Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I'm actually straight up in therapy for this very thing. I try to cope by forcing myself to be more productive and get things done with my work and around the house but I'm still prone to panic attacks and waves of overwhelming dread.

I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you heal soon.

Does it comfort you at all to know that Biden is president and that Congress is in Dems' hands? Are you feeling better now that Trump is out of office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

azflyboy posted:

For anyone wondering if the Arizona "election audit" was going to get stupider, worry no longer!

The Arizona GOP is now testing the ballots for bamboo, since that obviously means the ballots had to come from China, and therefore the 2020 election was rigged.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/05/arizona-republican-audit-bamboo-ballots-china.html

I think their racist conspiracies may be wrong, since geography indicates that they need to test for plantains and beans, since obviously the fake AZ ballots came from Zombie Hugo Chavez, and not China.

:staredog:

I...what?

Like...I don't even know...I...huh? :psyboom:

I think I may have just had a stroke. Holy poo poo that is beyond stupid.

I legitimately don't know whether to be outraged at the sheer racism of that idiotic thought, weep at the stupidity that one of this country's major parties has fallen to, or laugh my rear end off.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 6, 2021

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jenner and Cox's strategy of making the recall 100% a referendum on COVID measures, lockdowns, and hypocrisy has a big chance to backfire if we get into November and the lockdowns are lifted, most people are vaccinated, and the economy is opened back up.

It seems very likely that there will be some degree of normalcy in 7 months, so I wonder if they have a backup plan.

Cox has the bear at least.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Has there been any attempts to address the fact that man of the perpetrators of recent anti-Asian violence have been ethnic minorities themselves? I do not see it mentioned anywhere, particularly in liberal and leftist spaces. I was even probated in an earlier version of this thread for even suggesting it. Many of the attacks against Asian-Americans committed in the last seven days were committed by demonstrably non-white assailants. I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here other than the fact that this feels like a form of outright "erasure" as people often put it.

I am particularly frustrated by online discourse which seems fixated on the idea that this is attributable to Trump, and, or white supremacy. White supremacist violence is quite deadly and is of a more institutionalized form but none of that addresses the fact that all of the discourse I've seen around the internet is totally inadequate when it comes to addressing anti-Asian violence in the U.S.

This is all to say nothing of the fact that the idea that all racist violence is inherently rooted in white supremacy is ridiculous and can only be rooted in historical ignorance, yet I see this asserted again and again. I often see it suggested that racism and violence between distinct "non-white" ethnic groups in the U.S. can only be explained through the prism of white supremacy, as if non-whites are inherently incapable of racism against one another without it being inculcated by white supremacist ideology. I myself am of Asian-origin and I am beyond frustrated with the total disinterest in addressing this notion. Also I fully expect to be pilloried and probated for even raising this notion. Be well, stay safe.

As far as I know a huge portion of it is just a matter of access. Chinese and black communities are often right next to each other in dense urban zones like San Francisco and New York, and all the racist white people who might otherwise commit these sorts of attacks are out in their white-flight-villes.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1389275399427956740?s=20

Why is this man always correct?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

The OP didn't describe the link, so for anybody curious it's an op-ed by an RT show host.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here [...]

This is all to say nothing of the fact that the idea that all racist violence is inherently rooted in white supremacy is ridiculous and can only be rooted in historical ignorance.

If you expect to be pilloried for this stuff, why post it? There’s an increase in violence against asians because dumb people associate covid with China and are now starting to hear organized drumbeats of anti-China sentiment and respond to that.

Racist violence in the United States is rooted in white supremacy because the entire construction of race in the United States flows from the establishment of a white race as a means of dividing the people against themselves no matter what race the system of white supremacy categorizes them as.

What are you trying to say? Where do you think racist violence against asians comes from? If you don’t want to get laughed at, you have to provide an alternative explanation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Has there been any attempts to address the fact that man of the perpetrators of recent anti-Asian violence have been ethnic minorities themselves? I do not see it mentioned anywhere, particularly in liberal and leftist spaces. I was even probated in an earlier version of this thread for even suggesting it. Many of the attacks against Asian-Americans committed in the last seven days were committed by demonstrably non-white assailants. I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here other than the fact that this feels like a form of outright "erasure" as people often put it.

