Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh dhh is danish everything makes so much more sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the basecamp internal forums contained gamer moments from 2003 and it had to be destroyed

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
oh my god DHH could not even be bothered to GET OUT OF BED to try to save his company from imploding.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

buttchugging adderall posted:

oh my god DHH could not even be bothered to GET OUT OF BED to try to save his company from imploding.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

look i know this is the worst thing that's happened to my company in 20 years but my tummy hurts

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the ISP I started my career at had one of those tickets with funny customer names in it. they told the helpdesk guys who ran it to to stop, then when they kept doing it they fired them. culture!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

again, the names are funny. No one is disputing that. But keeping a list is haraam. If they are funny enough, you will remember them.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my homie dhall posted:

publicly posting the "pyramid of hate" in response to a list containing seymour butz is actually dumb as poo poo. and yeah, if the person posting the pyramid ever contributed a name it's doubly stupid

maybe, maybe not, but as a manager and a self-professed galaxy brain you should be able to handle something like this without flying off the handle and loving up your company and reputation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

maybe, maybe not, but as a manager and a self-professed galaxy brain you should be able to handle something like this without flying off the handle and loving up your company and reputation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

our culture is full of people who make it solely because they never had to face an actual challenge in their life, one problem with people like that is they’re super fragile and melt down the instant anything actually goes wrong

it’s also why they love inventing hero stories for themselves, like if you asked donald trump, who failsoned his way all the way to the White House, he’d probably talk about having to hustle in the 80s with only the 90 million his dad gave him

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the ISP I started my career at had one of those tickets with funny customer names in it. they told the helpdesk guys who ran it to to stop, then when they kept doing it they fired them. culture!

back in the dialup days we were trawling through ancient tickets (and this was like 02, so '97 tickets)

found one from their first support person who at the time was the manager

capitalization preserved

Subj: STUPID WOMAN

Body: fixed it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the old boy network is the real affirmative action

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't discuss politics or religion in polite company. and i don't want to hear poo poo about politics from my coworkers either. because what i've heard so far, i do not like

that said, the basecamp execs are idiots and they handled this in exactly the wrong way and it's funny to watch their company implode

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i mean the whole idea that racism and white supremacy are even political issues is hosed anyway. isn't that why there is like, protected classes, so that basic principles of equality are beyond question

anyway my middle management have handled stuff broadly like this much much better and I would argue that they just did a mature adult thing rather than any miraculous management razzle dazzle

reading that latest article by casey newton there's a real sense that a lot of employees were sick of the three senior guys' poo poo anyway so given a) a ridiculous set of reactions from them and b) 6 months salary they very happily jumped ship

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh also i recently learned that a couple of my coworkers who i respect the most are really into bitcoin, and i'm just refusing to even probe, no no no keep that poo poo away from me, i LIKE these guys and i want to keep liking them you know

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yeah, this is definitely continuing the tradition of getting people with bad opinions to broadcast them

the pinboard guy is pretty proud of being on team dhh and it's just incredibly disappointing but then again it must gently caress up your perspective to not work for anyone else

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Gentle Autist posted:

i mean the whole idea that racism and white supremacy are even political issues is hosed anyway. isn't that why there is like, protected classes, so that basic principles of equality are beyond question

crt is one of the right wing boodiemen du jour but they don't actually understand it well enough to argue against it so they end up just claiming that systemic racism and white supremacy don't exist and if you think they do then you're the racist one

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

crt is one of the right wing boodiemen du jour

it's my understanding they're still good for like old video games to make them not look so pixely. but i've been using lcd monitors and TVs for a long time now. crts take up too much space, even if they're good at old games.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I do find it interesting that the republican party has gone so far off the rails, where poo poo like brietbart is something you can read and still be a "mainstream republican" that we're close to if not at the point where being in one of the two major political parties in America basically makes it impossible to lead at any company that actually prioritizes diversity and inclusion.

