Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sorry, oops it is the small (5.4l) gas engine.

The steering is hard to describe. Like I am perfectly used to it and it feels fine until I get in one of our other work trucks (2010 w/the diesel). Which you can spin one-handed w/your palm. On of my coworkers was driving my truck and thought the 4hi was stuck on, but it isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Could be an alignment issue too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Quick question I want to try using one of those UV dye kits to track down an oil leak in my 2006 A4 2.0T. Ive got a pan on my garage floor to catch drops and I have some suspicions, but Id like to add the dye, wipe it all down / kill visible signs, and then drive around for a bit to see where its coming from. I suspect its only occurring after a drive when I was doing some work on the car, it was up on stands for almost 8 hours and I didnt see a single drop.

Anything to watch out for? Weird material incompatibility, etc? Does it not work?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Your car might not have pistons that need to be turned or they might turn the other way or something. I've always found it works very smoothly.

They absolutely need to, and the directions I've seen say clockwise. Maybe this one is just fuckered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2013 Ford F150 V8. Steering is binding a bit. Google searches lead me to believe it is the intermediate steering shaft. Looks like a job I can accomplish with my skill level, any reason I shouldn't do this myself?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't see why not but I've never done a Ford one. The worst one I've ever done was in shy boy from chess clubs driveway and that was only because I had to drop the steering box to fit it in between the column and box.

Make sure you center the steering and tie the wheel with the seatbelt so it ends up the right number of revolutions from each end and doesn't tear the clockspring. And check if there are master splines or anything at both ends before removal, or if it's keyed by the clamp bolt or what, it can be very annoying if you don't make note of that when taking it apart.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

slow fill: check the air bypass tube adjacent to the filler neck. Its probably obstructed. check all the equalization vents on the top of the tank.

Coming back to this (F250 slow fill at pump, auto shutoff every 2-10s).

If I disconnect the bottom line at the vapor canister purge valve, it fills fine. Am I oversimplifying by thinking just to replace that valve? Probably just wishful thinking as it is a $50 part that looks like 10 minutes. In my head it seems that any obstruction would be after that point. But I'm poo poo at understanding vacuum systems.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

WTFBEES posted:

Anyone have experience with / opinions on those DIY windshield chip repair kits? I've got what appears to be a perfect candidate if they work worth a poo poo.

I have used them many times over the past 30-years.

If you have a good candidate (I.e. a closed chip with no straight cracks) use it. There is always the possibility that fractures in the glass will run out no matter what. However, Ive only ever had one bullseye/clamshell repair fail. Two others failed because they had developed star cracks that were going to run out & I gambled that the adhesive would arrest them. One held for about six months.

Funny thing: I picked up a stone about 3-weeks ago. It created a tiny chip in the top layer, and, offset about two inches, a 2 semicircular crack in the inner sheet that is not connected to the outer in any way and thus, although stable, cannot be bonded.

I was supposed to get it replaced last Monday, before driving 600-miles on vacation. Although scheduled a week out, and told that it couldnt be repaired, Safelite took one look at it, verified it needed a new windshield, then said they didnt have one in stock. Its a bog-standard 2019 Nissan Rogue; theyre thick as roaches everywhere.

Welp, good thing, because on the trip down here (SC from NJ), I got dinged again, on the approach to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, that that fucker hit tight by my left edge riiight in my field of vision & left a 6 linear crack that is currently wending its way across the sheet. Who knows, maybe itll join the other one, which is dead-center down by the wipers.

So it goes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

pumped up for school posted:

Coming back to this (F250 slow fill at pump, auto shutoff every 2-10s).

If I disconnect the bottom line at the vapor canister purge valve, it fills fine. Am I oversimplifying by thinking just to replace that valve? Probably just wishful thinking as it is a $50 part that looks like 10 minutes. In my head it seems that any obstruction would be after that point. But I'm poo poo at understanding vacuum systems.

iirc the purge valves are normally closed devices in that they do not pass air(in this case, fuel vapor). If it is a normally open valve for evap leak detection purposes or the like (i don't have an evap diagram for it in front of me), then yes, replace that valve. I don't think that the vapor purge valve is it.
With the line removed the air has somewhere to go as you fill the tank. Its a displacement problem.