I am particularly frustrated by online discourse which seems fixated on the idea that this is attributable to Trump, and, or white supremacy. White supremacist violence is quite deadly and is of a more institutionalized form but none of that addresses the fact that all of the discourse I've seen around the internet is totally inadequate when it comes to addressing anti-Asian violence in the U.S.

This is all to say nothing of the fact that the idea that all racist violence is inherently rooted in white supremacy is ridiculous and can only be rooted in historical ignorance, yet I see this asserted again and again. I often see it suggested that racism and violence between distinct "non-white" ethnic groups in the U.S. can only be explained through the prism of white supremacy, as if non-whites are inherently incapable of racism against one another without it being inculcated by white supremacist ideology. I myself am of Asian-origin and I am beyond frustrated with the total disinterest in addressing this notion. Also I fully expect to be pilloried and probated for even raising this notion. Be well, stay safe.

maybe, just maybe, the systemic racism that pervades every part of the super structure of america has some role in fomenting racial tensions between minority groups

i know my family's history, and i know that white supremacy has done more to threaten our lives and livelihoods than whatever mealy mouthed whataboutism you're trying to push

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Looking forward to seeing what your rereg name is to evade your forum ban

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That post would get a much kinder reaction if the op gave us an alternative theory instead of just saying that it matters that one time it was a black guy or some hispanic kids or whatever. The absence leads readers to try filling in the blank, which just makes it seem like they’re afraid to say what they really think.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How are u posted:

The OP didn't describe the link, so for anybody curious it's an op-ed by an RT show host.

You left out the rest of his bio, including his Pulitzer:

quote:

Chris Hedges is a Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist who was a foreign correspondent for fifteen years for The New York Times, where he served as the Middle East Bureau Chief and Balkan Bureau Chief for the paper. He previously worked overseas for The Dallas Morning News, The Christian Science Monitor, and NPR. He is the host of the Emmy Award-nominated RT America show On Contact.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Willa Rogers posted:

You left out the rest of his bio, including his Pulitzer:

I did indeed. I just included what I thought was the most pertinent info, to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just saw a video from earlier today where Kevin McCarthy described the Facebook Trump decision as "an attempted act of cancellation."

For some reason, the attempt to describe getting suspended from Facebook in the language of a criminal assault is hilarious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s always drones

i assume its either that or weird experimental air craft.

The Arizona audit is only 9% done and they have to clear out by May 14th because the auditorium is booked for high school graduation ceremonies.

They might not finish and the volunteers are getting bored, so over half the audit stations are unmanned. It's hilarious that this is so comically inept, but terrifying that this group of people holds one of the two political parties in their grasp.

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1390054275624046594

i think alot of these clowns legit thought they would find some insane sideshow bob levels of voter fraud with loving pet cemetery names with biden and marx cackling over fake ballots. turns out none of that happened and the job is boring as math homework but way more complex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the biggest barriers to participation in politics isn't structural or nefarious it's just that its so boring and takes so long to do anything. You ever watch like a full city council meeting when they aren’t doing some headline news poo poo? Or like a budget workgroup? Good god.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

How are u posted:

I did indeed. I just included what I thought was the most pertinent info, to me.

Also his blog has a column from this year titled "Cancel Culture, Where Liberalism Goes to Die"

I've never heard of him but I guess that probably sums it up.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If you expect to be pilloried for this stuff, why post it? There’s an increase in violence against asians because dumb people associate covid with China and are now starting to hear organized drumbeats of anti-China sentiment and respond to that.

Racist violence in the United States is rooted in white supremacy because the entire construction of race in the United States flows from the establishment of a white race as a means of dividing the people against themselves no matter what race the system of white supremacy categorizes them as.

What are you trying to say? Where do you think racist violence against asians comes from? If you don’t want to get laughed at, you have to provide an alternative explanation.
I'm posting it because when people are totally recalcitrant when it comes to clarifying the "nuances" of these particular killing and beating sprees by correctly identifying those responsible then there is literally no chance of even beginning to address the issue. Vulnerable people, such as the elderly are being deliberately targeted, and I want it discussed with honesty, instead of it being neatly categorized as yet another surge in white-supremacist violence.

