Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
another possible fantasy GSG used to be Vampire, but I think with the (very good) CK3 mod that ship sailed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

oscarthewilde posted:

As much as I’d like to play an actually playable Vicky, I don’t think PDS in 2021 are the right people to do it. Pretty much everything that made Vicky 2 interesting - the pop system and the economy, the feeling of being part of a larger whole instead of an abstracted agent among other abstracted agents that play by the exact same rules- is diametrically opposed to modern Paradox design. If they are actually making Vicky 3, which I highly doubt, it might be a good game but it won’t be Vicky

Completely agree with this, as much as it saddens me to say.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I mean I still play V2 regularly so I'd be fine with a whole new kind of game for Victoria 3 since I can always go back, but yeah if I was really wishing what'd I'd actually want is V2 remastered or even just updates/release an expansion for the existing game with more QoL.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oscarthewilde posted:

As much as I’d like to play an actually playable Vicky, I don’t think PDS in 2021 are the right people to do it. Pretty much everything that made Vicky 2 interesting - the pop system and the economy, the feeling of being part of a larger whole instead of an abstracted agent among other abstracted agents that play by the exact same rules- is diametrically opposed to modern Paradox design. If they are actually making Vicky 3, which I highly doubt, it might be a good game but it won’t be Vicky

Have you played Imperator recently?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly a Bronze Age GSG would be Imperator with a smaller map and basically nothing that would make it relatable to the actual time period. I don't think the Paradox model would fit this time period at all.

Now, something related to Tyranny? I would preorder that thing as soon as I could.

Let me do a Scarlet Chorus world conquest Paradox,I beg of you.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i feel like anything that encourages people to identify with and grow attached to the factions in tyranny isnt in the spirit of the original

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Normally I wouldn't really care about Paradox making a Victoria 3 but I'm turning around on it on the basis of I want people to shut up about wanting Paradox to make Victoria 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

EU3 peak: 1,299 players
Victoria II peak: 2,276 players

EU4 peak: 47,844 players
Calculated Vicky III peak: 83,828 players

Not making Vicky III is simply bad business.

I feel like the "Random New World" thing might actually really work in such a game, if it got the love it needed.

I know this post isn't meant to be taken entirely seriously, but I'd like to point out that EU3 and Victoria 2 were both released prior to the Steam-required days, back when a very significant percentage of the people playing their games bought them outside of Steam. That will skew the numbers and make them out to be smaller than they truly were. (though obviously Paradox's games are more popular than ever currently)

edit: hell, eu3 wasn't on steam at all for its first two years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Victoria 4 when

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

oscarthewilde posted:

I want vicky 3 to be made so my mind can shut up about wanting to try it out, whether it turns out to be a pile of poo poo or gold. At least I'll have closure.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A Buttery Pastry posted:

EU3 peak: 1,299 players
Victoria II peak: 2,276 players

EU4 peak: 47,844 players
Calculated Vicky III peak: 83,828 players

Not making Vicky III is simply bad business.

:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vicky 3 but you load the game and it's just a hi res pic of Johan doing the goatse pose, no ring.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
No ring?! Don't you think that's going too far?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know this post isn't meant to be taken entirely seriously, but I'd like to point out that EU3 and Victoria 2 were both released prior to the Steam-required days, back when a very significant percentage of the people playing their games bought them outside of Steam. That will skew the numbers and make them out to be smaller than they truly were. (though obviously Paradox's games are more popular than ever currently)

edit: hell, eu3 wasn't on steam at all for its first two years.

ah the halcyon days of gamersgate

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vicky 3 but you load the game and it's just a hi res pic of Johan doing the goatse pose, no ring.

Where do I preorder ???

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grevlek posted:

Where do I preorder ???

Right here.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was going to be goatse, but it was worse.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
It's hard to imagine that paradox could improve on their greatest game, but I think Victoria 3 would be pretty good

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Well this is weird, I'm locked on 1.30.6 and loading any save game is crashing. Unlike yesterday, I noticed a popup for Leviathan on loading the main screen.

e: disabling mods (only two font mods) worked. weird because the game shouldn't have updated...

