Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Turnout a bit less than it seemed it might be, but still not bad for a by-election
https://twitter.com/katewilsea/status/1390495087579340804

Labour is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Nonsense posted:

Labour is finished.
Seems like it, doesn't it? Big lol at Keir and the Labour Right reaping the results of getting their wish, shame about the upcoming one-party state.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kieth taking a beating everywhere

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I mean Keir did his job in that he neutered any semblance of real opposition to neoliberal capitalism. He'll land a cushy six figure job after he's done with his destruction.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Wealth? Keith's doing it for the joy of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ro5s posted:

Wealth? Keith's doing it for the joy of it.

You seen the photos and videos of him lately? That is not a joyous man.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but I think there is some emotion that takes the place of joy that he gets out of it. Same reason you become DPP. Like a sort of grim certainty that the world must be made worse and it must be right because if it wasn't then his entire life would have been a festering pustule of the arse of existence.

If anybody would like something that isn't election to think about I recommend watching videos of a man pull leaves out of drains so they drain properly

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 7, 2021

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

How the fucks he done that and got nothing to show

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

There seems to be something in the culture that says "As inoffensive as possible, that's the key! Nothing too interesting, that might frighten someone." And every time they do this, and every time people say "What am I looking at? There's nothing there." and every time they come to the conclusion that something wasn't quite bland enough. Or perhaps they'll try something very slightly less dreary, but they'll do it so badly that nobody likes that either, so they'll go right back to saying we need something less interesting.

I feel like some of these people talking about how electable Kier Starmer is are the same people who've been in charge of selecting the UK's Eurovision entry in years gone by. Trying to find the secret formula for the least offensive and most corporate-friendly product in order to appeal to a group of middle aged dullards who very deliberately won't be satisfied by any drat thing (rather than to teenage girls).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, these results :eyepop:

The Labour experiment of: "What would happen if we set out to appeal to absolutely nobody" is now presenting its conclusions!

Chuka Umana posted:

I mean Keir did his job in that he neutered any semblance of real opposition to neoliberal capitalism. He'll land a cushy six figure job after he's done with his destruction.

What do you think: director on a privatized utility, or cushy thinktank position?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pistol_Pete posted:

What do you think: director on a privatized utility, or cushy thinktank position?

Probably some kind of police lobby / law and order think tank

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jollity Farm posted:

There seems to be something in the culture that says "As inoffensive as possible, that's the key! Nothing too interesting, that might frighten someone." And every time they do this, and every time people say "What am I looking at? There's nothing there." and every time they come to the conclusion that something wasn't quite bland enough. Or perhaps they'll try something very slightly less dreary, but they'll do it so badly that nobody likes that either, so they'll go right back to saying we need something less interesting.

I feel like some of these people talking about how electable Kier Starmer is are the same people who've been in charge of selecting the UK's Eurovision entry in years gone by. Trying to find the secret formula for the least offensive and most corporate-friendly product in order to appeal to a group of middle aged dullards who very deliberately won't be satisfied by any drat thing (rather than to teenage girls).

They are desperate for people to believe that they have values but equally desperate not to state any lest people object to them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I trust burnham not to just windsock if given half a chance, but it will be curious to see how that works out for him.

At least he can somewhat reliably tell which way the wind is blowing.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 7, 2021

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:siren: Podcast Announcement :siren:

Hello everyone,

There comes a time when it becomes necessary to betray the Citizen Soviets and centralise power for the good of the people. With that in mind, Podcasting is Praxis is selling out, and has slimmed down to five people: David, Jamie, James, Rob, and Alasdair.

It was fun doing the podcast as a bigger collective, but we've reached the point where to continue to grow we need to be more organised and consistent, and better able to plan. We looked at the numbers, and for a while now it's been more or less the same steady crew, and that's coincided with a massive increase in listeners. We're over 1k an episode easily now, which is loving wild.

We also need to eat. Jamie has been living on scrapings from our t-shirt sales for a while, and meanwhile people have been asking if they can give us money. So, to give the people what they want, we have a Patreon now.

That's it. There's nothing more to say. We'll still be here, posting too much, and still putting out episodes. Cheers for reading.

hello, a few thoughts on this.

- congrats on the difficult decision to slim down - it makes perfect sense and im boosting the news of the patreon on all my social media
- please distribute the first tranche of the patreon money (say, the first 1000 donations or £1000 worth) fairly among the original 'cast cast. i know s** really needs the money but is too proud to ask directly
- a more diverse cast will get you more listeners AND revenue. you fulltimers appear to be five white blokes and while you might think the chemistry will suffer, its a great time to go broader. lets have a commitment to recruiting someone new by christmas at the latest

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's say Labour slowly dies a permanent death, for the sake of discussion.

After some time, what fills the opposition vacuum?

Greens? SCG spin off party? No filling the vacuum (Single party Tory state)?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

Let's say Labour slowly dies a permanent death, for the sake of discussion.

After some time, what fills the opposition vacuum?

Greens? SCG spin off party? No filling the vacuum (Single party Tory state)?

