Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You're probably best off getting it digitally since it seems to be out of print, as are some of the other collections. Probably since this is coming out in November to time with the show:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hawkeye-Fr...20216822&sr=8-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Major Isoor posted:

I'll look it up, thanks! (Just about to go to bed, is all)

...Also uh, sorry if this isn't strictly-speaking the thread to ask, but where can I actually BUY the hawkeye collection? (In in Australia btw, so anywhere that ships internationally for a non-extortionate amount's fine by me, heh)

Since I've googled around a bit, but it seems like the only copy I can find is an international secondhand copy selling for just over $200 plus shipping. Looks like everywhere that lists it for sale down here is out of stock...

Hopefully an Australian goon can help you, but otherwise I'm gonna say get a tablet and go digital.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I looked it up just to be sure, and it seems that there is no Hawkeye by Matt Fraction Complete Collection. That's a surprising omission, but it does mean the series is going to be hard to find. I'll echo what the others have said: going digital is probably your best bet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Party Boat posted:

Last night I read the first few issues of Incredible Hulk (1962) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. They're just pure sci fi pulp and there's a fantastic purity about that. I'm not sure if I'll read the full run of Tales to Astonish or just skip to where the Hulk gets reintroduced but I like the idea of slowly reading my way through Hulk history.

You're in for a treat when you get to Herb Trimpe's run. It's so influential and honestly lays down a lot of what we think of when we think of Hulk that even today people still pull from it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Party Boat posted:

Fraction's Hawkeye run was one of the first things I read when I got an Unlimited sub and yeah it basically stands alone from everything else. There are a couple of characters from other comics but their deal is always explained in a way that doesn't assume prior knowledge. It's mostly just a story about an idiot guy who shoots a bow and his good good dog.

Last night I read the first few issues of Incredible Hulk (1962) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. They're just pure sci fi pulp and there's a fantastic purity about that. I'm not sure if I'll read the full run of Tales to Astonish or just skip to where the Hulk gets reintroduced but I like the idea of slowly reading my way through Hulk history.

Those first 6 issues of Hulk are batshit crazy and really fun to read. Stan and Jack had no idea what they wanted to do with the character so they changed the premise every issue. One issue he only changes at night, then the next he’s the Hulk with Bruce Banner’s brain. He flies in one issue and can’t fly the next. Grey in the first issue, green in the second. Rick Jones has mind control over him at one point. The Hulk had Banner’s head on a Hulk body at one point!! It’s pure silver age sci-fi silliness.

The Astonish run is pretty forgettable until you get towards the halfway point. After that it keeps getting better and really takes off when he gets his own title again. There’s honestly not a prolonged bad run up until Peter David got a little too cutesy in the mid 90s, but it bounces back quick. 70s and 80s Hulk is always a fun read and there’s seemingly a guest star or new villain in every single issue

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The one where he just takes off and flies is fantastic, partially because it has zero bearing on the story but they were so excited about it that they put it right on the cover with a soldier yelling about it directly to the reader.

You've all got me hyped for more Hulk now. Other than the issues of Immortal Hulk on Unlimited I've only read Planet Hulk / World War Hulk so I'm hoping to understand a bit more of the history Ewing keeps dipping into for Immortal. I enjoyed Planet Hulk for the full on Conan styling of Hulk forging his warband and becoming emperor, but fridging his wife like two days later was a bit of a sour note and World War Hulk didn't get me quite as interested, even if I do have a soft spot for Amadeus Cho being a know-it-all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love stories where one character is stuck in an alternate/altered world and knows something's wrong and Heroes Reborn is pressing all the right buttons for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
coulsen works better as a jingoist villain than an inexplicable super spy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The scene with Nighthawk and Blade was great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not sure how I feel about the retcon to America Chavez's origin in this new mini. The book does flow nicely and feels more structurally sound than her previous solo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

Not sure how I feel about the retcon to America Chavez's origin in this new mini.

