Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I didn't realize this thread is five pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
for fringe benefits, sure, but for the staples of poo poo like health insurance... eh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

common mistake

danes cover their racism better

danes are more overtly racist than the dutch. it is only an american obsession with symbology that makes people think differently.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Eeyo posted:

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

what’s that supposed to mean? like yeah implicit bias is, at least partly, underlying actual racism of the society you are in. why does he say that and also reject living in a racist culture?

or is he saying the concept of implicit bias is “actually racist” against whites?

it's basically "i don't like what you're saying would imply if it was true, therefore it isn't"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Eeyo posted:

“I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.”

what’s that supposed to mean? like yeah implicit bias is, at least partly, underlying actual racism of the society you are in. why does he say that and also reject living in a racist culture?

or is he saying the concept of implicit bias is “actually racist” against whites?

he means this

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1389224407176937472

Look, you just can't be marginalized if you are in tech. :thunk:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I thought the pinboard guy was cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nvrgrls posted:

the pinboard guy is mostly cool but there's deffo some clunkers in that catalog

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

cool.
they can't all be gold posts

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Anyway. I think any company exec that reads about this basecamp nonsense is going to walk away thinking "those morons posted internal policy changes on company public-facing blog, thank god our company isn't stupid and does not do that".

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

DHH was always a self-righteous blowhard but a bit of a shame that there's no industry guy who's going to be the one pushing "VC sucks and is bad for society"

maybe Tim O'Reilly? https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/26/tim-oreilly-makes-a-persuasive-case-for-why-venture-capital-is-starting-to-do-more-harm-than-good/

kinda goes to show that as with Chamath Palihapitiya trying to be the "I'm the good crypto-hyping SPAC-hustler venture capitalist, I run a fund called Social Capital and tweet in support of WallStreetBets and dunk on CNBC hosts on live TV", all of these guys are just posing

I like Tim's books though and he's an old-timer so maybe he's cool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nvrgrls posted:

Anyway. I think any company exec that reads about this basecamp nonsense is going to walk away thinking "those morons posted internal policy changes on company public-facing blog, thank god our company isn't stupid and does not do that".
part of basecamps "brand" is "the enlightened workplace culture company that does everything right" so why wouldnt they announce a major change in how they work internally on a big public forum?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

are they the ones that have no private email and instead all emails are posted to a series of nested listservs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nvrgrls posted:

cool.
they can't all be gold posts
right. ya gotta keep moving em

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

rotor posted:

honestly none of this would be even remotely newsworthy if these dipshits hadnt been held up as management wunderkinds for the last decade or so

eh, Rework was at the top of the last decade. They've only been noteworthy in the background since.

Now I'm wondering what skeletons are in Fog Creek Software's closet. They unionized, but they lost a third of the workforce anyway: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/22/21268007/glitch-layoffs-substantial-number-coding-platform-union

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Maximo Roboto posted:

eh, Rework was at the top of the last decade. They've only been noteworthy in the background since.

Now I'm wondering what skeletons are in Fog Creek Software's closet. They unionized, but they lost a third of the workforce anyway: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/22/21268007/glitch-layoffs-substantial-number-coding-platform-union

they laid people off because they don't have a product and have no revenue tho, not to get rid of the woke troublemakers

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the talent deficit posted:

they laid people off because they don't have a product and have no revenue tho, not to get rid of the woke troublemakers

i thought FCS was behind poo poo like stack overflow / discourse / fogbugz or whatever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah and has anyone used fogbugz in a decade

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

i thought FCS was behind poo poo like stack overflow / discourse / fogbugz or whatever

snack overflow is jef fatwood

fogbugz is joel spolsky

idk who discourse is

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

yeah lol at the end of the day for all of their books and essays about management, both 37Signals and Fog Creek are relics of that weird lull in the tech industry between the dot com bust and before the current era really took off.