Corbyn starts a new left party :sickos:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is an... interesting tweet for Zarah Sultana to like:

https://twitter.com/berniceking/status/1390493005073813505?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a meaning from it that I am not getting? Seems fairly on brand for her.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Pistol_Pete posted:

Consultant for a private military company.

btw I can't believe Clegg got a job at Facebook and now lives in a mansion in Atherton California. Truly there's no repercussions for failure in politics.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bloke on Five Live claiming Labour lost Hartlepool because young people were confused about what they were voting for so didn’t vote lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a meaning from it that I am not getting? Seems fairly on brand for her.

'The work is strategic absence' stood out to me in the context of the locals.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Chuka Umana posted:

Will Starmer resign?

You don't stop strangling at the first sign of weakness. You keep going until the thing you're strangling is 100% dead.

Starmer will sit on the party like an elephant for as long as physically possible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

'The work is strategic absence' stood out to me in the context of the locals.

Maybe? Though given she was apparently campaigning today I don't know that it means that much. Strategic absence would be a campaign strike.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So we have ten years of Starmer followed by ten years of Neil Kinnock's failson lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

- a more diverse cast will get you more listeners AND revenue. you fulltimers appear to be five white blokes and while you might think the chemistry will suffer, its a great time to go broader. lets have a commitment to recruiting someone new by christmas at the latest
I recall James introducing themself as gender neutral way back in their first appearance?

I think diversity representation is a goal to go for in terms of guests - it's not like this is the result of a recruitment process.

E: Thought Elijah was still in the cast.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 7, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chuka Umana posted:

Consultant for a private military company.

btw I can't believe Clegg got a job at Facebook and now lives in a mansion in Atherton California. Truly there's no repercussions for failure in politics.

Failure?!? He successfully neutered a progressive cohort of voters and worked tirelessly to preserve the status quo; he's now enjoying his well-earned reward!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Chuka Umana posted:

So we have ten years of Starmer followed by ten years of Neil Kinnock's failson lol

And then Tony Blair’s son should be just about the right age to take the reins

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

And then Tony Blair’s son should be just about the right age to take the reins
put the lathe down and back away slowly

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

put the lathe down and back away slowly

I've got it.

"Now everyone will understand it's cooperation or death for our species."

How's my driving?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
So what stage of pasokification are we on? Will the labour right be up for another round of: 'We gotta get more racist', or they gonna keep on keeping it bland. Tune in next time on, No Corbyns!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
How on earth does Labour keep losing even harder than the last time? Haven't they had leaders across the ideological spectrum at this point; wasn't this guy the anti-Corbyn? Are they just insanely incompetent at campaigning?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1390511480483745794

It’s massive!

https://twitter.com/SwainITV/status/1390511205597515781

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 7, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They lost under corbyn because of a combination of sabotage by the labour right at every turn, a universally hostile press, and in 2019 especially, because it turns out "traditonal labour voters" care more about brexit than they do anything else. They are losing under keir because he's a massive loving moron who has done absolutely nothing except vote for lovely legislation, alienate labour's left destroying their funding and campaigning base, and taken lots of pictures of himself drinking with flags in the background, and it turns out that the "traditional labour voters" he so desperately wants to chase are actually entirely politically aligned with the tories.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lol Scotlab are going to have a better night than the big party.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I recall James introducing themself as gender neutral way back in their first appearance?

I think diversity representation is a goal to go for in terms of guests - it's not like this is the result of a recruitment process.

E: Thought Elijah was still in the cast.
Don't respond sincerely to Breath Ray, you're wasting your time

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Reported to David Baddiel for calling a Jewish man white.

(Also recall James introducing themself as gender neutral way back in their first appearance?)

ah bollocks, sorry david :goatee:

underrepresented people need and deserve jobs and money rather than guest spots and exposure.

at a time when pcast are organising, monetising and planning, i hope they make the right decision

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

surf rock posted:

How on earth does Labour keep losing even harder than the last time? Haven't they had leaders across the ideological spectrum at this point; wasn't this guy the anti-Corbyn? Are they just insanely incompetent at campaigning?

Why vote for Sugar Free Tory?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

American checking in to say: lol at Keith and his gaggle of losers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There just isn't a future chasing the horrible old gits who make up the majority of voters in the horrible shithole towns up here. They're never going to vote for anything good because they don't want good things to happen, they are tories at heart and it's just taken them a while to realise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

OwlFancier posted:

They lost under corbyn because of a combination of sabotage by the labour right at every turn, a universally hostile press, and in 2019 especially, because it turns out "traditonal labour voters" care more about brexit than they do anything else. They are losing under keir because he's a massive loving moron who has done absolutely nothing except vote for lovely legislation, alienate labour's left destroying their funding and campaigning base, and taken lots of pictures of himself drinking with flags in the background, and it turns out that the "traditional labour voters" he so desperately wants to chase are actually entirely politically aligned with the tories.

OwlFancier posted:

There just isn't a future chasing the horrible old gits who make up the majority of voters in the horrible shithole towns up here. They're never going to vote for anything good because they don't want good things to happen, they are tories at heart and it's just taken them a while to realise.

Starmer's also a boring oval office and most of the ppl they're chasing will genuinely probably be dead within 8 years by the looks of it whereas Corbyn had the support of young voters. Genuinely trying to get young ppl engaged seems a better strategy to me but I'm also just some muppet on the internet.