Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Queen boat update

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1386652150793703427?s=19

Turns out the reason it keeps getting brought up and never leads to anything is because The Queen doesn't even want the thing and thinks it'll look bad her getting a free yacht at a time when everyone else has to do without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think there are diminishing returns on enormous luxury yachts once you get past 90

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Imagine being so bougie that even The Queen thinks you're a spoiled little poo poo.

Actually, don't imagine that; I wouldn't want you getting any ideas :guillotine:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Andrew wants the yacht so he can do unspeakable things in international waters.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Call me gullible or w/e, but I'm actually prepared to give Fox the benefit of the doubt wrt the milk thing, since it is an Extremely Online nazi thing but a moderately current anti-lockdown/pro-death thing.

Whether Charles Walker knew it was a nazi thing is another matter, the dude's a Tory MP after all & it's a bizarre enough symbol that I guess he might have done it with a nudge & a wink.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Turns out the reason it keeps getting brought up and never leads to anything is because The Queen doesn't even want the thing and thinks it'll look bad her getting a free yacht at a time when everyone else has to do without.
tfw you're more of a monarchist than the actual reigning monarch

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Queen doesn't even want the thing and thinks it'll look bad her getting a free yacht at a time when everyone else has to do without.

When are we due to return to the times where everyone gets one?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sinky posted:

I googled to find out who Allison Pearson is and the first result is

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1388777056838762496?s=20

:ok:
God they really can't think more than one logical step ahead can they? Apparently 'kids aren't affected by it > kids won't die' is the extent of her reasoning. The extended reasoning of 'kids can still transmit it to adults > adults might die' is completely beyond them.

It's like all the cunts saying masks 'don't do anything.' No, masks stop other people getting it if you have it. Yes they don't protect the person wearing it, but it still lowers the risk of one case wandering round the supermarket from turning into hundreds.

I swear this all goes back loving Thatcher and her cult of individualism poo poo. They can't imagine doing anything for other people rather than themselves.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lawrence Fox should be studied like an ISIS recruitment video. The right wing radicalisation effect of divorce on the male middle aged mind is too powerful to be ignored.
He's fast tracking the 'don't call me racist > you're all horrible for calling me racist > if you're all going to call me racist, guess I'll be racist now' pipeline.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wilfy needs a nanny

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nanny-flat-loan-b1840805.html

because he's been a very naughty boy

imagine paying for boris's personal trainer :laugh:

boris has definitely employed the trump strategy of just doing as much bad poo poo as he can so it overwhelms the media and public's capacity to keep up with and thus give a poo poo about any of it

crispix fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 3, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I swear this all goes back loving Thatcher and her cult of individualism poo poo. They can't imagine doing anything for other people rather than themselves.
It's that and absolutism.

Masks aren't 100% effective so might as well not bother, social distancing isn't 100% effective so might as well not bother.

Never mind that cumulatively all you're really trying to do in a pandemic is stop the healthcare system from collapsing during the peaks, because if that happens then a tidal wave of poo poo gets unleashed where people end up dead of minor accidents/injuries, and that cumulatively adding things that reduce transmission by 20% here and 30% there and so on is the best shot we have at stopping that happening.

That's too joined up though, and I guess in turn ties back into individualism again because it requires acknowledging that the reason you're extremely unlikely to die from a razor cut in the 21st century UK is in part because of living in a society, and having a system of healthcare with a capacity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1389192822440579076

This is Lowtax's state representative, what the gently caress are they putting in the water down there?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Several puppies, apparently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/LeftistSnail/status/1389199919286784006

Fred Clark posted:

And if you're trying to remember the name of the architect of the Southern Baptist conservative resurgence who didn't later get revealed to be a spiritual and/or sexual abuser, that's easy: There wasn't one.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That astronaut meme but with "wait, it's all child abusers??"

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Call me gullible or w/e, but I'm actually prepared to give Fox the benefit of the doubt wrt the milk thing, since it is an Extremely Online nazi thing but a moderately current anti-lockdown/pro-death thing.

Whether Charles Walker knew it was a nazi thing is another matter, the dude's a Tory MP after all & it's a bizarre enough symbol that I guess he might have done it with a nudge & a wink.

