Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Owlspiracy posted:

i have some bad news for you on the political beliefs of the police
I have some bad news about the political beliefs of the POTUS. He is still fully in support of the war on drugs that only exists to imprison and kill minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they dislike the far right so much you would think they might stop shoveling money at them.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

If they dislike the far right so much you would think they might stop shoveling money at them.

who is they, posters in this thread?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I see so many posters on SA throwing around "liberal" like its a curse word. What version of this word are you using cause it sure ain't the one used the most in common parlance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Outside of an american context it basically just means pro marketization/capitalism. In an american context it also means that except for some reason with "but not the republicans" tacked on.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Outside of an american context it basically just means pro marketization/capitalism. In an american context it also means that except for some reason with "but not the republicans" tacked on.

Gotcha. That's what I figured but the way it gets used really seems inconsistent a lot of the time in a way that makes it harder to parse out that distinction.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

no, to most people, liberal means something that is politically left of center. it has a different definition in the online left (neoliberalism; bad) and the right (anything not republican; bad).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Liberalism, to most people, means free market capitalism + I guess gays can marry.

They're the fiscally right wing, socially left wing group. Nobody thinks of them as significantly left of center outside of the American right wing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlspiracy posted:

no, to most people, liberal means something that is politically left of center. it has a different definition in the online left (neoliberalism; bad) and the right (anything not republican; bad).

that's fine but liberal literally does mean what Owl said, individual rights and free trade are a major part of what liberal means politically, that's why libertarian freaks like Dave Rubin call themselves 'classical liberals' and poo poo because they know in America that term has been so diluted and watered down it makes dumb people go 'liberals good, not republicans'.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Giggle Goose posted:

Gotcha. That's what I figured but the way it gets used really seems inconsistent a lot of the time in a way that makes it harder to parse out that distinction.

It's inconsistent because different groups of people use it to mean different things. American right wing media and politicians use "liberal" interchangeably with "leftist" because to them there's no difference or distinction, they mean the same thing to those people. American leftists use it to differentiate between people who want actual economic and social change, and people who are fine with the status quo aside from wishing it would be nicer to minorities, or at least some minorities. For example TERFs can be liberal in that they're often fully supportive of things like gay rights or criminal justice reform, but still want to discriminate against trans people.

Again, to the American right, people like Freep, saying "I think it's fine to be gay" makes you the reincarnation of Karl Marx, but it's useful to be able to differentiate people who say "Capitalism is hosed up, trans rights, defund the police" and people who say "There's nothing wrong with capitalism if we just do it the right way, also we should help the homeless (but don't build homeless shelters in our city because it will drive down property values)."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the american right also use it to describe anything that isn't them, but they also use the word communism to describe that so I wouldn't pay their use of language much mind.

Generally if someone is using the word liberal as an invective from the left it probably means someone who they perceive the overriding objective of to be supporting capitalism, including its supporting structures of things like racism, class discrimination, and probably a bunch of lovely social ideas too (as many economic liberals really only support what you might call "progressive" positions out of convenience, as evidenced by how many of them were very lovely about it before various center/left parties and corporations decided they wanted to capitalize on the hard work of LGBT activists to get themselves into power/sell poo poo. Hence the use of the term "rainbow washing" whereby something that was up until fairly recently, near universally demonized by all parts of the mainstream political spectrum has instead become commodified by capital and center/left parties as a tool, but only insofar as it benefits them, which is why you will often see the same parties shying away from more currently-radical positions like trans rights (particularly in the UK) and also anything where social progressivism would interfere with economic liberalism (maybe you should be allowed to transition but you should still have to pay for it).

Which also leads to things like the expression "liberals don't want a gay homeless kid to die because they're gay, they want them to die because they're poor" because they will rarely offer serious support to people who suffer because of the second-order effects of things like racism and anti LGBT discrimination, such as poverty. Also evident in their attitude to policing whereby they are generally extremely unwilling to consider scaling back the police (because the police exist to protect wealthy people and their stuff) despite this obviously causing a lot of problems for the people the police victimize.

A typical liberal position is to basically complain about the visibly horrific effects of capitalism but to almost always oppose any direct attack against the causes of those effects, because they are unwilling to grapple with the fact that they must have the horrors if they want the things they like about the system. This as opposed to the right which is generally more coherent about liking both the cause and the effects. But the end result is very similar, the effects still happen whether the people in power profess sadness about it or jubilation.