There are all kinds of theoretical explanations for the source of racist violence. For example, some seem to want to attribute stochacist street-level ethnic violence to American geopolitical saber rattling and anti-Chinese state department propaganda. I'm not discounting the notion that this is a contributing factor, but it's not comprehensive enough. Asian-Americans are a highly visible minority, some categories of whom are financially successful and relatively well integrated, and there are countless examples in human history of minority groups who fit such a profile being targeted for inter-ethnic violence.

if people want to laugh at me for raising the idea that prison abolition and defunding all police departments may not be the solution to vulnerable people such as the elderly being nearly beaten to death, that's on them

and this isn't whataboutism, White supremacist violence is by far the most deadly form of inter-ethnic violence in the United States, but identifying that doesn't adequately address the issue at hand, and in this context it's a side-step, at best

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That post would get a much kinder reaction if the op gave us an alternative theory instead of just saying that it matters that one time it was a black guy or some hispanic kids or whatever. The absence leads readers to try filling in the blank, which just makes it seem like they’re afraid to say what they really think.
VVVV

Booourns posted:

Looking forward to seeing what your rereg name is to evade your forum ban
I'm to be banned for what, exactly? getting emotional when members of my own community are deliberately targeted and the vanguards of anti-racist action are totally disinterested ? ok

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like Labour has a problem with it's membership being such a small % of the overall voting population. There's kind of a disconnect that results in them being unable to accurately gauge the electorate.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

James Garfield posted:

Also his blog has a column from this year titled "Cancel Culture, Where Liberalism Goes to Die"

Ah so he's another Glenn Greenwald type

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How are u posted:

Why is it pertinent to you, and why do you think it should be pertinent to everyone else?

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 6, 2021

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

The commitment to the death penalty among certain people is impressive in a weird way.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1390082659464978437
Coming from a state that executed a 14-year-old Black child, yeah, not fuckin' surprised.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

James Garfield posted:

https://scheerpost.com/2021/02/15/hedges-cancel-culture-where-liberalism-goes-to-die/

quote:

campbell remembers watching a documentary by CBS called “The Ku Klux Klan: An Invisible Empire,” after which he was invited to address the audience. The film showed the murder of the three civil rights workers in Mississippi, the castration of Judge Aaron in Alabama, and the deaths of the four young girls in the Birmingham Sunday school bombing. When the film showed a Klan recruit pivoting right when the drill master shouted, “Left face,” the audience erupted in “cheers, jeers, catcalls and guffaws.” Campbell writes that he “felt a sickening in my stomach.”

Those viewing the film were a group convened by the National Student Association and included New Left radicals of the sixties, representing Students for a Democratic Society, the Port Huron group, young white men and women who had led protests at campuses across the country, burned down buildings, coined the term “pigs” to refer to police. Many were from affluent families.

“They were students in or recent graduates of rich and leading colleges and universities,” he writes of the audience. “They were mean and tough but somehow, I sensed that there wasn’t a radical in the bunch. For if they were radical how could they laugh at a poor ignorant farmer who didn’t know his left hand from his right? If they had been radical they would have been weeping, asking what had produced him. And if they had been radical they would not have been sitting, soaking up a film produced for their edification and enjoyment by the Establishment of the establishment — CBS.”

Campbell, who was asked to address the group following the film, said: “My name is Will Campbell. I’m a Baptist preacher. I’m a native of Mississippi. And I’m pro-Klansman because I’m pro-human being.”

“Just four words uttered — ‘pro-Klansman Mississippi Baptist preacher,’ coupled with one visual image, white, had turned them into everything they thought the Ku Klux Klan to be — hostile, frustrated, angry, violent and irrational,” he writes. “And I was never able to explain to them that pro-Klansman is not the same as pro-Klan. That the former has to do with a person, the other with an ideology.”

