Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BLOOD AND GUTS
This poll is closed.
HORRIBLE 1 0.63%
MEH 16 10.06%
GOOD 74 46.54%
GREAT 68 42.77%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HarpoGarza/status/1390158155942797317?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
alright just finished dynamite. the blood & guts match owned. loved it. honestly cant believe aew keep putting this stuff on dynamite for free!

Seams fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 6, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pylons posted:

Wow, suddenly the ending to Revolution 2021 is the greatest thing to happen in the history of our great sport.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flatluigi posted:

it has been less than two months since the pinnacle debuted on dynamite

I don't think the Pinnacle's been booked badly, its just the oddness of them being booked around this match in this way. None of them had built heat with the Inner Circle besides MJF so they just felt very along for the ride. They did their best to add heat and sell the parties but I think it was just very limited what you can do on such short notice.

Hopefully now they have the room to do more. AEW is generally good at booking, I expect them to do well. Again, I'm not looking forward to an extension of this feud. Both because I have zero use for face Inner Circle and because it just feels backwards to start here and then ramp down. But even if that happens at least it should give more room for interpersonal stuff and sell them more as a group.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

but you said you didn't like Max Caster

Is there a joke I'm missing here? Sorry I'm legit on edge here because I'm still grieving the death of my dog, bear with me on this one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is there a joke I'm missing here? Sorry I'm legit on edge here because I'm still grieving the death of my dog, bear with me on this one.

max caster's got a weird hand thing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i thought the joke was interpreting the gesture "creaky hand" as a different, offensive hand gesture because max caster is homophobic

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know. I didn't think that if it's not what it was. it's for sure not me coming up with that thought and putting it out into the world

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Anybody else get a slamo.

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1390138296878080003

Respond saying if you got one or create a new topic

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
rip brian pillman jr, eating the pin while his aunt susan was in the audience

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really enjoyed the show overall! Blood & Guts match was almost a super great match to me. Sure, the ending was kind of hokey but I think that's a relatively minor issue, don't show close ups and I would have been fine with it. My bigger issue was with the stretch after the Inner Circle coordinated but before the top of the cage shenanigans, where it suddenly felt like they were wasting time a bit to me.

Everything before and after that in the match was great! Except not seeing Wardlow go in. Boo! Sammy just darting across the ring like he's in Street Fighter was a great way to kick things off tho!

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
In my headspace they were all fighting while smoking the world's tiniest joints the way they would hold their blades for so long before doing the deed

Would explain jerichos constant red eyes

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

max caster's got a weird hand thing

Oh

I ignore the gently caress out of him as much as possible so that explains that

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Artelier posted:

I really enjoyed the show overall! Blood & Guts match was almost a super great match to me. Sure, the ending was kind of hokey but I think that's a relatively minor issue, don't show close ups and I would have been fine with it. My bigger issue was with the stretch after the Inner Circle coordinated but before the top of the cage shenanigans, where it suddenly felt like they were wasting time a bit to me.

I agree -- there was way too much time at the end when the Pinnacle was clearly beaten and the Inner Circle was just vamping to fill time instead of, you know, trying to win the match.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh

I ignore the gently caress out of him as much as possible so that explains that

not going to really push on it since you outright said you're in a bad mood, but the acclaimed have grown on me a bunch recently and platinum max has become exactly the sort of weirdo i like my wrestlers to be

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Omega and Nakazawa vs Moxley and Kingston. They cut between live and pre-recorded well and I'm glad they have the second ring here too. Callis no-showing Kenny and saying Nak has to wrestle by himself is obviously and in character an utter lie, which is cool. Omega attacks while Mox and Kingston were on their way to the ring. Would rather have it be the Impact title in case it got dented. Wild schmozz to start, which is to be expected. Nak is obviously the designated damage taker, but he does a good job of it and gets some good fight back too. Not a classic, but a good way to warm up a crowd.

And the Young Bucks in amazing heel bullshit clothes. Good brothers attack Kingston and Moxley. I increasingly enjoy the Good Brothers as muscle. They're getting the balance right with the Elite of them being just desperately uncool.

And they announce Shida vs Baker for Double Or Nothing and this gets a roar. Love it.

2) QT Marshall vs Cody Rhodes. And we're off in the Cody Dimension. We get Anger Cody, Violence Cody, and a belt war. I do like Cody, but even his best friend in the whole world would probably observe that he oversells. We get QT slapping Arn and Arn attacking QT. Which should be a DQ but we're in the Codyverse so what the hell. This is a good match. It's a Cody match, but QT actually does a very good job of playing as skillful lovely heel. I liked the double cross body. I did not understand the trunks spot there. Every one of Cody's opponents has a lovely Cross Rhodes, I kind of love it. That gutwrench buckle bomb was great. Love the tombstone cartwheel. They are actually making QT look really good here. He kicked out of the Cross Rhodes! But Cody wins with the Figure Four. As expected, and at some point Cody bladed for basically no reason, but this was perfectly fine.

