Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I suppose that might seem like the case for people know that the vehicle based big shoota had to be deleted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

gorkamorka was a genuinely great game with some very nice models and janky rules

Fixed that for you. The game was over the top ridiculous bullshit fun. You WOULD have your dice gently caress you, or have your Boyz ran over but dammit if it wasn't always funny. Such a good beer and pretzel game
It had the randomness of like Bloodbowl but both the game, and other players, didn't seem to kick you while you were down as much

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Fixed that for you.

Don't post like that, it's annoying.

Everything about that game that should have been fast took forever to play through, and all of the interesting parts happened between matches. I feel like if you're going to have a Mad Max game, you really want to make sure the vehicle rules work and don't involve four (or sometimes more!) layers of dicerolling every time you shoot at one, and that the rules for going fast are actually quick to resolve.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would rather play Gorkamorka than 40k any day of the week. Maybe not the best balanced game, but so much fun if you had the correct mindset for it.

Always funny how survivable getting hit by a trukk was.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

I absolutely stopped buying models in 8th because every army was just an astronomical undertaking. Once I had my Bretonnians and Tomb Kings at a decent place, I was done until 9th hopefully reduced unit sizes.

On the plus side, some of those bretonnians are now worth like £100 a model so I'm gonna cash the hell in before Old World releases

Oof Buddy, I thought I had it bad with just collecting Brets. I sold all mine in a rage eons ago though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Meanwhile, you can get excellent prints of newly made 10mm chaos dwarfs here: https://www.excellentminiatures.com...os-dwarves/?p=1

so someone already came and ate his lunch while he was farting around

Loving the warmaster sculpts here, might have to buy some. I just finished buying, but not painting, Epic Armageddon Vostroyans and Orks, so I need a new thing to throw money at.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have like ten thousand plus points of tomb kings rotting away on my shelf. Someday maybe I'll play some kings of war with them, but I invested in magnetic trays that were the right size for 8th edition fights but aren't the right size for Kings of War, and that really irritates me too.

I bought into 8th edition by starting with a purchase of someone else's large, 3/4 unpainted 7th edition Tomb Kings army. I figured as the first 8th edition army book to be printed, the faction would surely get lots of support and be great! Also I really loved the story and aesthetic of them.

They lost every battle I ever played with them, IIRC, because they sucked rear end on the table, in part becuase I didn't know how to play well, part because I didn't necessarily have the right models, but mostly because I played players who had one of the good army books. The game was wildly unbalanced.

GW persisted in not supporting with new models or army books any army that was selling poorly, which was self-defeating for that army as the lack of support inevitably reduced sales for it. 8th edition had serious rules problems (like all GW games of that era lol), was too random especially in the magic phase (again, too much randomness being a recurring problem with GW rulesets), and with different writers writing each army book, the wild imbalance could shift with any new release. But the way it randomly seemed to favor some armies over others just came off as so capricious as to be malicious. The same time as they were slashing staff to run one-man stores, eliminating support for playing WHFB in stores or at their own conventions, killing their online forums, and otherwise just being a terrible company, they were just randomly loving over long-time players over and over again, and tons of us just... hit a limit. For me the limit was The End Times, in which they weren't satisfying with just deciding to not do Tomb Kings any more and maybe apologizing and explaining it as a necessary business decision, they had to actually have the Tomb King's eternal enemy Nagash win and destroy the faction. Supposedly we tomb kings players were supposed to play Undead/Vampires afterward, like, happily play as the faction that destroyed our faction.

No apology, no admission of fault, just "haha isn't this awesome?" It's real, real hard to think of ever supporting that company again, after that.

Despite all of its flaws, I really enjoyed playing 8th edition. And despite rumors and posts that GW is doing sooo much better now, I'll never buy in heavy into any GW product again. I'm happy to keep playing Epic Armageddon (although it's been 1.5 years+ of course), I'll try and play some Kings of War if I can find a friendly opponent, but I've got zero interest in Sigmar as a game or as a setting, and that's not going to change, so, welp.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

8th also introduced random elements into places they had absolutely no place being, such as the daemon army book.

