Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

China as Merchant? Shouldnt they be builder with their big infrastructure projects and huge industrial manufacturing sector? If anything the USA should be merchant due to the US being the seat of the global financial system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I kind of just assume that USA and China are the two contemporary countries that can reasonably be close to anything so they’re being dumped into buckets that their other choices might struggle to fill. Looking at the remaining six I’m not sure who would be better for Merchant other than maybe Japan, but merchant China and Aesthete Japan makes more sense imo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Like, if this is modern China they're basing this on and not Maoist China, it makes sense. They have an export-driven economy, and the goods they produce are sold all around the world. Sounds merchanty to me.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
China's Emblematic District should be a Vocational Training Centre that disposes of problematic minorities while preventing any international consequences from doing so

Or an artificial reef

People's congress is so soviet doesn't feel china-unique

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Like, if this is modern China they're basing this on and not Maoist China, it makes sense. They have an export-driven economy, and the goods they produce are sold all around the world. Sounds merchanty to me.

Spending all the money they make as a merchant civ to rush production on a bunch of stuff also works as an approximation for all the infrastructure building China's been doing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

People's Congress with Chinese characteristics

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

AnEdgelord posted:

China as Merchant? Shouldnt they be builder with their big infrastructure projects and huge industrial manufacturing sector? If anything the USA should be merchant due to the US being the seat of the global financial system.

Hot take: the US makes the most sense as a religious civ

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The US makes sense as about eight separate countries glued together.
Almost like a bunch of different states? Only, kind of united somehow? Hmm

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Any comments on how this "changing cultures" thing feels? I cannot bring myself to trying the game out as it seems such a turnoff by the description? Doesn't it break your immersion from going from Greeks to USA or something?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SirTagz posted:

Any comments on how this "changing cultures" thing feels? I cannot bring myself to trying the game out as it seems such a turnoff by the description? Doesn't it break your immersion from going from Greeks to USA or something?

Haven’t played it but on paper it breaks my immersion less than founding the USA in 4000 BC

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

SirTagz posted:

The whole "we're Chinese, now we're Greeks, now we're Vikings, now we are Turks" is a bit odd definitely. I try to think of it is an abstraction, you're not the Greeks, but a culture that loves arguing and man on man action.still a bit weird to suddenly shift from say agrarian pyramid-builders to aggressive sea raiders. Feels like their should be some limitation on what cultures you can transmogrify to.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Deltasquid posted:

Haven’t played it but on paper it breaks my immersion less than founding the USA in 4000 BC

Or considering the US to be a civilisation at all

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

SirTagz posted:

Depends on how you think about it. I see it as a culture evolving into something similar yet distinctive, like from Phoenicians to Carthaginians. Though I must admit, I can't bring myself to switch to a geographically vastly different culture, like from Olmecs to any old world culture. The culture change does have some funny little quirks when the housing changes to match your new culture and all the Roman brickworks get torn down and replaced by Mongolian yurts.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Depends on how you think about it. I see it as a culture evolving into something similar yet distinctive, like from Phoenicians to Carthaginians. Though I must admit, I can't bring myself to switch to a geographically vastly different culture, like from Olmecs to any old world culture. The culture change does have some funny little quirks when the housing changes to match your new culture and all the Roman brickworks get torn down and replaced by Mongolian yurts.

OMG it sounds even worse than I imagined. Why, oh why.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

SirTagz posted:

OMG it sounds even worse than I imagined. Why, oh why.

Cause that's what happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SirTagz posted:

It's fine. Civ 3 had Abe Lincoln in a toga. This isn't any weirder than that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The whole "we're Chinese, now we're Greeks, now we're Vikings, now we are Turks" is a bit odd definitely. I try to think of it is an abstraction, you're not the Greeks, but a culture that loves arguing and man on man action.still a bit weird to suddenly shift from say agrarian pyramid-builders to aggressive sea raiders. Feels like their should be some limitation on what cultures you can transmogrify to.