With newer filler necks there's a secondary hose alongside the primary filler for evacuating the displaced air as the tank is filled. In CA vapor recovery fueling nozzles keep that evacuated air from reaching atmo.
I've not taken one apart on a normal bed of that vintage. There could be a plastic baffle that joins the air tube and filler hoses. The problem is its vent is obstructed, either by a smashed hose or a rollover valve that failed. The tank is trying to vent itself through the primary filler tube as you fill it causing the backup triggering the nozzle.

fwiw. Ford fillnecks suck.

WTFBEES posted:

Anyone have experience with / opinions on those DIY windshield chip repair kits? I've got what appears to be a perfect candidate if they work worth a poo poo.

yep. 3M makes one that's fine. So does Rainx and Permatex.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I don't see why not but I've never done a Ford one. The worst one I've ever done was in shy boy from chess clubs driveway and that was only because I had to drop the steering box to fit it in between the column and box.

Make sure you center the steering and tie the wheel with the seatbelt so it ends up the right number of revolutions from each end and doesn't tear the clockspring. And check if there are master splines or anything at both ends before removal, or if it's keyed by the clamp bolt or what, it can be very annoying if you don't make note of that when taking it apart.

I watched a couple videos, no splines or keys, looks fairly simple. 10mm and 13mm bolts. A few places warn of cheap parts to avoid and none of the parts stores or rock auto carry the part so I just have to sort that out.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

I watched a couple videos, no splines or keys, looks fairly simple. 10mm and 13mm bolts. A few places warn of cheap parts to avoid and none of the parts stores or rock auto carry the part so I just have to sort that out.

How much does it go for at the dealer? Might just be a good idea to go with the FoMoCo one unless it's got a crazy price attached.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So I had the bed off my '98 Chevy S10 and didn't touch the grounds other than by mistake when cleaning the frame, and then sprayed some Dinitrol rust protector over the frame. Putting back all the stuff I noticed that the rear lights are dim (not the blinkers though), and I can't see if the brake lights are working at the rear tail lights. The 3rd light works perfectly though. I had to cut one wire that I was sure was installed after market (since it was routed in a stupid way), but maybe it could be messing it up as well.
Didn't have my multimeter with me and ran out of time so didn't have time to check fuses etc, but I'm thinking that the grounds need cleaning or the cut wire is somehow messing it up?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Were the lights dim before you did the work on the bed?

I only ask because while, yeah, bad grounds or a cut wire could definitely do it, you could also end up chasing the wrong thing because you just worked on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

How much does it go for at the dealer? Might just be a good idea to go with the FoMoCo one unless it's got a crazy price attached.

I haven't checked but it looks like $200 or so from places selling OEM.

So obviously I am buying the $50 Amazon part because what could possibly go wrong?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Krakkles posted:

Were the lights dim before you did the work on the bed?

I only ask because while, yeah, bad grounds or a cut wire could definitely do it, you could also end up chasing the wrong thing because you just worked on it.

Yeah everything worked. I recall the tail lights being much brighter. The bed has been off for about a month. Now at first I could hardly tell they were on while in the housing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The cut wire could be a previous owner patch job to get the lights working again and you've got a broken wire or crusty pin in a connector to find. I bet someone "temporarily" fixed their lights that way and it turned into a tempermanent repair the moment it worked.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kastein posted:

The cut wire could be a previous owner patch job to get the lights working again and you've got a broken wire or crusty pin in a connector to find. I bet someone "temporarily" fixed their lights that way and it turned into a tempermanent repair the moment it worked.

Yeah could well be that. So many after market wiring jobs on that car. It's also a bit different from the US spec I think since separate incicators are mandated here. I'll have to look at it again. Of course it's booked for inspection monday next week, so I'll have to decide if I want to risk it and hope that I can fix it and it doesn't need some new relay or switch. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be a problem with those things since everything else works?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

I haven't checked but it looks like $200 or so from places selling OEM.