Instead of trying to get with the times and become unicorns they opted to become thought leaders. Turns out becoming a thought leader doesn't save your moral soul nor does it make for a profitable company

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Zamujasa posted:

nah. stack overflow is also owned by sposky and discourse spun out of stack overflow but fog creek (now glitch) only does glitch i think. i think even fogbugz got sold

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

idk who discourse is

it's also jeff fatwood

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

snack overflow is jef fatwood

fogbugz is joel spolsky

idk who discourse is

six course is also by chef fatwood

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
all i remember about fog creek was that weird webputty poo poo that was just a live css editor, when jsfiddle already existed. the only thing people thought of when they saw it was "wait, isn't that dumb lizard thing the notepad++ icon"

i think they also made trello before atlassian ate it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

all I remember about Fog Creek is people reposting Spolsky's essays ad nauseum and using them to denounce the the perils of JavaSchools and the State of CS Education These Days, or why you should never rewrite a software program and other stuff he wrote in 2005

he wasn't entirely wrong but it did get cargo culty after a while

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
also just remembering that jeffatwood showed up on something awful to espouse the values of ~gamification~

wheres my medal for shitposting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nah. stack overflow is also owned by sposky and discourse spun out of stack overflow but fog creek (now glitch) only does glitch i think. i think even fogbugz got sold

"The website was created by Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky in 2008.[7]"

huh. i did not remember that.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lmao finally he's getting backlash for his "Netscape 5.0 means you should never ever rewrite software" axiom:

https://radialdevgroup.com/blog/joel-spolsky-was-wrong/

https://medium.com/cyberark-engineering/joel-is-wrong-and-it-costs-you-a-fortune-105924be8f01

Oh hey thought leader on thought leader arguing:

https://signalvnoise.com/posts/3856-the-big-rewrite-revisited

Anyway, back to the thread topic, was dhh the only big industry person bashing venture funding in these terms? The problem is that he sort of turned himself into a crank for it, and ended up poisoning the cause

https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1195019455912218624
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1195009383349903361
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1377210518532939781

way to discredit VC critique with your own personal failings, dumbass

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So this Singer guy seems to have been playing footsie with white replacement talking points for at least a decade now, which isn't all that surprising I suppose, but lol at the history of the "no politics" founders earnestly engaging with his dumbass takes:

https://twitter.com/hagitprop/status/1388224100636758016

This thread reminds me of one bit from that article that I don't think I've seen anyone else comment on yet:

Casey Newton posted:

Along the way, he had also alienated some of his coworkers by promoting conservative views. In 2016, three employees said, he praised right-wing website Breitbart’s coverage of the presidential election in an internal forum. (About a week before rolling out the policy changes, the founders deleted nearly two decades of internal conversations from previous instances of Basecamp and its other collaboration products. Among other things, this made it more difficult for employees I spoke with to accurately describe past interactions with Singer in the forums.)

Retaining internal comms for two decades and making them accessible to all employees seems like an, uh, unconventional choice. Blowing that up in the middle of an internal controversy while announcing dramatic policy changes sure seems like a hell of a choice, too. Frankly, I'm impressed by how they took the many goofy things they were doing and then abruptly changed those goofy things in the goofiest, most dramatic, most disruptive way possible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

way to discredit VC critique with your own personal failings, dumbass

the dude was in bed the whole time ok cut him some slack

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

Frankly, I'm impressed by how they took the many goofy things they were doing and then abruptly changed those goofy things in the goofiest, most dramatic, most disruptive way possible.

that's what makes it so funny

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

rotor posted:

I just wonder if there's anyone else bothering to criticize VCs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

I just wonder if there's anyone else bothering to criticize VCs

you mean like publicly successful people with a media voice? pinboard dude springs to mind.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

rotor posted:

whom amongst us

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

rotor posted:

that's what makes it so funny

I don't ever recall seeing a corncobbing of an entire tech company before, I can't get enough of this story

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

nvrgrls posted:

pinboard guy is from a very poor country and his perspective on americans complaining about anything ever is very directly related to that

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
what the hell is pinboard

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

lifg posted:

what the hell is pinboard

del.icio.us successor.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

del.icio.us successor.

fact: pinboard eventually bought delicious, then killed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

rotor posted:

fact: pinboard eventually bought delicious, then killed it

thank you for not claiming that was a fun fact.