Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Failing that one Empathy check with Sylvie should've had Empathy stuttering and sputtering in a daze until Endurance and/or Electro-Chemistry loudly speaks up and announce she's a spinster so you should warn Garte about the cock carousel through Endurance and/or Electro-Chemistry instead of Empathy immediately engaging incel mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Does this question not hold a mirror up to our own world quite well?
No we can fix it and climate change is restricted to our home planet. Give it time for now; we're speeding up reductions

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Grouchio posted:

No we can fix it and climate change is restricted to our home planet. Give it time for now; we're speeding up reductions

lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Time? Well not to worry. We have plenty of that!

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

christmas boots posted:

Also the Pale isn’t the end. After the Pale comes the world again

I always thought that referred to the new isolas discovered under Dolores. After the old world, you come to the pale; after the pale, you come to the new world - the world again.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

e-dt posted:

I always thought that referred to the new isolas discovered under Dolores. After the old world, you come to the pale; after the pale, you come to the new world - the world again.

I also interpreted it this way, but who knows? With how hopeful this game is, I certainly find it hard to believe it's all doomed to vanish...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

christmas boots posted:

Time? Well not to worry. We have plenty of that!
*sigh*

quote:

I know my words won't reach you goons, but i'll say 'em anyway:

Even before Covid hit, the global emissions rate of increase (between 2016-2019) slowed down 20% thanks to new policies, the collapse of the coal industry, the rise of renewables and climate lobbying - than otherwise. Think about it. Emissions slowed down. They are reaching the 2C station but they are slowing down. Despite Trump. Despite Russia. Despite China. Despite the oil and coal lobbies. And now that Covid has hit the coal industry has been dealt a blow it will never recover from. Oh there's still the gas industry? Sure. But we're slowing down. And that's the first step to mitigation. The overton window on that front is shifting, slowly but surely.

The second step is peaking emissions, grinding the emissions increase to a halt. There is good news there too. Demand for renewables is skyrocketing. Old fossil fuel factories and power plants are getting phased out or shut down at an increasing rate, across the globe on average. As the cost of renewables plummet, it's cost-efficiency eclipses coal, then eventually gas, and many, many energy corps, companies and lobbies are beginning to pay attention and follow that clean new golden goose. Greed drives them, sure, but the sort of greed that is much less destructive on our global environment than otherwise. An improvement. Back to emission peaks. China is planning to reach it's peak soon. It's rapidly building new, more efficient coal factories, sure. But their electricity output is decreasing. And while it is not yet giving way to being eclipsed by renewable output, it is planned to do so later this decade. Which means China may reach peak emissions before 2030. And then, as the world's largest emitter, begin to decrease emissions entirely.

Yes there is worsening news regarding climate change all the time. It's to be expected. Increases in emissions from earlier decades are what are being felt right now. Those mistakes we've made as a global civilization have already been set in stone. All it does is make our goals harder, not stop them in our tracks. What we have control over, as the overton window shifts, is how we handle, adapt, mitigate, and survive the coming decades as best we can. There is still time for all of this. Despite Trump's efforts the US' emissions have not skyrocketed since he took office, for example. Heck, the expected worse case scenario from carbon emissions has gone down 2 degrees, from 5 C to a far less catastrophic 3 C, thanks to our global decrease in carbon demand and emissions here and there. And slowing down the rise of carbon emissions is our top priority right now.

Despite all the pessimism, there is still, and always will be hope. And through hope and progress, we must, we shall, prevail. Thank you for your time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's a hilariously dumb quote. It manages to contradict itself in the first three sentences. Impressive!

Anyway, even ignoring climate change, the end is the same no matter what. All we can do is put it off as long possible, but its coming. So whats the point of doing anything?

You do what you can for those you can while its still possible. Doesn't matter when the end is coming, that stays the same.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing about the pale overtaking the world is that though it seems inevitable, it isn't, really. The night club can hold back the entryway in the church. The situation is that the pale will swallow everything, unless... unless what? It isn't clear, although given some of the implications in the game, it may very well be human solidarity and renewal that pushes it back. Harry's reaction to learning of the pale and it's expansion can be to proclaim that only his ideology being completely and immediately adopted can save the world. He may actually be right about this, although incidentally this makes the moralintern, the bearers of the status quo, the greatest enemies of humankind. The kingdom of conscience, as the thought tells you, is already here and it has failed to unify humanity. Not that the super-individualist ultraliberalism and the reactionary, insular fascism have any hopes there either. As the game says, communism may be impossible, but it's still worth building.

