Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He seems like a good, honest person. Rural conservative maybe but fascist? I haven't really gotten that vibe from his video's. I don't follow his other social media channels so maybe he's s raging chud on those and I haven't noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He's name-dropped / highlighted products from super-chud companies on social media.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Went and looked, am disappointed.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Works! Ibe hearted it. I booked a 2014 type F (v8) for the weekend (theres quite a few type Fs available in the Bay Area). Time to hit up highway 35 and experience what horsepower > 180 and crackles are like :aaa:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Works! Ibe hearted it. I booked a 2014 type F (v8) for the weekend (theres quite a few type Fs available in the Bay Area). Time to hit up highway 35 and experience what horsepower > 180 and crackles are like :aaa:

I always did notice a ton of Fs available there. I've never driven one, so give us a trip report and enjoy.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I have no idea if this is a question better suited for here or the New Car thread, but is anyone aware of a decent list of like, 'The Best New Cars for Seniors' that actually takes into account every car having a lovely unintuitive touch screen?

My grandpa wants to buy a new car and since this is probably going to be his last he wants to splurge a bit. But I'm concerned that he might get fed up with how infotainment-heavy new cars are. He's not the most tech literate person and he struggles with even understanding Android, so I dread to think how he'd take to a crappy auto make's in-house garbage. Ideally I'd like to be able to point him to some models that still have physical controls for most things like a radio volume knob, AC, etc etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not a FCA product, they're littered with lovely screens and menus. I've had one as a collision shop rental and my fiance had one as a rental and they suck, everything is on a screen / touchy touch.

I'd say ask him for a few choices of brands / cars and maybe pop in to the shops / check online for operations of their menus. I'm not sure how involved Toyota and Honda have gotten as my experience is with older models. Honda was not touch but had a display, heater controls were not integrated into it but I think temp changes might have shown up on it and also a separate display. My sienna has no integration with the heater stuff but radio stuff is touch screen.. it's pretty intuitive though even for a not techy push button that says FM.. choose your station.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

tater_salad posted:

Yeah nice decision by dodge to make the tone ring not a hub part.

More common than you think. Even if it were part of the hub/bearing, he still would have had to get the axle out of the hub.

And when it's part of the wheel bearing, if you cheap out on wheel bearings when they need replacing, you're gonna be chasing random ABS issues for the rest of the time you own the car. Some cars even have the wheel speed sensor as part of the hub, so you're replacing the wheel bearing, hub, tone ring, and wheel speed sensor all in one go (ESPECIALLY important to not cheap out on those - generally OEM or NTK are a safe bet).

IOwnCalculus posted:

He's name-dropped / highlighted products from super-chud companies on social media.

He has, but his videos are pretty informative... so I still watch. :shrug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

STR posted:

More common than you think. Even if it were part of the hub/bearing, he still would have had to get the axle out of the hub.

And when it's part of the wheel bearing, if you cheap out on wheel bearings when they need replacing, you're gonna be chasing random ABS issues for the rest of the time you own the car. Some cars even have the wheel speed sensor as part of the hub, so you're replacing the wheel bearing, hub, tone ring, and wheel speed sensor all in one go (ESPECIALLY important to not cheap out on those - generally OEM or NTK are a safe bet).

He has, but his videos are pretty informative... so I still watch. :shrug:

yes need to pull axel nut.. not dismantle 1/2 the car to get to the rear axel. I don't work on a large varitety of vehicles so I can't say it's a common or uncommon thing, just in that particular video it seems like most shop's would total the car due to the amount of stuff that would need to be touched / replaced due to Fe2 O3 contamination

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 30, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In that case, the service manual said to drop the diff to change the axles, so he did that - and it wound up being easier than dismantling the suspension to remove the axle (something that you sometimes have to do). And you have to partly disassemble that rear suspension to pull the axle out on that car (the CV joint won't fit through); with everything so rusty, it would have snowballed into high 4 figure territory very quickly. The exhaust has to be dropped to remove the diff, but he pointed out it was already cracked, super rusty, and would probably break entirely during removal, so he went easy mode and just chopped the muffler off (then welded it back on).

