Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

NATO GOOD RUSSIA BAD

--

So I am now curious what will happen when we are done in Afghanistan i mean we will need a new perpetual war to keep us on our feet during these hard austerity times

we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner with that, the only guys we've been saber rattling against lately have been Russia, Iran, and China, and boy can we not handle a hot conflict with any of those guys so I guess we'll just shift to cold war era 'training and supporting' and 'police action' poo poo for a bit until russia has an economic collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

sexpig by night posted:

we've painted ourselves into a bit of a corner with that, the only guys we've been saber rattling against lately have been Russia, Iran, and China, and boy can we not handle a hot conflict with any of those guys so I guess we'll just shift to cold war era 'training and supporting' and 'police action' poo poo for a bit until russia has an economic collapse.

Ah gently caress that. America can fire up A war front at any time with anyone. With regards to Russia many people still think Russia is full of communists because they are too stupid to realize that poo poo is long gone. The reason I say this is because we could get these dumbfucks to go to war with anyone in the world for some bullshit reason and most of the country would go for it regardless of resistance solely due to our lust for are troops

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we may get froggy with Russia if we need a new 'CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO OUR WAY OF LIFE' I think, it won't end well but at least most of the current western european political landscape seems to have sided with the Ukrainian neo-nazis in that scrape which is...cool....

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Isn’t oligarchy final stage capitalism? Like aren’t Russians basically more capitalist than we are at this point?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TK-42-1 posted:

Isn’t oligarchy final stage capitalism? Like aren’t Russians basically more capitalist than we are at this point?

no, they're bad guys, so they're communists actually

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sexpig by night posted:

we may get froggy with Russia if we need a new 'CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO OUR WAY OF LIFE' I think, it won't end well but at least most of the current western european political landscape seems to have sided with the Ukrainian neo-nazis in that scrape which is...cool....

go gently caress yourself, buddy

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

The jewish russian-speaking Ukrainian president is a neo-nazi? hosed up if true

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I hear those Albanians keep to themselves. Shifty. Untrustable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

The jewish russian-speaking Ukrainian president is a neo-nazi? hosed up if true

no but we keep giving weapons to literal open neo-nazi groups that support him so I'd call that a red flag imo

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

no but we keep giving weapons to literal open neo-nazi groups that support him so I'd call that a red flag imo

Do you have a source for this that is not a russian intelligence op posing as a news outlet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

Do you have a source for this that is not a russian intelligence op posing as a news outlet

The National Militia is literally an Azov Battalion battalion splinter group who have been empowered by the government at every turn, including openly given weaponry and training from 'aid' from the US and poo poo. These are literally just open facts.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

The National Militia is literally an Azov Battalion battalion splinter group who have been empowered by the government at every turn, including openly given weaponry and training from 'aid' from the US and poo poo. These are literally just open facts.

So is all the western political landscape laserfocused on supporting this splinter group or are the ukrainians giving it weapons in secret from idiot westerners

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

So is all the western political landscape laserfocused on supporting this splinter group or are the ukrainians giving it weapons in secret from idiot westerners

it's...not really that complex or even shady, we give Ukraine guns and poo poo, and their government tends to let it wind up in the hands of groups like National Militia, who are entirely legal in operation under Ukrainian law. There's no grand conspiracy, they're, like, deputized or whatever Ukrainian is for that, we keep dumping guns and money on the country and they distribute it to the neo-nazis they have no ethical issue aligning with to saber rattle against Russia. That's...not something I, a Jew who's family comes from eastern Europe, think tends to end well even if the literal government itself isn't run by active neo-nazis.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

it's...not really that complex or even shady, we give Ukraine guns and poo poo, and their government tends to let it wind up in the hands of groups like National Militia, who are entirely legal in operation under Ukrainian law. There's no grand conspiracy, they're, like, deputized or whatever Ukrainian is for that, we keep dumping guns and money on the country and they distribute it to the neo-nazis they have no ethical issue aligning with to saber rattle against Russia. That's...not something I, a Jew who's family comes from eastern Europe, think tends to end well even if the literal government itself isn't run by active neo-nazis.

So there's a small splinter group that gets some guns and poo poo? hosed up. Still tho sounds like being against Russia is actively being against neonazis:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/albertonardelli/matteo-salvini-russia-gianluca-savoini

quote:

The court papers also mention the pro-Kremlin cultural organization Savoini presides over, Lombardy-Russia, stating that one of its members participated in a gathering of nationalist political parties in St. Petersburg in March 2015, along with Gnerre and another individual under investigation as part of the same case.