"I'd love to gamble 150 points for a chance to roll the gift I want." - absolutely nobody

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Virtual Russian posted:

Oof Buddy, I thought I had it bad with just collecting Brets. I sold all mine in a rage eons ago though.

Honestly in retrospect I kinda prefer it this way. I was angry at the time (and the following 4 years) but they exist as a relic of time rather than a bastardized version of themselves. I sold the Tomb Kings in a huff but Brets were always my faves.

I have recently taken baby steps back into AoS though as Gloomspite is the thing I liked most about Orcs and Goblins condensed into its own faction, and Nighthaunt are just cool. I dont really play that much anymore though so Its a more about the journey for me now

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I have like ten thousand plus points of tomb kings rotting away on my shelf. Someday maybe I'll play some kings of war with them, but I invested in magnetic trays that were the right size for 8th edition fights but aren't the right size for Kings of War, and that really irritates me too.

I bought into 8th edition by starting with a purchase of someone else's large, 3/4 unpainted 7th edition Tomb Kings army. I figured as the first 8th edition army book to be printed, the faction would surely get lots of support and be great! Also I really loved the story and aesthetic of them.

They lost every battle I ever played with them, IIRC, because they sucked rear end on the table, in part becuase I didn't know how to play well, part because I didn't necessarily have the right models, but mostly because I played players who had one of the good army books. The game was wildly unbalanced.

GW persisted in not supporting with new models or army books any army that was selling poorly, which was self-defeating for that army as the lack of support inevitably reduced sales for it. 8th edition had serious rules problems (like all GW games of that era lol), was too random especially in the magic phase (again, too much randomness being a recurring problem with GW rulesets), and with different writers writing each army book, the wild imbalance could shift with any new release. But the way it randomly seemed to favor some armies over others just came off as so capricious as to be malicious. The same time as they were slashing staff to run one-man stores, eliminating support for playing WHFB in stores or at their own conventions, killing their online forums, and otherwise just being a terrible company, they were just randomly loving over long-time players over and over again, and tons of us just... hit a limit. For me the limit was The End Times, in which they weren't satisfying with just deciding to not do Tomb Kings any more and maybe apologizing and explaining it as a necessary business decision, they had to actually have the Tomb King's eternal enemy Nagash win and destroy the faction. Supposedly we tomb kings players were supposed to play Undead/Vampires afterward, like, happily play as the faction that destroyed our faction.

No apology, no admission of fault, just "haha isn't this awesome?" It's real, real hard to think of ever supporting that company again, after that.

Despite all of its flaws, I really enjoyed playing 8th edition. And despite rumors and posts that GW is doing sooo much better now, I'll never buy in heavy into any GW product again. I'm happy to keep playing Epic Armageddon (although it's been 1.5 years+ of course), I'll try and play some Kings of War if I can find a friendly opponent, but I've got zero interest in Sigmar as a game or as a setting, and that's not going to change, so, welp.

Yeah that era really put me off GW as well. I've just got back into epic, but definitely won't be getting back into their main games.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Where are you located? Happy to point you in the right direction for some KoW.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MCPeePants posted:

Where are you located? Happy to point you in the right direction for some KoW.

Concord, California. I'm sure I could get a pick up game over at Black Diamond Games, or on Facebook or something. I rarely feel like I have the time to go out on a weeknight to hang out at the game store around dinner time to play a nerd game with strangers, though. I have a goon friend who would play with me, maybe soonish now we're all vaccinated, we shall see.

I also bought into the kickstarter for Vanguard, although it's all still in the box it arrived in. Might give that a go.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I would rather play Gorkamorka than 40k any day of the week. Maybe not the best balanced game, but so much fun if you had the correct mindset for it.

Always funny how survivable getting hit by a trukk was.

For some reason the randomness in Gorkamorka never bothered me the same way it bothered me in say Blood Bowl or Necromunda

Maybe it was because thematically the setting was pretty loving weird and wacky, and I read through the lore thoroughly before playing my first game. So the randomness felt appropriate?

