Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hello, I know zilch about this game but I got it because it sounds interesting.

It's just that, all these skills are confusing. I tried looking at a guide but all the descriptions just made me more confused and nervous about loving myself over.
Are there any poo poo skills I should avoid?

Drama sounds cool. Basically anything Intellect and Psyche sound like my preferred playstyle in WRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

It's just that, all these skills are confusing. I tried looking at a guide but all the descriptions just made me more confused and nervous about loving myself over.

Drama sounds cool. Basically anything Intellect and Psyche sound like my preferred playstyle in WRPGs.
Read the skills and pick what sounds interesting to you. Don't worry about it. You won't see everything and that's okay.

You might find it interesting to go hard against your usual practices. Or not!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NikkolasKing posted:

You can't gently caress yourself over. Failing forward is part of the game. Just pick whichever skills sound fun and roll with it.

Two newbie tips for you though:

Your health and morale are above your portrait. Running out of either is a game over, but the game gives you a few seconds to activate a healing item before you die. The buttons for these are above their respective displays. IIRC the maximums for each are dictated by Endurance and Volition respectively. If you only have 1 in either of these skills you'll want to keep in mind that taking a hit in that one will be a game over if you don't have any healing for it.

Make sure you have enough money to pay for your room on day 2 and do so as early as you can. Not having the money by the end of the day is a game over.

e: Don't think of them as skills in the normal RPG sense. They're more like aspects of your personality.
e2: I also highly recommend playing this game as blind as possible and would encourage you to avoid guides and also this thread until you finish it.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 6, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
White checks can be retried once you level up the skill or sometimes if you do something or talk to someone that gives a modifier to the roll.

Red checks cannot be retried and you may decide not to do them for the most part if you don’t have good odds but also don’t be afraid to go for it anyway since often a failure on those is just an... alternative success

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I honestly didn't know this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaum

Was it brought up in the thread at some point?

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Disco_Elysium

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I just finished my first run of the game today. I really enjoyed it and I’m glad SA brought it to my attention! I have a question about replayability though: at the end, when you ask “who am I?” is the answer always the same? It drew a link between my game actions and the answer, so I’m wondering whether that’s after the fact justifying or whether the answer is actually determined by how I played, and I can go back and try to get different answers. Or is the replay value just in passing obstacles with different skillsets and seeing new and different text and details?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

I just finished my first run of the game today. I really enjoyed it and I’m glad SA brought it to my attention! I have a question about replayability though: at the end, when you ask “who am I?” is the answer always the same? It drew a link between my game actions and the answer, so I’m wondering whether that’s after the fact justifying or whether the answer is actually determined by how I played, and I can go back and try to get different answers. Or is the replay value just in passing obstacles with different skillsets and seeing new and different text and details?

It's the latter. The detective's history is set and his past is his past. He will always be a former gym teacher, always be completely hosed up by his girlfriend leaving him, etc, etc. The difference comes from the different skills contributing in different ways and in the way people react to your different approaches.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

As above, it mostly remains the same, that being said there are differences political alignment and copotype are always things you had before the blackout and affect what you used to scream at people, I remember at least.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm editing my save (raising int and lowering motorics, art cop forever), and I noticed that the json calls Physique "fysique" with the abbreviation "FYS". I assume they did this to make it more clearly distinct from Psyche (PSY) for the developers? It's a nice touch.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Could just be because Estonian terms like that use "f" instead of "ph".

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Just had a weird glitch. Had a thought bubble appear but it was just the white ring, with no thought to press, and it wouldn't go away. Then when I tried to load my last autosave it somehow loaded the final part of my previous run right at the climax and ignored all my other saves?

Fortunately I had a recent enough save point to load from.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Failure is a normal thing in this game and there are ways to progress almost regardless of how many checks you fail- there's also a lot of content you ONLY see if you fail rolls. So don't stress it too much.

If you want to know how skills generally work: Your skills basically are all parts of your character's personality that chime in with their OPINIONS based on the passive checks they make or fail. They're not infallible however- and their input can be unhelpful (or flat out wrong) even at very high levels. Some skills will flat out give you bad advice on a more regular basis if you pump them really hard so they're passing all these hidden background stat checks when you're talking to people or making observations.

