Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

StashAugustine posted:

Hey that video's a great resource, thanks. Do you think it'd be better to add the glue on top of the primer, put a new batch on top of the current one, or try to clear the whole base off?

If you use a good sticky primer then I'd think you could get away with adding more to the base and build up a new layer. Then seal it all up afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the 40K thread. I don’t normally do WIP posts as I like to show off the finished product, but I’m having such a blast painting this model I feel like I must post updates.

How my day started.

How it’s going.

I’m calling it for today though, I’ll start on his hair tomorrow morning. Lucky it’s a long bank holiday weekend.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do I just boil it into a concentrate?

Wet water is a term that Bruce Hirst coined years ago. It's water with a surfactant added, usually a drop of dish soap or dishwasher booster (ex. Jet Dry), which makes the water flow into crevices better because of the lack of surface tension.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
ghost attempt #2

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nebalebadingdong posted:

ghost attempt #2

Well I'm in love, well done!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
That’s looking fantastic

Nebalebadingdong posted:

ghost attempt #2

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cyberpunk ghosts are in fact very much my cup of tea.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
I finally finished my Chaos Renegades team: The Fate Sealers
(Favored of Tzeench, naturally..)

Full album here https://imgur.com/a/g5fhOu0

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Crosspost ! Just finished up the Indomitus Captain today. I was really aiming to be as detailed and careful as I could and I'm pretty happy with it. Worked in some shading and highlights where I would skip it before. Attempted a new technique on the eyes but wasn't happy with it and did my usual.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mmm yeah that's probably better than i can do.

I'll be excited to post mine in a week or so, but it probably wont look as good as yours

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just post it. Don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to yourself.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GreenBuckanneer posted:

mmm yeah that's probably better than i can do.

I'll be excited to post mine in a week or so, but it probably wont look as good as yours

There's like 3 posters in this thread that make us all look like finger painting muck-goblins so don't worry you're in good company.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
related article that I thought was good as I've been hitting a bit of a wall trying to finish up my first unit of Lumineth: https://www.goonhammer.com/just-paint/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

More progress on this thing, the base definitely gives it a sense of scale!

Going to work on banners and some base debris tonight, if time allows.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Fingat posted:

Crosspost ! Just finished up the Indomitus Captain today. I was really aiming to be as detailed and careful as I could and I'm pretty happy with it. Worked in some shading and highlights where I would skip it before. Attempted a new technique on the eyes but wasn't happy with it and did my usual.

That’s insanely gorgeous. How did you do all the precision / detail work?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like to see other people's pictures to get ideas from. See how they did shadows and highlights, what colors did they use for a specific theme, how they based things. Etc. Then I try it out myself on things in an effort to improve. Maybe its not a new fancy art skill, maybe it's something that will make things more efficient. But don't measure yourself to others, try to learn from them to do new things instead of being salty you can't do those things.

I hope other people see my stuff and go 'well this guy's a moron but I like that effect on that one part, I'm gonna try that' and the cycle continues.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got the airspeeder done, gonna throw in my fleet troopers while I'm at it. The glue/water mix plus primer did a good job of holding down the soda on the base, thanks for that tip. The only problem was that applying it to the soda/glue mix made it flake off all over the place, which I'm not sure was a good look for snow but I think I want to see if I can duplicate the "mistake" for some lava flow rocks

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Calling it a day for now I think.

This is by far and away the most enjoyable time I’ve had painting.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I really like the black areas of the wings, I don't feel like I tend to see them done that way.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Are the wings black with a dry brushed blue on them, or did you paint the blue on normally?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

and how guilty is your Magnus of having done something wrong?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not sure if right thread but I'm already here so: I'm thinking of getting some air dry clay to make some paw imprints of my old cat while he's still here. Should I just prime, paint and varnish just like a mini?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Eej posted:

Not sure if right thread but I'm already here so: I'm thinking of getting some air dry clay to make some paw imprints of my old cat while he's still here. Should I just prime, paint and varnish just like a mini?

I don't think cats like being primed, painted OR varnished, really.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Strange-ish question: I bought one of those battery-powered airbrushes last week after I discovered their existence in the thread and I'm buying the various supplies for it (cleaner, airbrush thinner, the Badger Wyldstallyns primer three-pack) but I want to also get a bottle of airbrush paint to start playing with; what's a good paint for babby's first airbrushing? I've been looking at Vallejo and a few others but I really just want to find one that's user-friendly, I honestly don't care about the color, just one that needs a shake and a little thinner to be able to make a mess of some paper.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Eej posted:

Air dry clay can be quite porous when it's dry so maybe seal it with something like modpodge or slightly thinned PVA glue.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hot drat the new Lord Kroak is super good. Actually all the new AoS hero models are super bananas.
Clicky for cool poo poo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

rantmo posted:

Strange-ish question: I bought one of those battery-powered airbrushes last week after I discovered their existence in the thread and I'm buying the various supplies for it (cleaner, airbrush thinner, the Badger Wyldstallyns primer three-pack) but I want to also get a bottle of airbrush paint to start playing with; what's a good paint for babby's first airbrushing? I've been looking at Vallejo and a few others but I really just want to find one that's user-friendly, I honestly don't care about the color, just one that needs a shake and a little thinner to be able to make a mess of some paper.

water+food coloring. This isn't a joke, water almost always goes through an airbrush without issue, and if you're just painting some paper it's all the pigment you'll need.

(real answer Vallejo Model Air. I frequently spray it neat with no problems)

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 3, 2021

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Hot drat the new Lord Kroak is super good. Actually all the new AoS hero models are super bananas.
Clicky for cool poo poo.

Sorry, but this looks like a dude getting his rear end eaten

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

yeah those Bat Centaurs are not good

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ok yeah the pose is... not great, but most of the other stuff is good.
I like Kroak a lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eej posted:

They make kits for getting baby feet and hand imprints, it's generally a softer substance than air dry clay and you might have better results.

Also take more pictures than you think you'll want while you can.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TotalHell posted:

Are the wings black with a dry brushed blue on them, or did you paint the blue on normally?

It’s drybrushed over a Chaos Black base coat.

AndyElusive posted:

and how guilty is your Magnus of having done something wrong?

My Magnus is totally innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s drybrushed over a Chaos Black base coat.

That’s some excellent drybrush work, kudos.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

DreadUnknown posted:

Clicky for cool poo poo.

That new Radakur :stare: It makes cursed city Radakur look even worse, which I had thought was impossible.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

That’s insanely gorgeous. How did you do all the precision / detail work?

Wow thanks much. For the scrolls and seals I just use a #0 W&N Series 7 Brush and Mechanicus Grey mixed with medium. Its mostly just thin lines. I looked online to see what other painters did with the bigger scrolls and added some random design ideas, eagles, and the Imperial Fist logo since its a successor chapter.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This is sexy, it looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to see the rest.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

DreadUnknown posted:

Clicky for cool poo poo.

every vampire they've shown lately looks like they made it specifically so id hate it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Added a few more Robits to my ever-expanding collection:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the 40K thread. I don’t normally do WIP posts as I like to show off the finished product, but I’m having such a blast painting this model I feel like I must post updates.

I hope you keep posting updates, I love it!

Is there anything more satisfying to paint than nicely textured feathers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm pegasus knight

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 4, 2021