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 1, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I never played vicky 2 but I want vicky 3 because the 19th century is one of the most interesting periods of human history because the industrial revolution is one of the most important things to happen to humanity since the dawn of agriculture and my inner marxist wants to play around in that time frame. Plus there are ton of very interesting narratives happening in a lot of countries in this time period from the US Civil war to the Meiji Restoration and even the Taipei Rebellion. Not to mention the global chess match of the Great Powers that ultimately culminates in them slipping on a banana peel so hard they start WW1 is too good of story to not participate in in a PDX game. I don't care if it conforms to some abstract idea of "Victoria" I just want my 19th century geopolitics/global economy simulator dammit.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I never played vicky 2 but I want vicky 3 because the 19th century is one of the most interesting periods of human history because the industrial revolution is one of the most important things to happen to humanity since the dawn of agriculture and my inner marxist wants to play around in that time frame. Plus there are ton of very interesting narratives happening in a lot of countries in this time period from the US Civil war to the Meiji Restoration and even the Taipei Rebellion. Not to mention the global chess match of the Great Powers that ultimately culminates in them slipping on a banana peel so hard they start WW1 is too good of story to not participate in in a PDX game. I don't care if it conforms to some abstract idea of "Victoria" I just want my 19th century geopolitics/global economy simulator dammit.

You should play Victoria 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't play communist though, It's a miserable experience

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My bet would be on Forgotten Realms Kings (not that I want it)

I wonder how they'd actually do that given that monarchy is pretty much the exception in FR rather than the rule, Faerun's pretty much wall-to-wall republics when you actually run through it. Lots of little local lords, but mostly ruling councils at the top.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't play communist though, It's a miserable experience

it is the most power ideology if you can stand the micro tho. "why yes all of my factories will chain mwhahahahahaha"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it is the most power ideology if you can stand the micro tho. "why yes all of my factories will chain mwhahahahahaha"

Yeah the choice of ideology in Vicky 2 generally comes down to how optimal you want your factories to be vs. how much micro you have the patience for. Although the options on the free market side probably wouldn't be so bad if the capitalist AI wasn't so terrible at keeping its factories open. As mentioned earlier though, playing Vicky "optimally" does end up making the game less interesting anyway. Go full Laissez-Faire chaos mode.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
State capitalism is ideal for the first leg of the game. Really the only thing holding communism back is by the time it comes around you probably already have too much poo poo to manage (just having an "expand all factories" button on the production screen would help a lot) and there isn't a reason to play tall in Vicky. The worst option is trying to make do with interventionism, though. Early game democracies are rough because you can't just hit a button to change parties and start building / deleting / subsudizing factories when you hit good literacy levels.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reveilled posted:

I wonder how they'd actually do that given that monarchy is pretty much the exception in FR rather than the rule, Faerun's pretty much wall-to-wall republics when you actually run through it. Lots of little local lords, but mostly ruling councils at the top.
Yeah it would probably have to be EU4-esque in that you are the spirit of your nation rather than a family but its not actually going to happen so I'm not going to spend any brain power on it lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randallteal posted:

(just having an "expand all factories" button on the production screen would help a lot)

This exists, it's a shift+click or ctrl+click (I forget which but the mouseover tooltip will tell you) on any factory expansion button. One of those will do only factories which are close to their worker capacity, the other does every factory.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am not sure why you keep beating the vicky 3 drum when imperator and stellaris shows off what it would remotely be like, pop-wise

it bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Laissez Faire is pretty nice once you get into a dominant position in the game. It's not optimal, but once you control a fourth of the population you don't need to be

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am not sure why you keep beating the vicky 3 drum when imperator and stellaris shows off what it would remotely be like, pop-wise

it bad

Imperator ain't bad now but I guess it's dead now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gamerofthegame posted:

it bad

I unironically love both of those games.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

it bad

Stellaris is what happens when you just make Vic2's state communism the default option. It's fascinating but an acquired taste at least.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This exists, it's a shift+click or ctrl+click (I forget which but the mouseover tooltip will tell you) on any factory expansion button. One of those will do only factories which are close to their worker capacity, the other does every factory.

Oh my god, I knew about shift click to expand all railroads in a state, but not this. That's huge for commie China.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

really i'd take a steam achievement compatible re-release of vicky2 and a manual that has all the shortcut keys laid out

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ah the halcyon days of gamersgate

That name really became the eiptome of not ageing well huh.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I can't wait for the incredible choices after spending $300 on Vicky 3, the 4 major expansions, and the 7 add-on packs:

Colonize the Ivory Coast = 50 mana
Support Greek rebels = 50 mana
Appease communist agitators = 50 mana
Build factroy = 50 mana

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Gonna fuckin wait to push sliders like G-d intended

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I can't wait for the incredible choices after spending $300 on Vicky 3, the 4 major expansions, and the 7 add-on packs:

Colonize the Ivory Coast = 50 mana
Support Greek rebels = 50 mana
Appease communist agitators = 50 mana
Build factroy = 50 mana

extremely dystopian that actions in a game might cost a different set of points than money, which totally isn't also an arbitrary point accumulation system in most strategy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Alchenar posted:

And the disaster that is shaping up to be Vampire 2.

I haven't heard anything about it since it was announced and it seemed really cool? What's happened since then?