Present at the meeting, which the court documents claim was organized by Russia’s nationalist Rodina party with the support of the Kremlin, were military commanders from separatist paramilitary units in eastern Ukraine, and what Italian prosecutors describe as “numerous European neo-Nazi, anti-Semitic, and homophobic militants.”

A criminal investigation involving Gnerre, originally started in the Italian region of Liguria five years ago, eventually led prosecutors in Genoa to gather evidence on the movement, activities, relationships, and motivations of more than a dozen people.

Members of that group now stand accused of a mix of charges, ranging from recruiting, training, and funding foreign mercenaries in Eastern Ukraine, to fighting alongside pro-Russia and nationalist extremists in the region.

Last month, a court issued arrest warrants for six people accused of training mercenaries and being unauthorized fighters in Eastern Ukraine, and it is investigating four others, including Gnerre, for recruiting and supporting mercenaries in the region.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

So there's a small splinter group that gets some guns and poo poo? hosed up. Still tho sounds like being against Russia is actively being against neonazis:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/albertonardelli/matteo-salvini-russia-gianluca-savoini

this is just super not the thread to argue about this in depth so I guess I'll just leave it at 'I guess if your plan is to arm neo-nazis to fight other neo-nazis that's your prerogative but I just think we could just not get involved in a fight between two countries we're not connected to at all and that way we don't have to worry about arming nazis at all'

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Somaen posted:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Even if there are nazis on both sides people like to root for the home team. Also, annexing and occupying parts of your neighbor sets a bad example for the rest of the continent

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Flavahbeast posted:

Even if there are nazis on both sides people like to root for the home team. Also, annexing and occupying parts of your neighbor sets a bad example for the rest of the continent

what home team is there for the US

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

You were bemoaning the fact that "most of the current western european political landscape" was siding with Ukraine, well why wouldn't they? Ukraine is the aggrieved party, the "home team" where the fighting between the countries is happening

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I can't wait for the US to get out of Afghanistan too

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 3, 2021

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

this is just super not the thread to argue about this in depth so I guess I'll just leave it at 'I guess if your plan is to arm neo-nazis to fight other neo-nazis that's your prerogative but I just think we could just not get involved in a fight between two countries we're not connected to at all and that way we don't have to worry about arming nazis at all'

I just wanted to get more out of you so it becomes very clear that you are really ignorant of the situation and extremely stupid overall, you can't really talk about this in-depth here or anywhere else, especially with people from eastern europe with personal knowledge of the situation since you seem to be regurgitating propaganda you've read that you lack the skills to examine critically. Ukraine is a floundering democracy with a jewish president where the far right consistently gets <2% of the electoral vote, that is being invaded and sabotaged by a hostile, far-right proto-fascist state which had to invent stories about atrocities by the Ukrainian far-right in its propaganda campaigns to justify the invasion and annexation of the territory. If there is any morally justifiable support for a state, this is it, the US is objectively doing good here by supporting Ukraine militarily and by supporting building democratic institutions.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Somaen posted:

the US is objectively doing good here

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Getting some strong Venezuela thread energy from these last few posts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
"Ottoman-era Armenian genocide"
Didn't the Republic of Turkey carry on the genocide right through the '20s?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Somaen posted:

I just wanted to get more out of you so it becomes very clear that you are really ignorant of the situation and extremely stupid overall, you can't really talk about this in-depth here or anywhere else, especially with people from eastern europe with personal knowledge of the situation since you seem to be regurgitating propaganda you've read that you lack the skills to examine critically. Ukraine is a floundering democracy with a jewish president where the far right consistently gets <2% of the electoral vote, that is being invaded and sabotaged by a hostile, far-right proto-fascist state which had to invent stories about atrocities by the Ukrainian far-right in its propaganda campaigns to justify the invasion and annexation of the territory. If there is any morally justifiable support for a state, this is it, the US is objectively doing good here by supporting Ukraine militarily and by supporting building democratic institutions.

*dismantles anti-nazi monument*

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Weka posted:

"Ottoman-era Armenian genocide"
Didn't the Republic of Turkey carry on the genocide right through the '20s?

Long answer: Kevorkian makes that argument but that's all still fresh enough scholarship that "official consensus" hasn't really solidified. Also depends on how you define "Republic of Turkey" given it was just a stitched together tapestry of warlords in the early 20's, despite Kemalists trying to pretend otherwise. And if you consider stuff like the later Syrian transfers to be part of the same event as the capital "G" Genocide.