And then Ogogo comes out with his one move and leaves Cody lying. OK, sure, I'd watch that.

Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page doing lines from Batman cartoons and talking slowly. Ah, we went to the "listen, SHOOT NAME" well. I kind of like Ethan Page bringing up battles with Allin on the indies. Dobby attacks, and this is actually a really fun scuffle. Oh god, they are spending a LOT of time near those concrete steps. And now we see why. As soon as Sky stopped talking this got good.

Sad Dobby on the stairs went on too long. He looked like he'd just been dumped by his high school girlfriend.

3) Britt Baker vs Julia Hart. Julia was pretty good at the Nightmare Factory showcase and did well against KiLynn King on Elevation too. This is obviously not going to be a long mat classic, but Julia has some decent fightback and sells very well. A quick murder and it's over. Sadly I think this is the only women's match we get tonight.

I love that we get Technique By Taz basically saying that Christian Cage sucks and is bad at wrestling.

4) Varsity Blonds vs Jurassic Express vs SCU vs The Acclaimed. This could be loving great. I love all these teams. The Dark Side Of The Ring line was great. The "cucks" line was poo poo. On the other hand, I can see an Acclaimed face run at some point down the line going great. Jungle Boy and Kaz is a great segment in a tag match but I want them to get ten minutes as a single at some point. Basically I want Kaz to have ten minute singles matches against everyone on the roster. Everyone. The pacing feels a bit off at the start of this match. Too many guys not knowing what they're supposed to be doing. Once they get a rhythm, though, this gets good. Everyone gets in, does some cool poo poo, and gets out again. The Jurassic Express double team on The Acclaimed was great. They do a good job here of making everyone look credible. Obviously SCU won, but everyone got a spot where they could have credibly won. This was fun.

I absolutely love the Mox / Nagata package. Nagata looks like a legend, Mox looks like a psychopath. The only thing I'd do if I were them would be scour the New Japan archives for, like Yuji knocking the gently caress out of Kenny Omega or Lance Archer, or other AEW guys.

Toney and Kenneth with an announcement for Blood and Guts. Nak as the belt carrier looks great. God, Nak is so loving good. This is a nice treat for a crowd who thought they were only here for Blood and Guts. Collecting go-eld. OK, so next week we get PAC vs Orange Cassidy in a number one contenders match! Kenny getting pissy at not just getting PAC was great, because now we're hungry to see Orange vs Omega. Which would be an absolute fuckin scorcher. Good job blowing up Cassidy here. I like Omega calling Toney "Mr Schiavone". "People want to be like you because they CAN" is great. Nak in the shades works well. Toney keeping reaching for the mic was great too.

Toney still out there to interview Miro, who looks like an absolute unhinged beast. Yay, we get Miro vs Dobby! Jesus this guy is loving scary.

Next week's show looks loving stacked.

