Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

"Things change a lot around here"
"You'd better get used to it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Eva Marie is older than Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Bayley and Charlotte.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

she's older than me as well. and qt marshall

kevin owens and sami zayn are only a few months older than keith lee

and it's the craziest thing 'cause ever since i talked to them, my hand's been cramping up like this. tully blanchard! jj dillon! arn anderson! barry windham! the four horsemen!

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 4, 2021

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

DeepDickPizza posted:

Man alive. I've seen and read recaps of some pretty terrible episodes of RAW, but reading that recap and watching those streamables? Holy gently caress, this has to be a top five all time worst episode, right? It was just like reading gut punch after gut punch of poor decision making.

It must be Monday.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who's this, why is everyone laughing, serious quesiton

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

davidbix posted:

OH! I remember this now. Context was very obviously "What the gently caress?" at the time.

It's a book about poo poo invented in Nazi Germany. The title basically translates to "The Nazis' inventions."

Probably not the best cover they could have gone with, mind.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

She's the last holdover from the Divas era (When they were hiring women based off their looks, never bothering to train them properly, and just using them as eye candy)

Her last gimmick in the WWE was being bad at wrestling and every week she would find an excuse not to wrestle, so she'd come out, her top would fall off, and she's run to the back. I have no idea who this was supposed to be getting over or why.

I think she admitted to hating wrestling and ended up trying to get into professional modeling/acting. I'm guessing it either didn't work out or since Johnny Ace is back, they backed a lot of money into her driveway. They fired four talented women that were actually over recently (Mickie James, Chelsea Green, and The Iiconics.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Her last gimmick in the WWE was being bad at wrestling and every week she would find an excuse not to wrestle, so she'd come out, her top would fall off, and she's run to the back. I have no idea who this was supposed to be getting over or why.

:eyepop: omg this will save Raw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Eva Marie was a pre-Womens Revolution divas wrestler noted for being the straight up worst case of Johnny Ace signing someone for their attractiveness and in no way athletic ability. She simply could not wrestle - and not in the Nia Jax case of was dangerous or "you can't wrestle" chants, as in she didn't understand the basic principles of how to do anything.

She was so bad it became her character that she wasn't to wrestle and became one of the few to be sent from the main roster to developmental as the Womens Revolution had by now taken off and showed that women were great wrestlers. This did not improve her (though at the time blamed on her given her contemporaries Tay Conti is now an example of just well they don't know what they're doing without people already talented when they get there.)

She proceeded to never have matches again where it straight up became her gimmick that she wasn't to wrestle and when she did they were terrible. Notably her best match ever was against Asuka and even that's best argument was it was a passable squash.

Then she was released and became the Ur-Example of the worst excesses of the divas era.

Oh and she lost several matches by accident. Seriously. She forgot to kick out on more than one occasion.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-29-2016/Ukb1MB.mp4

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 4, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I remember Eva Marie going, (eitehr off her own bat or at WWE urging), to Brian Kendrick and getting extra training. Because she was so bad in the ring. And was doing the work and getting better.

I also remember people making fun of her for that, which I didn't get. I mean sure, she sucked as a wrestler, but surely one shouldn't make fun of her for trying to be better by doing extra training.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It should be noted that she wasn't a random jobber either, or was charming and charismatic like the IIconics to make up for in ring deficiencies, she had NOTHING going for her apart from that she was attractive but was pushed as the hottest woman ever (physically, not as in a technician, her entire gimmick was She's Hot until her gimmick was She Can't Do Anything) and treated like A Real Big Deal for a while. Not as in so insane she got a title run or anything, but that even in the Divas era people could tell there were far more talented women than her that were being passed over and instead they kept getting Eva Marie failing upwards.

Also that her gimmick revolved around being so beautiful did lead to a lot of comparative thoughts from CM Punk/Samoa Joe's rant on Chris Masters "they were better looking people in the segment before AND after". It was strange all around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

well, I hope she got a ton of money from Vince to come back

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

I remember Eva Marie going, (eitehr off her own bat or at WWE urging), to Brian Kendrick and getting extra training. Because she was so bad in the ring. And was doing the work and getting better.

I also remember people making fun of her for that, which I didn't get. I mean sure, she sucked as a wrestler, but surely one shouldn't make fun of her for trying to be better by doing extra training.

