Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Just a heads up, but these are the two advertising hooks WWE is pushing out for RAW this Monday and expecting people to sit down and actually enjoy them:

- How does Braun Strowman factor into the WWE Wrestlemania Backlash match now that he's in it?

- With Charlotte Flair's return and alignment with WWE Official Sonya Deville, will her request for a RAW Women's Title match be granted this Monday, and what does that mean for Rhea Ripley?

And to think this is what WWE thinks will get more eyes on the product.

I mean... you're going to watch it, so they're doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Astro7x posted:

*loses three million viewers in half a decade*

"Eh, you're just gonna keep watchin'!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

When you're right, you're right.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

MJeff posted:

*loses three million viewers in half a decade*

"Eh, you're just gonna keep watchin'!"

They mean darkstar specifically.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
:triple H me and my friend Mark promo:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

They should start shipping out all the stuff from the WWE shop in trash bags

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I noticed today that even though he's a heel and does lovely things, Cole must be under orders to not use any negative adjectives about him. It's always "confident", "decisive" etc. I'd bet my last dollar they will try to turn him face long before he gets beaten by anybody for that title.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

lol remember when Nia Jax put Lana through a table every show for three months and the pay-off was Charlotte winning the tag belts with Asuka? What a dogshit company why doesn't anyone get over?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Dimebags Brain posted:

lol remember when Nia Jax put Lana through a table every show for three months and the pay-off was Charlotte winning the tag belts with Asuka? What a dogshit company why doesn't anyone get over?

No, the payoff was Nia slipping and falling through a table after Lana gave her a slight shove

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JT Smiley posted:

They mean darkstar specifically.

darkstar just has the j-ru curse and i wouldn't make fun of them for it

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

smikey posted:

No, the payoff was Nia slipping and falling through a table after Lana gave her a slight shove

the payoff was OOOOOH. MY HOLE.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Between this, Bayley's theme, and Seth's previous MNM theme I'm noticing a pattern

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It sounds like someone trying and failing to write Goldust’s theme.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

I noticed today that even though he's a heel and does lovely things, Cole must be under orders to not use any negative adjectives about him. It's always "confident", "decisive" etc. I'd bet my last dollar they will try to turn him face long before he gets beaten by anybody for that title.

Does commentary ever point out that Roman is a giant weakling who would lose every match if not for his cousin?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Cesaro isn't beating Roman, Meltzer's been told that they're pretty much saving Roman for either Brock or the Rock.

lol the Rock will never wrestle again so Roman is gonna be champ until Brock needs some money... Probably the next blood money show where he'll get like 5mil lol

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Intruder posted:

Between this, Bayley's theme, and Seth's previous MNM theme I'm noticing a pattern

Is the pattern that all the themes have been improved immensely?

I mean also the fake choir thing, but their old themes really sucked.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the lovely fiddling with the keys in roman's theme makes it immensely forgettable. it's lesser than the scales that play in like minecraft or other games where they just go up and down the keyboard very slowly. but i'm sure those big beefy blowout sounds make people nostalgic for when important wrestlers all had that in the late 90s. true dogshit. - 8.5/10

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Hirez posted:

lol the Rock will never wrestle again so Roman is gonna be champ until Brock needs some money... Probably the next blood money show where he'll get like 5mil lol

It's very on brand for the WWE to set up their heel champion for two feuds..without actually checking to see if either of the people that would be involved are actually interested in doing it or not.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Cesaro isn't beating Roman, Meltzer's been told that they're pretty much saving Roman for either Brock or the Rock. Which, as they love to do, pretty much books them into a corner if neither of those two want to do a run with the title (and they don't), since they've devalued everyone else like they always do.

This is what bothers me. If you’re saving a Roman loss to Rock or Brock, I’d hope you have that deadlocked instead of just hoping that they’ll come back for this match because that’s a lot of potential competitors Roman has to go through for this possible not possible matchup.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hirez posted:

I really wanna know what fantasy world people are living in where it's even theoretically worth the Rock's time for him to wrestle Roman.

At least with Cena, he made up for tearing his pec with a huge PPV payday. Roman's not even gonna get him that.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the only person The Rock will be wrestling, is Kamala Harris. for the presidency of the united states of america.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

I really wanna know what fantasy world people are living in where it's even theoretically worth the Rock's time for him to wrestle Roman.

At least with Cena, he made up for tearing his pec with a huge PPV payday. Roman's not even gonna get him that.

They are family and the Rock got him a small role in his F&F spin-off blockbuster. I wouldn’t say the chances are nil BUT still... it’s a helluva ask.
“Hey Cuz - come help me make money. I know you’ll probably get injured and your insurance will bitch and it benefits you NOTHING to come do a stint for a Trump allied war crimes machine full of nazis and paedos but it’ll help out my career.”
<Sigh> “this is the last time Joey and YOU owe me.”
“I promise. This is the absolute last time Cuz.”
Narrator: it was not the last time

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 2, 2021

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
thinking about how protective the rock is about his image, i bet he has ptsd from his rumble appearance

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shayna Baszler posted:

the only person The Rock will be wrestling, is Kamala Harris. for the presidency of the united states of america.

that's a mid-show squash match at best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MJeff posted:

Does commentary ever point out that Roman is a giant weakling who would lose every match if not for his cousin?

Sometimes!