I've convinced a mate to have a go at doing a campaign when covid restrictions die down, we'll see how the game holds up

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Bay area gooney bird with a stupidly huge collection

Wood Elves, and Goblins. Stopped trying to gear up to the GW rules meta since 8th and am so glad I did. Based for WHFB.
Lord of the Rings. This system and models are good. Been playing it since 2001.
Man O War. Rules lousy, models pretty.
Epic. So much Chaos from all editions. I dig the teeny models. Big map Ogre/GEV is fun with Epic models and an Ogrethulhu Mk V.
Warmaster. Teeny models again. Picked up all the esoteric Empire and Daemon models. And a metric ton of Khemri.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Moola posted:

For some reason the randomness in Gorkamorka never bothered me the same way it bothered me in say Blood Bowl or Necromunda

Maybe it was because thematically the setting was pretty loving weird and wacky, and I read through the lore thoroughly before playing my first game. So the randomness felt appropriate?

I've convinced a mate to have a go at doing a campaign when covid restrictions die down, we'll see how the game holds up

It's got to be the themes and aesthetics because objectively it's a very undercooked system. However, I just find everything about it a joy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Moola posted:

I just wish the random wackiness could be packed into a game that isn't a huge undertaking to play and organize. Like Blood Bowl, the wackiness is at a disjoint with how long a match takes and how much screwing around you needed to do to actually play a match.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Richard Halliwell, cocreator of Warhammer and Space Hulk died this weekend. I hadn't heard his name before, but he's had a disproportionate impact on the hobby I love. Rest in peace man. Let's all spend 2CP to pour one out for him.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

Loving the warmaster sculpts here, might have to buy some. I just finished buying, but not painting, Epic Armageddon Vostroyans and Orks, so I need a new thing to throw money at.

Excellent Miniatures has the widest selection of new Warmaster stuff by far. I've ordered from them a couple of times. The quality is great, but they are slow to make the order and then shipping from Germany will take an age and a half.
Printing in Detail has a much smaller selection but the quality is the best and they'll hop on your order ASAP. Shipping is faster than Excellent Miniatures despite being in the UK.

If you're in the US, Warp Rider Games has some of the new warmaster stuff for sale
https://warpridergames.ecwid.com/Forest-Dragon-c59379383
https://warpridergames.ecwid.com/Cromarty-Forge-c74917204

however, they aren't good at keeping up with new releases and its frustrating. I would prefer to shop with them!

If you want super-quality prints, almost all the new Warmaster stuff is printed only in Europe :/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Excellent Miniatures has the widest selection of new Warmaster stuff by far. I've ordered from them a couple of times. The quality is great, but they are slow to make the order and then shipping from Germany will take an age and a half.
Printing in Detail has a much smaller selection but the quality is the best and they'll hop on your order ASAP. Shipping is faster than Excellent Miniatures despite being in the UK.

If you're in the US, Warp Rider Games has some of the new warmaster stuff for sale
https://warpridergames.ecwid.com/Forest-Dragon-c59379383
https://warpridergames.ecwid.com/Cromarty-Forge-c74917204

however, they aren't good at keeping up with new releases and its frustrating. I would prefer to shop with them!

If you want super-quality prints, almost all the new Warmaster stuff is printed only in Europe :/

They also sell STLs for Forest Dragon and Cromarty Forge if you have access to a 3D printer.

https://gumroad.com/forestdragon
https://gumroad.com/cromartyforge?sort=newest

Between the two, you can print up Wood Elves, Brettonians, Undead, Dwarves, Lizardmen, and Skaven! And I'm in the process of printing a free Empire army off of Thingiverse, but having lots of issues in the process.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 5, 2021

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Atlas Hugged posted:

Richard Halliwell, cocreator of Warhammer and Space Hulk died this weekend. I hadn't heard his name before, but he's had a disproportionate impact on the hobby I love. Rest in peace man. Let's all spend 2CP to pour one out for him.

RIP

Then little I read about him made it sound like he had an interesting, and sometimes tragic life.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Bay area gooney bird with a stupidly huge collection

Wood Elves, and Goblins. Stopped trying to gear up to the GW rules meta since 8th and am so glad I did. Based for WHFB.
Lord of the Rings. This system and models are good. Been playing it since 2001.
Man O War. Rules lousy, models pretty.
Epic. So much Chaos from all editions. I dig the teeny models. Big map Ogre/GEV is fun with Epic models and an Ogrethulhu Mk V.
Warmaster. Teeny models again. Picked up all the esoteric Empire and Daemon models. And a metric ton of Khemri.

