Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't care for animal suffering, therefore don't care for the moral arguments for veganism. If you do, fair play to you to get angry or evangelical about it. But meh, industrial slaughter of pigs to give me delicious bacon doesn't bother me.

This is actually appalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't care for animal suffering, therefore don't care for the moral arguments for veganism. If you do, fair play to you to get angry or evangelical about it. But meh, industrial slaughter of pigs to give me delicious bacon doesn't bother me.

nailed it.

this a great example of the kind of poo poo people come out with when they ask why you picked the vegan option for dinner.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I turned vegetarian when I was 15 and had to explain to so many aghast people that I just stopped answering any questions about it and told people i didn't want to talk about it

I started eating meat a while back and ended up turning vegetarian again because I was so creeped out by the number of people literally congratulating me out of he blue for eating meat again

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1389507819276316672?s=19

E L E C T A B I L I T Y

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm against animal suffering enough to feel guilty about all of the meat that I eat.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't particularly care whether my food tastes good, as long as it doesn't taste bad.
I like meat, but could do without it if needed. But I'm also too lazy and unfussed about food in general to waste any time finding other things to eat.

I like ______, so I'll keep eating ______ while it's available.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: as an obligate carnivore the vegan wolf is also unlikely to win because it looks so weak
Wolves aren't actually obligate carnivores, cats are but canines can actually get nutrition from other things they eat

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When you have been vegetarian for more than a few years meat just smells and tastes gross (spoiler it is gross and so is the industry surrounding it). There is however no effective vegan replacement for cheese, so that will need to be pried from my cold, dead, slender vegetarian hands.

Also people who go on about bacon, and how amazing it is are worse than evangelical vegans imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Starting to get a little concerned that nothing is growing on this land that I burnt down and salted

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Nice to see some honest plain-speaking in politics for once.
https://twitter.com/Jamesdbaker1/status/1389312069124591616

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

multijoe posted:

The only ethical diet is veganism, and the only tolerably ethical diet is vegetarianism

Necrothatcher posted:

nailed it.

this a great example of the kind of poo poo people come out with when they ask why you picked the vegan option for dinner.

The ethical stuff was brought up by a vegan first. I'm not gonna quiz why someone picks their own food choices, but if they are going to state their option is the only ethical one...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bacon isn't even a good meat imo

All the animals would eat us if the situation was reversed so really industrial mass killing of them is morally neutral at worse

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

stev posted:

I'm against animal suffering enough to feel guilty about all of the meat that I eat.

Yeah this, pretty much. But I have reduced that amount considerably and avoid beef and chicken in particular

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

I mean, we always knew claims of "electablity" was bollocks, but the fact that someone could actually write that sentence is truly amazing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Bacon isn't even a good meat imo

I’d take a nicely season sausage over bacon any day of the week. If I really wanted to replicate the bacon experience I could just smother it in salt too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The ethical stuff was brought up by a vegan first. I'm not gonna quiz why someone picks their own food choices, but if they are going to state their option is the only ethical one...

I'm not a vegan and was joking about how punishing being one would be you dope

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Also people who go on about bacon, and how amazing it is are worse than evangelical vegans imo.

I would eat an Epic Bacon Guy no problem, and make orphans of their children . I imagine the marbling would be exquisite.

Hopefully being Epic Bacon isn't a prion-transmitted pathology

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1389508872734380032

mods rename me hamas bin contracts

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1389512376555290625
"Non voters lose the right to complain" is some loving nerve from someone who spent most of 2019 trying to get everyone to vote in a manner that guaranteed a Johnson victory.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I almost wasn't going to bother voting at all, but this has given me the kick I need to go and do my part in crushing the Labour party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would eat an Epic Bacon Guy no problem, and make orphans of their children . I imagine the marbling would be exquisite.

Hopefully being Epic Bacon isn't a prion-transmitted pathology
I would hunt and eat two thirds of British males in 10 years before the predicted end of their life, as is their wish.

Gammons on the menu.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

multijoe posted:

I'm not a vegan and was joking about how punishing being one would be you dope

In that case I plead Poe's Law

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jose posted:

the uk needs a Terror

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I would hunt and eat two thirds of British males in 10 years before the predicted end of their life, as is their wish.