So obviously I am buying the $50 Amazon part because what could possibly go wrong?

Ford OEM is $167 but won't be here for 4-5 days. In the meantime I took a Youtubers tip and WD-40'd the poo poo out of both u joints and it's steering normally again. I'll keep the can with me in the truck in case it binds again until the new shaft arrives.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Motronic posted:

I always did notice a ton of Fs available there. I've never driven one, so give us a trip report and enjoy.

Well, it was a great experience. Ill miss the sound of the v8/active exhaust, and CERTAINLY the pull when you floor it. Its a real beast that ended up giving me the impression of a sophisticated muscle car. Its all been said before but I certainly now understand firsthand the sadness which is- not being able to utilize all of the car on public roads, and hitting lose your license speeds in a few seconds.

I think Ive checked off try a beastly theatric muscle car feeler from my list, and now would like to try a super nimble + agile v6 screamer- already eyeing a newer 718 S or perhaps the 2007 911 (I dont have a long standing following of porches so I will probably not appreciate the 911 experience as much as I should, currently leaning towards 718)

Recommend turo for anyone wondering what these cars are like

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 4, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I certainly now understand firsthand the sadness which is- not being able to utilize all of the car on public roads, and hitting lose your license speeds in a few seconds.

It's fun for a bit but yeah......you get it now.

Glad you enjoyed it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I bet the Jag was awesome to drive.

Ive driven precious few fast cars save a modified 3000GT and a modified 300ZX. But a couple years ago my wife took me for my birthday to this place with a race track where you could drive exotic cars and they put you with a driving coach. I chose a Lamborghini Huracn and it was fun as hell except for the part where there were so many curves (8 style) that even when I could get up to speed I found I was scared shitless of taking a curve at 60mph. The longest straightaway I think I managed to get 125mph out of it before it was time to brake and hit a curve.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You guys are going to find this funny. Or ban me, either way.

I watched that video about testing the electronics of a mower a few pages back, and the takeaway from that specific battery was that the terminals were dirty. I went back and looked at mine and they weren't dirty at all. I've seen car batteries with a significant amount of corrosion, and there was none of that. Still, I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I scrubbed them down with baking soda and lo and behold, it started up with no issue. Three days later I came back to it, and it started up again on the first try. The whole problem was just dirty leads the whole time (even though they didn't look dirty.) That's a lesson for the ages. Thanks so, so much for everyone's help. You guys have been invaluable every time I've posted here.

Slightly more on topic, I sold my 938? Cayman last year when I finally ended up with a kid. I don't pay attention to new car models, especially ones I can do nothing but lust over, but I looked up images of the 718 S mentioned a few posts up and god drat. Only 60k new too? Gotta talk my wife out of a second kid so I can afford one of those sooner.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Why couldn't the signal wire be shorting to ground, 5v or even 12v somewhere intermittently?

Goddamnit. CEL came back and I looked at the wires today and you were right;

I don't know why my manipulation of the loom/wires didn't cause this fault but I replaced 2/3 of the wires in the loom to the MAF and everything seems fixed now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I went back and looked at mine and they weren't dirty at all. I've seen car batteries with a significant amount of corrosion, and there was none of that. Still, I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I scrubbed them down with baking soda and lo and behold, it started up with no issue. Three days later I came back to it, and it started up again on the first try. The whole problem was just dirty leads the whole time (even though they didn't look dirty.)

This is worth quoting for the thread. This is how connections work. It never hurts to clean off power and ground connections and it doesn't always have to look like it's dirty to be bad.

Most of us here maybe overlook that somewhat because to use some steel wool/light sandpaper/deoxit is just the first thing we'd be doing. But it's a thing you need to know and as a group of question answerers we may be bad at remembering to tell people some basics like that from time to time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You guys are going to find this funny. Or ban me, either way.

I watched that video about testing the electronics of a mower a few pages back, and the takeaway from that specific battery was that the terminals were dirty. I went back and looked at mine and they weren't dirty at all. I've seen car batteries with a significant amount of corrosion, and there was none of that. Still, I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I scrubbed them down with baking soda and lo and behold, it started up with no issue. Three days later I came back to it, and it started up again on the first try. The whole problem was just dirty leads the whole time (even though they didn't look dirty.) That's a lesson for the ages. Thanks so, so much for everyone's help. You guys have been invaluable every time I've posted here.

