Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Flayer posted:

That's exactly what will happen. The planned end of the French fisherman protest will happen, the British gunboats will sail by Jersey and the Daily Express will declare the French soundly thrashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got back from the polling station just as a man was posting a "Don't forget to vote Labour!" card through the front door. He had a Labour tote bag so he probably is a volunteer.

I was the only person in the polling station. Couldn't get close enough to the table to see the lists where they cross people off, so couldn't say if they'd been busy earlier.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Good news lads the plucky English fleet has seen off Onion Johnny from our fishing ports Rule Brittania.

Jonnie Onion Rings are the best, the UK is sorely missing out on yet another sophisticated snack through its crisp jingoism.

I was going to be soft and throw the Labour candidate for Police & Crime Commissioner here a vote. Her own social media presence was decent and focused a lot on reporting of domestic/partner and sexual violence and supports for victims (and not in a TERFy way), but her page on the Labour website glosses over that in a single bullet point and bills "more police" and "tackle knife crime" front-and-centre.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've heard about crying after sex, but...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's a bit odd knowing there's no election broadcast to stay up all night watching, waiting for the Western Isles to pull their fingers out & get the votes from Barra to the count at 4:30am. Sensible though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jaete posted:

So did France just decide that they want Boris Johnson to win these local elections even harder than he otherwise would have?

Or did the tories somehow manage to time this Jersey bullshit perfectly, like they set some contract expiry/renewal there to two days before the elections? Or what's going on here

From the BBC article on it, hinting it was UK instigated:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57003069

quote:

The boats are protesting against new fishing rules - introduced last week by the Jersey government under the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) - which require French boats to show they have a history of fishing in Jersey's waters. But it has been claimed additional requirements were added without notice.

French authorities say "new technical measures" had not been communicated to the EU, rendering them "null and void".

Why do you need a history of fishing there to fish, and how it is proven, cant find anything more.
It looks like an intentional spanner in the works, but doubt it was timed for the elections.
Boris cant bluff a free bedroom, gently caress trying to do House of Cards type poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1390058985177456649?s=20

i miss this guy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't find candidate statements loving anywhere. Our local council's site is a mess and just put the names up in a pdf, no statements. Same with the electoral comission.

I've managed to find some of the statements on WCIVF but not all of them. Isn't there supposed to be somewhere they're supposed to put them? Will they have them at the station.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Voted for Binface and the Communists.

Voice. Heard.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's a bit odd knowing there's no election broadcast to stay up all night watching, waiting for the Western Isles to pull their fingers out & get the votes from Barra to the count at 4:30am. Sensible though.

Wait there isn't?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jakabite posted:

Wait there isn't?

Scottish count doesnt start till 10am on Friday, results wont start coming in till the afternoon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Wait there isn't?
There'll be Laura K giving the official Tory line on how to interpret the tea leaves against Kieth, and then time for boris clapclaps again probably.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

:siren: Podcast Announcement :siren:

Hello everyone,

There comes a time when it becomes necessary to betray the Citizen Soviets and centralise power for the good of the people. With that in mind, Podcasting is Praxis is selling out, and has slimmed down to five people: David, Jamie, James, Rob, and Alasdair.

It was fun doing the podcast as a bigger collective, but we've reached the point where to continue to grow we need to be more organised and consistent, and better able to plan. We looked at the numbers, and for a while now it's been more or less the same steady crew, and that's coincided with a massive increase in listeners. We're over 1k an episode easily now, which is loving wild.

We also need to eat. Jamie has been living on scrapings from our t-shirt sales for a while, and meanwhile people have been asking if they can give us money. So, to give the people what they want, we have a Patreon now.

That's it. There's nothing more to say. We'll still be here, posting too much, and still putting out episodes. Cheers for reading.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Wait there isn't?

Locals, especially ones with non-FPTP systems, almost never declare the night of the election - less people working on them and a more complex counting system slows things down. The fact that many polls are doubled or tripled up because of covid postponements, and there are going to be even less people counting because of social distancing, is going to slow things down even more. GLA and mayoral elections are expected Saturday night, and some of the smaller races might not be finished until the middle of next week.

