Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ben-K strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Ben double team action hell yeah

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yoooo that finish was sick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And now it's time for the real star of Dragon Gate, Konomama Ichikawa, the weakest wrestler in the world

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh god, it turned into a New Japan show.

Oh wait, that's just a mute because of copyright.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Going to say that after him being back in the company for 2 years nearly, you'd think they'd just cough up for the rights to Seperados

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That seems like a slightly unwieldy voucher to take to a restaurant every time you want free Korean BBQ

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That was 3, ref held up the count, Ichikawa got screwed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"Stalker decided to challenge Nagata to be in the Reckless Run series during the Dragon Gate pay-per-view show on July 1 at the Kobe World Hall in Hyogo. Nagata initially refused, but then Stalker tricked him into signing a contract for the match during a New Japan autograph session on June 8. Nagata would defeat Stalker in just over five minutes with a left middle kick."

Love to be reminded why Stalker Ichikawa is the best

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
DG likes masks, huh?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Keisuke Okuda seems to be friends with everyone. Rappers, Ben-K, kickboxers, MMA fighters. How does he get on with WWE Performance Centre Property Hideki Suzuki I wonder.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

DG likes masks, huh?

Yeah, it's very explicitly lucha influenced. The first group of Ultimo Dragon trainees went to Mexico, & they mostly went on to found Dragon Gate. So there's a lot of masks, & a lot of dives to the outside, & U-T is a practioner of llave, a technical submission based style of lucha.

Plus it means you get to do mask vs mask & mask vs hair matches & they rule

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That was a sick match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was kinda in and out during the match but that finishing stretch loving rocked.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dang I was convinced U-T would get the big singles win on some of those falls.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yoshino looking good in Eita cosplay

And nice of Doi to borrow the dreaded box

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eita is going to be a great babyface some day.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And babyface Takashi Yoshida is a trillion times more interesting than heel Yoshida if just because he's always been a heel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Masaaki Mochizuki is about 20 years younger looking than Shinjiro Otani

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Teasing Mochizuki is not a wise choice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And this is the match I'm all in for. My boys Masquerade vs my boys Natural Vibes!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So the camera missed his dope running along the rope dropkick & fully caught his messed up Sasuke Special. Poor La Estrella :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A little below my expectations, La Estrella finally reminded me how green he is with a couple minor slipups but I still really enjoyed that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well, that's a real loving bummer. Fairly innocuous bump & seems like Kikuta hosed up something in his shoulder.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/alljapan_pw/status/1389458768480677892

All Japan have confirmed the card for their big Champions Night at Ota Ward Gym on the 15th, with 5 belts on the line

NEXTREAM & Akira vs Stronghearts, Jumbo Memorial old man tag, Doi & Arashi vs Honda & Ashino, Evolution challenging Purple Haze for the All Asia Tag belts, 6 Man Tag belts on the line with Black Mensore, Carbell Ito & Takao Omori vs TOTAL ECLIPSE, Twin Towers challenging Kento & Yuma for the AJPW Tag Titles, CIMA vs Iwamoto for the Junior belt, & of course Jake Lee challenging Suwama.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that's a real loving bummer. Fairly innocuous bump & seems like Kikuta hosed up something in his shoulder.

What happened, another cursed Skywalker Dream Gate match?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

What happened, another cursed Skywalker Dream Gate match?

About 1 minute into the match, Kikuta goes into the ropes, Shun does a drop toe hold, Kikuta immediately rolls out of the ring holding his shoulder. Somehow he landed super awkwardly on drop toe hold bump. So yeah, basically, the curse is real.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Japanese government plan to extend the State Of Emergency. May mean more no-crowd shows.

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1389725743609905152

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Been loving the DG show, everything is so snappy and quick. Shame about the Dream Gate title match though, but it's time for the utterly-convoluted main event!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I so love the absolutely absurd interference like the horn & the loving rubber band. Rules. Just a beautiful mess of a match

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ok I love this with all my heart and soul

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SBK needs to keep his hair like that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The work was great but of all the big Japanese promotions, Dragon Gate is the one worst served by the sort of hermetic atmosphere clap crowds generate. Obviously this isn't a deal breaker, just look at Final Gate, but it can really put a damper on moments when the classic Dragon Gate crowd noise just isn't there for stuff that should be molten.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

By my calculation I have watched 127 shows in the 125 days of 2021 so far. And still have a heavy backlog. At some point this pandemic is going to end & I'm going to have a lot less time to sit around in my underpants watching Japanese wrestling & that's going to mean some tough choices about what companies I follow. Probably I could just focus on the big shows of everyone & keep up with Dragon Gate's smaller shows but drat this'll be tough.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Some thoughts on Dead or Alive 2021:

Funky Jacky Kamei vs Yosuke♡Santa Maria
I think this was a dark/unstreamed match? I came in around 5 mins late and they were doing the entrances for the next match already

Ben-K, Bokutimo Dragon & Ho Ho Lun vs RED (Diamante, Dia Inferno & HYO)
I really liked this more than I thought I would. It shows me that DG cares about trios/multimans. Unreal flash finish that I did not expect. I'm a fan of Bokutimo Dragon or whoever he is now.

Don Fujii & Ultimo Dragon vs Konomama Ichikawa & Mondai Ryu
A little bit marred by our favorite wrestling theme, "Audio muted due to copyright reasons", but kind of good. The Ichikawa guy is delightfully weird and the team of Fujii/Ultimo Dragon did not disappoint.

