Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lawrence Fox should be studied like an ISIS recruitment video. The right wing radicalisation effect of divorce on the male middle aged mind is too powerful to be ignored.

There was some lovely article recently about him which said that he voted for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour in 2017. What the gently caress has happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Jesus loving Christ

If that poll is remotely accurate, then Labour's basically finished as an electoral force, Christ.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

kingturnip posted:

More to the point, how old is the woman Bill has presumably been having an affair with?

Is he going down the Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson route of finding someone young enough to fall for his bullshit, or the Neil Young route of finding someone who was at least able to write their own name when he was relevant?

Also, lol at the hospitality sector losing their High Court battle against the Government over when they can open.
Imagine being led by the sort of bloodthirsty cunts who're more concerned that people will realise that home-cooked food is both cheaper and better than the slop they serve at their high-priced gastropubs, than the thousands of people who might die if lockdown ends prematurely?

Actually, don't imagine that. I wouldn't want you to get ideas :guillotine:

I think the age of Bill’s ladies and an upcoming trial might be a factor

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

There was some lovely article recently about him which said that he voted for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour in 2017. What the gently caress has happened there

The "She turned the weans against us" principle dictates that he made racist jokes and eventually one of his weans said it was racist, causing a spiral of anger and rejection that caused him to make racism his entire persona until he made a shite folk album about his divorce and it all got worse from there.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm really not sure I can be bothered to go out and vote at the moment.

I've not quit the party yet, mostly because I naively hope I'll get a chance to chuck a leadership vote Zarah Sultana's way. If Khan was potentially going to lose I'd vote tactically, but I don't want to just give my vote away to the party whose leadership has been telling me to gently caress off for a year and courting bigots.
Never pass up the opportunity to draw a big willy that gets officially counted imo

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Hey Guavanaut, can you remove me from the CLP list in the OP? I'm no longer in Glasgow

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno how the deal went down and its probably naïve to assume anything other than the worst but Oxford set about making a vaccine that anyone could produce and ended up being convinced at least in part by Bill Gates that they needed to partner with 'someone' to get their vaccine to market. Oxford apparently aren't receiving anything financially for now and the astra zeneca vaccine is cheaper than the others and is allegedly being made at cost 'during the pandemic' but theres no oversight on that so who knows.

Its a bit lol that Oxford were in part convinced they needed to do this and that they would be lauded internationally for their expertise. and actually, whilst still evidently a capitalist bullshit drug, its the closest thing to a decent attempt at humanitarianism and their only reward is to have the world say its a deadly blood clot drug and total poo poo lol.

Astrazeneca aren't getting anything either, they are producing it for 0 profit. Not enough people understand this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

He lied seems like the simplest explanation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Didn't the former BNP leader say he voted Labour to discredit Labour because he knew how disliked he was? Some years ago, not sure if corbyn or not

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Didn't the former BNP leader say he voted Labour to discredit Labour because he knew how disliked he was? Some years ago, not sure if corbyn or not

Nick Griffin (and, for that matter, David Duke of the KKK), yes.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Maybe he got wind of the anti seminitism smears early but just liked what he heard? Or maybe he's just very, very stupid.

I think you're right that lying is probably the most plausible, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a chunk of the Labour 2017 vote that was a very vague protest/anti-liberal establishment vote for all sorts of poo poo reasons (see also, Brexit), so shifts easily to racist/"it's Political Correctness gone mad" bullshit

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

spotted in Walthamstow. That can't be good to find daubed on your washer repair shop.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Making viral vectors is for real not easy, even just a couple of years ago we had huge variability in yield from manufacturers, sometimes you just got zero instead of the planned 50 patients worth. I don't work in CMC and don't understand how you can end up with that bad a production process.

The Brazilian health authority also refused approval for the Russian vaccine partly due to concerns the virus might not be replication incompetent. That's likely to be a vector design issue rather than process issue, but again shows how producing the viral vector vaccines isn't straightforward.

There is also a rationale that big pharma is best placed to run registrational studies, but that's obviously not convincing in the AZ example.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Great. Death to the Labour Party

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

spotted in Walthamstow. That can't be good to find daubed on your washer repair shop.

For all you know that could just be the name of the business.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

Unless it's a Banksy in which case you're minted now

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Good lord, is there any company Ian Austin *won't* take money from?

e: Wait, is that just around the corner from the Town Hall?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 4, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Good lord, is there any company Ian Austin *won't* take money from?

e: Wait, is that just around the corner from the Town Hall?

It's on Boundary Road just off Hoe St.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

More like:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 4, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tesseraction posted:

Bill Gates threatened to withdraw millions in donations to Oxford if they didn't sell their vaccine (which they were originally going to open-source) to AstraZeneca exclusively instead, which is part of why the Oxford vaccine's rollout has been a shitshow.

If you're wondering why, Gates has financial ties to AZ.

Finland also had ideas for an open source vaccine in early 2020, the government told them to go find private funding.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

It's on Boundary Road just off Hoe St.

Oh okay, whew - it looks exactly like the lockup my dad's mate used to own on Kenilworth Avenue, but a quick check on Google shows it's now (inevitably) a Tesco.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

TACD posted:

Never pass up the opportunity to draw a big willy that gets officially counted imo

:hmmyes:

Niric posted:

Hey Guavanaut, can you remove me from the CLP list in the OP? I'm no longer in Glasgow

Also can you switch me to Enfield.