Like imagine it was just a bit worse in America and we had one party that was pro-apartheid or something, how could a member of that party lead a diverse team fairly, by definition. Wouldn't you have to start discriminating based on political affiliation in that case? This guy's up there saying that "whenever I say anything political people call me a Nazi"; why do you think that is my guy?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

psiox posted:

yeah, this is definitely continuing the tradition of getting people with bad opinions to broadcast them

the pinboard guy is pretty proud of being on team dhh and it's just incredibly disappointing but then again it must gently caress up your perspective to not work for anyone else

it’s also funny cause pinboard continually shits on Google employees for their lack of any substantial collective action over Googles bad politics

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

the pinboard guy is pretty proud of being on team dhh and it's just incredibly disappointing

I'm not seein it but i am seeing this and agree 100%

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1387622478873169925

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

I normally grumble about mandatory trainings but the implicit bias training and general DEI work my company's done in the past 18 months have been helpful and have made me a better and more considerate employee

before that i used the term 'sold down the river' in a 1:1 and my manager eagerly NOPEd me

so yall can make fun of me for asking "can i say 'hotep' or is there a different term i should use or" but it's coming from an honest and good place

I didn't mind MS's DEI trainings, but to me they confirmed that I shouldn't assume good faith in MS actions, which I don't think was their goal :v:

Seriously though, if you have about 3 hours worth of these, and the only motivation you provide is "it makes company more money", never "it is a common decency thing to do, don't be rear end in a top hat", it doesn't build trust towards the company and its culture.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

rotor posted:

I'm not seein it but i am seeing this and agree 100%

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1387622478873169925

Wouldn't this be a breach of customer privacy?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chestnut santabag posted:

Wouldn't this be a breach of customer privacy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHvYdi6Bu4

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bloody posted:

megalol at dhh calling in from bed then muting and turning the camera off for the rest of the meeting

looks like he's going off the rails

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zlodo posted:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

its this. hes a dumb poo poo who keeps harping on and is incapable of taking the L

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

:mmmhmm:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
rails is home o’ crazy

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Jonny 290 posted:

<DHH> "not everything is racist guys just please stop"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ewiley posted:

<DHH> "not everything is racist guys just please stop"

these are the Dutch

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

common mistake

danes cover their racism better

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

well not really

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Hahahha

what the gently caress

quote:

In the April discussion about the list of customer names, Singer posted to say that attempting to link the list to genocide was “absurd.” On the Friday call, he went further.

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

He continued: “Very often, if you express a dissenting view, you get called a Nazi. … I have not felt this is open territory for discussion. If we were to try to get into it as a group discussion it would be very painful and divisive.”

Singer concluded his remarks. Fried responded, “Thank you, Ryan.”

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Lol that someone called it week ago.

https://twitter.com/ronmexicoisreal/status/1386832733528338434

https://twitter.com/ronmexicoisreal/status/1389378252758818816

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

what’s that supposed to mean? like yeah implicit bias is, at least partly, underlying actual racism of the society you are in. why does he say that and also reject living in a racist culture?

or is he saying the concept of implicit bias is “actually racist” against whites?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

what’s that supposed to mean? like yeah implicit bias is, at least partly, underlying actual racism of the society you are in. why does he say that and also reject living in a racist culture?

or is he saying the concept of implicit bias is “actually racist” against whites?

i'm not sure but he absolutely thinks that it's racist against whites imo based on that read

not too surprising given his inability to read the room and make trump supporting comments in the official company discussion areas lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
reverse racism

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

First I will explain "politics" at my employees. Then when they try to suggest that I am wrong, I will simply tell them "hush, no politics at work." Then I will call them all together for a Zoom meeting that will be headlined by a senior manager/our resident nazi telling all of my other employees that they are the real racists here. I will sleep through this meeting. I have written many renowned books on management and I see no problem with this.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hammerite posted:

we're cutting all your benefits. but we'll give you the cash value of those benefits this year for free! what's that? next year? oh... i'm needed in the basement *mimes walking into basement behind big manager's chair*

This one is actually good. Like at my job they have some thing where they'll reimburse your gym membership, but it's through the health plan and so there are only certain chains that take it. This solution (giving the cash equivalent and go to whatever gym u want) is good.