Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Real Charlie Brown energy. "This time they won't move the football, I just know it!"

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1390313991046672385

Joe Manchin works in the Senate right? He's met Mitch McConnell before? I'm not thinking of a Joe Smanchin or somone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Josef bugman posted:

It's because the people who get the most het up about having to pay people wages have a lot more in common with people in the media willing to talk about how much trouble people "not wanting to work" is causing.

Any raise in the amount of money paid is seen as a loss by the people running things because that money is for them not for anyone else and the fact that you have a job at all should be enough. It's just desperate cruelty that is continually being repackaged.

It's also not helped by the fact that a business's success is no longer based on profit, but rather growth. It's not good enough that you made 1m in profit this quarter. If you made the same amount of profit LAST quarter, then the business is failing.

Raising wages cuts into profit and that's all the board cares about.

E: Thanks for this. I've added it to my queue to listen to while I work.

LeeMajors posted:

Citations Needed did a really great feature on this kind of nonsense (as usual).

https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1387434887871967233?s=20

The self-described party of personal responsibility bemoaning labor's rejection of the poverty-level wages they're offering is too perfect.

Maybe someone should give them the Econ 101 "haven't you ever heard of supply and demand :smug:" talk they've been smothering us all with for forty loving years.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Gaupo Guacho posted:

in this instance its not the police or white supremacists marauding about, assaulting elderly asian people with cinderblocks and hammers for the sheer sport of it. What would you prefer people do, appeal to their local Han, Viet or Korean ethnic militias for protection and justice?

also the idea that inter-ethnic tension has to be "manufactured" by white people is some nation of islam level tier thinking, as if non-whites lack the agency to be racistt entirely on their own. presumably the Armenian genocide and Japanese racism against Koreans and Chinese were also "manufactured" by the white devil. but sure, go off about people being "dog brained"

also, why the heck is Asian community in sarcasm quotes???

You ignored my deliberate use of the word exacerbate. Of course racial tension exists outside of white supremacy but are you seriously going to sit there and post how things like perpetuating the model minority myth does zero work to further stoke racial resentment? It's not a secret white supremacists effectively use "model minorities" to do racist poo poo then posture about how not racist they are.

And yes, "Asian community." Polling consistently shows a majority of Asian Americans support BLM and suddenly you have a bunch of out of touch, rich Asian celebrities going on TV speaking on our behalf about wanting even more murderous cops in the streets. Police as it currently exists and functions is not the loving answer.

Carew fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 6, 2021

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1390310947542257674

Yes Joe, everyone else is being fooled but you. Moron.

I mean Manchin said he would support the covid relief bill as long as there was bipartisan input, and then voted for it along with 0 republicans. I'm not sure why that would be Manchin falling for Republican bipartisanship bullshit, and not signaling to Republicans that he will keep voting for Democratic bills with no Republican input if they don't negotiate in good faith.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s never about raising wages it’s always blaming lazy people for not wanting to work your lovely rear end job for below poverty wages. When you get more help being on shitass welfare programs than your lovely rear end job then take a fuckin hint.
The hint they get is to pressure local/state governments to revoke whatever semblance of financial safety net these workers have and effectively force them back into their modern serf status.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Abner Assington posted:

The hint they get is to pressure local/state governments to revoke whatever semblance of financial safety net these workers have and effectively force them back into their modern serf status.

Heck, sometimes worse than serf status. Serfs were tied to the land but usually you had to feed/house them, or at least leave them free areas to do that. Now they want people to work whilst also increasing rents and food costs. It's perhaps two steps removed from company scrip.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's also not helped by the fact that a business's success is no longer based on profit, but rather growth. It's not good enough that you made 1m in profit this quarter. If you made the same amount of profit LAST quarter, then the business is failing.

Raising wages cuts into profit and that's all the board cares about.

E: Thanks for this. I've added it to my queue to listen to while I work.

It's also toxic to the business itself; it creates an incentive to burning out what the business is fundamentally good at. Do you make lightbulbs? Then you need to make them worse so that more people will buy. Do you make slippers? Then you need to push higher-end versions until people get bored of your brand. Do you make phones? Then you need to build obsolescence into your support policies and into your repair policies - hence why we get poo poo like how swapping a brand new iPhone's camera with another brand new iPhone's camera will gently caress it up.

The growth incentive is destructive to a given business and to the environment in which it exists.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

James Garfield posted:

I mean Manchin said he would support the covid relief bill as long as there was bipartisan input, and then voted for it along with 0 republicans. I'm not sure why that would be Manchin falling for Republican bipartisanship bullshit, and not signaling to Republicans that he will keep voting for Democratic bills with no Republican input if they don't negotiate in good faith.