Hence, liberal means support for capitalism and marketization, liberals may profess or sometimes even hold other positions, but they are not a necessary component of liberalism. Only deviation from the economics will really get you shut out of power systemically, though sometimes concerted grassroots outcry has managed to make some of them stumble when they deviate sufficiently from socially progressive positions. However it is just as easily papered over if the person in question is sufficiently important, as is very helpfully demonstrated by Biden. Money and power are, as ever, the real things that matter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 3, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Giggle Goose posted:

I think it’s kind of a dirty word hereabouts because it basically tends to mean republicans who think you should be able to use whatever bathroom you want, who are in control of the Democrat party; and in America are constantly labeled as “the left” except they are actually right of center.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm so glad that we have the freep thread, somewhere to point and laugh at the regressive shitheads of the far right have stupid slapfights between internet leftists and liberals. :sigh:

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Florida principal caught on secret camera paddling 6 year-old…

quote:

To: Red Badger
Oh the horror! A feral child is paddled in an attempt to show her that actions have consequences. It's' a lesson best learned sooner than later. The state dishes out far harsher punishments.

9 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:09:50 PM by Governor Dinwiddie (Working like Crazy to support the Lazy.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]
What isn't a false flag these days?

quote:

To: TexasGator
It seems like a setup. People know phones have cameras...................

12 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:11:22 PM by Red Badger (Jesus said there is no marriage in Heaven. That's why they call it Heaven.....................)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

Obviously the mother gave the principal permission. Now she’ll deny it and sue the school.

20 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:16:22 PM by P-Marlowe (Freep mail me if you want to be on my Fingerstyle Acoustic Guitar Ping List )

quote:

Absolutely. And gosh society was so out of control back then.

Oh. Wait...

One of the major problems these days is that kids never run
into a “NO” before adulthood.

Thank goodness this mom will have no problem convincing this
child that the adult was wrong and nothing she did was.

Society will have to resolve this kid’s issues after she
turns into an adult.

Some officer will shout stop and will have to shoot her as
as she barrels ahead.

21 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:17:23 PM by DoughtyOne (Folks, if you haven't yet, please start an automatic monthly for Jim and his crew.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Pining_4_TX
The mother gave permission. Obviously.

When I was growing up, the paddle was the rod of correction and the teacher was given in loco parente rights of discipline including swats.

The problem in schools today is that teachers fear the students instead of students fearing their teachers.

If your kid was deliberately misbehaving in school and the school called and requested permission to give your kid a swat, would you deny it. And if you denied it, how would you deal with your out of control child?

Time out?

26 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:22:33 PM by P-Marlowe (Freep mail me if you want to be on my Fingerstyle Acoustic Guitar Ping List )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

quote:

Heck, my 12th grade German teacher threw a textbook across the room and hit a kid on the head. The kid deserved it. It also got caught on video.

The entire class watched the video for the rest of the class laughing loud and hard, including the kid who got tagged.

28 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:23:08 PM by cyclotic (Live your life in such a way that they hate you as much as they hated Rush Limbaugh)

quote:

o: Red Badger
Oh hell yeah!

39 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:32:03 PM by shotgun
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

We got swats in fact I was a regular bring it back

44 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:38:09 PM by al baby (Hi Mom Hi Dad)

quote:

To: TexasGator
more kids need to be paddled. that’s the problem is there is NO discipline anymore.

56 posted on 5/3/2021, 1:50:02 PM by spacejunkie2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Pining_4_TX
First of all your Freeper page says you are a home schooling momma emeritus and grandma. So no one was ever going to hit one of your kids anyway! Secondly, the schools got God out of the buildings in the 60’s and had no support from parents when kids did go bad thus the loss of corporal punishment due to law suits and permissive policies. So for many students there was no early correction of bad behaviors before they got worse in these students over time. The southern schools held on for years but finally most have dropped the practice. If the little brat did such damage then I’m glad she got swatted...well no one says the kid actually died(oh really...a few little red marks...pay the family a million dollars/sarcasm) and it is a matter of personal perception as to whether or not the principal actually had real hatred for the little girl...plus the mom just stood there and let it happen. If the mom was negative against spanking she should have told the the principal to hold her fire and let her, the mom, do the punishing.

67 posted on 5/3/2021, 2:07:19 PM by mdmathis6
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

Interesting to see how many small government conservatives want to have the government, via teachers unions, spanking kids.

75 posted on 5/3/2021, 2:25:30 PM by TankerKC (Be first with the truth. )

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am going to assume just by the tone that the child wasn't white.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am going to assume just by the tone that the child wasn't white.

