Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it *is* 2021. Just watch out for those jerks from Pod 6.

e: Actually that Sealab episode where they all declare independence from each other and the two English blokes sell them all nukes is probably the most likely outcome of relaxed planning restrictions, freeports, and the rest of these Tory policies.

Selling weapons to both (or more if there are more than 2) sides is a drat fine British Industry and I shan't have you saying otherwise. Ahem.

Number of points in a pentagram or pentangle.
An interesting figure throughout mysticism and religion with various 'good' and 'evil' connotations which I shan't go into here.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know it's not super cool to go after public figures on their appearance, but the photos of Starmer are honestly starting to get a little disturbing.

https://twitter.com/nwdurhamlabour/status/1388851723444293632?s=21

That does not look like a well man to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually that Sealab episode where they all declare independence from each other and the two English blokes sell them all nukes is probably the most likely outcome of relaxed planning restrictions, freeports, and the rest of these Tory policies.

Ersatz John Galt building a giant underwater city which descends into chaos is also an option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Ersatz John Galt building a giant underwater city which descends into chaos is also an option.

Is a man not entitled to the sweatlessness of his brow?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

franco posted:

This is one of the most bizarre articles I've read recently (from both the interviewer and the interviewee). Apologies if the formatting is a bit messed up - my dad is a Telegraph subscriber so I bullied him into sending me it.
Thankyou for reposting this. I don't know why but just the mental image of Fox gleefully saying about how he lost all his showbusiness friends but Uncle Nigel was nice to him is just incredibly sad. The man just radiates divorced energy.

quote:

“Ah! But I don’t have any showbiz friends left,” says Fox triumphantly. “It’s supposed to be a horrible thing to say, but I think Nigel Farage is amazing. I had lunch with him. He was really supportive and kind.”
I can only assume he checked his wallet for him while he was there, what a kind man.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

franco posted:

This is one of the most bizarre articles I've read recently (from both the interviewer and the interviewee). Apologies if the formatting is a bit messed up - my dad is a Telegraph subscriber so I bullied him into sending me it.
The weird tone made a lot more sense once I realised the interviewer was Allison Pearson

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So got a bit of a weird one.

House in my neighbourbood that I pass when I walk had a lot of dog barking one day, sounded like puppies. Noticed a very red faced angry woman yelling into the garage "shyaaarrrDAAAAP" where the barking was coming from. She was a cop!

Though ok thats a bit weird. Maybe something going down. Police canine unit car turned up later when I walked back. Was like oh wow maybe they are rescuing doggies.

Hah.

Car is now there every day with police canine unit on our. Its loving cold here so The garage can't be nice. Noticed yesterday when I walked past out in the driveway was a roughly 1m by 1m cage. No dogs in it but the bottom literally caked in dog poo poo.

So I'm fairly sure there's some pretty lovely animal abuse going on here. If they're breeding police dogs that's quite... Something. They get no benefit of the doubt because ACAB.

I looked on the rscpa site where you can report potential abuse and they basically say, look, it's covid, don't ring us unless you see someone literally mutilating an animal, everything is on fire.

The gently caress should I do?

Mebh fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 2, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A tiny cage covered in poo poo is absolutely enough evidence to at least suspect abuse. Let the RSPCA know, imo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

So got a bit of a weird one.

House in my neighbourbood that I pass when I walk had a lot of dog barking one day, sounded like puppies. Noticed a very red faced angry woman yelling into the garage "shyaaarrrDAAAAP" where the barking was coming from. She was a cop!

Though ok thats a bit weird. Maybe something going down. Police canine unit car turned up later when I walked back. Was like oh wow maybe they are rescuing doggies.

Hah.

Car is now there every day with police canine unit on our. Its loving cold here so The garage can't be nice. Noticed yesterday when I walked past out in the driveway was a roughly 1m by 1m cage. No dogs in it but the bottom literally caked in dog poo poo.

So I'm fairly sure there's some pretty lovely animal abuse going on here. If they're breeding police dogs that's quite... Something. They get no benefit of the doubt because ACAB.

I looked on the rscpa site where you can report potential abuse and they basically say, look, it's covid, don't ring us unless you see someone literally mutilating an animal, everything is on fire.

The gently caress should I do?

Are you absolutely, 100% sure it's a proper cop? There's a couple of private security firms who take the cop cosplay to a level that has to be getting close to illegal and they loving *love* having "Canine Units", and while police dogs do generally go home with their handlers their vans/cars normally do not.