Yeah bro! I love it! I feel like I was right. That's all I'm after day to day. People confirming I'm right.

Oh yeah and your problem got solved indirectly from someone elses video.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Most of us here maybe overlook that somewhat because to use some steel wool/light sandpaper/deoxit is just the first thing we'd be doing. But it's a thing you need to know and as a group of question answerers we may be bad at remembering to tell people some basics like that from time to time.

Also I don't like doing the tech support thing of just telling everyone, turn it off and on, clean the contacts, unplug it and plug it in, make sure there's gas, is there enough oil, are the tires filled up thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Also I don't like doing the tech support thing of just telling everyone, turn it off and on, clean the contacts, unplug it and plug it in, make sure there's gas, is there enough oil, are the tires filled up thing.

True. And a lot of people get really mad that we can't divine the level of technical competence they think they have when we start with that kind of thing.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

True. And a lot of people get really mad that we can't divine the level of technical competence they think they have when we start with that kind of thing.

almost 20 years ago I had a job as tech support for a piece of scientific equipment that ran on DC. Most used 12V batteries.

We sold a kit to a guy, I met him when he came out to our office to pick up his toy. Maybe 40, couple of college degrees.

A week later he called from the field, said "I've got the power cable and it has a red lead and a black one. My battery has a plus and a minus. What the gently caress?"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened to the dude who never changed his battery cables on his project car with wierd electrical problems?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not me, right? I changed them, I swear!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

tactlessbastard posted:

Whatever happened to the dude who never changed his battery cables on his project car with wierd electrical problems?

Pajama man? Talking about the driving nirvana of ripping a shitpile 300ZX through curves at 80mph? He got laughed out of here and ran off somewhere else. Haven't seen him in AI since that whole thing went down.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You have to love a good AI saga, like the pussy shrapnel guy.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
You can't bring up pussy shrapnel and not elaborate. Don't leave me hanging.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

My thoguhts exactly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3270178&pagenumber=171&perpage=40#post408129953

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Pajama man? Talking about the driving nirvana of ripping a shitpile 300ZX through curves at 80mph? He got laughed out of here and ran off somewhere else. Haven't seen him in AI since that whole thing went down.

Yeah, I haven't heard from that guy in years, ever since I towed his Z to the shop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thanks for the link, I'm stealing this for PYF.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao. i was reading that and he kept talking about his IS-F and how he bought his "flashy" "high-dollar" car to get "respect" on the freeway and poo poo and how much it costs to get the paint detailed and i was like, well, yeah i guess that is what it would cost for a car like that, and people would take notice of the car,. that's lamborghini or ferrari territory after all.

then i realized that i was thinking of the LF-A. the IS-F is a fuckin camry with a body kit lol

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

lmao. i was reading that and he kept talking about his IS-F and how he bought his "flashy" "high-dollar" car to get "respect" on the freeway and poo poo and how much it costs to get the paint detailed and i was like, well, yeah i guess that is what it would cost for a car like that, and people would take notice of the car,. that's lamborghini or ferrari territory after all.

then i realized that i was thinking of the LF-A. the IS-F is a fuckin camry with a body kit lol

IS is a RWD car based on the Toyota Altezza, but still not a sports car. ES is the one based on the Avalon (and in the older days, Camry). The 2UR-GSE in that era IS-F was a 5.0L that made over 400hp, so I'd think it'd still be pretty fun in terms of power. Dunno about dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You have to love a good AI saga, like the pussy shrapnel guy.

Does motorcycle saga count? This was back before they gave bikes their own subforum. I don't remember much about it, and others will remember better, but there was that guy that bought an SV650 basically as an attempt to develop a personality. He talked about how he met this biker chick, and gave a semi-detailed recounting of how he lost his virginity to this trashy woman who I think may have left poo poo stains on the bed? It was a ride.