Idk man the Normans went from sea raiders to mercenaries and Mediterranean, French and English feudal lords over the span of 1-2 generations usually.

It’s an abstraction that will definitely get less odd as more cultures get added over time.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Deltasquid posted:

Idk man the Normans went from sea raiders to mercenaries and Mediterranean, French and English feudal lords over the span of 1-2 generations usually.

It’s an abstraction that will definitely get less odd as more cultures get added over time.

Dunno buddy they seem a bit murdery and rapacious in all those examples you list

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dunno buddy they seem a bit murdery and rapacious in all those examples you list

The history of all hitherto societies etc.

Saying that, why don't you like it, if I can ask? It's kind of interesting that you can shift, though I would love to see the different art styles mesh together properly.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Going from Mycenean Greeks, to Hellenic Greeks, to Byzanitine Greeks is one thing. But to ping pong from Ancient Egyptians, to Iron Age China, to Mayans does seem odd.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Charlz Guybon posted:

Going from Mycenean Greeks, to Hellenic Greeks, to Byzanitine Greeks is one thing. But to ping pong from Ancient Egyptians, to Iron Age China, to Mayans does seem odd.

Is it any weirder than building nuclear arms in 1120 or declaring that Christianity is a blood cult based on worshiping the divine mother? So much of Civ is weird as hell when it's thought about.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Like yeah, it is a totally illogical gameplay conceit. You just have to shrug your shoulders and accept it, much in the same way you do for many other totally illogical things in other 4X games (the ancient americans, warmongering gandhi, the pitched battles between spearmen and tanks, the seafaring mongolians you can build, etc). I don't think it will take much time to get used to.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

The history of all hitherto societies etc.

Saying that, why don't you like it, if I can ask? It's kind of interesting that you can shift, though I would love to see the different art styles mesh together properly.

Its the abruptness I think. I mean old and new kingdom Egypt were very different but they didn't change overnight, and Egypt ruled by Greeks was still identifiably Egyptian. Not sure how to square a more gradual transition with game play though.

My best thought was to decouple mechanics from aesthetics - Mycenaean becomes greek becomes Byzantine aesthetically but you pick a set of bonuses for each age. Difficulty obviously being not all cultures or their descendants made it through all the ages, and where do unique units sit? Maybe you pick a broader archetype (horse nomads, sea people, agrarian/mercantile/scientific settled people) and transit through those? I like the mechanic its just hard to sit with the abrupt tonal shifts your culture goes through given the game is trying to represent the way cultures gradually (keyword) change over time.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Having earth cultures in a non earth setting makes no sense to begin with. The idea of adapting your civ over time seems fine, even if using historical skins is somewhat clunky.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Historical 4X's are always a weird mish-mash of temporal and spatial scales at varying levels of abstraction. I guess- as a few people upthread have pointed out- what really matters is how it all feels. And that's going to vary from player to player...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The only time I found it distracting was with the other players. I got used to Babylon being brown, Maya being black, Hittites being magenta, etc. But now Egypt and Persia are declaring war on me wtf? Oh right, brown and pink. And since the leaders are just random names it's hard to remember who's who. Maybe having the leader's picture next to the crest would make it easier.

Overall I didn't mind it with my own civ at all. In fact, I liked having a unique unit and district for each age plus the stacking culture bonuses. There's a lot of flexibility about how you're going to exploit your environment and your neighbours that I think will keep it interesting. You have to look around a bit first before you can even choose your first culture so you shouldn't have a situation like in civ where you choose someone with great cavalry units but there are no horses.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Is it any weirder than building nuclear arms in 1120 or declaring that Christianity is a blood cult based on worshiping the divine mother? So much of Civ is weird as hell when it's thought about.

How is christianity not a blood cult? Ive been to christian rituals where I was told I was drinking the blood of god.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HappyCamperGL posted:

Having earth cultures in a non earth setting makes no sense to begin with. The idea of adapting your civ over time seems fine, even if using historical skins is somewhat clunky.