Either way, yes, absolutely report it but leave out any mention of police, just say you've seen the filthy cage and heard things suggesting problems - not a huge amount more you can do really.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A tiny cage covered in poo poo is absolutely enough evidence to at least suspect abuse. Let the RSPCA know, imo.

Yeah.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-you-suspect-animal-being-12057309

Has a check list of what you will be asked.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
100% report it. I've reported animal cruelty a few times, and the rspca have been amazingly efficient at following it up and actually doing something about it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Laurence Fox being interviewed by Allison Pearson makes me wish for an extremely localised meteor strike

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

franco posted:

Thank you for this, I’m glad it’s not fake!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Didn't Allison Pearson try to get a scientist at GSK fired because he tweeted about her being wrong about something?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's part of the Great UK Journalist Human Centipede of Fascism, yes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So Line of Duty probably just ended and everyone very pissed off. After multiple seasons building up a conspiracy network of corrupt police officers and a long campaign to find the "main man", it's revealed that the orders were coming from some mediocre white bloke who'd spent his life failing upwards and wasn't particularly interested in the exciting criminal aspects and mostly saw it as a side gig. The actual corruption was systemic, mundane, slow and boring - and was immediately memory holed by the powers that be who quietly closed the anti-corruption unit (who clapped themselves on the back for a job well done and went home).

Possibly the most deflating hour of TV I've seen in a while.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 2, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Didn't Allison Pearson try to get a scientist at GSK fired because he tweeted about her being wrong about something?

Yes she did. She is the absolute epitome of the kind of vicious, entitled, self-regarding and thoroughly nasty piece of poo poo that typifies much of the commentariat

quote:

This week started on a truly grotesque note. Telegraph journalist Allison Pearson threatened a scientist who, choosing words he later withdrew, accused her of "consciously stoking up hatred of and aggression towards NHS workers and others”.

In response to his panicked follow-up tweet “I apologise and have deleted tweets”, she replied: “You’re finished.” After putting out a call to her 83,000 followers to find out where this man with 800 followers worked, and sending her fans (surprisingly, they exist) after him, Pearson later tagged his employer into her tweets, claimed he was “inciting hatred against me” and assured him he’d hear from her lawyers.

The exchange was clearly deeply distressing for the man, as he repeatedly offered his apologies, to make a charity donation, and delete his Twitter account. He admitted “to be frank I’m terrified and feeling suicidal. I am thus pleading for your mercy in this” and referenced his “very dependent special needs son”. Later, Pearson tweeted his apology was accepted. To this onlooker, it was a very disturbing exchange.

Edit: I would also put good money on Pearson having written an article complaining about the left" or "woke totalitarians" or whatever stamping down on freedom of speech. Somehow this sort of terrible irony is never mentioned when she appears on question time etd

Niric fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aShCCFQzOSQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/broderly/status/1388441365214806024

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

So Line of Duty probably just ended and everyone very pissed off. After multiple seasons building up a conspiracy network of corrupt police officers and a long campaign to find the "main man", it's revealed that the orders were coming from some mediocre white bloke who'd spent his life failing upwards and wasn't particularly interested in the exciting criminal aspects and mostly saw it as a side gig. The actual corruption was systemic, mundane, slow and boring - and was immediately memory holed by the powers that be who quietly closed the anti-corruption unit (who clapped themselves on the back for a job well done and went home).

I think it being revealed that people do terrible poo poo just because they are dumb and like money was probably the only realistic thing that show has done. That said I don't think it's actually the last season.

Also glad the one lady got to live in a nice cottage with a hot girlfriend and a good dog.

Also the three main charcters are patting themselves on the back despite the fact the case was cracked primarily by the woman who does all the IT and the one who only joined them this season.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think it being revealed that people do terrible poo poo just because they are dumb and like money was probably the only realistic thing that show has done. That said I don't think it's actually the last season.

Also glad the one lady got to live in a nice cottage with a hot girlfriend and a good dog.

Oh yeah, it was brilliant in that sense but very much pulled the rug out from under me.

It's also the closest a BBC production is ever going to get to criticising Boris Johnson and his government.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 2, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Untagged spoilers
:colbert:

(I'm not actually watching the show, just being a Responsible Citizen. Or a dick, one of those)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

I don't have much investment because I stopped watching at some point in season 3 & never feeling the need to get back to it, but must admit that I'm not sure I get all the people being mad that the show had a point to make & made it. Perhaps that's not dramatically satisfying but it is a pretty accurate portrayal of corruption not just in the filth but in Britain at large. It almost all is incredibly mundane & boring. It's easy to get outraged at big in your face corruption, but the back room handshake deals & politicians all just moving from Westminster to lobbying for private corporations is all just low-level & frequent enough to be taken as banal normality. It's only if you step back & think about it a little that it starts to jump out to you. Or the companies like PWC who offer government departments free "advisors" as SPADs, but in exchange they get to write the tax laws so they know exactly what loopholes go in & so if anyone wants to exploit them they should really hire you. Most people don't really see why they should step back & think about it, most people only really want to think about politics once every 5 years apparently.