Machin is there to be the fig leaf that both he and Biden can point to. Machin keeps saying work with us, the Republicans say no, Democrats say we tried and move on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Machin is there to be the fig leaf that both he and Biden can point to. Machin keeps saying work with us, the Republicans say no, Democrats say we tried and move on.

We'll see what happens with the infrastructure stuff, they almost got him on the UI amendments on ARP.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Machin? What, is West Virginia arpitan now?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

letthereberock posted:

This is EVERY conversation I have with my Trumper father in law. Not just the I unwillingness, but the utter annoyance and contempt that anyone would even ask them to back up any of their Fox News talking points seems universal among rich white Republicans. I used to make fun of Reps for confusing anecdotes with evidence, but at this point they can’t even be bothered to provide anecdotes!
and the smugness. "i knew you would ask for 'evidence' and 'facts' :smuggo: :smuggo: lol! just like a liberal!"
and, somehow, you've lost.
it's the same with my chud boss, each and every thing i say has to be backed up with sworn affidavits, video proof, and i have to know every detail down to what everyone had for breakfast that morning or everything is all liberal lies. meanwhile he'll spurt out some half remembered facebook headline and suddenly it's gospel that "joe biden something something steals hamburgers!! what about THAT???"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Machin? What, is West Virginia arpitan now?

Secretly, we know the French's imperialist tendencies will emerge.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

We'll see what happens with the infrastructure stuff, they almost got him on the UI amendments on ARP.

The Dems should 100% slam the republican 600 Billion offer into a bill and put it up for a vote. Don't try and fix poo poo wording or anything, just make them actually follow through on it. They won't and then you can go, 'See we did the bipartisan!' and put everything you want into a reconciliation bill.

Even if the Rs do somehow manage to vote for their own plan then just put the rest of what the left wants into a reconciliation bill anyway.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Apparently Trump was trying to get back on twitter again to publish the memos from his blog. Oh wait, sorry, his "new social media platform" :laffo: https://twitter.com/DJTDesk and https://twitter.com/FTDODJT

I saw this mentioned as a NY Post headline, but I don't want to link to them.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kalit posted:

Apparently Trump was trying to get back on twitter again to publish the memos from his blog. Oh wait, sorry, his "new social media platform" :laffo: https://twitter.com/DJTDesk and https://twitter.com/FTDODJT

Here's a somewhat more trustworthy source, POLITICO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

InsertPotPun posted:

and the smugness. "i knew you would ask for 'evidence' and 'facts' :smuggo: :smuggo: lol! just like a liberal!"
and, somehow, you've lost.
it's the same with my chud boss, each and every thing i say has to be backed up with sworn affidavits, video proof, and i have to know every detail down to what everyone had for breakfast that morning or everything is all liberal lies. meanwhile he'll spurt out some half remembered facebook headline and suddenly it's gospel that "joe biden something something steals hamburgers!! what about THAT???"

Things have been so batshit insane for the entirety of the Trump years that I've lost every bit of my ability to marshal coherent thoughts and arguments or even anecdotes, in much the same way that the right-wingers have honestly. To me, every. single. thing is just so unutterably stupid and mind-boggling and infuriating on its very face that to even try to CHOOSE a thing to lead off with, a single headline of "What Trump Did" to open my argument with a salvo strong enough that I won't have to worry about getting bogged down in dumb details, puts me right into vapor-lock and all I can do is flail around wildly pointing in all directions and stammering. And then I look like the disorganized, shallow-thinking one. It's to the point where I legitimately think I'm getting stupider. I can't even think of vocabulary words or type straight anymore and I'm starting to worry that I'm legit losing my mind.

I think on their side they're in much the same situation, really. They're being fed so many wild lies on the nightly news, so many accusations of roiling, prima-facie evil that they can't imagine anyone being on the other side without themselves being evil — all the evidence is ALL AROUND THEM, JUST LOOK GOD DAMMIT, exactly the same way I would say it. So they're shutting down and walking away smugly just as I would be. Nobody actually wants to have a discussion because a) they're so dumbstruck at the very idea of their opponent not being a bad-faith actor on the face of it, and b) the evidence in your favor is just so pervasive and self-evident that there's no point in bothering trying to explain it, because nothing you say can be more convincing than just looking around yourself.