5) BLOOD AND GUTS. Pinnacle (FTR, Spears, Wardlow, MJF) vs Inner Circle (P&P, Sammy, Hager, Jericho). I'll admit it, the Pinnacle look like a force to be reckoned with. Inner Circle in inmate gear. Santana and Ortiz look amazing, everyone else looks fine. I've loved him as a lovely heel, but by god do I ever adore Sammy Guevara as a white hot babyface. Sammy starts off with a tiger in his tank, just getting all the poo poo in. Because he's been in multis and not in full action, we've missed a bit of quite how wonderful Sammy is in the ring. I'll give Dax credit too, he's an absolute bruiser in here. The descending turnbuckle spot was great. And after just a few minutes, Sammy's arm is cut open, Dax is bleeding from the head, and I think his knee is messed up. Spears in to un-even the numbers. Sammy does a lot of good hero spots. Spears getting some great sadistic offense. Wow, Dax is hosed UP already. Ortiz in with his own chair, just absolutely loving Dax up. The regular dose of Fresh Guy Advantage in this match is like continually getting a warm up in your coffee. Great advantage being taken if the double ropes and double rings. Oh gently caress, did Sammy mess up his leg there or is he just really good at selling? Cash in and turns the tables. Santana talking poo poo to Cash through the mesh was great. So much great environmental storytelling. Santana with the hottest of hot entrances, but that structural advantage for Pinnacle is becoming apparent: Cash is still almost fresh, Spears is beaten up but not too badly, and the war of attrition continues. Did Ortiz just use barbed wire on someone during a commercial goddamn break? Ah, Wardlow in, just waiting for one of these loving idiots to come over and be killed. This is great, all three of the Inner Circle guys go for Wardlow and it's just not enough. SO now we've got mirror images in opposing rings which is great, as Hager kills Pinnacle guys. Weirdly we've had so much excitement so far that MJF coming in almost feels like a letdown. The shot of him yelling through the cage to the completely isolated Jericho is great, though. Love the Pinnacle completely isolating Santana. And then Jericho comes in, and the match proper can start. God, the staging of this is beautiful. Spears climbs the cage, Jericho chokes him on a truss, bodies all over the place. And I just want to stress that this is going out on free broadcast television. Holy lord. Oh poo poo, the canvas is torn up. Spears is pulling the turnbuckles down. They are going to use the ring to fight each other. Jesus gently caress. These guys are tired, the crowd is tired, which adds to the feeling of the match as pain. Sammy assisting with double spike pile drivers on FTR ruled. Sammy hits a loving VAN TERMINATOR on Spears. Jesus hell. These guys are all so, so, good. I love Toney's bloodlust. The only weird thing about this match is that it feels like MJF has disappeared into the background, only becoming prominent again with the Abdullah-esque fork spot from Santana. Know what would be great as a special presentation? This match but in black and white for everything except the blood. Oh jesus, Sammy, was that an unprotected loving head shot on Wardlow? Tully beats up a ref, grabs a key, and lets MJF out. Jericho follows him to the top of the cage. Oh gently caress. Oh fuuuck. Jericho just looks so happy. Like, I feel like he knows this is one of the last times he gets to do poo poo this crazy, and he's just hanging there and loving it. MJF, you absolute chickenshit. AEW do love to have a heel climb something and a face follow and put on a submission move. This is astounding. MJF covered in blood, laying out Jericho and just defying the baying crowd furiously. I love it so much. And the Inner Circle surrender to save Jericho's life. And then. Of course. Jericho goes over anyway. (it looks a bit too snuggly to really sell the effect, but that's unavoidable). And we finish up with horrible goblin MJF triumphant and angry on top of the stage.

Wow. Absolutely amazing, incredibly dramatic, what a match. What a show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

not going to really push on it since you outright said you're in a bad mood, but the acclaimed have grown on me a bunch recently and platinum max has become exactly the sort of weirdo i like my wrestlers to be
Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat but when Max made the "Dark Side of the Ring" reference I didn't interpret it as "LOL Pillman's dad is dead"

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat but when Max made the "Dark Side of the Ring" reference I didn't interpret it as "LOL Pillman's dad is dead"

Is that what he was saying? Gross, I didn't get it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Show was good but the highlight for me was Taz using a breakdown/analysis segment as an excuse to talk poo poo about Christian Cage :allears:

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Just watched the Blood and Guts match and I thought it was great for the most part. PnP, FTR and Sammy in particular were fantastic. PnP were so hyped up during the entrance and it added a ton to the anticipation. But the last several minutes were frankly not good and I'm pretty much in the camp that if a spot has to be either dangerous or look like poo poo, then don't do it. It was also baffling for the Inner Circle to be completely dominant and have the match won and then not press that advantage and instead have the match shamble on for another 10 minutes so Jericho and MJF can have a new match on top of the cage. Ultimately I still enjoyed it but somebody needed to be around in the planning stages of this thing pointing out all the dumb poo poo they were planning to do.

Also Darby is loving insane

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So they dropped the conclusion on Youtube and the comments are pretty universal:
1) Camera angle ruined the Jericho drop
2) Commercials wrecked the timing of the whole match
3) MJF is now the heelest heel in AEW
4) Sammy has loving arrived
5) Match was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-lcghhBBY0&t=269s

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Lmao y'all are acting like they didn't clear it with them before they said it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Lmao y'all are acting like they didn't clear it with them before they said it
I mean, I'm essentially agreeing with you

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blood & Guts was a great match and the rest of the show overall was good. I also don't get the complaint of "well the IC had the match won", because you don't win the match until someone on the other side gives up, and the Pinnacle have been well established as a group of extremely tough badasses so they didn't.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think I'm more forgiving about the ending than some people are. On the basis that - from the Inner Circle's point of view - they didn't know the stage bump was going to be onto something padded. They didn't come in by the regular entrances, didn't walk across that bit of stage, and as far as they knew that was just a regular bit of stage. Hence their reaction in the moment can be written up as genuine. Jericho was safer in the landing than he would have been in other places, but you could use that later on for a Jericho promo about how MJF should have killed him.