Electrochemistry at medium levels will pester you to get drunk and high, but can let you spot that someone is on drugs and even make accurate guesses as to what drugs they're on. At very high levels electrochemistry will basically be screaming at you to get hosed up when you pass a cigarette butt on the ground.
Authority can make useful suggestions about when you need to stand your ground and well, assert your authority. At high levels it'll constantly be butting in to tell you to dominate everyone and be a complete loving prick- to the point you may miss the times it's actually a good time to square up and take charge.
Encyclopedia will give you useful background information off and on, and details/trivia that can be useful. At super high levels it will deluge you in absolutely pointless minutia at every single turn.
etc. etc.

So unlike some roleplaying games, pumping a stat too hard can actually make it something of a detriment! But that's also part of the fun.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NewMars posted:

As above, it mostly remains the same, that being said there are differences political alignment and copotype are always things you had before the blackout and affect what you used to scream at people, I remember at least.

Wait, so what happens if you were say, a sorrycop or a boringcop with no other copotypes? And are you able to avoid having a political alignment? I'dbe interestedto know what kinds of things Harry had screamed at people, in those cases. Aside from apologies I guess, if he's a sorrycop :D

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've turned Egghead into an ultra liberal and a communist, but I really do want to know what Hardcore centrism is like. I bet it's amazing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've turned Egghead into an ultra liberal and a communist, but I really do want to know what Hardcore centrism is like. I bet it's amazing.

INCREMENTAL PROGRESS! YEAAAAAAAAH!

Yes, that's the line.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

https://imgur.com/a/OEM7FKv

Can't remember who please believe I'm straight is?

Still feelin' a strong Harry alignment.

Edit: Also can't remember how to embed the image rather than the imgur link...sigh

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2021

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Well, no wonder he gave it up, if you need that much Conceptualization to see what's cool about it.

Remember, cats and kittens, there are no cool things. Only normal things done for normal reasons by cool people.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Okay this keeps happening: I'm getting the thought ring with no ability to click on it and it just sticks around for ages, and I can't interact with any thoughts. It takes me closing out of the game and reopening it to fix. Any ideas on this bug? I'm on PC and I didn't experience it before the final cut.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, so what happens if you were say, a sorrycop or a boringcop with no other copotypes? And are you able to avoid having a political alignment? I'dbe interestedto know what kinds of things Harry had screamed at people, in those cases. Aside from apologies I guess, if he's a sorrycop :D

Well I don't know about political alignment, but with sorry cop you scream about how you're such a worthless fuckup and with boring cop you kept yelling that you were just so boring that you should kill yourself.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Desdinova posted:

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

https://imgur.com/a/OEM7FKv

Can't remember who please believe I'm straight is?

Still feelin' a strong Harry alignment.

Edit: Also can't remember how to embed the image rather than the imgur link...sigh

that's Glen, of the Hardies. he plays up the masculinity because he's closeted. if he dies during the tribunal, Titus will mention it in passing (fondly speaking of "that big homo" as I recall).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Does anyone know how to drink the molotov cocktail during the tribunal? Or is that a hoax, and you outright can't?

UP AND ADAM posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't think you can drink it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Does anyone know how to drink the molotov cocktail during the tribunal? Or is that a hoax, and you outright can't?

I don't know how or whether you can get it in actuality, but entry 8 in this (spoilers) does at least suggest there is text for it in the files.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It was what you said. Kim dressed up as a hooker, full drag. Distracted him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know how or whether you can get it in actuality, but entry 8 in this (spoilers) does at least suggest there is text for it in the files.
I mean, the game does tell you that "substances" (i.e, tools like drugs and alcohol) can be administered during dialog. Does anyone know how?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I'm guessing this is a case of having it be the only booze in hand when you click the drink button during conversation. Let me load an old save and find out.

Edit: Oooh, it's not even equippable. Huh. And its not drinkable once the tie is in it... but I can.. I WILL... figure this out...

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 6, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I'm guessing this is a case of having it be the only booze in hand when you click the drink button during conversation. Let me load an old save and find out.

Edit: Oooh, it's not even equippable. Huh.
The spirit bomb (complete with tie) is equippable, the bottle on its own is not. But clicking on the spirit bomb while its equipped doesn't seem to do anything.

Also - failing to dodge the first shot during the Tribunal hits you for 2 damage. But you don't have a limited time to use a healing item - the game just waits and waits. Wonder what happens if you don't have any healing - a softlock or a unique death?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 6, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Xander77 posted:

I mean, the game does tell you that "substances" (i.e, tools like drugs and alcohol) can be administered during dialog. Does anyone know how?