Shops don't "total" cars. That's done by insurance, which wouldn't be involved in a repair. He said the owner was very attached to the car and that he really didn't want the job until she told him that, so he made it work. He's a solid mechanic, took some shortcuts that saved time and money. You can't fault him on that, he likely quoted the job low enough that he probably broke even on it (if he didn't lose money).

In the end, the rear diff wound up being a quart (out of ~1.5 qts) low on gear oil anyway, so it's a good thing he touched it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tater_salad posted:

Like he'll say "jap cars" but he also shits on Jeeps and dodges, he shits on all vehicles.

just FYI this is 100% Not Okay and saying "jap cars" is by no means equivalent to talking about other cars being bad or poor quality or something like that

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just FYI this is 100% Not Okay and saying "jap cars" is by no means equivalent to talking about other cars being bad or poor quality or something like that

I def did a double take when listening, had only heard it once but it def reduced my watching him, but knowing that he's got some fashy socialmedia presence makes me want ot go watch some other guys wrenchin videos instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

word, I wasn't sure if you were kinda defending it or not so sorry for jumpin down your throat a bit!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've unsubbed from a few car YouTubers for chuddy poo poo. :shrug:

ishikabibble posted:

I have no idea if this is a question better suited for here or the New Car thread, but is anyone aware of a decent list of like, 'The Best New Cars for Seniors' that actually takes into account every car having a lovely unintuitive touch screen?

My grandpa wants to buy a new car and since this is probably going to be his last he wants to splurge a bit. But I'm concerned that he might get fed up with how infotainment-heavy new cars are. He's not the most tech literate person and he struggles with even understanding Android, so I dread to think how he'd take to a crappy auto make's in-house garbage. Ideally I'd like to be able to point him to some models that still have physical controls for most things like a radio volume knob, AC, etc etc.

The new Mazda 3 doesn't have a touch screen -- it's controlled by a rotary knob. Maybe some of the other Mazda models too, I don't know. It has a fair amount of physical controls IIRC.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

I've unsubbed from a few car YouTubers for chuddy poo poo. :shrug:

"And that's how you avoid trouble with the police, just be respectful'

:rolleyes:

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yeah Eric O. is great but is almost definitely a fascist, one episode he was whining about his kids being taught "all this crazy nonsense in school about changing genders. I change oil not genders" and said something about homeschooling his kids because of it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Yeah Eric O. is great but is almost definitely a fascist, one episode he was whining about his kids being taught "all this crazy nonsense in school about changing genders. I change oil not genders" and said something about homeschooling his kids because of it

Hearing that from someone would make me think they're just a garden variety conservative. I'm a leftist like everyone else on this forum but I don't know that facist is the appropriate term for every perspective east of this position. If he was saying stuff about taking trans kids and putting them in special camps etc to reeducate them I think that would be different.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DildenAnders posted:

Yeah Eric O. is great

This is cancelled out by this:

quote:

but is almost definitely a fascist, one episode he was whining about his kids being taught "all this crazy nonsense in school about changing genders. I change oil not genders" and said something about homeschooling his kids because of it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Hearing that from someone would make me think they're just a garden variety conservative. I'm a leftist like everyone else on this forum but I don't know that facist is the appropriate term for every perspective east of this position. If he was saying stuff about taking trans kids and putting them in special camps etc to reeducate them I think that would be different.

It's increasingly hard to find the difference between "garden variety conservative" and "fascist" when the former still thinks 45 was doing a good job.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I mean fair enough, gently caress that guy anyways. I don't even know what 45 is I'm not American so I'm able to avoid a lot of the worst stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

america has gotten in to entirely new realms of essentially post conservatism. my in laws are fairly garden variety conservatives (small govt low taxes no handouts but def not racist, mad gay friends, kinda weird about trans people kinda thing) but recent years you either started to break with that ideology or move pretty far right. there's basically nobody left in that space.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

VelociBacon posted:

I mean fair enough, gently caress that guy anyways. I don't even know what 45 is I'm not American so I'm able to avoid a lot of the worst stuff.

I think that Trump was the 45th president.

This is why I stay away from any of the various youtube channels. I just don't want to get caught up in the "this channel is awseome! Oh wait the guy said/did (lovely thing), aw gently caress well maybe the next guy is not an rear end in a top hat".