Neither the child nor the teacher, if I'm thinking of the right video

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Neither the child nor the teacher, if I'm thinking of the right video

surprised freep isnt more divided in opinion then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"We got spanked all the time and turned out fine!" say extremely racist, sexist group of people who want to commit genocide.

quote:

Interesting to see how many small government conservatives want to have the government, via teachers unions, spanking kids.

This dude has Freep's number though. If you want to get Freep railing against spanking in schools, make up a fake story about a liberal teacher spanking a kid for saying God or something.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
A lot of CHUDs I've encountered in the wild seem to care deeply about their right to beat their kids. I think it's mostly because their parents abused them, and they think it's either normal or that it simply would be unfair to not beat their kids. It's...pretty disturbing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The correct response to "My parents beat me, and it never did me any harm" is "Yes it did. It made you think it was acceptable to beat children."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deptfordx posted:

The correct response to "My parents beat me, and it never did me any harm" is "Yes it did. It made you think it was acceptable to beat children."

It's crazy how the same people who think you have to be a manly man who manlies all the time also think it isn't pathetic to beat someone who is weaker, dumber and smaller then you by like a magnitude.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

quote:

The problem in schools today is that teachers fear the students instead of students fearing their teachers.

Ah yes, fear based education. A sure recipe for success.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

DarkCrawler posted:

It's crazy how the same people who think you have to be a manly man who manlies all the time also think it isn't pathetic to beat someone who is weaker, dumber and smaller then you by like a magnitude.

They view empathy as weakness

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Lmfao wtf is this probe

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm so glad that we have the freep thread, somewhere to point and laugh at the regressive shitheads of the far right have stupid slapfights between internet leftists and liberals. :sigh:

The modern far right owes a fair chunk of its ideology to anti-egalitarian liberalism, though? Like, fascism can quite accurately be described as the last line of defence of free-market capitalism - Nazi Germany, for instance, first coined the term 'privatisation'.

quote:

The month after being appointed Chancellor, Hitler made a personal appeal to German business leaders to help fund the Nazi Party for the crucial months that were to follow. He argued that they should support him in establishing a dictatorship because "private enterprise cannot be maintained in the age of democracy" and because democracy would allegedly lead to communism. In the following weeks, the Nazi Party received contributions from seventeen different business groups, with the largest coming from IG Farben and Deutsche Bank. Many of these businesses continued to support Hitler even during the war and even profited from persecution of the Jews. The most infamous being firms like Krupp, IG Farben, and some large automobile manufacturers. Historian Adam Tooze writes that the leaders of German business were therefore "willing partners in the destruction of political pluralism in Germany." In exchange, owners and managers of German businesses were granted unprecedented powers to control their workforce, collective bargaining was abolished and wages were frozen at a relatively low level. Business profits also rose very rapidly, as did corporate investment.

A thread about mocking fascism that can't engage with the ideology's history and relationships is nothing but an exercise in idiocy and ignorance.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just because freep and free market share some letters doesn't mean the random chuds posting on freep give an actual gently caress about some narrow economic interpretation of liberalism, or that such an interpretation has any place in this thread. They like the authoritarianism exhibited by strongmen throughout history, any economic discussion is completely vestigal.

If you wanna scream about liberals there are other threads, or just go post on freep yourself, you'll find a receptive audience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pander posted:

Just because freep and free market share some letters doesn't mean the random chuds posting on freep give an actual gently caress about some narrow economic interpretation of liberalism, or that such an interpretation has any place in this thread. They like the authoritarianism exhibited by strongmen throughout history, any economic discussion is completely vestigal.

If you wanna scream about liberals there are other threads, or just go post on freep yourself, you'll find a receptive audience.

Yeah, this is the dumb poo poo I'm talking about. Freep's social Darwinism and 'muh freedoms' hypocrisy is heavily rooted in liberal intellectual tradition, and getting mad when people point that out helps nobody.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Ms Adequate posted:

Lmfao wtf is this probe

Meeting effort with effort.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So what's going on at Freerepublic.com right now?

Why Did Biden Census Bureau Add 2.5 Million More Residents to Blue-State Population Count?

OP posted:

The original projections for the Census reapportionment had New York losing two seats, Rhode Island losing a seat and Illinois perhaps losing two seats. Instead, New York and Illinois only lost one seat, and Rhode Island lost no seats. Meanwhile, Texas was expected to gain three seats, Florida two seats and Arizona one seat. Instead, Texas gained only two seats, Florida only one and Arizona none.
So you're saying that states with sizable Hispanic populations might have been undercounted on the Census? I wonder how that could have happened? :thunk:

quote:

To: Kaslin

Wait. You’re trying to tell me the Dems cheat?