It's not a non-earth setting, it's an alternate earth setting.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's not a non-earth setting, it's an alternate earth setting.

To-may-toe. To-mah-toe.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

webmeister posted:

Hot take: the US makes the most sense as a religious civ

India says hello, or one of Saudi Arabia/Iran

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

India says hello

Ah, British India I presume

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

All of the Endless stuff is on sale in Steam this weekend! I haven't played Endless Legend in a long time because I didn't have any of the DLC and I remember having gotten a bit bored with the basic classes--now they're 77% off so I can get a little bit of the Humankind colonization and battle feeling and I don't have to go back to Civ.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

China's Emblematic District should be a Vocational Training Centre that disposes of problematic minorities while preventing any international consequences from doing so

Or an artificial reef

That is how the Chinese government get all the information needed to enact all their policies. It's integral to China's current hegemony is from all the data they collect from their citizens that turns it to the ruthless economic monster it is today

And new contemporary culture is out and it's Egypt and it's Aesthetic with their film industry being their claim to fame

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

gyrobot posted:

That is how the Chinese government get all the information needed to enact all their policies. It's integral to China's current hegemony is from all the data they collect from their citizens that turns it to the ruthless economic monster it is today

And new contemporary culture is out and it's Egypt and it's Aesthetic with their film industry being their claim to fame

Hollywood and Bollywood were passed up for this?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Hollywood should be a negative trait

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just recently played this build, I missed the last one (I admit I was interested in the project but also stuck it on the backburner due to the dearth of information available regarding it early on). I really like the "build your own Civ over time" aspect of the game, collecting traits and combining them seems like it can create some interesting/powerful combos. I think I disagree with the sentiment that this makes every game the same, you can certainly make the same choices but I think the real interesting potential will be in combining different traits for different outcomes. In one game I chose the Franks for Medieval, and that +50% Food bonus is huge. In the next era I transitioned to the agrarian Haudenosaunee and I was able to hit the "give every city a pop per territory" button every turn. Almost good enough to overlook just how much science Joseon can give you, especially if you picked a culture with a unique harbor earlier and can "double up" on harbors in some territories. I do wonder if the city cap is a big harsh early on though, it makes early game conquest rather unappealing, unless I am missing something.

I bounced pretty hard off Endless Legend and I do have some of the same issues there that I have here (what do you mean I can't sprawl my city the way I want because of some arbitrary 'territory' border, and why do adjacency bonuses not count between two of my own cities), but at least I don't have to design or equip units or worry about leveling up heroes. Adding that many RPG elements to a 4X game just always felt like a bit much to me, the promotion system from Civ 4 was honestly the best implementation I've seen of it (earn XP, upgrade units). I also think the war system needs work. Currently I can go on the offensive, capture all of the enemy's territory, but then at the end of the war I go to the wrap-up and I may end up not being able to keep their cities (is there a way to raze cities?). Conversely I can get involved in two simultaneous defensive wars, grind down their units for a dozen turns or so and then vassalize both attackers. It feels very strange to me.

Game still needs a lot of polish though, lots of misleading or weird tooltips, like why do Franks give "+50% food on city and outpost" while Mexicans give "+20% food on all cities"? Also some bugs, hope they get that nailed down before release. Or else maybe we should expect yet another delay.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hollywood and Bollywood were passed up for this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Egypt

Largest in it's region in terms of production. There is actually a bit of information talking about the success of Egyptian cinema.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/50/1209/366778/AlAhram-Weekly/Focus/The-golden-age-of--Egyptian-cinema-.aspx

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 12, 2021

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

gyrobot posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1392147588602810368

But their video says their emblematic district's the archaeological dig…

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1392147588602810368

But their video says their emblematic district's the archaeological dig…

The splash image before they show the unit and building is of a movie set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Good, Egypt isn't even the best movie maker in Africa, that should be the Nigerian culture's thing.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-r8p2auoWs