I'm not some Woke-Beard the Pirate, I just don't want to have to deal with all that poo poo. And TBH, these days most of the automotive poo poo that I'm interested in is keeping my car running and since its a Corolla thats only 13 years old, its not even that hard.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Pull up!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ishikabibble posted:

Also the controls in my Subaru Impreza are fairly normal. Climate control is 3 knobs. Still has a volume knob. The infotainment system itself is a bit buggy, always turns itself on when restarting no matter if you turned it off, but if he doesn't ever change anything (leave it on FM) it's not too bad. Plus it has buttons below that say Radio, etc, and a tuning knob. I mostly use it with Apple Carplay or FM and don't try and do anything exciting.

I haven't tried the top trim model which has a climate control system but it's still controlled with knobs, although it shows up on an LCD above the radio, I believe.

The shift lever is like a traditional automatic too. Depending on if you get Eyesight it has a fair amount of buttons on the steering wheel too, although my main thing is just to turn off lane-keep assist, because it doesn't work very well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So if I can't get my stupid bracket off after pb blasting it for 3 days I'll just do the pads. The rotors are not in bad shape and I'd prefer not to be stuck drilling out hardware.
I'll order some kroil and blunt tip syringes and work it loose at a later date. The forecast is 2 weeks of rain and my pads are pretty low.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Anyone have experience with / opinions on those DIY windshield chip repair kits? I've got what appears to be a perfect candidate if they work worth a poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I tried turning on my AC for the first time since last year but apparently it seized in the meantime and snapped my serpentine belt the minute I fired it up.

Then it ran out of juice driving back home after 30 minutes and the whole car died. I thought an internal combustion engine was able to perpetuate itself once it's going (like a lawnmower or something) but this seems like it kept losing juice until the ABS and power steering went out and finally the spark plugs started misfiring and shut down. I had a portable jumper pack but it only bought me another half-mile of jumping the battery and dying.

Anyway, what's the cheapest way out of this if I don't actually care about the AC? Can I have a mechanic bypass or rig the AC compressor clutch to always freewheel? The only place that was open Saturday was a Valvoline who I knew stocks belts, but the guy wouldn't put it in because he was convinced that the clutch would still be seized even if I left the AC turned off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're lucky your water pump (apparently) isn't driven by the timing belt because you should have nuked your engine

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It was working fine before you turnd on the AC, so the AC clutch bearing is fine. The compressor is what's bad.

Replace the belt and don't turn on the AC. Bonus point for unplugging the compressor clutch electrical connection so your defrost doesn't accidentally kick it on.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

It was working fine before you turnd on the AC, so the AC clutch bearing is fine. The compressor is what's bad.

Replace the belt and don't turn on the AC. Bonus point for unplugging the compressor clutch electrical connection so your defrost doesn't accidentally kick it on.

Some Googling suggests I can by an AC compressor bypass pulley for my car for about 40 bucks, that seems like it might fit the bill just so I don't forget and turn it on by accident.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The alternator is belt driven, so yeah, with no belt you ran out of juice as soon as the battery ran out. You're very lucky you didn't overheat it badly - guessing the water pump is timing belt driven and cooling fan is electric?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

2003 Honda Accord (green)

Did a pretty good job of loving up my brake (break) job today.

Rounded off one of the screws holding the rear rotors on, so I'll probably have to drill the loving thing out, and for the life of me I couldn't get the piston to turn back in to the caliper. I eventually had to just put the old loving pads back on so I could at least use the car. The inner pad on that side is worn down to the point where it snapped the squealer though so I really need to sort it out soon or it's going to make the "I'm eating the rotor" noises soon.

I was using one of those "loan a tools" from O'Reilly though, it's got a t-bar handle and was kind of a pain to get any real torque on.

Has any one had any luck with these? Should I try to find a tool I can get some real torque on, or if it's to the point I can't easily move it with the tool I have it might indicate I should replace the caliper or something?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

2003 Honda Accord (green)

Did a pretty good job of loving up my brake (break) job today.

Rounded off one of the screws holding the rear rotors on, so I'll probably have to drill the loving thing out, and for the life of me I couldn't get the piston to turn back in to the caliper. I eventually had to just put the old loving pads back on so I could at least use the car. The inner pad on that side is worn down to the point where it snapped the squealer though so I really need to sort it out soon or it's going to make the "I'm eating the rotor" noises soon.