“The same social forces which produced the Klan’s violence also produced the violence in Watts, Rochester and Harlem, Cleveland, Chicago, Houston, Nashville, Atlanta and Dayton, because they are all pieces of the same garment — social isolation, deprivation, economic conditions, rejections, working mothers, poor schools, bad diets, and all the rest,” Campbell writes.

And these social forces produced the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests after the police murder of George Floyd and the storming of the Capitol by an enraged mob.

Campbell never asked any of the members of the Klan he knew to leave the organization for the same reason he never asked liberals to leave “the respectable and fashionable organizations or institutions of which they were a part and party, all of which, I was learning, were more truly racist than their Klan.”
Campbell lived by his oft-quoted creed, “If you’re gonna love one, you’ve got to love ‘em all.” Like King, he believed in the redemptive and transformative power of forgiveness.

The ruling elites and the courtiers who trumpet their moral superiority by damning and silencing those who do not linguistically conform to politically correct speech are the new Jacobins. They wallow in a sanctimonious arrogance, one made possible by their privilege, which masks their subservience to corporate power and their amorality. They do not battle social and economic injustice. They silence, with the enthusiastic assistance of the digital platforms in Silicon Valley, those who are crushed and deformed by systems of oppression and those who lack their finely developed politesse and deference to linguistic fashion. They are the useful idiots of corporate power and the emerging police state. Cancel culture is not the road to reform. It is the road to tyranny.

This guy is okay with right wing monsters as long as they're poor enough and is cool with defending assholes saying similar. so yeah, this dude has some issues. rev campbell strikes me as a dude who can't see the trees through the forest.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

7c Nickel posted:

I feel like Labour has a problem with it's membership being such a small % of the overall voting population. There's kind of a disconnect that results in them being unable to accurately gauge the electorate.

Labour is just in a really unique and bad situation where almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

- Brexit completely split about 20% of the working class and low education traditional Labour voters and Labour had no clear position on Brexit for almost a year.

- Labour traditionally dominated Scotland, but the SNP has run a single issue campaign of Independence and has been cannibalizing traditionally Labour seats.

- Corbyn was very personally unpopular even before all the scandals and mudslinging.

- There actually were parts of Labour that didn't want to support Corbyn.

- Corbyn handled the anti-semitism and Brexit issues extremely badly. When the government report found that Labour members had violated the law by not bringing complaints about anti-semitism up the chain, Corbyn tried to say it wasn't a big deal and that he can't be expected to check on everyone. He also defended an activist who said Jews will always be loyal to Israel over their home country and went to a memorial celebrating the terrorists that kidnapped and murdered the Israeli Olympic team in Berlin (he said it was a gesture of peace to visit the memorial and the activist was his friend, but those are horrible looks to voluntarily go through in the middle of an anti-semitism scandal).

- A small chunk of working class Labour voters have left Labour for the BNP (which is basically an extremely anti-immigrant and anti-EU rightwing populist party in the vein of Le Penn).

- Labour hasn't really had any fresh ideas for a while. Corbyn was criticized for wanting to just go back to the 1970's and the other Labour leaders don't have major defining policy proposals other than "No cuts" or complaining about Boris.

- The center-right and Libertarian parties in the U.K. have completely collapsed, which has made the Tories the only game in town and means none of their ridings are having vote splitting issues.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 6, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you heal soon.

Does it comfort you at all to know that Biden is president and that Congress is in Dems' hands? Are you feeling better now that Trump is out of office?

I'm no longer rapidly losing weight and the night terrors have died down significantly. So yes there is good that came with it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Labour is just in a really unique and bad situation where almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

- Brexit completely split about 20% of the working class and low education traditional Labour voters and Labour had no clear position on Brexit for almost a year.

- Labour traditionally dominated Scotland, but the SNP has run a single issue campaign of Independence and has been cannibalizing traditionally Labour seats.

- Corbyn was very personally unpopular even before all the scandals and mudslinging.