Regarding the part where Inner Circle are dominant in the ring while the Jericho and MJF stuff was going on above them, I've got to admit that while Jericho and MJF were on top of the cage the rest of the ring basically didn't exist for me. The drama was on top so I wasn't spending any time wondering what the people in the cage were doing.

I can see the things that people think were flaws, I'm not denying they happened. But they didn't detract from a formidable match and an absolutely bravissimo performance from Sammy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, this match really elevated Sammy and cemented MJF as a top heel even further. Also I thought Hager (of all people) looked better than he has in a long time.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Blood & Guts was a great match and the rest of the show overall was good. I also don't get the complaint of "well the IC had the match won", because you don't win the match until someone on the other side gives up, and the Pinnacle have been well established as a group of extremely tough badasses so they didn't.

A much fresher Spears tapped to an ankle lock before the Match Beyond or whatever even started. Yes that was to help establish the rules but if the Pinnacle were a bunch of bad asses who refused to quit maybe they shoulda actually showed actual shots of them having any fight left in them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Something I mentioned in my longer notes that I want to come back to.

There's a point where Jericho is climbing the side of the cage and he pauses. And I know he's pausing because he's waiting for the show to come back from commercial. But while he's there he looks out over the crowd and he has such a sincere, joyful smile on his face. And it feels like he knows that he's about to go to the top of a cage to do something really stupid to make a crowd react. And this is likely to be one of the last times he gets to do this, because he's not got that many spots left on his bump card. And he's just savouring the moment. And think what you like about Jericho the person, I loved this for Jericho the wrestler.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I don't think IC or Pinnacle look bad coming out of that match. The only reason IC lost is because Sammy didn't want to see Jericho thrown off the top of the cage. Both teams looked fairly equal in terms of how tough they are.

As for the crash pads, I literally don't care. The character moment of Sammy giving up to save Jericho and then MJF pushing him off the cage anyway because he's an evil prick worked for me. I wouldn't be sitting here thinking Jericho took a Foley HIAC bump if they had used a different angle.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SLUM KING posted:

A much fresher Spears tapped to an ankle lock before the Match Beyond or whatever even started. Yes that was to help establish the rules but if the Pinnacle were a bunch of bad asses who refused to quit maybe they shoulda actually showed actual shots of them having any fight left in them.

They didn't quit with the chips were down and it actually mattered, which I would argue is what counts.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crash pad or not that’s still got to suck for Jericho’s old bones. Easy way to kayfabe an excuse where TK installed it knowing MJF might do some bullshit like that. It’s not as blatant as parking a truck full of hay next to a hell in a cell for no reason at all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lamuella posted:

I think I'm more forgiving about the ending than some people are. On the basis that - from the Inner Circle's point of view - they didn't know the stage bump was going to be onto something padded. They didn't come in by the regular entrances, didn't walk across that bit of stage, and as far as they knew that was just a regular bit of stage. Hence their reaction in the moment can be written up as genuine. Jericho was safer in the landing than he would have been in other places, but you could use that later on for a Jericho promo about how MJF should have killed him.

Fushin posted:

Crash pad or not that’s still got to suck for Jericho’s old bones. Easy way to kayfabe an excuse where TK installed it knowing MJF might do some bullshit like that. It’s not as blatant as parking a truck full of hay next to a hell in a cell for no reason at all.

i know what y'all're doing here but they really really aren't going to treat 'oh my god you can tell he hit a crash pad' as a botch and they're not going to break keyfabe for it

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

No reason to ever refer to it as anything but Jericho taking a bump off the cage tbh. Foley's bump through the ring in his HIAC match against Triple H was obviously gimmicked too, but it was sold like death.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone said “Crud & Butts” yet

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Episode ruled, loved it from start to finish.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Max Caster is gonna be the best heel in wrestling one day.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThePariah posted:

Max Caster is gonna be the best heel in wrestling one day.

i think the dude has a long future ahead of him but he's in the same company as MJF and i don't think there's a young dude as effortless a heel as him

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

flatluigi posted:

i think the dude has a long future ahead of him but he's in the same company as MJF and i don't think there's a young dude as effortless a heel as him

Two Bad Guys Named Max

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also the IC had the match under their thumb for the last few minutes, but they probably wanted to make MJF surrender/quit to prove a point, which is why they went looking for him/after him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

flatluigi posted:

I think it'll be a case of Max is the hypeman, Bowens is the wrestler. Bowens has charisma (his reactions during the entrance rap show it), it's just overshadowed by Max at the moment.