The one thing I've not been able to find is a decent prediction of when the Hartlepool result will be in - they'll be counting those votes first, but nobody knows just how much turnout there will be and how much social distancing is likely to slow things down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Wait there isn't?

I dunno about local elections down south, but certainly the Scottish count isn't happening tonight. Doesn't look like there's owt on the BBC News schedule though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Hello everyone,

There comes a time when it becomes necessary to betray the Citizen Soviets and centralise power for the good of the people. With that in mind, Podcasting is Praxis is selling out, and has slimmed down to five people: David, Jamie, James, Rob, and Alasdair.

It was fun doing the podcast as a bigger collective, but we've reached the point where to continue to grow we need to be more organised and consistent, and better able to plan. We looked at the numbers, and for a while now it's been more or less the same steady crew, and that's coincided with a massive increase in listeners. We're over 1k an episode easily now, which is loving wild.

We also need to eat. Jamie has been living on scrapings from our t-shirt sales for a while, and meanwhile people have been asking if they can give us money. So, to give the people what they want, we have a Patreon now.

That's it. There's nothing more to say. We'll still be here, posting too much, and still putting out episodes. Cheers for reading.

You should probably give a link to the patreon?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

PNGYAKUZA posted:

quite funny considering they still use the excuse of tourism to keep the royals around

god drat I keep seeing this argument around and I'm getting loving tired of it

particularly as France hasn't had a monarch for 150 years and yet there's this little palace in somewhere called Versailles that still seems to do pretty well tourist-wise

(I know you're not using it genuinely, I'm just venting really)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

From the BBC article on it, hinting it was UK instigated:

Why do you need a history of fishing there to fish, and how it is proven, cant find anything more.

So, it was UK instigated, but not in the way you think.

The fishing rights and agreements between the islands and the UK/EU were part of the wider EU fishing rights legislation.

Brexit hosed all that legislation off.

The islands have now been left on their own to negotiate new agreements with the French. This is not an unpopular situation for us to be in as it means the UK can't try and use our rights as a political pawn.

Jersey drew up a new license scheme and as part of it they didn't want the entire French fishing armada declaring open day on their waters. So the initial licenses were on the provision that you were already fishing here before brexit anyway.

The licenses have just come into effect and in addition to that requirement Jersey have said you need to keep your transponder on in their waters so they can verify that it's a licensed boat in their waters. It looks like* Jersey did not communicate that this was a requirement and that's what the Fishermen are kicking off about.

Guernsey is also sorting it's licenses out but no idea if the French will kick off about that or not.

*it's unclear to me as I'm not an expert in fishing rights or Jersey politics but if I were a betting man I would be putting all my chips on Jersey Government Incompetence

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Flayer posted:

Voted for Binface and the Communists.

Voice. Heard.

Hope not, Binface is a centrist wank endeavor. Couldn't help sneaking in chat that Corbyn was an anti-semite in an interview, minutes after talking about joking with BORIS in the Latin language.

That oval office has an ill-fitting jacuzzi in their back garden, guaranteed.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://www.patreon.com/praxiscast

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Hello everyone,

Seems reasonable, it's been obvious for a bit who the core crew is as a regular listener and I guess you can still bring other contributors on from time to time if they have something to say. Haven't listened to the latest yet but I'm glad you're talking about HE, it's been on my mind as something that would be a good left podcast discussion but I only ever hear Desolation Radio talk about it (cos they're academic types themselves I guess).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Scottish count doesnt start till 10am on Friday, results wont start coming in till the afternoon.

9am, but yes. And it carries on into Saturday.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Voted:

Local Senedd rep: Welsh labour - I know her, she's a very good egg

Police Commissioner (2 votes): (1) Labour (2) Plaid - I know nothing about any of the candidates (chucking all the election leaflets in the recycling unread probably didn't help but I don't recall any coming through for that. All the rest of the parties on the list were tory or fasc-adjacent variations on 'independent' and 'shoot brown people'.

Regional Senedd rep: Britain's Communist Party - don't @ me I have no idea who they are or what they stand for. Did for bantz. (No idea who any of the others are either.)

Polling station report:

No queue, 3 people came in and out while I was there. The 'used pencil' box (covid precautions - everyone got a new pencil) had just 5 pencils in it. Now either there was a huge rush this morning and they already filled one used pencil box, or there wasn't and hardly anyone has voted.