- Corbyn handled the anti-semitism and Brexit issues extremely badly. When the government report found that Labour members had violated the law by not bringing complaints about anti-semitism up the chain, Corbyn tried to say it wasn't a big deal and that he can't be expected to check on everyone. He also defended an activist who said Jews will always be loyal to Israel over their home country and went to a memorial celebrating the terrorists that kidnapped and murdered the Israeli Olympic team in Berlin (he said it was a gesture of peace to visit the memorial and the activist was his friend, but those are horrible looks to voluntarily go through in the middle of an anti-semitism scandal).

- A small chunk of working class Labour voters have left Labour for the BNP (which is basically an extremely anti-immigrant and anti-EU rightwing populist party in the vein of Le Penn).

- Labour hasn't really had any fresh ideas for a while. Corbyn was criticized for wanting to just go back to the 1970's and the other Labour leaders don't have major defining policy proposals other than "No cuts" or complaining about Boris.

- The center-right and Libertarian parties in the U.K. have completely collapsed, which has made the Tories the only game in town and means none of their ridings are having vote splitting issues.
I wonder how the Englishmen feel reliving the Concert of Europe era, except as the reactionaries.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

I don't even know what Tucker's angle is with the extreme anti-vaxx stuff. He is literally just making the country/world worse for no reason. He doesn't personally profit from this and nobody was clamoring for him to make up specific lies about thousands of people dying from the vaccine.

A rich white man is telling people to not get vaccinated because COVID kills poor people of color more often than not. :ms:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I don't even know what Tucker's angle is with the extreme anti-vaxx stuff. He is literally just making the country/world worse for no reason. He doesn't personally profit from this and nobody was clamoring for him to make up specific lies about thousands of people dying from the vaccine. Fox required everyone in their New York studio to get vaccinated. Maybe they exempted on-air talent, but Tucker himself is most likely vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1390128294398504961

They are for it, so we're against it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Tuck had protesters outside his house for the ICE and boarder poo poo, that gently caress face should have poo poo piles on his lawnmiles deep for this poo poo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

Tuck had protesters outside his house for the ICE and boarder poo poo, that gently caress face should have poo poo piles on his lawnmiles deep for this poo poo.
Just bribe his neighbors to Rand Paul his rear end

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Just bribe his neighbors to Rand Paul his rear end

Why let him have a victim narrative? Go for subtle psychological poo poo like stealing all of his left shoes or something.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I'm gonna do my best to break down sections of this:

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Has there been any attempts to address the fact that man of the perpetrators of recent anti-Asian violence have been ethnic minorities themselves? I do not see it mentioned anywhere, particularly in liberal and leftist spaces.

So, first off you are starting from a bad base: when you set things as 'leftist spaces', this is a huge signal that a lot of the information you are going to give is already biased. Why are these spaces that aren't reporting 'liberal'? Is it because they aren't reporting it, they are being called as such by other outlets, or because they espouse liberal viewpoints?

When most people see 'leftist spaces', it undercuts your argument because this is the language used by people like Tucker to boost their own ratings. Don't trust them, they are 'leftist spaces', we're telling you the TRUTH (tm).

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I was even probated in an earlier version of this thread for even suggesting it. Many of the attacks against Asian-Americans committed in the last seven days were committed by demonstrably non-white assailants. I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here other than the fact that this feels like a form of outright "erasure" as people often put it.

First off, if you are going to make a claim, please bring your sources. The closest I found to info supporting your point (anti-asian attacks from other minorities) was a Voice of America article that actually debunks the fact and points out that minority violence is still overall outstriped by white violence:

https://www.voanews.com/usa/anti-asian-hate-crime-crosses-racial-and-ethnic-lines?amp

Second, this doesn't take into account other things that other posters have mentioned, like the closeness of differing communities, social issues, or pervasive white supremacist frameworks built into society.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I am particularly frustrated by online discourse which seems fixated on the idea that this is attributable to Trump, and, or white supremacy. White supremacist violence is quite deadly and is of a more institutionalized form but none of that addresses the fact that all of the discourse I've seen around the internet is totally inadequate when it comes to addressing anti-Asian violence.

Once again: what discourse? What sources?