Short answer: Yes but there's ton of reasons even Armenians will try to rhetorically divorce it from Kemalism.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

*dismantles anti-nazi monument*

drat... Thoughts and praeyrs to statues of Lenin and Stalin everywhere

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There has to be a better place than the Middle East thread to slapfight about Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sinteres posted:

There has to be a better place than the Middle East thread to slapfight about Ukraine.

Crimea was part of the Ottoman empire until 18th century, therefore Ukraine is part of the Middle East :colbert:

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
I mean it’s not really a slap fight. He’s 100% right, the guy’s a complete idiot and he needed to hear that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Crimea was part of the Ottoman empire until 18th century, therefore Ukraine is part of the Middle East :colbert:

Crimea was never part of the Ottoman Empire. The Crimean Khanate sort of hovered between Ottoman ally and protectorate, but was never formally part of or administrated by the Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans held some ports and coastal forts, but they didn't rule Crimea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somaen posted:

But on the other hand have you considered that the Ukrainian subhuman must be purged from the surface of the Earth by the Russian hero-soldier? No I don't care that all the poo poo about neo-Nazis is thousand times more accurate in regards to Russia and Russian militants in Ukraine, shut up, shut up

(Thank you for being one poster with non-reprehensible opinions who isn't also proud of being completely ignorant and being able to talk down to people actually living through these things, as befits American arrogance)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crosswell posted:

I mean it’s not really a slap fight. He’s 100% right, the guy’s a complete idiot and he needed to hear that.

Every argument on these forums, and the overwhelming majority of all Internet arguments, are just slap fights. Also shut up about Ukraine, there might be no central Asia thread so Fergana Valley might as well go here because why not, but there is a Europe thread.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gen. Mark Milley described the Afghan military and police as “reasonably well equipped, reasonably well trained, reasonably well led.” He cited Afghan troops’ years of experience against a resilient insurgency, but he declined to say they are fully ready to stand up to the Taliban without direct international backing during a potential Taliban offensive.

Lol

So let's translate: if the afghan military doesn't fight they are great.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Somaen posted:

lol loving dusted

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gen. Mark Milley described the Afghan military and police as “reasonably well equipped, reasonably well trained, reasonably well led.” He cited Afghan troops’ years of experience against a resilient insurgency, but he declined to say they are fully ready to stand up to the Taliban without direct international backing during a potential Taliban offensive.

Lol

So let's translate: if the afghan military doesn't fight they are great.

Its been 20 years, if they aren't ready now they will never ever be ready

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just remember sexpig posted videos of alleged Ukrainian war crimes that ended up being Russians gunning people down .

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I love it when (relatively) candid speech gets leaked.

quote:

In a leaked audiotape that offers a glimpse into the behind-the-scenes power struggles of Iranian leaders, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the Revolutionary Guards Corps call the shots, overruling many government decisions and ignoring advice.

quote:

Mr. Zarif said Russia did not want the agreement to succeed and “put all its weight” behind creating obstacles because it was not in Moscow’s interests for Iran to normalize relations with the West. To that end, Mr. Zarif said, General Suleimani traveled to Russia to “demolish our achievement,” meaning the nuclear deal.

Mr. Zarif took issue with General Suleimani on other fronts, criticizing him for allowing Russian warplanes to fly over Iran to bomb Syria and for moving military equipment and personnel to Syria on the state-owned Iran Air airline without the knowledge of the government and deploying Iranian ground forces to Syria.

quote:

Former Secretary of State John Kerry informed him that Israel had attacked Iranian interests in Syria at least 200 times, to his astonishment, Mr. Zarif said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/middleeast/iran-suleimani-zarif.html

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so that's where the line about kerry selling out our allies came from

was the iranian foreign minister really astonished that israel has been taking aggressive actions against iranian interests in syria, cause if so he's going to flip his lid when he finds out that israel is conducting open assassinations of iranian officials in iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What I've come to realize over the last 7 years of following this conflict is that the Afghan war is going to end with a right-wing death squad running around killing people as the only semblance of a fighting force post-taliban victory, that's our lasting impact. We've already seen this right wing militia running around and murdering entire schools of her children just because they are religious and this is the only way they can stop the next generation of Taliban fighters from existing.

So at the end of the day we have literally created a force that will be motivated by the drug trade that has successfully become America's Taliban.