Also some maybe-info on the book, big spoilers if true: One of the things I've found out about the book by the way, although I'm not sure 100% of it's veracity, is that it takes place 20 years after DE and does end with Revachol getting nuked and the pale eating everything. But it's fairly clear that this is not an inevitable outcome: for one thing, the city tells Harry that the bomb can be stopped by him.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2021

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

NewMars posted:

The thing about the pale overtaking the world is that though it seems inevitable, it isn't, really. The night club can hold back the entryway in the church. The situation is that the pale will swallow everything, unless... unless what? It isn't clear, although given some of the implications in the game, it may very well be human solidarity and renewal that pushes it back. Harry's reaction to learning of the pale and it's expansion can be to proclaim that only his ideology being completely and immediately adopted can save the world. He may actually be right about this, although incidentally this makes the moralintern, the bearers of the status quo, the greatest enemies of humankind. The kingdom of conscience, as the thought tells you, is already here and it has failed to unify humanity. Not that the super-individualist ultraliberalism and the reactionary, insular fascism have any hopes there either. As the game says, communism may be impossible, but it's still worth building.

This is a good post but that last paragraph should be its own separate spoiler, I don't want to know details about the book!

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 2, 2021

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

pablo gbscobar posted:

This is a good post but that last paragraph should be its own separate spoiler, I don't want to know details about the book!

Edited the post, sorry.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Even before Covid hit, the global emissions rate of increase (between 2016-2019) slowed down 20%

Following this pattern, in 20 years we will be pouring more carbon into the atmosphere than we are today.

Which is around the time when we need to be having net carbon outputs of 0.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
damnit I pumped Electrochemistry on my first run but Kim's making me want to stay sober

**shivers is great!

Cheston fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 2, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God drat, Cuno in the final denouement is absolute gold, it is criminal that you need to get Kim shot in order to have him around.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Oh! What is up with the fast travel? It sucks to use because you have to run to the specific locations you are allowed to use, but then suddenly it stopped working altogether??

Why is the fast travel like this? Its draining to run across the entire map so many times.

E: okay, found out it's a common bug that happens on day 4.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 2, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember when there was no fast travel. You kids don’t know how easy you have it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If I had to pick 3 skills to dump, they'd be electrochemistry, half-light, and suggestion. You just don't get much out of them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Half-Light lets you intimidate the racist lorry driver into helping you with the case, and Suggestion has plenty of great moments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

christmas boots posted:

I remember when there was no fast travel. You kids don’t know how easy you have it
Fast travel worked exactly twice for me and then never worked again. I legitimately wondered if it only works once a day or what. It's unnecessary I suppose, but it would be nice to not have to make Kim buck rear end after me.

As for the pale stuff and so on: It seems an equally valid literary reading would be that Harry is going to die in about 28 years and that this will be the end of the world, because the world of Disco Elysium and such is only presented to us through Harry. And of course, for Harry it would be the end for certain. However I did not do more than dabble in the apocalypse cop business so there may be more material on this topic. Still, literature and all that, it doesn't need to have a decisive answer.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does the extra Kim empathy from Aces Low do?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

God drat, Cuno in the final denouement is absolute gold, it is criminal that you need to get Kim shot in order to have him around.

I've just got to this part but to do so I had to actively ignore a 78% check and choose to let Kim get shot and now I feel like a complete dirtbag :(. Still, I'm really excited to see how the endgame plays out this time round, my current Harry is much more in touch with his gym teacher side than in my first playthrough and I'm excited to see that dynamic play out more in the final stretch!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Fedule posted:

I definitely overoptimised my Hardcore Mode build. About to finish up and I've got like 300 real in pocket. Wompty Dompty Dom Center is OP as gently caress. I didn't even fine Gary.

Try HAAAÀARRRRRDCOOOOOOORRRREEE with 1/1/5/5, I'm locked out of the rhetoric check with Titus, suggestion checks with Cuno to get the dad story and the blind woman to sign everart's papers, and my logic is too low to find loopholes even with the clothing boosts so it might just be board game time to grind out some xp. I am Revachol's most loser cop.

I've also converted Egghead into an ultraliberal after mashing his tree the wrong way. Whoops!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doccykins posted:

I've also converted Egghead into an ultraliberal after mashing his tree the wrong way. Whoops!

EAT ZE POOR! HARDER CORE! YEAAAH!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grouchio posted:

What does the extra Kim empathy from Aces Low do?

I think it just gets thrown in the pile of points you can get for doing things Kim likes that determine how he acts at the end and if you can keep him from getting shot.

There is an achievement for maximum Kim friendship but it's either bugged or insanely hard to get because I got all the good Kim outcomes at the end and still didn't get it. At one point the game even said Kim REALLY trusts you in a skill check and I still didn't get the best friends cheevo.

:smith:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 2, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That achievement is judged entirely by your good/bad cop meter. Being nice to Kim or just acting professional/not a dick to other people will get you +1, along with figuring out parts of the case like finding the bullet early gives you +2 while picking crazy/rear end in a top hat options like punching Measurehead or talking down to Leo, accepting bribes etc gets you -1 points.

You need +10 to be Kim's best friend.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

wiegieman posted:

If I had to pick 3 skills to dump, they'd be electrochemistry, half-light, and suggestion. You just don't get much out of them.

