Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1390558607163416579?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
All the MPs in interviews this morning are of course talking about doubling-down.

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1390530861129469953

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Boris should call a snap tbh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Speed up back --Labour 2022

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

gonadic io posted:

He's too loving lazy to do that though.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Excited to see what dreadful Blair cabinet mummy they dig out to replace Keir if he packs it in

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Can't stop lolling that the leadership's response to this disaster is to double down on their dumb, failing non-strategy.

Lol.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

gonadic io posted:

why would he do that? He has a majority til 2024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

We told all of these people we didn't want their votes and now they didn't vote for us? Wtf?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1390575382726840323?s=19

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
maybe they should have spent more time telling people that they'd got rid of corbyn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1390595144139825155?s=19

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the year is 2122. billions have died, but the corbyn menace has yet to be purged from england, all but one hectare of which has sunk beneath the ocean. mechier starma knows now what he must do to save labour once and for all, and plunges his glossy blue mechsuit into the depths of the submerged john lewis homeware showcase for the final battle

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gonadic io posted:

All the MPs in interviews this morning are of course talking about doubling-down.

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1390530861129469953

Labour's new slogan: It's time for a Change, UK

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the tories were genuinely scared at labours youth support after 2017 and they've managed to completely annihilate it

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its time to face facts. the number one issue facing children and families in the uk today is how could jumanji crumbin say such a thing about israeli settlers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

these stats :yikes:

https://twitter.com/beccavane/status/1390218897803157504?s=20

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

The future is a giant inflatable Johnson slapping you around the face. Forever.

https://twitter.com/SwainITV/status/1390511205597515781

My favourite goldeneye mp character

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Keir: speeds up movement towards British people

British people: run away faster

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I'm waiting for the General Election seat predictions, that'll certainly put a cat among the labour MP pigeons.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jel Shaker posted:

I'm waiting for the General Election seat predictions, that'll certainly put a cat among the labour MP pigeons.

These are locals, they don't tend to map onto generals at all and I don't think really impact subsequent intentions. There might be some people who do now admit that they wouldnt vote Labour rather than lie.

The terrible performance is embarrassing all by itself though.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
As funny as it is you can't read much into locals, councils are highly disconnected from national politics and dominated by local context.

A by-election is a huge flashing red light though and the metro mayors are somewhere in-between.

One thing that doesn't seem to have been picked up generally yet is that a ton of people are citing Ben Houchen's continued success as the icebreaker for other Tories in the region; if the Tories now flip other mayoralties in traditional labour areas you might see a similar effect flowing down in those areas.

I don't think Kier will go just off the back of one bad by-election and set of locals; the incoming Batley and Spen by-election is increasingly make or break though. Another red wall seat but with a very different demographic. If he can't win there either then a huge number of senior figures in the party are going to be eyeing their formerly safe seats in the surrounding area and move against him out of pure self-preservation; nobody wants to end their career doing the gormless Portillo stare.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i know these are locals but going into an election with no policies at all is completely insane lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol he's lost the baldest centrist of them all

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1390625931392344065?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RachaelBurford/status/1390596764416233473

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I'm sorry, Lord loving what?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

shirts and skins posted:

its not a real country

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Has France invaded to liberate the suffering English yet?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
a whole 8 paras before the possibility of a new centrist party is introduced

what we need is a brexit style mass re-alignment but favouring my particular grab bag of pet issues from all over the political spectrum, so err maybe crack on with that guys thanks

Rustybear has issued a correction as of 12:59 on May 7, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

It's Greek. His dad was Nikos Adonis from Cyprus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

keir starmer is going to give a secret speech on the dangers of corbynism-millibandism-brownism. time to purge the left even harder.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Why is he a Lord? Does that mean he's a knight or something?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Has France invaded to liberate the suffering English yet?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/06/world/europe/uk-france-jersey-fishing.html

yes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

An insane mind posted:

No, a Lord ranks higher. It is in fact quite a breach of protocol for Adonis, a lord, to directly badmouth a knight (Sir Keith) like this, rather than speak to the Queen about her servant.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

An insane mind posted:

hes better than you. legally

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

An insane mind posted:

It means he has generational wealth. The filthy English perverts actually put it on their business cards.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

so will Keir be forced to resign like Corbyn?

corbyn lost two generals and i dont remember how all the locals went for him, but the last lot were savage

so imo its only fair we let kier have the same except its just back to back disasters instead of a near miss

V. Illych L. posted:

well i suppose i was wrong and the mass of voters really are in the tepid centre ground

whoa, really????? in the UK?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Breakfast All Day posted:

hes better than you. legally

That's not hard though :(

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The centre ground, right in between Pinochet and Mussolini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

An insane mind posted:

theres a couple of ways to become a lord, and it gives you a seat in our second legislature house

> it can be passed down through the family like in medieval times, though these "life peers" are less common since they've been promising to get rid of them i do think some still exist?

> you can take some position or profession where its tradition you are made a lord, so we have the "law lords" and the "lords spiritual" who are the poshest judges and bishops, they just de facto get to vote in our legislature too.
a family member of mine was in one of these positions and the tories refused to make them a lord since they had publically pushed back against their lovely policies.

>corruption. afaik the majority of peers nowadays are appointed by the government pretty much just to reward their donors or people who have rendered service to them, starmer will probably get a lordship eventually for killing labour etc. a lot of times they are just directly selling peerages and titles for bribes.
in theory this is meant to allow the government to award noteable subjects with a place in the legislature and an expense account.
the opposition can also nominate lords and the only good one that springs to mind was labour nominating shami chakrabarti, a famous human rights lawyer but with ATROCIOUS timing since it was just after she cleared labour of being antisemitic so was/looked like corruption