I live in constant fear of ever actually getting into one of these arguments with someone who's able to gish-gallop me with these talking points before I'm able to get even one of mine out of my mouth in a coherent way, never mind being able to defend it when challenged with some out-of-left-field thing like the stealing hamburgers bit that I'd never even have dreamed of having to counter. Greek toga-clad senatorial discourse in bilateral search for truth this sure as gently caress ain't

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalit posted:

Lol already suspended, lmao

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Lol already suspended, lmao

I think trump and his cronies 100% expected to be back on Facebook, and they're pretty upset about it. Trump did the vast, vast majority of his fundraising on Facebook.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kalit posted:

That's what, 5 or 6 reregs now? He had a few right after the permaban too. I would think that the more he tries this the less likely twitter is to reinstate him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1390305910266818569

You know what a good way to ensure that the press won't discuss the actual mechanics and consequences of legislation and instead whine about how important they are and how unfair this is to the delight of Republicans nationwide? Bar them from a relatively meaningless ceremony where any questions they asked would've been sneeringly dismissed anyway.

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1390306027724320768

You simply hate to see it.

:lol:

"I will never stop posting. You can't stop me!"

"...Aren't you permabanned user "@RealDonaldTrump?"

..."VOTER FRAUD! DO SOMETHING! WHY NOT DONE?!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm often discomfited by how often these "debates" over facebook and twitter bans among the most powerful members of our society resemble QCS interforum slapfight threads. "Mods? Mods????" cries the President of the United States of America.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"* Note: Not Donald J. Trump Tweeting"

I'm howling because he absolutely wrote that himself.

Nagual
Dec 16, 2003
Barum?-Dorum!
So, hooray for the American bureaucracy. My mum and dad, both German citizens living in Germany, received their $1400 economic impact payment checks from the United States Treasury this week. Nobody has the slightest clue why. (But, my mum worked in the US for a year or so in the 60s and gets a $50 a month or so US pension because of it). Just thought you guys might like that story.

What do you think would happen if they actually just cashed them in? (I doubt they will, they'd feel like thieves.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nagual posted:

So, hooray for the American bureaucracy. My mum and dad, both German citizens living in Germany, received their $1400 economic impact payment checks from the United States Treasury this week. Nobody has the slightest clue why. (But, my mum worked in the US for a year or so in the 60s and gets a $50 a month or so US pension because of it). Just thought you guys might like that story.

What do you think would happen if they actually just cashed them in? (I doubt they will, they'd feel like thieves.)

Please don't let Tucker Carlson hear about this

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nagual posted:

Oh they'd be just fine. Not their fault somebody wrote them a check. There's not even a mechanism by which the government could seek recompense, even if they found out and wanted to.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

VA GOP Gubernatorial candidate Amanda Chase update: she really is Trump in Heels
https://twitter.com/rorycooper/status/1390105059384561667

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mdemone posted:

"* Note: Not Donald J. Trump Tweeting"

I'm howling because he absolutely wrote that himself.

That is the funniest part of all of this. He might as well be a ban evading goon in like 2007 :allears:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Murgos posted:

The Dems should 100% slam the republican 600 Billion offer into a bill and put it up for a vote. Don't try and fix poo poo wording or anything, just make them actually follow through on it. They won't and then you can go, 'See we did the bipartisan!' and put everything you want into a reconciliation bill.

Even if the Rs do somehow manage to vote for their own plan then just put the rest of what the left wants into a reconciliation bill anyway.
The only problem is that there isn't actually a bill. There's a vague proposal that some indeterminate number of Republican Senators might support a bill in that range, coming from a member of the bipartisan Gang of 8 and not actually being supported by any of the Senate Republican leadership.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone else mildly concerned about this Liz Cheney thing? Sure, :letthemfight: and all but she at least admits Trump lost, and the election was above board.

I know the chuds are a dumpster fire and all, but I dunno of their civil war is fun anymore.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Youth Decay posted:

VA GOP Gubernatorial candidate Amanda Chase update: she really is Trump in Heels

"Make the Democrats pay for it" is a level of astonishing (wilful) ignorance that transcends even "Mexico will pay for the wall." :shepface:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone else mildly concerned about this Liz Cheney thing? Sure, :letthemfight: and all but she at least admits Trump lost, and the election was above board.

I know the chuds are a dumpster fire and all, but I dunno of their civil war is fun anymore.

its not great and it bodes poorly for what happens in 2022/2024 in any state with republicans in charge of the voting apparatus

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It's something nobody on our side of the aisle really has control over and we kinda just have to watch their purges play out from the audience, and adjust our own game plans accordingly.