Hold a drug in either your left hand or right hand, and you can blast it at any point during a conversation. You can only be affected a specific drug for 60 minutes at a time; you cannot chug 4 uses of wine at once for a mega stat boost. Because you have two hands, you can also blast TWO different drugs at once, like speed in one hand and smokes in the other. It is what ElectroChemistry wants you to doat any opportunity.

But NOT the blue spirits, that is NOT an "equipment" item, it is to be indulged purely by your necktie(if you have not betrayed it!!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are you kidding me?

Opening the ledger on the island teleports you to Kim's motor-carriage. How is that something no one else tried thus far?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I need to figure out how you get the finger-guns thought, I got it on my first playthrough but not sure how.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to figure out how you get the finger-guns thought, I got it on my first playthrough but not sure how.

I'm pretty sure I got it after talking to that vendor guy selling bootleg stuff the back of his truck, maybe? I don't recall his name, but he had sunnies on IIRC :ocelot:
(NOTE: I might be way off, here. It's been a while)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pass a Composure check to play along with Siileng when first talking to him

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Looking through the script in Disco Reader has really given me a sense of how big the game is and how much work must have gone into it. The search is a bit buggy though so i just ctrl-f in the big database dump it uses (https://transfer.sh/yjvnr/database.json), which also has afaik basically everything that triggers thoughts etc as a result of dialogue (which is not shown in the disco reader).

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm feeling kinda frustrated because I lost a few hours to bugs + my Day 1 has been similar to my last clear even with me taking some different routes just because I'm getting/failing the same checks more or less, having really bad luck with white checks, and I don't really feel like I'm unlocking a lot of new dialogue yet (probably cause I haven't got enough skill points in to really differentiate the last time.) My tie isn't even talking to me :( Do you think it'd be worth doing a save edit just to pump up the stats a bit?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you want to have your tie talk to you you need to start with at least Inland Empire 4 IIRC. If it's not talking to you immediately it will never do that, so if that's your goal then you should restart immediately.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
gosh darn it, i've gotta restart.

ETA: :( and now despite following all the guides I seem to be missing a step when it comes to editing the save file to just give me 6 across the board. Honestly getting grumpy. I loved my first playthrough but the final cut's been buggy as hell for me + apparently I didn't stat up different enough cause basically all the dialogue I've gotten is the same/basically failed or passed all the same checks I did the last few times, which has made the bugs making me have to replay sections three or more times severely unfun + didn't even get the tie talking to me when that's one of the Big Differences I wanted to try. Any chance someone can just upload a zip of a 6 in everything day 1 save so I can copy it? I found a save that works but it's pre-final cut and I just want the new content.

I wish to roleplay Harry, not to experience as many failures as him IRL ok.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 7, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh man, Cuno actually accompanies you this time around.

Has anyone found any spots where he has new dialog?

Anyone get to the endgame evaluation and feel the need to bail? Thankfully, there's a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JCgwJU6Eg

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Oh man, Cuno actually accompanies you this time around.

Has anyone found any spots where he has new dialog?

"accompanies"? does he actually walk with you instead of just meeting you at the island?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm finally starting this up and thanks for the earlier replies everyone.

I chose 4/4/3/1

Is there any point to having a super high starting attribute? Like middle to slightly above average seems the smart thing to do while going for a 6 is a waste of preciously limited points.

Also why can't I just tell my partner guy I have no memory of anything? It's like the start of the second Ace Attorney game where Phoenix refuses to just say "Judge, I have a concussion and remember nothing about anything, can we please stop for now?" He's asking me all these questions about the case and I can't just say "...I got no fuckin' clue."
EDIT: No wait you can do that a few dialogue options in. Oh well.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm finally starting this up and thanks for the earlier replies everyone.

I chose 4/4/3/1

Is there any point to having a super high starting attribute? Like middle to slightly above average seems the smart thing to do while going for a 6 is a waste of preciously limited points.

Also why can't I just tell my partner guy I have no memory of anything? It's like the start of the second Ace Attorney game where Phoenix refuses to just say "Judge, I have a concussion and remember nothing about anything, can we please stop for now?" He's asking me all these questions about the case and I can't just say "...I got no fuckin' clue."

Going for a stat specialist right out of the gate is always fun and interesting, can hit Challenging passives early on. And most notably in day 1 6 or more Pain Threshold can make you endure the union's torture chair and you can heal off a lot of damage from failed checks and/or stupid decisions, while 6 or more Volition also can make you outright avoid sitting. Plus 6 in motorics means you have a much better shot :smug: or getting the body out of the tree, which is one of the best successes you can make, and/or sneaking into the harbor

Balanced runs are also totally legit, so don't fret.