Check my post history ITT to learn how wrong you are about half-light and also electrochemistry

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I completed the game! The end was really something else at points. But what the gently caress... Did we really just leave the old man -- our main suspect who confessed, behind on the island???? I can't wrap my head around this part.

Also, what does honor mean/do?

sean10mm posted:

There is an achievement for maximum Kim friendship but it's either bugged or insanely hard to get because I got all the good Kim outcomes at the end and still didn't get it. At one point the game even said Kim REALLY trusts you in a skill check and I still didn't get the best friends cheevo.

I think I got that on the first day?? Which came to me as a big surprise as we had barely met at that point.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 2, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

I completed the game! The end was really something else at points. But what the gently caress... Did we really just leave the old man -- our main suspect who confessed, behind on the island???? I can't wrap my head around this part.

Also, what did honor mean/do?

I think I got that on the first day?? Which came to me as a big surprise as we had barely met at that point.

Your boat was too small and he's a frail old man who had just gone catatonic, with a ammo-less gun you took off him. So you went to call for backup and help. Specifics might be argued in circles, but drama and cartharsis also push for a certain kind of situation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tylana posted:

Your boat was too small and he's a frail old man who had just gone catatonic, with a ammo-less gun you took off him. So you went to call for backup and help. Specifics might be argued in circles, but drama and cartharsis also push for a certain kind of situation.

Yeah, it could be summed up well as he's not going anywhere, and can't hurt anyone anymore.

I can never bring myself to get rid of The Expression just because Annette likes it. There's worse things to have your face stuck like.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it could be summed up well as he's not going anywhere, and can't hurt anyone anymore.

I can never bring myself to get rid of The Expression just because Annette likes it. There's worse things to have your face stuck like.

If you finish the fascism quest you get a new expression/portrait, and Kim says you look like had a stroke:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

UnknownMercenary posted:

That achievement is judged entirely by your good/bad cop meter. Being nice to Kim or just acting professional/not a dick to other people will get you +1, along with figuring out parts of the case like finding the bullet early gives you +2 while picking crazy/rear end in a top hat options like punching Measurehead or talking down to Leo, accepting bribes etc gets you -1 points.

You need +10 to be Kim's best friend.

That's the thing, my last run was Ultra Nice and Professional and I never pissed Kim off and figured everything out early.

:iiam:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this but it looks like you're an actual real-life moralist

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'm playing through a second time and I'm trying to do the fascist vision quest. Problem is, I feel like I'm stuck.

I'm at the point where I'm asking all the local fascists about time travel. Gary, René, Lorry Driver, Measurehead. All nacht. I've managed to get René's story out of him, succeeded all checks and even got his medal. Gary is gone, Lorry Driver is exhausted of options, and Measurehead is just telling me to get a grasp of basic reality before coming back. Does this have something to do with Joyce's dialogue options? Day 4 so if it's René I'm basically at the end of the trail.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Seems like getting stuck on the fascist vision quest is a common problem. Rather fitting, I'd say!

(I can't help, as I am unable to bring myself to roleplay as a fascist)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kalsco posted:

I'm playing through a second time and I'm trying to do the fascist vision quest. Problem is, I feel like I'm stuck.

I'm at the point where I'm asking all the local fascists about time travel. Gary, René, Lorry Driver, Measurehead. All nacht. I've managed to get René's story out of him, succeeded all checks and even got his medal. Gary is gone, Lorry Driver is exhausted of options, and Measurehead is just telling me to get a grasp of basic reality before coming back. Does this have something to do with Joyce's dialogue options? Day 4 so if it's René I'm basically at the end of the trail.

If you have an option to do a suggestion skill check with Measurehead, it reopens with +2 modifiers for each individual fascist/racist character you talk to stacking the odds in your favor over multiple attempts, making you likely you'll eventually get it. Probably.

Otherwise I got nothing, maybe try lifting some weights or keeping his race theory thought internalized :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also on a read up of Kirby lore I feel like the detective would fit into Smash Bros enough at least in that he'd definitely get along with Kirby and take the lore revelations of the series in stride.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also on a read up of Kirby lore I feel like the detective would fit into Smash Bros enough at least in that he'd definitely get along with Kirby and take the lore revelations of the series in stride.

Cuno..................PUNCH!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Grouchio posted:

lmfao

super lmfao level 2

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I honestly thought that was someone moralinternposting ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
We're restricted to our home planet, too.

The only reason billionaires dream of living among the stars is so that they can reinstate slavery and legalise pedophilia, and the only reason people are hyping up space colonisation is because those billionaires pay them to do so. Zero gravity kills us, every other planet in existence- Mars included- kills us, terraforming other planets is a nonstarter if we can't even terraform Earth, and a 20% reduction in the rate of increase is not an actual reduction, it is a slowing of the rate at which the source of the problem is growing and the problem accumulates from all sources year by year. Those same billionaires? They're not building rockets, they're building bunkers in New Zealand to survive the revolution. Some of them even activated the loving things when Covid started up. They overestimated us.