16-18 can vote in Senedd:

My polling station is right by the local comprehensive school so I was just wondering how many of the 16-18s will bother to vote for senedd and what impact that might have. No excuse of time/distance for them not voting* - the polling station is just a minute away from the comp and on the direct route between the comp and the pedestrian underpass where all the kids gather to smoke their cancer sticks (why do kids still think smoking makes them look 'big'? rhetorical question.)

*I mean they may have other good reasons for not voting, but time/distance can't be one of them round here except for those that live further afield than the local town centre.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

So, it was UK instigated, but not in the way you think.

The fishing rights and agreements between the islands and the UK/EU were part of the wider EU fishing rights legislation.

Brexit hosed all that legislation off.

The islands have now been left on their own to negotiate new agreements with the French. This is not an unpopular situation for us to be in as it means the UK can't try and use our rights as a political pawn.

Jersey drew up a new license scheme and as part of it they didn't want the entire French fishing armada declaring open day on their waters. So the initial licenses were on the provision that you were already fishing here before brexit anyway.

The licenses have just come into effect and in addition to that requirement Jersey have said you need to keep your transponder on in their waters so they can verify that it's a licensed boat in their waters. It looks like* Jersey did not communicate that this was a requirement and that's what the Fishermen are kicking off about.

Guernsey is also sorting it's licenses out but no idea if the French will kick off about that or not.

*it's unclear to me as I'm not an expert in fishing rights or Jersey politics but if I were a betting man I would be putting all my chips on Jersey Government Incompetence

Thanks for this.
Why cant news articles give details like this.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

Why cant news articles give details like this.

Because Britain Has Had Enough Of Experts.

I've compiled this just from conversations I've had and comments I've seen today:

Channel Islands Crib Sheet for "Journalists" and Online Commenters

General - "Tax dodgers" / "Sell em back to France" / etc
  • The Islands are not part of the UK, and do not "belong" to the UK. They belong to the Crown.
  • There is little to no interest locally in becoming part of the UK, if anything full independence would be more likely.
  • The Islands are self governing; The Governments of Jersey and Guernsey are separate from the UK and each other.
  • Guernsey is also responsible for Alderney and Sark, but these islands also have their own governments.
  • The islands were never members of the EU, but we had a sort of membership-lite through our association with Britain.
  • Our partial membership allowed us to be part of things like the wider customs area.
  • Islanders pay taxes to their own government, not the UK.
  • In Guernsey, for example it's 20% income tax, ~13% Social Insurance (NI), and equivalents to council rates.
  • We don't have inheritance, or capital gains tax, this is what outsiders move here to "dodge" typically.
  • We have corporate tax but only on certain specific business sectors, this is why companies get based here.
  • Jersey has sales tax, but Guernsey and it's related islands do not.
  • Prices can still be the same as the UK or higher due to having to ship everything in.
  • This all adds up to a high cost of living for regular working islanders and they often pay the same or slightly more tax than they would in the UK, proportionally.
  • We have our own government services, but some, like the Police have arrangements with the UK equivalent for support and staffing.
  • We do not have "free" healthcare like the NHS, and we currently have no reciprocal arrangement with the UK.

The Fishing Thing - "stealing are fish!" / "send in the gunboats" / etc
  • The French fishermen are protesting the JERSEY fishing license scheme.
  • The islands have now been left on their own to create their own fishing scheme after Brexit obliterated the existing agreements.
  • Jersey drew up a new license scheme and as part of it they didn't want the entire French fishing armada declaring open day on their waters. So the initial licenses were on the provision that you were already fishing here before brexit anyway.
  • The islands have had similar disagreements with UK fishermen too.