Open The Brave Gate Title: Keisuke Okuda(c) vs U-T
I really liked this. I watched the DoA 2019 match hours before and it had U-T in it too. He seems to have gotten better with more babyface fire. I think at this point Ho Ho Lun joins the English commentary team. They have this "two fans marking out" vibe with Jae (?) filling the viewers up on the storylines. Anyway, Okuda likes kicks so I'm an instant fan.

BxB Hulk, Eita, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs Kagetora, Kota Minoura, Ryo Saito & Yasushi Kanda
Weird multiman but everyone worked their butts off. From what I understand, RED and Doi/Yoshino were forced to work together but RED betrays their team because they're jerks? This is to fan the flames of their feud I guess. Dunno about the other team though.

Open The Twin Gate Titles: Masaaki Mochizuki & Takashi Yoshida(c) vs RED (KAZMA SAKAMOTO & Kaito Ishida)
Olds vs upstarts. Yoshida is Mochizuki's protege, but he looks just as old as the guy. I liked the spot of Ishida taunting Mochizuki with kicks who then takes him to school afterwards. Dirty finish but I liked it because it didn't make the ref look incompetent. I hate ref bumps.

Open The Triangle Gate Titles: Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, Kzy & Susumu Yokosuka)(c) vs Masquerade (Dragon Dia, Jason Lee & La Estrella)
This is some good poo poo. Natural Vibes is a dancing faction? Now I have seen everything. I have my eyes on Dragon Dia now.

Open The Dream Gate Title: Shun Skywalker(c) vs HipHop Kikuta
Tragic. I was distracted for a bit then when I looked up Kikuta was on the floor injured with his faction attending to him. Let's move on.

Mascara contra Cabellera Steel Cage Survival: Dragon Kid & SB KENTo vs KAI & YAMATO (3 flags atop the cage, first team to pull 2 flags wins, the losers immediately face each other in a singles with the mask/hair stip)
Glorious. SB KENTo comes out as Jagi from Fist of the North Star. This match had some big brain game theory nonsense in it. I loved the elastic band spot. I feel like in any other promotion I would hate this kind of match, but DG does it extremely well. Also wait what Dragon Kid is in his 40s, wtf

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 6, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Some thoughts on Dead or Alive 2021:

Funky Jacky Kamei vs Yosuke♡Santa Maria
I think this was a dark/unstreamed match? I came in around 5 mins late and they were doing the entrances for the next match already

Open The Brave Gate Title: Keisuke Okuda(c) vs U-T
I really liked this. I watched the DoA 2019 match hours before and it had U-T in it too. He seems to have gotten better with more babyface fire. I think at this point Ho Ho Lun joins the English commentary team. They have this "two fans marking out" vibe with Jae (?) filling the viewers up on the storylines. Anyway, Okuda likes kicks so I'm an instant fan.

BxB Hulk, Eita, Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi vs Kagetora, Kota Minoura, Ryo Saito & Yasushi Kanda
Weird multiman but everyone worked their butts off. From what I understand, RED and Doi/Yoshino were forced to work together but RED betrays their team because they're jerks? This is to fan the flames of their feud I guess. Dunno about the other team though.

Couple of notes

1) yeah, turns out Maria vs Kamei was an actual dark match.
2) Jae is probably the single most knowledgeable English speaking DG fan, in fact of the entire Dragon System. He used to run the I Heart DG site which was an incredibly valuable resource for non Japanese speaking fans, and now he gets to do commentary for them. It's a cool story and is really only happening because the pandemic meant no Lenny Leonard or Larry Dallas. Ho Ho is deffo there as more of an outsider which is interesting.
3) The deal is Yoshino is retiring at Kobe World Hall this summer and he wants a chance to work with people he doesn't get to. RED guys agreed but only if DoiYoshi came out in red gear. And then as you say, after a lot of fun stuff they turned on them because RED are jerks.

One thing I really value about Dragon Gate is the base level of matches is so high and just about any show will have at least one 3½ star or better match. At a time when New Japan undercards are very mediocre it really stands out.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I would like to see a Big Ben reunion go after the Twin Gate.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Couple of notes

1) yeah, turns out Maria vs Kamei was an actual dark match.
2) Jae is probably the single most knowledgeable English speaking DG fan, in fact of the entire Dragon System. He used to run the I Heart DG site which was an incredibly valuable resource for non Japanese speaking fans, and now he gets to do commentary for them. It's a cool story and is really only happening because the pandemic meant no Lenny Leonard or Larry Dallas. Ho Ho is deffo there as more of an outsider which is interesting.
3) The deal is Yoshino is retiring at Kobe World Hall this summer and he wants a chance to work with people he doesn't get to. RED guys agreed but only if DoiYoshi came out in red gear. And then as you say, after a lot of fun stuff they turned on them because RED are jerks.

One thing I really value about Dragon Gate is the base level of matches is so high and just about any show will have at least one 3½ star or better match. At a time when New Japan undercards are very mediocre it really stands out.

RED has... a whole lot of people don't they. I kind of like them because they're jerks, but still with some restraint (unlike, say, Bullet Club).

The little red armbands that Doi and Yoshino wore were cute. I sort of figured out the deal when commentary kept raising alarm whenever RED would set up spots.

Speaking of, I forgot about this one
https://twitter.com/DragonsnZombies/status/1389907987700060162

I really enjoyed my time! I will stick around, gotta add a balance of high-flying dudes to my big beef wrestling diet.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

BxB Hulk rules and he's still Shingo's best opponent.

In regards to Kikuta

https://twitter.com/dg_jae/status/1389899743539593219

Hopefully this means he's healthy for King of Gate and can put on some performances to try and make up for the Dream Gate match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Genuinely sad to have missed the Suzu vs Jun Kasai death match.