As for attributing the rise in Anti-Asian hate to Trump, it's because he openly and vocally blamed the Asian community for COVID-19. He framed the disease as a foreign plot against the world, the 'China Virus' that was unleashed on everyone else. Even when Asian communities were reporting spikes in violence because of this negative view, he continued. When he did ask for 'peace', it was always couched with 'I love and support what you are doing', which is a mixed signal at best.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

This is all to say nothing of the fact that the idea that all racist violence is inherently rooted in white supremacy is ridiculous and can only be rooted in historical ignorance, yet I see this asserted again and again. I often see it suggested that racism and violence between distinct "non-white" ethnic groups in the U.S. can only be explained through the prism of white supremacy, as if non-whites are inherently incapable of racism against one another without it being inculcated by white supremacist ideology. I myself am of Asian-origin and I am beyond frustrated with the total disinterest in addressing this notion.

Blanket assertions like this are always flimsy and easy to punch holes in.

But what we have seen recently, given both the rise of white supremacist/neo-fascist groups and the rise in anti-minority crime in general (to include anti-asian crime) is that in our current society, there is a clear link between the two. This doesn't mean that black-on-asian violence doesn't exist, because it does happen. But it does mean that a growing trend in violence against Asians can follow a clear path from the words of the President and his supporters, and the deeds of the people that listen to them.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Also I fully expect to be pilloried and probated for even raising this notion. Be well, stay safe.

And we end off with a pointless parting shot and some snide bullshit. This doesn't make you or your point look better.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 6, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I'm posting it because when people are totally recalcitrant when it comes to clarifying the "nuances" of these particular killing and beating sprees by correctly identifying those responsible then there is literally no chance of even beginning to address the issue. Vulnerable people, such as the elderly are being deliberately targeted, and I want it discussed with honesty, instead of it being neatly categorized as yet another surge in white-supremacist violence.

Do you have any evidence at all that the perpetrators of anti-Asian hate crime are significantly different than those of other hate crimes or similar non-hate crimes? If you did, what would the implications be, exactly?

Gaupo Guacho posted:

There are all kinds of theoretical explanations for the source of racist violence. For example, some seem to want to attribute stochacist street-level ethnic violence to American geopolitical saber rattling and anti-Chinese state department propaganda. I'm not discounting the notion that this is a contributing factor, but it's not comprehensive enough. Asian-Americans are a highly visible minority, some categories of whom are financially successful and relatively well integrated, and there are countless examples in human history of minority groups who fit such a profile being targeted for inter-ethnic violence.

Well, at least this fact sheet suggests that hate crimes in general rose significantly (33%) from 2014-19, but not due to anti-Asian incidents (up 13%), whereas anti-Asian hate crimes did rise significantly from 2019 to 2020 in major cities. So specific things happening in 2020 could in fact have contributed to that.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

if people want to laugh at me for raising the idea that prison abolition and defunding all police departments may not be the solution to vulnerable people such as the elderly being nearly beaten to death, that's on them

Are you talking specifically about anti-Asian violence still or just anti-elder violence? Because assaults against the elderly rose significantly from ~2005-2016, and homicides from ~2011-2016, a notably pre-Trumpian time frame. And what exactly do you think prison abolition and police defunding (two things that notably did not happen at any time in the last infinity years) have to do with any of this? The AARP themselves said, in response to the CDC report where the previous statistics came from:

quote:

The CDC outlines a series of risk factors for those who might commit an assault against older adults. They include drug or alcohol use, especially heavy drinking; high stress levels and low coping resources; lack of social support; financial or emotional dependence on the older adult; lack of training for adult care; and depression. “We want people to understand that it is a preventable public health issue,” Schoen said. “There are reporting agencies that acknowledge it is not OK to be physically, emotionally or sexually abused.”

Those sure sound like symptoms of root causes like poverty and racism, to which the prison-industrial complex is a significant contributor!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

They are for it, so we're against it.

I know you guys joke about using something as simple as breathing to test how far they would go, but Im now worried you would legit end up with 30% of your population suffocating themselves to spite the president.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I know you guys joke about using something as simple as breathing to test how far they would go, but Im now worried you would legit end up with 30% of your population suffocating themselves to spite the president.