Maybe this was what Fox was aiming for, but I think he lost the benefit of the doubt when lots of people pointed out the nazi connection and he didn’t say “no I meant the anti lockdown milk thing, I told you I’m not racist”.

It’s having his cake and eating it - having his milk and drinking it?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What is spiritual abuse?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is spiritual abuse?

Sounds like a 80-second Slayer track that didn't quite make Reign In Blood

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is spiritual abuse?

I’m guessing like a cult leader but without the sexual element.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is spiritual abuse?
Usually stuff like constantly invoking threats of hellfire etc. against kids to get your way to the point where it messes them up in later life. Psychological/emotional abuse with a religious twist.

It ties in with the other forms of abuse in cases in that often that's how they managed to get everyone to stay quiet for so long.

To the shock of nobody, the types of people that will use lurid claims about everyone else eating babies and only the conservative Republicans don't eat babies love doing that poo poo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I'd literally never even heard of this show until a few days ago when people started going on about the finale and it turns out it's been going for something like six seasons :confused:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is spiritual abuse?

Stamping on your feel good crystals

TACD posted:

I'd literally never even heard of this show until a few days ago when people started going on about the finale and it turns out it's been going for something like six seasons :confused:

Weird. There's way more seasons of Simpsons than that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Usually stuff like constantly invoking threats of hellfire etc. against kids to get your way to the point where it messes them up in later life. Psychological/emotional abuse with a religious twist.

It ties in with the other forms of abuse in cases in that often that's how they managed to get everyone to stay quiet for so long.

To the shock of nobody, the types of people that will use lurid claims about everyone else eating babies and only the conservative Republicans don't eat babies love doing that poo poo.

I mean, Jesus explicitly says in the gospels that anyone who doesn’t worship him as a living god on Earth would suffer infinite torture. So this seems like a kind of wide net.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he was only saying that to get his wife to do the dishes that would meet the standard of controlling and manipulative behaviour in a relationship.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1389192822440579076

This is Lowtax's state representative, what the gently caress are they putting in the water down there?

I'm really hoping this was an intentional Barefoot joke and that I haven't just ruined it...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sinky posted:

Several puppies, apparently.

Lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Local election pros: Our labour candidate is a transgender lesbian who is campaigning on affordable public transport and housing, so is unlikely to be a terf.

Local election negatives: She is a 'comitted christian' and boy does she let people know about it all over her social media.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If he was only saying that to get his wife to do the dishes that would meet the standard of controlling and manipulative behaviour in a relationship.

Well, I doubt Jesus did his own dishes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Well, I doubt Jesus did his own dishes.

It's not the Loaves and the Dishes now, is it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also my response to game of thrones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's not the Loaves and the Dishes now, is it?
They came wrapped in newspaper back then, before health and safety banned it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I propose that no one watches or enjoys any media in case they don't like how it ends.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

sinky posted:

I googled to find out who Allison Pearson is and the first result is

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1388777056838762496?s=20

:ok:

I don't understand the Telegraph at all, the whole paper is just completely full of the dumbest loving wankers imaginable

When did US-style Trumpism become a thing here in the UK ffs. Did some rich cunts, such as whoever owns Telegraph, just decide that they want to copy that poo poo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jaete posted:

I don't understand the Telegraph at all, the whole paper is just completely full of the dumbest loving wankers imaginable

When did US-style Trumpism become a thing here in the UK ffs. Did some rich cunts, such as whoever owns Telegraph, just decide that they want to copy that poo poo

The Telegraph has always been stuffy old racists who are hilariously behind the times. The kind of people who think £30,000 is a starting salary and say racial slurs so old and obscure nobody is really sure who they're referring to.

It's just that with the Internet all their dumbest takes just sit in the present like a fatberg of stupidity in the sewer of public discourse and makes you wretch when it's all dumped on you at once.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Yeah, me too. I had vaguely heard of it in passing but until the last week had no idea so many people were glued to it.
Probably because I very Very rarely watch BBC.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Telegraph has always been stuffy old racists who are hilariously behind the times. The kind of people who think £30,000 is a starting salary and say racial slurs so old and obscure nobody is really sure who they're referring to.