I was using one of those "loan a tools" from O'Reilly though, it's got a t-bar handle and was kind of a pain to get any real torque on.

Has any one had any luck with these? Should I try to find a tool I can get some real torque on, or if it's to the point I can't easily move it with the tool I have it might indicate I should replace the caliper or something?

Those kits for screwing the rear pistons back in usually have another piece that goes on and braces the whole tool against the other side of the caliper body. Google image or YouTube might help you find out what I mean but I'm not sure you were using it correctly based on what you mentioned.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I put the closed end of a wrench over my brake tool when turning the pistons back in on my Fords for extra leverage. 17mm last time if I remember correctly.

Popping the bleeder can make it easier to rotate the piston back in as well.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Those kits for screwing the rear pistons back in usually have another piece that goes on and braces the whole tool against the other side of the caliper body. Google image or YouTube might help you find out what I mean but I'm not sure you were using it correctly based on what you mentioned.

Yeah, did that. Did gently caress-all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Yeah, did that. Did gently caress-all.

Your car might not have pistons that need to be turned or they might turn the other way or something. I've always found it works very smoothly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What's the best OBD reader app for iPhones? unfortunately Torque isn't available for apple for whatever reason

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What's the best OBD reader app for iPhones? unfortunately Torque isn't available for apple for whatever reason

Ive used OBDFusion for years and its been pretty damned solid.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Not an immediate problem question, more of a planning train of thought.

I have a 2009 F250 with 230k miles. It suits me as a work truck perfectly. Long bed, extended cab. Bench front seat. Good clearance for my work offroading. Plenty of dents and dings. If it becomes a lost cause I'll be sad, it suits me so well.

Maintenance record is good. But mostly original. If you had to spitball a plan for long term preventative care and maintenance, replacements, could you throw some advice my way?

Known issues: slow gas fill (35 minutes) I think I can fix myself. Leak in manifold probably not, but seems ok (settles after warming up). Should I expect that to become a problem? Leak around the oil plug or filter. Very small leak from the rear diff. Steering feels a little tight. Dont know how else to describe it. Obviously I'm no mechanic or part time wrencher, so my experience level and descriptions are going to be poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

pumped up for school posted:

Not an immediate problem question, more of a planning train of thought.

I have a 2009 F250 with 230k miles. It suits me as a work truck perfectly. Long bed, extended cab. Bench front seat. Good clearance for my work offroading. Plenty of dents and dings. If it becomes a lost cause I'll be sad, it suits me so well.

Maintenance record is good. But mostly original. If you had to spitball a plan for long term preventative care and maintenance, replacements, could you throw some advice my way?

Known issues: slow gas fill (35 minutes) I think I can fix myself. Leak in manifold probably not, but seems ok (settles after warming up). Should I expect that to become a problem? Leak around the oil plug or filter. Very small leak from the rear diff. Steering feels a little tight. Dont know how else to describe it. Obviously I'm no mechanic or part time wrencher, so my experience level and descriptions are going to be poor.

6.4? dump it. Otherwise I'm assuming its a gasser. Assuming it is 4wd.
slow fill: check the air bypass tube adjacent to the filler neck. Its probably obstructed. check all the equalization vents on the top of the tank.
manifold leak: In a gasser it can cause erroneous O2 sensor readings which screws with the fuel trims. It can eventually trigger a check engine light.
oil plug leaks: probably an old reused crush washer or stripped pan. hope its the former. filter leak? filter seal itself, the adapter block its on, or something above it like a valve cover.
diff leak: depends on where. pinion seal is easy to swap. check the axle vent tube for blockage, that'll push fluid past any oil seal.
Tight steering: that's odd, fords are usually the opposite. Uniform in that it requires excessive force from lock to lock? or is it non uniform? Lube all the tie rod ends and the like. check the damper and ball joints. Steering boxes don't wear in, they wear out. (Ie tolerances increase) so its unlikely that the steering gear is mis adjusted. Check the steering shaft from the column as well. Ford PAS pumps don't typically die, though fresh fluid will probably help it.