Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (June 30, 1945)

Those Were the Days (February 26, 1953)

Excellent DL, as per usual.

In this TWTD, neither panel makes sense; Those Days were firmly in the period of “children should be seen and not heard (except to be trotted out to recite poems, for some reason)”
and These Days was the start of the popularity of parenting guides (Spock et al), most of which encouraged letting your children ask questions and having conversations with them.

No, I’m not sure why so much of my commentary ITT has been about this proto-boomer strip when there are so many others that are either better or worse. Goon pedant gonna pedant, I guess!

(Also Slammy, I can’t believe I only just noticed that you post all your comics in strict chronological order! It makes for a cool experience watching the styles/cartooning trends evolve)

Ps Did anyone else spot the Loris joke in the Almanac? The man loved making puns about those lil dudes.

E: HELLO, FATTY

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "40 - Jucika's Boss Jubilee"

No good deed goes unpunished.

"Jucika Wakes"

One thing I wonder about with Jucika is how the strip is full of tropes from a wealthy, free society even though at the time Hungary was somewhat poor and under a particularly repressive Communist regime. Russia had just put down the 1956 rebellion; clothing and food were produced by state monopolies, and feminism was considered a counter-revolutionary ideology. A single woman in fun flirty fashions paying for a decent apartment with modern domestic conveniences from a nonspecific job would have been nearly impossible there at the time. But obviously the authorities were OK with it and I understand it was fairly popular at the time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (February 12-18, 2001)

Something of note is that this strip features cameos of Gene Catlow and Catswhisker, characters belonging to beloved oldschool furry artist Albert Temple and his fiancée, Tawana Gilroy. Temple's webcomic, Gene Catlow, ran regular updates from July 2000 until his death in March 2017 -- when it was revealed that Temple had been running sockpuppet accounts and comics not only for his fiance, but also his best friend, best friend's wife, their parents, and at least two other artists. Current count is at least seven identities died along with Temple. :smith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That plan9.org url sure does go places nowadays

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

curtadams posted:

One thing I wonder about with Jucika is how the strip is full of tropes from a wealthy, free society even though at the time Hungary was somewhat poor and under a particularly repressive Communist regime. Russia had just put down the 1956 rebellion; clothing and food were produced by state monopolies, and feminism was considered a counter-revolutionary ideology. A single woman in fun flirty fashions paying for a decent apartment with modern domestic conveniences from a nonspecific job would have been nearly impossible there at the time. But obviously the authorities were OK with it and I understand it was fairly popular at the time.

This is good insight and Jucika does play pretty loose with reality unless it wants to tell a specific joke. On the other hand over time we'll see that Jucika has held down more jobs than Homer Simpson, so we can assume she works full time and we're seeing the fun snippets between that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Jan. 21, 1945)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A few centuries early for a Christmas tree.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (July 11, 1992)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Voltin Bolt posted:

Something of note is that this strip features cameos of Gene Catlow and Catswhisker, characters belonging to beloved oldschool furry artist Albert Temple and his fiancée, Tawana Gilroy. Temple's webcomic, Gene Catlow, ran regular updates from July 2000 until his death in March 2017 -- when it was revealed that Temple had been running sockpuppet accounts and comics not only for his fiance, but also his best friend, best friend's wife, their parents, and at least two other artists. Current count is at least seven identities died along with Temple. :smith:

Casual googling didn't get me anything that got into the specifics of this, do you have a link? It sounds fascinating.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

curtadams posted:

I mean, you’re asking “why would the state-owned paper under a Communist dictatorship - a dictatorship which saw neighboring countries invaded when they weren’t hard-core Communist enough - have a comic strip which showed life as easy and breezy and living up to Western free market standards instead of the actual drab, censored, in-short-supply, and generally disgruntled living that was actually going on?”

Which, I should point out, is in absolute contrast to the overwhelming and ever-present poverty and racism in Dark Laughter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

curtadams posted:

probably because post 1956 reforms made hungary "the happiest barracks in the eastern bloc"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Comet

You know you've got a gale going when the panel borders start swaying.

And yeah, as Kennel mentions, it's interesting to see what story beats and not actually get adapted in this adaption, compared to the original comic story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

he's right

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Little My gives no fucks.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

I'm interested.

Mary Worth

We're all printer-carriers once in a while.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

A phone conversation? With Buck? I can't wait!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

It’s a reverse Dorothy Gale!

Classic Zits

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ed's a svelte 239 lbs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't see the value of education.

Working Daze is doing this I guess.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just an urban legend.

Cul De Sac is going every which way but lose.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the book he wakes up inside a house and is teased by a large group of entertainers. He tries to escape, but this one lady keep tormenting him for longer than is necessary, until he turns the tables and kisses her in front of everyone else, which makes her the target of mockery.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Today's theme is unsolicited kissing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Voltin Bolt posted:

What a sad story.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's some words about the dead furry guy: https://old.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/mtkwxr/furry_fandomwebcomics_four_for_the_price_of_one/

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Okay I think I got four reasonable samples?
Kit guys wife?

Kit guy

Gene girlfirend

Gene guy

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

By the way, that link isn't kidding when they say there are no SFW samples of "Kit n Kay Boodle" before anyone does any innocent googling.

Not me though, I was poisoned by the internet by 2002.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Julet Esqu posted:

Raise your hand if you're surprised to find out Bern is a bad fish mom. :colbert:

Every time you think "Bernice can't possibly KEEP being the worst," she comes through in the clutch!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1945)

Aleta, on the other hand, keeps being amazing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aleta is just getting started.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Fighting Trousers posted:

Right? Val just wants so hard to be ice cold vengeance and Aleta just keeps clowning on him and humoring his now weeks days long tantrum.

e: ok it's just a few days but still

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 4, 2021

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (August 10, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 10, 1965)

I really enjoyed this two-shot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Just do the 'you know, I have epilepsy too and manage to live independently' 'WHAAAA' reveal already, this arc has been going for months.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats is probably doing a week of this.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Brighton Beach Memoirs. I'd forgotten all about this movie until you said this.

The only two scenes I remember are that and a woman being on a date when the War of the Worlds broadcast happens, which causes her date to abandon her and run screaming into the night.
I should have mentioned it all took place in England, sorry.

That's it! I remember a scatter-shot of scenes but the painting-the-nylon-line and the protagonist getting the ball past gramps at the end stick out in my head.

B Kliban

I always wonder what they did with crosses after they were all used up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My mother always wanted to show me Hope and Glory as a kid when I got into WWII. I think she forgot about the pearls bit...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Voltin Bolt posted:

Let us not go to the Internet. It is a silly place.

Deathless Deer 1/25-27/43

And no, I wasn't kidding about this flashback taking weeks of newspaper time to play out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kavak posted:

My mother always wanted to show me Hope and Glory as a kid when I got into WWII. I think she forgot about the pearls bit...

Just tell your mom, no big deal, you've seen hairier.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Today's theme is unsolicited kissing.

Penn and Teller: The Early Years

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Fighting Trousers posted:

howe_sam posted:

Aleta is just getting started.

El Spamo posted:

Right? Val just wants so hard to be ice cold vengeance and Aleta just keeps clowning on him and humoring his now weeks days long tantrum.

e: ok it's just a few days but still

Aleta is absolutely in complete control of the situation and I can promise it only gets better from here.

I like that the joke is slightly different every time (even if the main joke is just how silly the illustration is). Harry's Squid-be-gone is my favorite one.

Selachian posted:

And no, I wasn't kidding about this flashback taking weeks of newspaper time to play out.

Honestly, good, faux ancient Egyptian political intrigue is more fun than the goofy modern day part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This one got me good.