WW2 / Occupation Specific - "welcomed the Nazis in" / "collaborators!" / etc
  • In the Second World War we were occupied by the forces of Nazi Germany.
  • Before the islands were invaded the British evacuated what little military equipment and personnel were stationed here.
  • They neglected to tell the Germans that they had done so and the Germans bombed Guernsey's port killing 34 and injuring more.
  • The unprotected islands were then taken with ease as there was no means of resistance.
  • Hitler was obsessed with this prize and ordered the islands to be integrated into the Atlantic Wall system of coastal defences.
  • Alderney was cleared of all residents and three prison camps placed there, including a brutal SS-run camp.
  • Activities on Alderney were highly classified and they still keep finding new potential mass graves and having to up the number of estimated dead.
  • Prisoners were used as slave labour to build a staggering quantity and variety of bunkers and military facilities, many died.
  • Local resistance was very difficult due to the small, closed nature of the islands and the number of Germans.
  • Acts of resistance small and large did happen though, from vandalism and theft of German materials to aiding and abetting spies and commandos.
  • As a result locals were killed, or sent to prison camps on the continent (where many died).
  • D-Day entirely bypassed the islands and cut all supplies for nearly a year in order to soften the islands up.
  • Many soldiers and civilians alike were starving to death by the winter of '44 because the British would rather let the locals starve than risk any food getting to the soldiers.
  • In the end the Red Cross stepped in on Dec 27th and delivered food parcels with the arrival of SS Vega.
  • The Islands were finally liberated in May of '45.
  • Each Island celebrates liberation with yearly bank holiday street parties.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 6, 2021

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah that would have been a good idea :v:

Thankfully someone more professional than I, the guy on the podcast that is attempting to be more professional, has posted it.

big scary monsters posted:

Seems reasonable, it's been obvious for a bit who the core crew is as a regular listener and I guess you can still bring other contributors on from time to time if they have something to say. Haven't listened to the latest yet but I'm glad you're talking about HE, it's been on my mind as something that would be a good left podcast discussion but I only ever hear Desolation Radio talk about it (cos they're academic types themselves I guess).

It’s going to come up a lot as the tories increasingly farm out their culture war poo poo to that domain, so look forward to more of it I guess!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've still yet to see a single leaflet from Labour for either GLA or Mayoral elections. Two from the Tories, one novella from the piss-drinker, one from the weirdo Rahman Rump telling me that I need to vote to keep a directly elected Tower Hamlets mayor (there's a referendum going on for that as well as the election). What's noticeable (as I'm at home to see it) is that all of the leaflets that have been delivered have been by the same guys who do the pizza leaflets and estate agent PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL US YOU HAVE ROOMS TO RENT solicitations. It's almost as though they local Labour party lack either the cash to pay a fiver per hundred leaflets or the volunteers to deliver them for free.

Round our way, I gather from a sly read of a closed local LP group which I'm a silent member of, there was some sort of dispute between whoever was being paid to deliver leaflets and their actual delivery. So it seems to me that CLPs have not had sufficient volunteers to distribute leaflets. I know a couple of corbynistas I have spoken to and who are still hanging on by a thread to labour party membership and who have previously done literally hundreds of hours of leafleting, stall staffing, canvassing etc, are not lifting a finger to help this time round - particularly as two very active local members were suspended for 'anti-semitism' for drawing up a motion supported by MANY in the local party inquiring as to why that Israeli guy was appointed social media monitor when surely in order to get work permits etc it has to be proven that there is no UK citizen capable of doing the job. (One of the suspendees quit in disgust at being suspended for anti-semitism when she is blatantly NOT, the other is still fighting it. A letter of support for the two persons signed by many long-standing members of the local party including anti-corbyns and a former MP of the blairite tendency was sent to HQ and no response as far as I know)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Remembered there was an actually pretty important local referendum so went back to vote - queue was even longer, but the reason was pretty special. I dunno how universal this is, I assume fairly so, but in times past the people doling out the papers would be divvied up by the first letter of the street/block to simplify checking off voters as they arrive.

However this time they've decided to divvy it up geographically, with one desk handling the entire estate that the station is in the middle of, and another desk handling all of the new developments around it, which you *might* be able to justify by saying there's roughly the same amount of houses, but there's a *very* different population both numerically and socially. This meant all the "luxury flat" lot got waved straight in, while a 20-person queue took half an hour to shuffle in.

Now I'm not saying this is both a deliberate attempt to open a two-tier voting system with the middle classes getting Business Class treatment, nor that this makes it much easier for ballots from certain people to be conveniently lost especially if the referenda* look like going the wrong way, but I can't come up with a single other explanation as to why they've done it this way.