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
The Rock is now 49 years old and hasn't had a match since 2016 IF we are being generous about that being a match. Otherwise, he hasn't had a match since 2013.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I'm pretty sure since he tore his pec and delayed shooting on a movie last time he "wrestled" no studio is gonna let him do that again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cauliflower jones posted:

thinking about how protective the rock is about his image, i bet he has ptsd from his rumble appearance

That's just a rumor spread by chronic liar Tyrese.

The Rock gets his rear end kicked in those movies regularly.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dr. Baker posted:

The Rock is now 49 years old and hasn't had a match since 2016 IF we are being generous about that being a match. Otherwise, he hasn't had a match since 2013.

ackshually his birthday is tomorrow he's still 48 for a little while longer

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Is Cole still a "heel" commentator? I don't mean "heel Cole", I mean is he the one that sides with the heels and against the faces?

Coz that could explain it.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Rock can engage his production company and have an amazing cinematic match with Roman, that ends with a live finish.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Brock is gonna squash Roman like he squashed Cena to insure the maximum amount of Nobody Gets Over.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is Cole still a "heel" commentator? I don't mean "heel Cole", I mean is he the one that sides with the heels and against the faces?

Coz that could explain it.

Nah he usually is a “voice of the audience” guy who basically espouses the company line

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was hilarious last night to see McAfee was actually standing up and pacing because he was genuinely excited by seeing a good match, and then a while later you saw Cole standing up too but you knew it was fake.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

michael cole wears shorts now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lethrom posted:

Is the pattern that all the themes have been improved immensely?

I mean also the fake choir thing, but their old themes really sucked.

This is a hill I am willing to die on.

The CFO$ themes were great. They are instantly recognizable, they are catchy, they are simple themes that someone can recognize if they came out in a Rumble. I could hum a few notes from them and you'd probably recognize what it is. All you need is like a chorus and a bridge for a wrestling theme to work.

These Def Rebel song are trash for the most part. There are exceptions (like Io's theme, which is a banger, and I think Lashley's finally feels right). But all of them feel like these are cued to the entrances with some REALLY long intro, and then about 5 different verses that sound like different songs, all set so that someone can do some pose at a certain point when they are in the ring to their carefully choreographed entrance

Can you identify the difference between Bayley, Seth's, and Baron Corbin's current themes from the intro? They're all lovely fake choire intros. How about if you throw Roman's theme in the mix? It's just such a long way from the Jim Johnston days where themes were recognizable within the first second.

This is a perfect example. Just what the gently caress even is Xia Li's theme. I know she has a long entrance with a lot of pageantry, but like... can you hum any part of it? Does it get you hyped for her entrance? After a lengthy intro there are 3 or 4 totally different verses that sound like different songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfm3pFzNcI

What would they play if she came out at a Rumble?

Can anyone identify Raquel Gonzalez's theme if they didn't put her name on the screen? She's the NXT Women's Champ. Can anyone identify Elias' current theme compared to his first one? I don't even think I know what Alister Black's current theme is.

They're all horrible. I know everyone can't have iconic themes like Austin, Rock, or Undertaker, but the themes have to be instantly recognizable for them to work.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Xia Li has an amazing look and she's gorgeous, so of course WWE uses a promo photo of her where she barely looks like herself

Is Kevin Dunn behind the still cameras too?

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
There's probably a good feud between Roman and Rock they could do where Rock comes back to save his family from the evil tyrant Roman and challenge him for head of the household, but Roman should absolutely win that. But who knows when that could actually come together and how long they plan on doing this head of the household stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Astro7x posted:

This is a hill I am willing to die on.

The CFO$ themes were great. They are instantly recognizable, they are catchy, they are simple themes that someone can recognize if they came out in a Rumble. I could hum a few notes from them and you'd probably recognize what it is. All you need is like a chorus and a bridge for a wrestling theme to work.

These Def Rebel song are trash for the most part. There are exceptions (like Io's theme, which is a banger, and I think Lashley's finally feels right). But all of them feel like these are cued to the entrances with some REALLY long intro, and then about 5 different verses that sound like different songs, all set so that someone can do some pose at a certain point when they are in the ring to their carefully choreographed entrance

Can you identify the difference between Bayley, Seth's, and Baron Corbin's current themes from the intro? They're all lovely fake choire intros. How about if you throw Roman's theme in the mix? It's just such a long way from the Jim Johnston days where themes were recognizable within the first second.

This is a perfect example. Just what the gently caress even is Xia Li's theme. I know she has a long entrance with a lot of pageantry, but like... can you hum any part of it? Does it get you hyped for her entrance? After a lengthy intro there are 3 or 4 totally different verses that sound like different songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfm3pFzNcI

What would they play if she came out at a Rumble?

Can anyone identify Raquel Gonzalez's theme if they didn't put her name on the screen? She's the NXT Women's Champ. Can anyone identify Elias' current theme compared to his first one? I don't even think I know what Alister Black's current theme is.

They're all horrible. I know everyone can't have iconic themes like Austin, Rock, or Undertaker, but the themes have to be instantly recognizable for them to work.

I am definitely, in no way, trying to make an qualitative statement comparing Def Rebel's entire body of work that of CFO$, or Johnston's. It is literally a case of me just not liking Bayley's and Roman's themes, and really really loving not liking Seth's old theme. 100 out of 100 times I would rather listen to their newer ones than their older ones.