eyes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I disliked that EO Nexus basically surgically included almost exclusively the boring classes I hated instead of the cool classes I liked. It was almost impressive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

I disliked that EO Nexus basically surgically included almost exclusively the boring classes I hated instead of the cool classes I liked. It was almost impressive.

Its got Princess so its good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah they picked the boring esports classes but that's what people voted on

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Yes and it rules.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Cool, excited for more jank adventures!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Its got Princess so its good.

They had the opportunity to let us have a party made of Beast, Yggdroid, Princess, Dancer and Dragoon and they absolutely ruined it :colbert:

Or hell any of the fun classes like Gladiators, Rovers, Necromancers, Monks, Wildlings, Buccaneers, Troubadors...

Like I said its impressive that they managed to dodge almost all the classes I really like.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Tired Moritz posted:

Me too but that's because any game with customizable portraits for optimal roleplaying purposes is good in my eyes.

:hai:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Last Celebration posted:

Yes, but the very original version is the SUPER JANK version of the game. The PC/Remasters are pretty good and are simply "SaGa Opaque". No dual audio in the remaster, it was originally an English first, Japanese redub later game anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anakha posted:

Yeah, Kazuki is much, much more tolerable on the Emma route, and Ryogo isn't afraid to give him poo poo there.

That reminds me - I just finished P5R and I've got the FM5 translation on my RPG backlog. I should give that a try this weekend.

If this is better holy loly my memory of the Alisa route is fried because we committed a whole shitload of treason based on your adopted sister not returning your email.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last Celebration posted:

Cool, excited for more jank adventures!

Use a class guide unless you're okay with everyone ending up the same class

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Rascyc posted:

it was originally an English first, Japanese redub later game anyway.

whoa that's an interesting anecdote. is there any more info? that's gotta be rare for a jrpg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pyrus Malus posted:

whoa that's an interesting anecdote. is there any more info? that's gotta be rare for a jrpg

Very old interview, it's towards the end.

https://www.videogamer.com/previews/20081119124746-the-last-remnant-interview

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Iirc they were planning on having two selectable characters at one point, the guy we got and an older dude alá dad Nier, which I guess was what SE decided the west liked at the time.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I remember really enjoying The Last Remnant until I save-locked myself into a series of battles I couldn't figure out how to win, because I apparently I slept on Psionics? I think that's what happened? I just remember every battle being a cakewalk and then running into a massive difficulty spike. Looking at a walkthrough I'm pretty sure it happened during one part of the "Six Bases" section, which appears to be frustratingly close to the end of the game.

I'll pick up the Remaster on Switch eventually, excited to give it another go.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Use a class guide unless you're okay with everyone ending up the same class

Class barely matters so this isn't that important.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1388195714493079556

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

he's right and he should say it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I never played Parasite Eve. I should probably fix that. Ah well, gotta get through Front Mission 3 first and do the storyline I didn't do last time.

Yeah, Drakengard 1's story is great

Be sure to tell everyone what you think of 3rd birthday.

D1's story is interesting because yoko taro got a reputation of being a dealer in misery when really the only games he's done that are complete downers are drakengard 1 and sinoalice, and who tf cares about sinoalice

Zereth posted:

... I'm listening.

Jokes aside DS2 has fun gameplay, some fun characters and some nice designs but the story and atmosphere are like 5 steps down from DS1.

Also a character that had such strong gay vibes that atlus literally made a girl version of him to try and stop getting people to ship him with the MC. it didnt work (though she is cute).

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 30, 2021

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, also, my take on the FFT vanilla vs WotL translation wars is that I'm playing WotL and it's actually really cool that the Lucavi speak in iambic pentameter. It's very subtle and I didn't even notice it until I fought like the third one. I'd find it interesting to hear what kind of medieval Japanese poetry that was adapted from.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MechaX posted:

I found FM5 fun enough to not only go through it one time untranslated, but a second time with the translation patch. Plays more like what they probably intended to do with FM4 all along with the link system and what-not.

Story I found was cool overall, but don't know if it's assisted or suffers from the fact that this was the game meant to resolve a lot of background lingering plot threads since FM2.

FM5 has a story? Oh, right, I guess it has a bunch of talking before you get to the REAL game, the roguelike mode. I've tried playing through FM5 something like 4 times and every single time I get to where the roguelike mode is unlocked and just completely stall out playing it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zore posted:

The moral of every popularity poll-based thing is that fans have awful taste.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The standard format for popularity polls is pretty garbage anyways. Something which is everybody's second favorite is extremely popular by any plausible metric but would get zero votes in the standard methodology

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EON's roster was confirmed to be based off of a popularity poll done on Twitter. Which hilariously got rigged by bots. Zodiac and Nightseeker bots were basically dueling each other for the top spot. (At the time no one even knew if that poll was going to be used for anything.)

That being said, yeah the game basically got sent out to die by Atlus management for a quick cash grab. The dev team for that game was ridiculously tiny. There was literally only one programmer on that team. It's honestly a wonder the game even turned out as good as it did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can get making sure like, the top results on that poll make it in, but literally taking the results 1:1 and putting them in is ridiculous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Incidentally here were the top 15 results of that poll (they didn't release the full results.)