* There were two - one I've already mentioned, to ditch the directly-elected mayor and basically permanently secure Labour having executive power in Tower Hamlets, and another one about adopting a new local planning system that looks good on the surface - limiting new developments outside of Canary Wharf proper and *finally* using the ~£1bn s.106 precepts that LBTH have hoarded to start building new actual proper council housing, but the devil is very much in the details, in particular that they absolutely refused to put in a guarantee that they wouldn't demolish or infill the existing council estates. The current council has a lot riding on both of these being passed and I definitely wouldn't be surprised at all if there were shenanigans to ensure it does.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spolied my ballot for the first time in my life. Voted for the trans lady running for local council, since she seems alright but the other two ballots got 'insufficient info available on candidates' scrawled across it in pen.

Didn't vote for the PCC because all of their statements were just buzzword garbage and promises to put police back on patrol (which is by far the least efficient use of officers imaginable). The labour canditate's entire argument was a list of official positions she's been in, and the independant candidate is responsible for this piece of baz cop insanity.

County council Labour candidates didn't even bother putting up a statement or any visible social media presence (one of them might have a paywalled linkedin), so no way to tell if either of them are good labour or starmerites.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I'm actually genuinely glad to hear this, you peeps have been a huge source of entertainment and info over lockdown and deserve to get paid for what you do.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ReelBigLizard posted:

The main issue afaik is the amount of time the French who receive licenses are allowed to fish in the waters, looks to me like the licenses seriously lowballed the allowable days, the French are claiming many have only 20-25% of the pre-brexit amount of fishing days.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

However this time they've decided to divvy it up geographically, with one desk handling the entire estate that the station is in the middle of, and another desk handling all of the new developments around it, which you *might* be able to justify by saying there's roughly the same amount of houses, but there's a *very* different population both numerically and socially. This meant all the "luxury flat" lot got waved straight in, while a 20-person queue took half an hour to shuffle in.

My local polling place also has two subsections, but they are always just divided by street name - those starting A-L on the left, and M-Z on the right.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

So yeah, I voted Green. Labour is always safe here in Liverpool so it really doesn't matter what I vote for.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saros posted:

The main issue afaik is the amount of time the French who receive licenses are allowed to fish in the waters, looks to me like the licenses seriously lowballed the allowable days, the French are claiming many have only 20-25% of the pre-brexit amount of fishing days.

So, this is only my read of it, but I've also heard that the French fishermen were aware of the allowable days for "months". The French fishing boats are very keen on turning their transponders off while fishing so other boats cant see where they're working. It is possible that they ignored the allowable days because they figured they were just going to turn them off and fish any old days they liked regardless because who would know.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lady Demelza posted:

I got back from the polling station just as a man was posting a "Don't forget to vote Labour!" card through the front door. He had a Labour tote bag so he probably is a volunteer.

I was the only person in the polling station. Couldn't get close enough to the table to see the lists where they cross people off, so couldn't say if they'd been busy earlier.

Lol if you live outside Nottingham this might have been me

(It's me, the guy who is still a simp for my local Labour party despite everything)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got to my polling station at 7 on the dot and the staff there had barely even started setting up. I had to wait outside for 5 minutes while they flailed around trying to get ready.
And then I almost missed my train as a result of their tardiness.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I voted TUSC in the end, couldn't vote for Labour or Green.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just voted Green across the board for the 1st time in my life :feelsgood:

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Julio Cruz posted:

god drat I keep seeing this argument around and I'm getting loving tired of it

particularly as France hasn't had a monarch for 150 years and yet there's this little palace in somewhere called Versailles that still seems to do pretty well tourist-wise

(I know you're not using it genuinely, I'm just venting really)

hahaha mad init.
Hell even I'd be more interested in going round Buckingham palace if it was a nice museum or something. So much space for one family.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Picking a council candidate turned out be easy as one of my friends is standing for the Greens. Turns out she's petrified of winning as the party strongarmed her into standing as there were no other suitable candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

Picking a council candidate turned out be easy as one of my friends is standing for the Greens. Turns out she's petrified of winning as the party strongarmed her into standing as there were no other suitable candidates.