The same 30% would also do it if their Antipresident also told them to. Suffocating the whole family to own the libs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This is definitely a trick to get your everlasting gobstopper. Don't trust him.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Gaupo Guacho posted:

and this isn't whataboutism, White supremacist violence is by far the most deadly form of inter-ethnic violence in the United States, but identifying that doesn't adequately address the issue at hand, and in this context it's a side-step, at best

White people love to use the model minority myth to show how black and brown people just aren't trying hard enough to be successful to the point where even Asians have bought into it like massive suckers. Gee, I wonder why white supremacy is responsible for manufacturing or exacerbating racial tensions between various minority groups.

quote:

Asking for more cops to fix racial violence is like asking the arsonist to put out the fire in your house; they are responsible for much of the racial violence in this country. This poo poo was my #1 frustration with the response of the "Asian community" (rich Asian celebrities writing articles and doing Zoom calls). Just absolute dog brain poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is definitely a trick to get your everlasting gobstopper. Don't trust him.

I mean, on it's face it's a good philosophy. Don't outright trust Biden to do the right thing on his own. The good news is though, he's been surprisingly amenable to pressure and criticism from the left, so it's doing some good I guess.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

The same 30% would also do it if their Antipresident also told them to. Suffocating the whole family to own the libs.

It's the important part about how the Right is driven by spite, not hatred.
Hatred is reasonable - in the literal sense of the word 'reasonable.' You can reason with hatred. Hatred can be kept in check by rational considerations. A person may hate someone with all their being but still not make a move against them because they fear reprisal from either that person, that person's allies, or the authorities.
Spite, in contrast, is all-consuming. Spite is the willingness to *destroy* yourself to merely *harm* your enemy.

If the Right was driven by hatred they would not vote or behave as they do, because Republican policies hurt the average Republican greatly. But because they are driven by spite there is frannly no price too big to pay for the chance to lash out against their enemies.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

-Corbyn handled the anti-semitism and Brexit issues extremely badly. When the government report found that Labour members had violated the law by not bringing complaints about anti-semitism up the chain, Corbyn tried to say it wasn't a big deal and that he can't be expected to check on everyone. He also defended an activist who said Jews will always be loyal to Israel over their home country and went to a memorial celebrating the terrorists that kidnapped and murdered the Israeli Olympic team in Berlin (he said it was a gesture of peace to visit the memorial and the activist was his

This is bollocks and you should not pose as a UK explainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Okay, I am going to have to come in here. The first two points are correct, but leave out that Brexit was not the catalyst but the ongoing result and that the SNP have campaigned to the left of Scottish Labour on some issues. The indie-ref campaign lead to the, frankly awful, image of Labour and Tory united to try and force Scotland to stay in the union. Everything since then has made the cause for an independent Scotland seem far more reasonable to a lot of the voting public.

I will disagree with the third point however. There was not a single time period in which the British Media did not try and have Corbyn expelled from the second he stepped up to the plate. Vast oceans of ink have been spilled on this but there was never any time period in which the media was anything other than condemnatory of Corbyn. His "personal unpopularity" was drummed into everyone from the day he started campaigning to be leader. I also agree with the fourth point.

The person in charge of dealing with the complaints sat on them and the larger problem was that Corbyn was interfering to get people accused of antisemitism dealt with faster. This is obviously a judgement on him not following party rules, not because I don't want antisemitism to be punished in a political party. That was the big reveal of the investigation into it. He went to a memorial inside a graveyard where they are buried and left a wreath on a different grave for people who were killed in a separate incident. He also went to the graveyard several years before being party leader. He was accused of being a Russian spy.

The BNP has not been an electoral force for at least 20 years because it's passive policy of casual racism has been taken up by UKIP and by the Tory party.

Labour in it's manifesto had so many new ideas, including nationalised broadband infrastructure and direct worker ownership of rail, water and other essentials.

UKIP collapsed and Nigel Farages new party refused to run against the Tories. They ran solely against Labour so that they could give more votes to the Tory party. There has never been a libertarian party in this country with any real power, and "lol" if you consider UKIP and it's various different off-shoots "centre-right".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 6, 2021