Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't know yet. I first will have to finish TNG (almost done with S6) and then continue with all the TNG movies. And then I'll finally be able to watch The One with the Whales again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

ST4 is probably the worst of the three even-numbered flicks, but it's still pretty good. Humor can work in Star Trek, but it really has to be used sparingly. They unwisely attempted to do comedy bits again right away in ST5, but of course they mostly ended up misfiring. Fortunately, they seem to have learned their lesson after that, as ST6 was right back to dead serious.

Has there been any other movie series that changed time as much as the Trek ones did?

Maybe Bond, but even there the big tonal shifts tended to come with different actors.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

A couple of days ago I got bored and decided to rip a bunch of assets out of the TNGTMCD and other ones and make them digestible online: it's rushed and probably buggy, but it's still neat to take a look at:

STARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR TREK IN THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DEGREES

For whatever reason nothing but the background loads in for me when I visit your page.
I dug around your github and found the 360 images from other series that are new to me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.facebook.com/chiefmilesobrien/

Some of these are great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/BrdyDesign/status/1390287920884506624

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is... It just a spiral? Are the icecaps gone? What?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

lol I didn't even notice the ice caps I was too busy focusing on the deconstructed toilet paper roll ship

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It flies by flapping the saucer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just picture it corkscrewing faster and faster until it zots into warp

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Still more futuristic than anything shown in Discovery's future amirite

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

For whatever reason nothing but the background loads in for me when I visit your page.

drat, if you want to can you PM the console error, if there is one?

quote:

I dug around your github and found the 360 images from other series that are new to me.

Yeah, I'll hook 'em up at some point, but the Discovery ones are available here. The JJ one movie site went offline, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 6, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wait. I just realized that it's actually a G. The Enterprise G is going to be a G.

I'm sort of interested in a design lineage that takes the letter designation into account. That'll get weird down the line for sure.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Wait. I just realized that it's actually a G. The Enterprise G is going to be a G.

I'm sort of interested in a design lineage that takes the letter designation into account. That'll get weird down the line for sure.

Gonna go into some Swedish letters for Disco times. Ready for detached Enterprise Ö and Å. Or just go full ت since it looks like a boat already

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
We all know one day CBS will decide to modernize trek ship designs again, and have model names like Sisqo X and be colored red and black.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Brawnfire posted:

To be fair, I could totally buy that in Star Trek they could terraform earth to the point of making Antartica temperate without affecting the rest of the planet SOMEHOW. Their terraforming tech is bananas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sanguinia posted:

To be fair, I could totally buy that in Star Trek they could terraform earth to the point of making Antartica temperate without affecting the rest of the planet SOMEHOW. Their terraforming tech is bananas.
I'm not sure the right science words to say that, but that looks like Antarctica much nearer to the equator than it actually is. Presumably this is a mysterious Earth duplicate planet whose axis of rotation and inclination was changed, placing Antarctica as we know it in temperate latitudes.

Even under holocaustal levels of global warming, Antarctica would still be at the south pole; it would not be getting half and half sun like it is here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I still wanna see New Martim Vaz and the results of the Atlantis Project. What the gently caress is happening on future earth, man? They nuts

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Also what happened to our Whale expert, and was her 400 year old knowledge of any worth?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh she was whale suited to life in the future

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Axe-man posted:

Also what happened to our Whale expert, and was her 400 year old knowledge of any worth?

Something something she’s the sole cause of 90s Eugenics War

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jeeves posted:

Something something she’s the sole cause of 90s Eugenics War

Imagine looking up the past you skipped over and finding both the Eugenics Wars and WW3 were well within your potential lifetime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

Has there been any other movie series that changed time as much as the Trek ones did?

Maybe Bond, but even there the big tonal shifts tended to come with different actors.

Do you mean a movie series that changed over time?

An easy one to point to would be Godzilla and horror franchises like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Others would be Fast & Furious (the first movie is about stealing DVD players and the macho car culture, then it eventually became a bugnuts insane globe-trotting series of heist films), the Muppets, Rocky, Star Wars :v:, Resident Evil...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

8one6 posted:

Imagine looking up the past you skipped over and finding both the Eugenics Wars and WW3 were well within your potential lifetime.

Much like Dr. Taylor, I'd jump on the next science ship out and never come back. Or even answer Kirk's email.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Do you mean a movie series that changed over time?

An easy one to point to would be Godzilla and horror franchises like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

Others would be Fast & Furious (the first movie is about stealing DVD players and the macho car culture, then it eventually became a bugnuts insane globe-trotting series of heist films), the Muppets, Rocky, Star Wars :v:, Resident Evil...

It was actually meant to say tone, not sure how it became time.

With horror franchises and Godzilla, it's more that they slowly drift over time, much the same with Fast & Furious. Whereas the TOS movies almost feel like a couple of different movie franchises happening at once. Like IV being a big departure from formula, but VI has a similar vibe in many ways to II.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Axe-man posted:

I like to believe that she was involved in the Starfleet response to the probe incident, helping with the programs that led to many Starfleet vessels getting a cetacean ops department, in order for them to be better able to respond to any such future events.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Little did they know that it was an advance civilization that built huge protective probes to make sure that whales never disappeared. Right beyond the great barrier. Some say that it was developed by an ancient precursor race that was annihilated in their defense of whales. They are the Reapers!!!!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tonight we binged three TNG episodes in a row, more or less at random, none of which I'd seen in many years. Super-quick reviews:

Hero Worship - It's a little astounding that an episode centered around a guest-starring child actor rises to the giddy heights of "perfectly okay episode". He's probably one of the least annoying kids in Trek history.

