Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be thinking of them, I thought it was an ice cream company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Grey Hunter posted:

It's been shown time and time again that people don't really change who they vote for that much, what changes is the drive to vote - here we're seeing polling numbers in line with 2019, but traditional Labour voters just can't be arsed to go vote.

that's often true of the major parties but not true of something like the brexit party, which had 10k votes in 2019 but literally doesn't exist anymore

people can be flipped if you try, just constantly going back to the same ever-decreasing pool of people isn't a way forward

the problem here is that they've decided the way to win new voters is to eject old voters and welp

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wonder if the media and significant parts of the Labour Party spending two years saying over and over again that the Labour Party is anti-Semitic could have had an effect on the public's opinion of the party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be fair, they have also spend the last year and a half saying that labour is poo poo and you shouldn't vote for them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ben and Jerry's sold to Unilever in 2000, so once again it's the Brits At It. But they also try to have it both ways and say they are an autonomous company when it suits the PR needs

Choc Cookie Dough is tasty tho

ReticulatingSpline
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I might be thinking of them, I thought it was an ice cream company.

There's a Unilever ice cream factory in Acre. Acre was captured by Israel in 1948. So your at least half right, i don't know if it is Ben and Jerry's branded.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is it possible for 'youth = left wing' to change?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rustybear posted:

that's often true of the major parties but not true of something like the brexit party, which had 10k votes in 2019 but literally doesn't exist anymore

people can be flipped if you try, just constantly going back to the same ever-decreasing pool of people isn't a way forward

the problem here is that they've decided the way to win new voters is to eject old voters and welp

All true.

Shame it's not easy to start a new party - you'd need a good chunk of defectors to get something going - plus money and luck.

How hard would it be to takeover the Lib Dems I wonder. the average Lib Dem voter is much lefter than their MP's.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LondonFire/status/1390593667660984320

Guess what kind of cladding it has and what steps the freeholder has made to rectify it?

(Thankfully as it started during the day there's no reports of deaths or serious injuries so far but that's very much luck not judgement)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Be fair, they have also spend the last year and a half saying that labour is poo poo and you shouldn't vote for them.
I want to be clear here: I not only expect the government to torture my cock and balls for being a nasty little piggy, I demand the government punish my anus as well.

(Yes Kieth as a mewling sub is my new bit)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Why did nobody tell us his name was Tiger Patel? Other than a worry that the sheer power of that name *and* that video would lead to every person in the UK trying to move to his ward.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

When I was a teenager I had drank deep of the internet's libertarian cup and had regular arguments with my mum about politics as a result. My mum was insistent that when I "grew up and got a proper job", and saw 99% of the money I made going into the pockets of capitalists, I'd rethink my foolish teenage political views.

So, 2-0 for mums being smarter than their teenagers, I'd call that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Guess what kind of cladding it has and what steps the freeholder has made to rectify it?

(Thankfully as it started during the day there's no reports of deaths or serious injuries so far but that's very much luck not judgement)

That might explain why I saw a 2 bed going for £200,000 in that building a few months back.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(Yes Kieth as a mewling sub is my new bit)

This is unfair on mewling subs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
labour is now the UK's most conservative party :laugh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/LondonFire/status/1390593667660984320

What is it with tower fires breaking out after elections? This one didn't even wait for the results to finalise.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

People leave twitter open and hit a critical mass of hot takes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm a US-person, so forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm rather fascinated by the fact that you have like six parties in your election. I was under the impression that the UK has a first-past-the-post system, so shouldn't that have mathematically caused the system to trend towards having only two? How is it that the smaller parties can still exist and get votes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I'm a US-person, so forgive me for my ignorance, but I'm rather fascinated by the fact that you have like six parties in your election. I was under the impression that the UK has a first-past-the-post system, so shouldn't that have mathematically caused the system to trend towards having only two? How is it that the smaller parties can still exist and get votes?

Some exist to put pressure on the two main parties by threatening to steal their votes in key marginals, and others are more of a national coordinating body for local elections (which are up for grabs by just about anyone due to their extremely low barriers to entry).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK has two functional parties on a national level, labour and the conservatives, the greens/lib dems fight for a few percent of the vote apiece and have single digit numbers of MPs, greens typically only holding 1 MP in bristol (brighton? I can never remember which of those is which).

The lib dems used to do better but they formed a coalition government the minute they got a major national presence and everyone abandoned them afterwards because they were dogshit. And part of the reason they exist at all is because of a splinter branch of the labour party some 40 years ago.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 7, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

As well as the other answers - tradition and relatively strict campaign finance laws mean that it's very, very cheap to stand as a candidate. Something like the SNP or Brexit Party can get up and running at a level big enough to influence the national discourse for less than the cost of a single Congress seat campaign.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

crispix posted:

labour is now the UK's most conservative party :laugh:

I was going to say, it seems like the Tories made a bare minimum reach of a few small things to working class voters, and Labour did uhhh *checks notes* nothing and called it bribery?