It's not like if anybody on the left defended Cheney it would make the GOP stop moving towards full totalitarianism now. Hell they will remove her faster because it will "Own the Libs".

It is becoming imperative though that SR 1 passes.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 6, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JordanKai posted:

"Make the Democrats pay for it" is a level of astonishing (wilful) ignorance that transcends even "Mexico will pay for the wall." :shepface:

Who constitutes "the democrats" in this plan?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It means some slightly middle of the road 90s Republicans won't vote, which is a good thing. The more insane the Right gets, the more they will be forced to rely solely on clueless boomer Facebook idiots, which is a dying demographic. Absolutely letthemfight, it's all reactionaries know how to do and the infighting saps some of their energy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Data Graham posted:

Things have been so batshit insane for the entirety of the Trump years that I've lost every bit of my ability to marshal coherent thoughts and arguments or even anecdotes, in much the same way that the right-wingers have honestly. To me, every. single. thing is just so unutterably stupid and mind-boggling and infuriating on its very face that to even try to CHOOSE a thing to lead off with, a single headline of "What Trump Did" to open my argument with a salvo strong enough that I won't have to worry about getting bogged down in dumb details, puts me right into vapor-lock and all I can do is flail around wildly pointing in all directions and stammering. And then I look like the disorganized, shallow-thinking one. It's to the point where I legitimately think I'm getting stupider. I can't even think of vocabulary words or type straight anymore and I'm starting to worry that I'm legit losing my mind.

I think on their side they're in much the same situation, really. They're being fed so many wild lies on the nightly news, so many accusations of roiling, prima-facie evil that they can't imagine anyone being on the other side without themselves being evil — all the evidence is ALL AROUND THEM, JUST LOOK GOD DAMMIT, exactly the same way I would say it. So they're shutting down and walking away smugly just as I would be. Nobody actually wants to have a discussion because a) they're so dumbstruck at the very idea of their opponent not being a bad-faith actor on the face of it, and b) the evidence in your favor is just so pervasive and self-evident that there's no point in bothering trying to explain it, because nothing you say can be more convincing than just looking around yourself.

I live in constant fear of ever actually getting into one of these arguments with someone who's able to gish-gallop me with these talking points before I'm able to get even one of mine out of my mouth in a coherent way, never mind being able to defend it when challenged with some out-of-left-field thing like the stealing hamburgers bit that I'd never even have dreamed of having to counter. Greek toga-clad senatorial discourse in bilateral search for truth this sure as gently caress ain't

It's basically the evolution of...I wanna say LBJ? This seems like a him thing I'm about to go on about...the evolution of the whole "call him a horse fucker. Doesn't matter that it isn't true, he'll still have to fight the claim."
It's just that with the ease of access to media outlets, they can simultaneously accuse their enemies of horse fuckery, along with sheep, cows, chickens, and anything else to distract from the real issues.

Plus that lovely debate tactic where you make one broad declarative bullshit statement, and then keep gradually walking it back until you're arguing over something hyper-specific and only barely related to the original argument.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Taxpayers. Since the majority of them are democrats, anything taken from public funds is making democrats pay for it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

Has there been any attempts to address the fact that man of the perpetrators of recent anti-Asian violence have been ethnic minorities themselves? I do not see it mentioned anywhere, particularly in liberal and leftist spaces. I was even probated in an earlier version of this thread for even suggesting it. Many of the attacks against Asian-Americans committed in the last seven days were committed by demonstrably non-white assailants. I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here other than the fact that this feels like a form of outright "erasure" as people often put it.

Basically you're buying into a white supremacist narrative because white people are far and away the most common perpetrators of racial violence but are also less likely to get caught for that or to have their acts described as racial violence.

Much like that queer black girl in Mass. who got lynched the other day and police refuse to even describe it as such.

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1372270835302592521

Every time you see anything described as "actually minorities are worse about this than white people" you should be on high alert that you are getting fed a smokescreen for a thing that white people are actually worse on.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Data Graham posted:

i've literally never listened to joe biden speak but every time i say "come on!" my boss says "you sound just like joe biden" but i'll say things like "i don't think trump handled the virus well" and he'll respond with "no one could have done better!!!" and all i have to say is "everyone else did, come on!"
it's like arguing with someone pointing at the sky and saying it's pink. i don't really have any arguments besides pointing

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My guess would be, much like southern cops who say Democrats rather than n*****s, African-Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

"I promised to make the header red and I can tell my fellow Virginians today....Promises made...Promises kept"