Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

six seasons? so they’ve made like 19 episodes?

ikr

Peaky Blinders
No. of series 5
No. of episodes 30 (list of episodes)

truly BBC

but high production value

really smart show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

invincible is pretty good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
dead alive is the best romcom ever

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

indigi posted:

six seasons? so they’ve made like 19 episodes?

tbh shorter seasons are better

theres a lot of drat padding in american shows cause they always have to be 10 hrs or whatever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t understand how a culture that values soccer so much could possibly have a problem with padding but time makes fools of us all

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I think someone said this already but in rewatching 90s star trek it becomes clear we really don't need 26 episodes a season thanks.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxzK4uYCUJw

the live action jin roh sucksssss

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I think someone said this already but in rewatching 90s star trek it becomes clear we really don't need 26 episodes a season thanks.

without that padding we might have missed self sealing stembolts or the vulcan baseball team. big seasons with one-offs rule, sucks to your prestige bullshit

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

My takeaway from rewatching TNG is that it was a lot more horny than 90s me remembered.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
s01e03 is data fucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MrQueasy posted:

My takeaway from rewatching TNG is that it was a lot more horny than 90s me remembered.

Gates McFadden fucks a ghost in the last season.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

in this episode she utters the line "last night, I was reading a particularly erotic section of my grandmother's diary"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bustin'!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh yeah short seasons definitely made picard and discovery much better shows

cut away all the unnecessary fluff, who needs fun character moments when we can really focus in on those brilliant season arcs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also just lol at the entire notion of "ugh, there's too many episodes in this show which i ostensibly enjoy watching"

you don't have to binge the whole thing in one shot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i havent watched a star trek since whatever was on tv in the 90s

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
give me money to write a klingon movie. I'll get all the nerds and make sure they can speak klingon and punch each other in the face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Q3NiafxPs

and the action has to be that brutal or more

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh yeah short seasons definitely made picard and discovery much better shows

cut away all the unnecessary fluff, who needs fun character moments when we can really focus in on those brilliant season arcs

Achmed Jones posted:

without that padding we might have missed self sealing stembolts or the vulcan baseball team. big seasons with one-offs rule, sucks to your prestige bullshit

eh, for every stem bolt there is a super racist ferengi episode or colliding with a spatial anomaly again. the DS9 'loose serial' approach would work welll with shorter seasons too. picard and discovery wouldn't be saved by less serialisation and more character moments, they are just trash shows with awful characters.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
give me $100mil to make a dope klingon movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFX6l8FOQXQ

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBlVtrtjck

I need to watch this soon

mystes
May 31, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

give me money to write a klingon movie. I'll get all the nerds and make sure they can speak klingon and punch each other in the face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Q3NiafxPs

and the action has to be that brutal or more
Let's compromise and make it a musical instead.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/knarkhund/status/1390636889250619392?s=20

lol I never played a VHS/Boardgame as a child, I missed out it seems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

this is the thing, you've got a bunch of middling to mediocre writers and you just roll the dice 26 times a year and here and there you get some gold.

or you have half that and one overarching story and those same writers really bring their a-game the whole time and it's absolute poo poo because they're not nearly good enough to pull off that kind of writing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MrQueasy posted:

and graphic. i saw the parasite phaser scene on a dozen tvs at a store and nobody seemed particularly surprised by a smoldering abdomen full of alien husks

eh, for every stem bolt there is a super racist ferengi episode or colliding with a spatial anomaly again. the DS9 'loose serial' approach would work welll with shorter seasons too. picard and discovery wouldn't be saved by less serialisation and more character moments, they are just trash shows with awful characters.

hey, the ferengi may be roundly mocked overall, but their episodes gave us iggy pop as a vorta

SmokaDustbowl posted:

give me $100mil to make a dope klingon movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFX6l8FOQXQ

gently caress yeah, klingons as warriors in brutal combat with some of their philosophy would be a solid watch. ds9 digs into that a bit and it gave them back the depth from the movies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have been watching it and it's been pretty good so far.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

this is the thing, you've got a bunch of middling to mediocre writers and you just roll the dice 26 times a year and here and there you get some gold.

or you have half that and one overarching story and those same writers really bring their a-game the whole time and it's absolute poo poo because they're not nearly good enough to pull off that kind of writing

I love when you can tell that the writers were out of ideas because you'd get a slew of holodeck episodes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw i finished this last night

Carthag Tuek posted:

im reading vandermeers newest, hummingbird salamander

none of his usual weird stuff so far, more like a eco-thriller

it was good! darkly topical, i liked the unusual protag (suburban mom, works a boring secfuck job, is a former body builder)

rec'ed. anyone else read some good ones lately?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
netflix just dropped a whole season of a new superhero tv show (jupiters legacy) and i havent seen a miligram of hype or promotion or reviews of it (relative to, say, the boys or invincible)

its that bad, huh?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I love when you can tell that the writers were out of ideas because you'd get a slew of holodeck episodes.

like the old TOS days where they had a bunch of sets/costumes from another show and decided to write an episode around them, but with a better framing device than "this is the gangster planet, it's full of 1920s gangsters"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FMguru posted:

netflix just dropped a whole season of a new superhero tv show (jupiters legacy) and i havent seen a miligram of hype or promotion or reviews of it (relative to, say, the boys or invincible)

its that bad, huh?

it’s another millarverse show for whatever that’s worth. i hadn’t realized it was coming out today (i thought it had just started development lol) so i read the comic this morning. it was ok.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

its that bad, huh?

i’ve seen a few ads for it. netflix doesn’t seem to push a whole lot of traditional show-business hype for its shows, and i don’t know why

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rjmccall posted:

i’ve seen a few ads for it. netflix doesn’t seem to push a whole lot of traditional show-business hype for its shows, and i don’t know why

that’s not their business model

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

like the old TOS days where they had a bunch of sets/costumes from another show and decided to write an episode around them, but with a better framing device than "this is the gangster planet, it's full of 1920s gangsters"

that led to some uh interesting episode choices

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, the starfleet admiral who thought "you know, i bet fascism could work, that hitler guy was just doing it wrong"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Agile Vector posted:

lmao at the faux n-dash

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's ok you can say the whole word

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Agile Vector posted:

oh my god i was wrong it was earth all along

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

oh my god i was wrong it was earth all along

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

it's ok you can say the whole word

th-that's not what i .. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FMguru posted:

its that bad, huh?

lol it's not good i just watched the first ep and it's real cheesy with a lot of overacting (i mean, par for the course, i guess, but)