If its not just a fakeout it sucks really bad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Please spoil it, I pretty much only get trades these days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the space lesbian moms she literally met and interacted with in the last series were actually a fantasy she hallucinated for reasons not really explained, and she's just the daughter of two normal women who teamed up with generic crazy science white guy villain because america has some sort of disease they wanted to save her from

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well gently caress that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah, if it's not a misdirect it's straight up garbo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, it sucks and I'll catch up on the rest of that America mini when it hits Unlimited, even if it's a fakeout it's not worth my cash.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I somehow missed that there even was an America Chavez mini going on.

That character just can't catch a break.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Was that origin created for the Gabby Rivera book or did it exist before it?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

Well gently caress that.

Oof, agreed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The sky is blue, gravity points down, and America still has no good solo stories.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nilbop posted:

Was that origin created for the Gabby Rivera book or did it exist before it?

I am shameful person who has not read young avengers, but I was under the impression Rivera created America's origin story in her run

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I am shameful person who has not read young avengers, but I was under the impression Rivera created America's origin story in her run

No, it was in Young Avengers (V2) #14.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is what I get for not having read YA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really good! Go read it!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

the space lesbian moms she literally met and interacted with in the last series were actually a fantasy she hallucinated for reasons not really explained, and she's just the daughter of two normal women who teamed up with generic crazy science white guy villain because america has some sort of disease they wanted to save her from

Man, it's a shame that this plot doesn't really work, because the art of that book is really beautiful.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 6, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

It's really good! Go read it!

I know i know, it's sitting on my tablet along with the other 200 books I haven't gotten to yet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I know i know, it's sitting on my tablet along with the other 200 books I haven't gotten to yet

It's literally only 14 issues and has gorgeous Jamie McKelvie art.

And it's super gay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What about the first volume

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

What about the first volume

Almost completely unrelated. It's not bad though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original series is good but really is showing it's age. Children's Crusade is absolute rear end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Actually one funny thing about that America retcon:
It's basically the exact opposite of the recent one about Captain Marvels mother.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I don't even particularly like America Chavez [I find it literally impossible to take anything that came from Vengeance seriously.] but even I am looking sideways at that. It's feels like when Byrne had Vision torn apart on page and completely took away his emotions because he's just a stupid robot man. Like someone is taking a character down a few pegs for no reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You absolutely do not need to read any previous Young Avengers book to understand the Gillen/McKelvie version. It's actually probably even easier now to understand it because the main characters are so awesome they've shown up in a bunch of other stuff so there's more cultural osmosis.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marvel make this a canon costume

https://twitter.com/ChainsawManShot/status/1390003372779003905?s=20

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the America retcon is bad so I hope it's a misdirection. I've liked the story until all that. But the art is fantastic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't been reading it so I didn't know what was happening, but what? seriously?

Yeah Harry digs up like nine friends of Spider-Man who have died and puts them at the table along with all the new spider powered friends captured (who were turned into weird monsters the issue before) and spends a whole issue killing and resurrecting spider-man telling him to confess for being to blame for everyone there but he won't do it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It was better when Carnage did it and Kaine was the Defense Attorney.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rick posted:

Yeah Harry digs up like nine friends of Spider-Man who have died and puts them at the table along with all the new spider powered friends captured (who were turned into weird monsters the issue before) and spends a whole issue killing and resurrecting spider-man telling him to confess for being to blame for everyone there but he won't do it.

This is comic book nonsense in the worst, most disposable sense.

Doesn’t help that I’ve read it and the prose is just Spencer trash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spencer is one of those writers who not only has bad ideas and writes poorly, but I'd go as far as to say that his work damages the characters involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mulva posted:

I don't even particularly like America Chavez [I find it literally impossible to take anything that came from Vengeance seriously.] but even I am looking sideways at that. It's feels like when Byrne had Vision torn apart on page and completely took away his emotions because he's just a stupid robot man. Like someone is taking a character down a few pegs for no reason.
That was to honour the intent of the original creators! Pay no attention to 'Even An Android Can Cry', his second appearance!

Rick posted:

I think it's more he wants Pete to confess to One More Day, but events got in the way.

I think I'm the one person who still likes Spencer's ASM. His Cap run is hot garbage, but I like his Spidey.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 7, 2021