I'll update again when if I cancel my membership.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've always thought Joel Golby is a very good columnist, now I'm reading his book and it really speaks to me

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Making viral vectors is for real not easy, even just a couple of years ago we had huge variability in yield from manufacturers, sometimes you just got zero instead of the planned 50 patients worth. I don't work in CMC and don't understand how you can end up with that bad a production process.

The Brazilian health authority also refused approval for the Russian vaccine partly due to concerns the virus might not be replication incompetent. That's likely to be a vector design issue rather than process issue, but again shows how producing the viral vector vaccines isn't straightforward.

There is also a rationale that big pharma is best placed to run registrational studies, but that's obviously not convincing in the AZ example.

In a world where big pharma runs all of the large-scale biologic and pharmaceutical manufacturing, you do need to partner with big pharma to produce vaccine at a scale quickly. And by the same profit maximization metric they use to squeeze money out of the US healthcare system, they are going to ramp up dose production as fast as possible to avoid leaving money on the table.

Doesn't mean IP rights aren't bullshit, but this isn't evil Bill Gates shutting off vaccine production from the Third world via IP law - it's decades of neocolonialism making it such much of the Third world doesn't have the expertise or production facilities to make vaccines reguardless of the IP status and partnership deals.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol good luck being a one party state England, shame that one party are fash adjacent rather than milquetoast soc dems.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is anyone able to advise on a decent bike for me to buy via my works cycle to work scheme? I don't want anything fancy at all, just something I can go to the shops on, with maybe the occasional longer distance country ride. Comfy and reliable is what I'm after.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's just that the UKMT hive mind knows everything.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If your budget is limited then just go for the lightest you can get for the cash you have, would advise something steel framed though as it will last forever if you look after it. For City commuting singlespeed is fine and cheapest to maintain (less to go wrong / easier to clean).

Factor in buying a new saddle because any cheap bike is going to come with absolutely shite one (same with tyres, you can save longterm by shelling out for some schwalbe marathons which are pretty much impervious to punctures).

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Is anyone able to advise on a decent bike for me to buy via my works cycle to work scheme? I don't want anything fancy at all, just something I can go to the shops on, with maybe the occasional longer distance country ride. Comfy and reliable is what I'm after.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's just that the UKMT hive mind knows everything.

I got one of these from my work's cycle scheme:

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/apollo-belmont-mens-hybrid-bike---18in-21in-frames-566619.html

I'm sure serious cyclists would be aghast at getting a mass-produced bike from Halfords, but it was their second-cheapest road-biased hybrid bike and it was great. My actual commute was only about 10 minutes cycling each way but it was easy and comfy, I had panniers on it for going to the shops and I did some longer jaunts around town or out into the country on it.

Disclaimer: I'd been getting about on a tiny-wheeled folding-frame bike with no suspension before that, so almost anything would be more comfortable and convenient by comparison.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

How much are you willing to spend (as in real cost to you - I'm willing to have XX less money in my bank account), and what tax rate are you on?

keep punching joe posted:

If your budget is limited then just go for the lightest you can get for the cash you have, would advise something steel framed though as it will last forever if you look after it. For City commuting singlespeed is fine and cheapest to maintain (less to go wrong / easier to clean).

Factor in buying a new saddle because any cheap bike is going to come with absolutely shite one (same with tyres, you can save longterm by shelling out for some schwalbe marathons which are pretty much impervious to punctures).

This is very good advice, although I have a bad personal experience with Marathons - in that they're amazing, but when you get a tiny, tiny, tiny slither of glass in them that you really can't find and you think it's absolutely gone, they can cost you a whack in replacement tubes over a couple of weeks.

They're great though.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I bought literally the cheapest Raleigh hybrid on the market a decade ago & it's still going strong. Got it to replace a (stolen) Claud Butler costing over triple, & honestly I prefer the Raleigh, basically the same bike to ride but doesn't seem to need anywhere near as much maintenance (maintenance issues probably compounded by doing literally thousands of miles on the Claud as I didn't drive back then, but fixing stuff on the Raleigh just seems easier).

e: I had a steel frame before I got the Claud & was very happy switching to alloy, because I was young & lived in the countryside & being able to go "hmm I can shave a few miles off my journey by carrying the bike over 2 fences & a wheat field" made my life a lot easier, but yeah I guess that's a pretty niche advantage

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

See also: green energy. So many people dismiss it because renewables were only providing x% of the UK's total energy requirements. Well yes, at the moment, but the percentages creep up annually despite our energy useage increasing, and it all makes a difference.

Solar powered masks for everyone.
It's impressive compared even to the last time I checked:

Just need to get rid of that 25% gas burning and 7% 'carbon neutral' (by logging old growth forests) biomass.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/cycleyarm/status/1389456815281381376

OK which one of you is this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is anyone able to advise on a decent bike for me to buy

Ducati Scrambl-

via my works cycle to work scheme?

Oh, right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

"hmm I can shave a few miles off my journey by carrying the bike over 2 fences & a wheat field"

Strong avatar/redtext/post combo

Crap-Clap for Are Heroes

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clipping out the risque avatar in this reply, but lmao what planet are some people on? What is any of this?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
vote albalaba

wur no communists

and ah nivur groped they weemin

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like just getting a cheapish hybrid from halfords would be the best and easiest option, and possibly pay a bit extra for a luxury fluffy saddle...

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Guavanaut posted:

Clipping out the risque avatar in this reply, but lmao what planet are some people on? What is any of this?

Assumed it was an account that reviewed those Catz games before reading the bio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1389499030821036032?s=19

But who is Des?