Gammons on the menu.

Yuck. As someone who prefers organic free-range meat the idea of eating a gammon is very unappealing. I can’t imagine most of them have diets and lifestyles that would lead to tasty, high-quality meat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Gammons on the menu.

Because my gimmick itt is shoehorning Propagandhi songs into topics

They have a great song on this exact topic, Humane Meat - The Flensing of Sandor Katz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gGwTjkcIs

Also the only song I know of to use the lyrics "spreadable headcheese"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I would forgoe vegetarianism if the opportunity arose to eat the rich.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I absolutely love the fact that she thinks forcing people who won’t vote because they’re disengaged from politics is somehow going to result in better outcomes

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Not eating meat is one thing, telling folk in this godforsaken nation you don't drink alcohol is a real eye opener, like I grew horns mid conversation

"Oh god that's terrible did a doctor say you couldn't? Maybe you could ask for a second opinion"

"How do you cope?"

"Oh come on, just one won't hurt"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

I mean, we always knew claims of "electablity" was bollocks, but the fact that someone could actually write that sentence is truly amazing.

The sense of entitlement in that paragraph really is... something.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Noxville posted:

I’d take a nicely season sausage over bacon any day of the week. If I really wanted to replicate the bacon experience I could just smother it in salt too.

Guess one of the main ingredients of sausages.
pork sausage: about 1/3 pretty fat bacon and 2/3 not-too-lean meat

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are there any good ones? I've heard Violife is ok but am reluctant to be disappointed. When I finally someday get my Beyond Burgers from Tesco it would be nice to have a nonshit cheese to top it

I've tried a lot and unfortunately none of them have been any good as cheese. A few were quite nice in their own right, but they weren't cheese. And all the ones made with coconut are just gross, if you're going to try them stick with the pistachio and cashew ones imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Because my gimmick itt is shoehorning Propagandhi songs into topics

They have a great song on this exact topic, Humane Meat - The Flensing of Sandor Katz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gGwTjkcIs

Also the only song I know of to use the lyrics "spreadable headcheese"

This is a good gimmick & you should do it more life because Propagandhi are rad

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

keep punching joe posted:

When you have been vegetarian for more than a few years meat just smells and tastes gross

Untrue, unless 40 years isn't long enough to tell. I mean I don't doubt that happened to you, but it definitely hasn't to me, nor to other veggies I've known.

The thing I dread people saying when they discover I'm vegetarian is "I couldn't do that, I just like meat too much". So do I you arseholes, don't diminish my struggle :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

there's not enough green and the blue and red are all mixed together

But enough about UK politics

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

big scary monsters posted:

I've tried a lot and unfortunately none of them have been any good as cheese. A few were quite nice in their own right, but they weren't cheese. And all the ones made with coconut are just gross, if you're going to try them stick with the pistachio and cashew ones imo.

I don't know about pistachios but aren't cashews harvested in insanely awful conditions? Like the plant emits caustic chemicals and they are mostly harvested by literal slaves who are forced to work until their skin burns off?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't know about pistachios but aren't cashews harvested in insanely awful conditions? Like the plant emits caustic chemicals and they are mostly harvested by literal slaves who are forced to work until their skin burns off?

great, now you've ruined cashew nuts for me

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Let's go back to the glory days when nothing was bad and there were no problems

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1389525532954480642?s=20

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't know about that, my main point is to stay away from coconut based "cheese". You can make a pretty good cheeselike sauce for some recipes with a base of potato and nutritional yeast though.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

MikeCrotch posted:

I turned vegetarian when I was 15 and had to explain to so many aghast people that I just stopped answering any questions about it and told people i didn't want to talk about it

I started eating meat a while back and ended up turning vegetarian again because I was so creeped out by the number of people literally congratulating me out of he blue for eating meat again

The other day I was chatting to a friend and I mentioned having a sausage roll and they lit up and asked me if the vegetarian thing passed. The disappointment when I clarified it was fake sausage was palpable.

I'm a poo poo vegetarian since I don't even attempt proper vegetable focused recipes, I just cook the same bland poo poo I always cooked except with plant-based substitutes for my mince and tatties or burgers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

great, now you've ruined cashew nuts for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just wait until you hear about the coconut slave monkeys!