3 posted on 05/04/2021 4:36:07 AM PDT by Old Coach1

quote:

To: Thunder90

Dems lie like rugs. They cheat all the time.

4 posted on 05/04/2021 4:36:13 AM PDT by flaglady47 (Donald J.Trump, President in 2024 - DeSantis for VP or Senior Advisor)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Common Core! :argh:

quote:

I guarantee it is not just because they used Common Core math!

5 posted on 05/04/2021 4:36:56 AM PDT by MtnClimber (For photos of Colorado scenery and wildlife, click on my screeen name for my FR home page.)

quote:

To: Thunder90

Rumor I heard is that the count will stand and that the Court will not support a recount of any kind.

8 posted on 05/04/2021 4:42:26 AM PDT by Sacajaweau
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Sacajaweau

Other states should sue anyway.

Discovery alone would be worth it.

Paging DeSantis...

10 posted on 05/04/2021 4:46:14 AM PDT by mewzilla (Those aren't masks. They're muzzles. )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: ptsal

What else would you expect from the traitorous Demonicrat kakistocracy who steal oxygen and exhale lies?

11 posted on 05/04/2021 4:46:48 AM PDT by Carl Vehse
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

quote:

U-Haul rentals tell a different story.

12 posted on 05/04/2021 4:50:39 AM PDT by Sirius Lee (They intend to murder us. Prep if you want to live and live like you are prepping for eternal life)

quote:

This article is uncalled for. We should believe everything the government tells us. Granted, sometimes they are wrong, like when there is a republican president in office, but the government gets to revise it’s figures after a new president is elected. You see, the establishment federal bureaucracy was being brutalized and oppressed by President Trump. They, the real government, knew all along what the correct census numbers were. They were saved from Trump’s tyranny when President Biden was elected and they could revise and deliver correct numbers numbers so New York and California could live free again.

13 posted on 05/04/2021 4:52:16 AM PDT by ConservativeInPA (“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” ― Thomas Jefferson)

:qq:

quote:

So are the Republicans taking it to court?
Nah.

So are McConnell and McCarthy gong on TV talking about the steal?
Nah.

So is Fox’ Chris Wallace doing interviews with Census people about the fake numbers?
Nah.

So is the RNC fighting back?
Nah.

16 posted on 05/04/2021 5:19:39 AM PDT by oldbill

Fake Votes!

quote:

To cover all those FAKE VOTES!

17 posted on 05/04/2021 5:23:07 AM PDT by Ann Archy (Abortion....... The HUMAN Sacrifice to the god of Convenience.)

quote:

something kinda fishy happened to me, and it made no sense....until now

I got the census and did it on line and submitted.
A few months later, I got one in the mail to fill out and return. I ignored it, as I had completed it already.
Then I got another one.
Then I got another one.
Then I got another one.

Then the threatening letters started.
So, I did it again.

Was this a software “glitch”, or something else?
Perhaps a way to “pad” the numbers, so certain states do not lose reps in congress?

18 posted on 05/04/2021 5:24:07 AM PDT by joe fonebone (Free Beer Tomorrow)

quote:

To: joe fonebone

“Was this a software “glitch”, or something else?”

Ha !! By now-that’s par for the course in the way the government mishandles EVERYTHING.

Either a thing doesn’t get done, or it gets done over and over involving a costly and disorganized duplication of effort and expense....or it gets done totally wrong ... OR possibly, it gets totally wrong over and over again, too!

Where government projects and government effort is concerned, any/all scenarios are likely and could be carried out either with or without an ultimately fraudulently goal!

Anyway, honest and fair outcomes are totally incidental!

23 posted on 05/04/2021 5:49:28 AM PDT by SMARTY ( "Force always attracts men of low morality. " Albert Einstein)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

quote:

They want to assure there will be NO objections to future and permanent election fraud!

22 posted on 05/04/2021 5:42:14 AM PDT by SMARTY ( "Force always attracts men of low morality. " Albert Einstein)

Waiiit a minute...

quote:

“The December revisions in population estimates under the Biden Census Bureau”

Biden was inaugurated January 22 or so. So the Census Bureau was still nominally Trump’s, though I don’t put any cheating past leftist bureaucrats.

26 posted on 05/04/2021 6:12:52 AM PDT by Uncle Miltie (GMO opponents who took the covid jab are now GMOs themselves.)

quote:

To: joe fonebone

Was it before Nov 3rd last year?

If so, maybe that is part of how the Dems cheated in the election.

27 posted on 05/04/2021 6:15:09 AM PDT by WildHighlander57 ((WildHighlander57 returning after lurking since 2000))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

quote:

They used the Dominion Census Counting Machines. Problem solved.