Where Silence Has Lease - It does the surreal creepy nightmare vibe well, but the pacing feels draggy. Kudos to Ensign Redshirt for the famously gif-worthy death scene. Also, I'm sure that this episode, coming so early in season 2, did Pulaski no favors in terms of her likability.

Suspicions - Bev investigates a murder? Hell yeah! Fun episode overall, though it has some plot holes. Most glaring issue: how does solving the mystery (mostly, anyway) somehow get Crusher off the hook for the entire medical ethics / disobeying orders / interstellar incident thing that was certain to end her career? I mean, she still did it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

With horror franchises and Godzilla, it's more that they slowly drift over time, much the same with Fast & Furious. Whereas the TOS movies almost feel like a couple of different movie franchises happening at once. Like IV being a big departure from formula, but VI has a similar vibe in many ways to II.

Being able to depart from a formula and do whatever it wants is kinda the point of Trek, though. The setup is designed so that they can rock up at a situation and then do horror, proceedural, comedy, drama, whatever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Being able to depart from a formula and do whatever it wants is kinda the point of Trek, though. The setup is designed so that they can rock up at a situation and then do horror, proceedural, comedy, drama, whatever.

Right. I mean, TOS itself ran the gamut from ripping off old submarine movies to doing pure farce to Westerns to tone dramas to Shakespearean stuff to murder mysteries to "stranded on an island" stuff to ticking time bomb thrillers to ... you know, you get the point.

Also, those 3D bridges were really phenomenally done, nice job. I had the TNG Interactive Technical Manual CD-ROM and loved the poo poo out of that as a kid. If memory serves, wasn't there a way to trigger a coolant leak or something else that would cause a warp core breach when you were poking around the core in Engineering?

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 7, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Right. I mean, TOS itself ran the gamut from ripping off old submarine movies to doing pure farce to Westerns to tone dramas to Shakespearean stuff to murder mysteries to "stranded on an island" stuff to ticking time bomb thrillers to ... you know, you get the point.

Also, those 3D bridges were really phenomenally done, nice job. I had the TNG Interactive Technical Manual CD-ROM and loved the poo poo out of that as a kid. If memory serves, wasn't there a way to trigger a coolant leak or something else that would cause a warp core breach when you were poking around the core in Engineering?

You could also do that in the Stage 9 virtual Enterprise-D game that CBS C&D’d a few years ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

If memory serves, wasn't there a way to trigger a coolant leak or something else that would cause a warp core breach when you were poking around the core in Engineering?

In the Star Trek Elite Force add-on, which let you roam virtually all of Voyager, you could trigger the auto-destruct sequence on the bridge.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Too bad for the last 25 years Paramount has been trying to hammer Trek movies into the whiz-bang action blockbuster mold.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Suspicions - Bev investigates a murder? Hell yeah! Fun episode overall, though it has some plot holes. Most glaring issue: how does solving the mystery (mostly, anyway) somehow get Crusher off the hook for the entire medical ethics / disobeying orders / interstellar incident thing that was certain to end her career? I mean, she still did it.

The ends justify the means, in Star Trek. Except when they don't.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Too bad for the last 25 years Paramount has been trying to hammer Trek movies into the whiz-bang action blockbuster mold.

IV gave them that crack hit of mainstream success and they have been chasing that dragon ever since. THIS time, this NEW film will be the one that pulls in all the non-hardcore fans! You'll see!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
ST2009 was the 7th highest grossing film of the year, that counts as pulling in non-hardcore fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, if you solve a murder mystery you automatically get a full pardon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

ST2009 was the 7th highest grossing film of the year, that counts as pulling in non-hardcore fans.

And once Star wars came back and the marvel movies took off all those new viewers hosed off because there was nothing those Star Trek movies were doing that they couldn't get better versions of elsewhere

The only people that care enough about Star Trek now to pay money for it are the hardcore nerds that will continue to pay for it regardless of how it is so long as it makes references to prior materials and contains pretty colors

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pulling in non hardcore fans is a bit silly because by their very nature they don’t stay.

That’s like the whole point of the distinction

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Finally finished "Tears of the Prophets" (DS9 S6 finale). Boy that was abrupt, someone really wanted off the show! Put DS9 on hiatus for a couple weeks after watching "Valiant" cause it was getting real grim, hope there's less of a rough patch plot-wise in S7 but man.

Also, "Valiant." :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Rob Rockley posted:

Finally finished "Tears of the Prophets" (DS9 S6 finale). Boy that was abrupt, someone really wanted off the show! Put DS9 on hiatus for a couple weeks after watching "Valiant" cause it was getting real grim, hope there's less of a rough patch plot-wise in S7 but man.

Nah, she wanted the same deal Colm got (~10 Episodes)... so she could do another show and Berman refused and had her unceremoniously killed.