I'd be into trying Warmaster if you'd loan me some khemri for a few hours, hmm.
My epic eldar have been gathering dust for a long time now, too!

I forget if you've got/learned the Kings of War rules? Maybe we could have a KoW Movement Tray Construction Party in my garage, I've got all the tools and materials to do that, and then follow up with a KoW match in a later month or something. That'd be sweet.

Or hell I'd still play warhams 8th edition too if you're into it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If you think about it, WHFB has all the hallmarks of a GW specialty game now.

- people are nostalgic for it
- mostly impractical to actually play by modern standards
- cancelled

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Someone mentioned seeing Dreadfane on clearance at B&N. Before I go check, I wanted to see what the difference (if any) there is between this:

and the B&N package:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Imagined posted:

Someone mentioned seeing Dreadfane on clearance at B&N. Before I go check, I wanted to see what the difference (if any) there is between this:

and the B&N package:

Yes. The B&N version has more stuff. It’s basically a full game with a board, dice, and rules. The other one is just the two warbands and their cards.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Segmentum San Francisco gamer with some Kill Teams and Epic 40k Orks checking in.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Does the boards really differ that much for UW? Like does one benefit a certain playstyle more than another or is it just taste?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MRLOLAST posted:

Does the boards really differ that much for UW? Like does one benefit a certain playstyle more than another or is it just taste?

Like the playmats? Not that I think. You need at least four.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

MRLOLAST posted:

If UW means Underworlds, yes they matter a lot. They have different starting positions, blocked hexes and lethal hexes. Ghost teams that can ignore the blocked and lethal ones can benefit a lot from them.
Being able to set up 1-2 hexes closer or further from the enemy fighters also matters a lot. Setting up behind blocked positions especially in defensive objective play can be game changing. Using certain types of boards in certain placements can create chokepoints that are easy to block off and so on.
Currently in competitive play you can't use the same board twice in your bo3, and we have some banned boards because they had some extremely beneficial starting hexes (and some of them were sort of limited availability).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

i think so. the location of the starting spots are the most impactful and the four boards my friends and i use are fairly different. the way the boards are set up at the start of the game can make a huge difference, and the board layout is a part of that

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I am just dabbling and got direchasm and have just played a few games with my wife . Will try and play at my lgs after o have been vaccinated. Wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for- the inner intricacies of the game and so on :)

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Do we expect anything for Titanicus for today's Warhammer Fest "boxed games" preview? Considering AT has just had the Warmaster titan released and the volkite weapons kits announced, how likely is it that there's anything else coming soon? I don't really have a grasp of how often the various game lines are updated.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Do we expect anything for Titanicus for today's Warhammer Fest "boxed games" preview? Considering AT has just had the Warmaster titan released and the volkite weapons kits announced, how likely is it that there's anything else coming soon? I don't really have a grasp of how often the various game lines are updated.
I'm guessing the traitor legions book, maybe some transfers or hideously overpriced upgrade sprues.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Space hulk is all I want

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agreed on Traitor Legions for AT.

Predictions:

Cursed City reprint talk and an expansion preview.

A new AI race, chaos maybe

B&N style boxed games to recycle assets. (Space Marine Heroes 3 with the Death Guard)

Necromunda House of Faith(?) and Redemptionist coverage

Wild guess Mario Kart knockoff Gorkamorka (for phones!)

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I’d be surprised if they didn’t show the next race they’re bringing out for Blood Bowl

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The IDK warband for Underworlds is also a pretty safe bet

I am very curious if there's gonna be any explanation of the Cursed City thing

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Did they mention anything about cursed city when they showed off the models that were obviously intended to be expansions during the AoS stream?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Baumann posted:

Did they mention anything about cursed city when they showed off the models that were obviously intended to be expansions during the AoS stream?

They said the words "Cursed City" but not more than that, if I remember correctly

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Surprise here's Radukar, The Cursed City was merely a setback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

guessing we will see the Bonereaper warband for Underworlds today