Probably the point gets lost in all the people being mad but it is actually an important one to make even if that means sacrificing a nice, neat conclusion.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

stev posted:

Oh yeah, it was brilliant in that sense but very much pulled the rug out from under me.

It's also the closest a BBC production is ever going to get to criticising Boris Johnson and his government.

yeah I've enjoyed that fact that someone managed to sneak a show that said that corruption is endemic in british society onto the bbc

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

British people want to be told that corruption is caused by some mysterious lord of crime, and get grumpy when it's revealed that corruption is allowed to happen because people don't want to rock the boat in case it makes their life difficult

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 2, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

This actually makes the show sound far more interesting than I’d presumed it to be up to this point

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've never seen it and didn't know what it was about and always imagined it as like Eastenders combined with CSI.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've never seen it and didn't know what it was about and always imagined it as like Eastenders combined with CSI.

It is absolutely this but also the writer clearly loving hates tories and the police

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Noxville posted:

This actually makes the show sound far more interesting than I’d presumed it to be up to this point
Exactly my thought lol. I tried to get into Line of Duty a few years ago but bounced off it, and I got the sense that each season was becoming more about the big moments, so for a show to get bigger and bigger in scope to (possibly) close with the idea that corruption is far more mundane than its depicted in fiction makes me want to dive back into it.

Plus Vicky McClure owns. They've actually been pretty good with their casting choices from what I can tell.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
of all the shite that's happened in this piss country this last decade, people come out and do proper protesting over some football politics bollocks

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Report the animal cruelty suspicions. The RSPCA can launch their own prosecutions so if the woman is police or police-adjacent then something still might be done about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

of all the shite that's happened in this piss country this last decade, people come out and do proper protesting over some football politics bollocks

And its to demand that one set of billionaires gets replaced with another set.
Would be funny to see the Glaziers get replaced by some dodgy as gently caress Russian oligarch though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

And its to demand that one set of billionaires gets replaced with another set.
Would be funny to see the Glaziers get replaced by some dodgy as gently caress Russian oligarch though.

Or the Saudis.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

crispix posted:

People protest all the time but the press doesn't give a poo poo, its harder to do that when you're protesting an event thats about to take place, with cameras already there to broadcast to millions of people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Julio Cruz posted:

Laurence Fox being interviewed by Allison Pearson makes me wish for an extremely localised meteor strike

i too pray for the obliteration of the United Kingdom and all who live in it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hmmm well we agree on the important bits

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

The idea everyone in the city is a metropolitan elite when a poo poo ton of the richest people literally live in the middle of loving nowhere is insane.
As someone who's only ever lived in an urban area of a city the countryside has always seemed like where all the rich people live whereas normal people live in the city.
Hell the most rich person in my family legit lives in a village of 500 people and has significantly more money than any of us in the city lol.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pearson is a real weapons-grade weapon so it's not surprise she'd try to boost Fox and paint him as a principled, if perhaps a touch quixotic, figure nobly crusading against the woke mobs.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PNGYAKUZA posted:

The idea everyone in the city is a metropolitan elite when a poo poo ton of the richest people literally live in the middle of loving nowhere is insane.
As someone who's only ever lived in an urban area of a city the countryside has always seemed like where all the rich people live whereas normal people live in the city.
Hell the most rich person in my family legit lives in a village of 500 people and has significantly more money than any of us in the city lol.

Kensington Palace is also not exactly in a rural location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

At least in Bucks around where I'm from, it's much much cheaper to get a house in one of the cities or large towns than it is to get one in one of the smaller towns or villages.

I grew up in Buckingham - population of about 10k when I was younger, now more like 15 or 20 - but had to move to Milton Keynes as it was the only place I could afford to get a house which wasn't absolutely minuscule. Same for all of the little villages around - prices absolutely shot up because wouldn't you know it, all the rich London pricks want to live in a "quaint" little village and not in Milton Keynes. Same goes for Bedford, Northampton and the areas around them as far as I can tell. Little villages where a few hundred people live are often full of big houses and rich Tory fuckers.