1. Nightseeker (EO4)
2. Zodiac (EO3)
3. Sovereign (EO3)
4. Gunner (EO2)
5. Imperial (EO4)
6. Runemaster (EO4)
7. Protector (EO1)
8. Harbinger (EO5)
9. Landsknecht (EO4)
10. Ronin (EO2)
11. Shogun (EO3)
12. Ninja (EO3)
13. Dancer (EO4)
14. Arcanist (EO4)
15. Medic (EO4)

Endorph posted:

i can get making sure like, the top results on that poll make it in, but literally taking the results 1:1 and putting them in is ridiculous.

Oh they made two adjustments. Maybe three depending on how you look at it. By which I mean they just excluded two results and put the rest in 1:1 yeah. Runemaster got taken out of the running since mage classes in EO shared nearly identical mechanics across the entire series. Dancer got taken out since both them and Sovereign are buffing classes and it placed lower, so bye to them. Even though the game still ended up with several physical attackers in the end, and stacking more mages and supports wasn't something they wanted to do for some reason despite the roster being lopsided in the amount of physical DPS classes.

Though despite the EO4 Medic being placed on there, they used the EO1/2 version instead. Probably so that the EO4 cast wouldn't make the roster lopsided in favor of one game? (The returning classes not on that list are Survivalist from EO1/2, War Magus from 2, Farmer from EO3, Highlander from EOU, and Pugilist from EO5.)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

Oh, also, my take on the FFT vanilla vs WotL translation wars is that I'm playing WotL and it's actually really cool that the Lucavi speak in iambic pentameter. It's very subtle and I didn't even notice it until I fought like the third one. I'd find it interesting to hear what kind of medieval Japanese poetry that was adapted from.

I haven't gotten to that part, but I'm playing the WotL translation for the first time right now as well, and I really dig it. I miss some of the dope one-liners from the original translation--and having to relearn the skill names is wild--but I greatly enjoy how flowery and fun even the most throwaway lines are.

As for your spoiler specifically, it might just be an invention from the localization team. The same people did FF12, and in that they had a group of celestial beings talk in Iambic Tetrameter while making their rogue member speak in Iambic Pentameter, whereas the original Japanese instead had tons of layered vocals that could only be understood through subtitles to showcase their other-worldliness

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't gotten to that part, but I'm playing the WotL translation for the first time right now as well, and I really dig it. I miss some of the dope one-liners from the original translation--and having to relearn the skill names is wild--but I greatly enjoy how flowery and fun even the most throwaway lines are.

As for your spoiler specifically, it might just be an invention from the localization team. The same people did FF12, and in that they had a group of celestial beings talk in Iambic Tetrameter while making their rogue member speak in Iambic Pentameter, whereas the original Japanese instead had tons of layered vocals that could only be understood through subtitles to showcase their other-worldliness

The worst part of the WotL localization is they didn't do the spell chants at all and just shut them off entirely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wow Front Mission 3 is a lot easier when you don't completely screw with all your mech equipment at the start and have skills.

Also Im pretty sure this says "Strat" instead of Start

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

FM5 has a story? Oh, right, I guess it has a bunch of talking before you get to the REAL game, the roguelike mode. I've tried playing through FM5 something like 4 times and every single time I get to where the roguelike mode is unlocked and just completely stall out playing it.

I don't blame you because there honestly is a lot of talking and you have to have dunked your head in the Front Mission lore to get a lot out of it (and it does the thing of having background characters drop info ranging from "completely inconsequential" to "lmao this NPC literally explained an unresolved plot thread from Front Mission 4" kind of stuff).

That rougelike mode was pretty baller though. Good music too. I got pretty far in a few times but I think exploding treasurer chests wiped me from the planet in all attempts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every single part of Front Mission IV that was directly ripping off the film 3 Kings but in Venezuela was fantastic and they could reboot the franchise and just give me that and I'd not complain an ounce.

Edit: loving hell Front Mission 3. I tried to pick the "my step-sister who was raised as my sibling does not give me a boner" route and then you make the secret of the psuedo romantic interest for that route is revealed to be the biological sister of your step-sister.

Also Ryogo comes across as a pure-strain weirdo who keeps telling a woman in the army she's too butch and undateable in between trying to ice people not fighting back and telling you how he's jealous the protagonist has a hot sister.

Second Edit: I realize, now, 15 years ago I started frantically skipping this story in the other route and remember my alternate memory of a much better and more sensible story than the absolute madness presented in this game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 1, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Want to get Octopath on Steam but I feel like my backlog is too big and the price is still Square Enix premium. Not sure how good the game is but the different character storylines seems quite interesting and I've heard the ost on youtube it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ace Transmuter posted:

I'll pick up the Remaster on Switch eventually, excited to give it another go.
It's the only Square Enix title that has never gone of sale, which is really odd considering how all their other titles do after some time.