Is Kieth taking notes from the GOP?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is Scotland free to join the Kalmar Union yet?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Don't ever look into Danish elections.
We have like 30 parties, and haven't had a simple majority government since before World War 2 - everything is a coalition government round these parts. :denmark:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Some exist to put pressure on the two main parties by threatening to steal their votes in key marginals, and others are more of a national coordinating body for local elections (which are up for grabs by just about anyone due to their extremely low barriers to entry).

OwlFancier posted:

The UK has two functional parties on a national level, labour and the conservatives, the greens/lib dems fight for a few percent of the vote apiece and have single digit numbers of MPs, greens typically only holding 1 MP in bristol (brighton? I can never remember which of those is which).

The lib dems used to do better but they formed a coalition government the minute they got a major national presence and everyone abandoned them afterwards because they were dogshit. And part of the reason they exist at all is because of a splinter branch of the labour party some 40 years ago.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As well as the other answers - tradition and relatively strict campaign finance laws mean that it's very, very cheap to stand as a candidate. Something like the SNP or Brexit Party can get up and running at a level big enough to influence the national discourse for less than the cost of a single Congress seat campaign.

Thank you! That's very enlightening. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Only Shetland, Orkney, Caithness, and West Yorkshire have the right style flags for that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

The reason the US has such a rigid two-party system is the presidential election. It's all-or-nothing so only huge parties can compete. There's no reason why smaller parties couldn't get traction in the US in more local elections, but the presidential one encourages against it. FPTP does benefit larger parties, but it's still possible for smaller parties to make at least a little headway in a parliamentary system.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's me, I'm the UKIP to Green swing voter

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390666740099686404

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As long as we are not swamped by Death Metal bands.
Wandering around our forests, stealing our album covers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Crushing Lib Dem victory in Scotland so far. No exit polls so going to extrapolate from here and say Lib Dem majority.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Everyone who's been paying attention knows that a significant number of UKIP/BXP voters were Labour voters finally sick of being ignored and hitting the "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" button, and it's interesting to see where that energy is finding a path to ground across the country.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

The reason the US has such a rigid two-party system is the presidential election. It's all-or-nothing so only huge parties can compete. There's no reason why smaller parties couldn't get traction in the US in more local elections, but the presidential one encourages against it. FPTP does benefit larger parties, but it's still possible for smaller parties to make at least a little headway in a parliamentary system.

A lot of states have laws that basically institutionalize the two party system and make it harder for 3rd parties to get on the ballot. The populist party of the 1890s was the last time a third party had national success and a lot of the institutional changes made in reaction to that by various states remain in place today.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Borrovan posted:

Yeah this is why I'm just enjoying a hearty lol at all the TIBFJC rather than getting angry. Whatever they say publicly is not reflective of the conversations that are being had behind closed doors. If there's any hope of getting anything resembling a functioning opposition, it needs to start from the loving Blairites admitting that maybe it is in fact not the children who are wrong, and this is pretty loving compelling evidence.

Slim chance of them realising that I know, but their gravy train is gonna derail itself otherwise, and that's no real loss to the rest of us.

The only chance labour have at ever becoming anything even remotely approaching genuine opposition again is less infighting. It's a political party you are all in it together. Even the loving Tories can sometimes manage that. Labour needs to get it's poo poo together, split into sperate parties or hurry up and die so someone else can step in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Hillsborough's a complete Green sweep.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1390667572119486465?s=21

Looks like their long-predicted surge after the downfall of Corbyn is finally happening.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like their long-predicted surge after the downfall of Corbyn is finally happening.

Can you use terms like long predicted and finally when Corbyn was ousted two years ago? Isn't this literally the first election since he got kicked out?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

DrSunshine posted:

politics gets involved and confuses otherwise rational people into doing things that are not mathematically optimal

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't this a lot to do with the street tree felling thing? Even though it's funny, local politics are local.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aramoro posted:

Crushing Lib Dem victory in Scotland so far. No exit polls so going to extrapolate from here and say Lib Dem majority.

Interesting result though in Banffshire and Buchan Coast which is more rural - SNP hold, but down 10% with CON up 10%, resulting in a 700-vote majority for the SNP (or 2.3%).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

u brexit ukip it posted:

Interesting result though in Banffshire and Buchan Coast which is more rural - SNP hold, but down 10% with CON up 10%, resulting in a 700-vote majority for the SNP (or 2.3%).

This is good, Tories hoped to take it. SNP candidate is also very pro trans rights.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

Isn't this a lot to do with the street tree felling thing? Even though it's funny, local politics are local.
This is why the guardian's prole whisperers are so funny, local elections swing a weird way and Helen Piss gets sent up there to ask the pizza restaurant owners why they hate Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Extremely depressed today. Shall drink into oblivion. Cheers UKMT.

Maybe you could dress up good left policies in a bit of racism? More social housing, but only for local people. Free broadband, but the Daily Mail is set as everyone's homepage.