31 posted on 05/04/2021 7:28:47 AM PDT by doragsda

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ms Adequate posted:

Lmfao wtf is this probe

D&D is a place for effort unless you're criticizing liberal establishment

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Biden is a normal dude who went through unspeakable trauma from his 20s. He was sworn in as the one of the youngest ever Senators in the hospital room with his injured young sons (one of whom would later die of cancer) after his wife and infant daughter were killed in a car crash when he was 29. He was a product of his time who has empathy and willingness to change, which is why he's no longer the man he was in the 1970s. He went from anti-gay legislation to pushing gay marriage legalization before Obama. People are just too loving internet brain poisoned.

This post is worth a 3 day, yes. Yes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that's also an insane probe yea what the hell

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just here to check out the liberals who can't bare to be told that their lovely ideology is the direct cause of the rise of the far right that's happening as we speak. Just lol if you think being an actual liberal who believes in liberalism in 2021 isn't the most shameful poo poo outside of being an actual MAGA-hat wearing chud

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This post is worth a 3 day, yes. Yes.

lmfao that's incredible. What about that seemed like a shithead, it's literally empathizing with what Biden has been through. You can happily disagree with the assessment or think he hasn't changed nearly enough or that his personal experiences are irrelevant to [Awful thing the US/West is currently doing/supporting] but...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

lmfao that's incredible. What about that seemed like a shithead, it's literally empathizing with what Biden has been through. You can happily disagree with the assessment or think he hasn't changed nearly enough or that his personal experiences are irrelevant to [Awful thing the US/West is currently doing/supporting] but...

Yeah, he was a shithead later with the Tara Reade callout, but that post was not probe worthy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the american right also use it to describe anything that isn't them, but they also use the word communism to describe that so I wouldn't pay their use of language much mind.

Generally if someone is using the word liberal as an invective from the left it probably means someone who they perceive the overriding objective of to be supporting capitalism, including its supporting structures of things like racism, class discrimination, and probably a bunch of lovely social ideas too (as many economic liberals really only support what you might call "progressive" positions out of convenience, as evidenced by how many of them were very lovely about it before various center/left parties and corporations decided they wanted to capitalize on the hard work of LGBT activists to get themselves into power/sell poo poo. Hence the use of the term "rainbow washing" whereby something that was up until fairly recently, near universally demonized by all parts of the mainstream political spectrum has instead become commodified by capital and center/left parties as a tool, but only insofar as it benefits them, which is why you will often see the same parties shying away from more currently-radical positions like trans rights (particularly in the UK) and also anything where social progressivism would interfere with economic liberalism (maybe you should be allowed to transition but you should still have to pay for it).

Which also leads to things like the expression "liberals don't want a gay homeless kid to die because they're gay, they want them to die because they're poor" because they will rarely offer serious support to people who suffer because of the second-order effects of things like racism and anti LGBT discrimination, such as poverty. Also evident in their attitude to policing whereby they are generally extremely unwilling to consider scaling back the police (because the police exist to protect wealthy people and their stuff) despite this obviously causing a lot of problems for the people the police victimize.

A typical liberal position is to basically complain about the visibly horrific effects of capitalism but to almost always oppose any direct attack against the causes of those effects, because they are unwilling to grapple with the fact that they must have the horrors if they want the things they like about the system. This as opposed to the right which is generally more coherent about liking both the cause and the effects. But the end result is very similar, the effects still happen whether the people in power profess sadness about it or jubilation.

Hence, liberal means support for capitalism and marketization, liberals may profess or sometimes even hold other positions, but they are not a necessary component of liberalism. Only deviation from the economics will really get you shut out of power systemically, though sometimes concerted grassroots outcry has managed to make some of them stumble when they deviate sufficiently from socially progressive positions. However it is just as easily papered over if the person in question is sufficiently important, as is very helpfully demonstrated by Biden. Money and power are, as ever, the real things that matter.

This post is 1000% correct and this probe is stupid as hell.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
edit: i got really confused lol

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 4, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

is jim rob dead yet

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

On Trump's new "communications platform" (a website where he puts out press releases in a stream that kinda sorta looks like social media but without all those pesky other people)

quote:

Looking forward to seeing what President Trump has in store! I’m sure he’s been working on quite a lot behind the scenes. Now that he’s not stuck doing all the day to day work of President, he’s free to focus on his goals to Make America Great Again!

21 posted on 5/4/2021, 2:04:15 PM by 2aProtectsTheRest (The media is banging the fear drum enough. Don't help them do it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress this probation