It's just that with the Internet all their dumbest takes just sit in the present like a fatberg of stupidity in the sewer of public discourse and makes you wretch when it's all dumped on you at once.

The Telegraph has always been both conservative and Conservative but its definitely taken a weird turn in recent years. My Dad has always 'taken' the Telegraph and when I flip through it when visiting and compare it to how it was when I read it in the early 2000s it's significantly more unhinged. It used to be a paper for merchant bankers, country landowners, doctors and retired Colonels living in the Cotswolds and managed to generally be accurate in its reporting, rational in its editorials and occasionally brilliantly investigative. Now it reads like a Boomer's facebook wall - just barely-coherent screeds stringing together all the hot right-wing buzzwords.

I would guess that it's partly to do with the paper's huge decline in readership (it lost readers at a way higher rate than even the indsutry average before it withdrew itself from the circulation reports) and the general lunacy embracing the modern Conservative party. I get the impression that Brexit really broke the Torygraph's last link with normalcy when it was faced with the choice between its professional/business/financial/civil service/London-based readership who generally didn't want Brexit and its lead-brained retired rural-suburban Boomer readership who were willing to burn down the world to get Brexit and it went hard in with the latter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Does anyone still have the animated GIF of the UK within the EU structures and exiting over a waterfall?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

It's that and absolutism.

Masks aren't 100% effective so might as well not bother, social distancing isn't 100% effective so might as well not bother.

I'm pretty bad when it comes to Manichean views of things, but this is a bridge too far even for me.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you can live without having any recommendations just install this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unhook-remove-youtube-rec/khncfooichmfjbepaaaebmommgaepoid/related?hl=en

Along with the "never show comments" add-ons as well, it turns youtube into a perfect experience.

This is the best thing ever. A major step towards stripping the web back to basics. Thanks!

However, I have been lazily relying on an un-logged-in Youtube front page to show me when the few channels I am interested in post something new. Anyone know of a clever way to "subscribe to"/follow certain channels without actually logging in? Thinking third party?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

This is the best thing ever. A major step towards stripping the web back to basics. Thanks!

However, I have been lazily relying on an un-logged-in Youtube front page to show me when the few channels I am interested in post something new. Anyone know of a clever way to "subscribe to"/follow certain channels without actually logging in? Thinking third party?

Just log in with a burner account? Who gives a gently caress if they log that johnsmith69420@gmail.com occasionally searches for ASMR videos of people reading Atlas Shrugged?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bobstar posted:

You could use an RSS notification, I use IFTTT on my phone to tell me when there's a new LP on SA so I'm sure you can get something to work with Youtube.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/103017/single-rss-feed-for-all-youtube-subscriptions <- this might help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

The Telegraph has always been both conservative and Conservative but its definitely taken a weird turn in recent years. My Dad has always 'taken' the Telegraph and when I flip through it when visiting and compare it to how it was when I read it in the early 2000s it's significantly more unhinged. It used to be a paper for merchant bankers, country landowners, doctors and retired Colonels living in the Cotswolds and managed to generally be accurate in its reporting, rational in its editorials and occasionally brilliantly investigative. Now it reads like a Boomer's facebook wall - just barely-coherent screeds stringing together all the hot right-wing buzzwords.

I would guess that it's partly to do with the paper's huge decline in readership (it lost readers at a way higher rate than even the indsutry average before it withdrew itself from the circulation reports) and the general lunacy embracing the modern Conservative party. I get the impression that Brexit really broke the Torygraph's last link with normalcy when it was faced with the choice between its professional/business/financial/civil service/London-based readership who generally didn't want Brexit and its lead-brained retired rural-suburban Boomer readership who were willing to burn down the world to get Brexit and it went hard in with the latter.

I think it's also partly due to them trying to imitate the Daily Mail's online setup, which is (unfortunately) probably the most influential British news site globally (can't remember the exact stats). For most of the mid-2010s Private Eye got a lot of schadenfreude out of the Telegraph getting rid of its most experienced journalists and editors in favour of useless digital content experts and the like. You then get a vicious cycle where the people who actually liked the journalism stop reading, so number goes down, the people in charge panic and cut more of the print operation because clickbait is cheaper etc