They only shot vignettes at the Santino Bros school with Kendrick, she never actually trained there. The vignettes were an attempt to work the nxt marks into deciding shes one of "theirs" now and she'd be accepted as a champion in NXT. everyone saw right through it and they gave up and just put her back on the main roster where she continued to half rear end things until getting fired for popping for addy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I mean, isn't half-assing things something we usually applaud talent for? Like, yay she gets paid a bunch for basically robbing Vince by being useless?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I honestly remember people thinking it was cool that she was trying to get better in the ring, at least on here. There was probably one or two people being a dick about it but I think most people were willing to see how it panned out

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

jesus WEP posted:

I honestly remember people thinking it was cool that she was trying to get better in the ring, at least on here. There was probably one or two people being a dick about it but I think most people were willing to see how it panned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIxhan_OAl8

To get the whole picture you have to watch some full Eva Marie matches because it's not as simple as "oh she botched that's a dime a dozen". It was everything and you can see it in real time.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SevereTepidIzuthrush-mobile.mp4

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 4, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
in addition to eva marie another legend has returned

https://twitter.com/SqCReports/status/1389460029548335104?s=20

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That tweet is how I end up reminded that Jeff Hardy is still on the roster.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This can't be unrelated to John Laurenitis being rehired.
Why would you even bring him back? What did he ever do aside from leave the roster to rot on the vine in the 2000s and drive Kenny Omega to Japan for 15 years? I mean it's possible that they decided that they arn't bad enough at developing new prospects but they really are.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

he had a ton of great tag matches in the 90s

that's it, he's been a blight on wrestling otherwise

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
The negative reaction to her return proves that Eva Marie is actually the best heel in wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm a WWE viewer. What I really want to see is bad guys made to look weak and pathetic in a way that doesn't lead to a match, isn't settled in the ring, and involves public humiliation of the kind someone would only find funny if their brain was a souplike homogenate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Seams posted:

in addition to eva marie another legend has returned

https://twitter.com/SqCReports/status/1389460029548335104?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMgJXeK1Gg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ThePariah posted:

The negative reaction to her return proves that Eva Marie is actually the best heel in wrestling.

I will say some of the best heel heat I can recall in NXT was the time the crowd was convinced Eva was about to beat... Bayley I think for the belt? The crowd was so loving pissed for the whole match and then Eva lost to a huge pop.

But of course that's a testament to how poo poo she was and she should have never wrestled again after. If you can call what she does wrestling.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was Bayley, and both she and the NXT editors (probably mostly the editors) deserved a medal for getting a decent TV match out of Eva

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's also pretty impressive to get the Full Sail crowd to actually hate you.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It was during The Authority period and the angle was that Eva Marie was the handpicked NXT Women's champion. They brought in Charles Robinson as a ringer ref to favour Eva too.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ThePariah posted:

She rules

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The other thing about Eva Marie is that when she was signed it really seemed to be "to be on Total Divas" more than "to wrestle"

quote:

After graduating from Cal State Fullerton with a business degree, she moved to Los Angeles to pursue acting and modeling opportunities. Just by chance, she came across a casting call for WWE in 2013. After impressing the company's talent scouts, she earned a four-week tryout and then a developmental contract to WWE's training center in Orlando. And what felt like before the ink could dry, she was offered an interview for another television show within the wrestling entertainment company. She wasn't even clear on the possible gig but agreed.

Less than 48 hours later, she was told she had been cast on "Total Divas," a new reality show about women in the WWE and subsequently was moved to the main roster, despite having just two weeks of formal training.

To be fair, JoJo was also signed pretty much exclusively to be on Total Divas first, figure out something for her to do on Raw second. In confirming this, I found out her dad is former shortstop Jose Offerman.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 4, 2021

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The funniest part about Eva Marie is that before she was released, there were reports floating around that she was slated to be the FIRST EVER Smackdown Women's Champion instead of Becky. :eng101:

Them bringing her back despite all of her shortcomings (and there are a ton of them) shows WWE has officially stopped giving a gently caress about anything even remotely resembling passable women’s wrestling, at least on the main roster. It also shows that Bruce Pritchard, John Laurenitis, and Kevin Dunn have way more influence over the booking of the women again.

She was apparently trending all night on Twitter as well, although it was mainly fans making GBS threads all over WWE for bringing her back and killing the legitimacy of the women’s revolution.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 4, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Imagine telling people a year ago that AEW's women's division would be ahead of WWE's

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Imagine telling people a year ago that AEW's women's division would be ahead of WWE's

Some of us... kept the faith.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Obviously Stephanie posted this before the Eva stuff but still horrendous (and hilarious) optics.

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/1388927486902288387?s=19

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

i was.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i didn't watch it but one review I read said the video package was positioning Eva Marie as a happy, follow your dreams babyface? if so, that's a bit of a departure.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Everyone here is selling Eva Maria and her considerable talents short, smdh. She wasn't just super hot. She also wore red gear and had red hair!!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://twitter.com/natalieevamarie/status/1038589932309118976

She's also MAGA

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

All red everything.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

Everyone here is selling Eva Maria and her considerable talents short, smdh. She wasn't just super hot. She also wore red gear and had red hair!!!

All red everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

What a heel