Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/status/1390306825371717633?s=19

Go ahead, keep screaming shut the gently caress up at me it will only make my opinions worse

oh god I genuinely did laugh until I choked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/bearwitness2019/status/1390272772459401221?s=21

Those well known strategic naval locations of *checks notes* the Chiltern hills.

Give it a few more decades...

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"put a load of washing on" at the end makes that whole scientologist list for the nanny sound fake or are there british scientologists

also good luck getting a kid to run and throw rocks for two straight hours lmfao

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

boar guy posted:

"put a load of washing on" at the end makes that whole scientologist list for the nanny sound fake or are there british scientologists

You bet your arse there are. They've had a Dianetics shop in Central London since the 60s, as well as a manor house in East Grinstead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

boar guy posted:

also good luck getting a kid to run and throw rocks for two straight hours lmfao

If they don't, you just APPLY DIANETICS

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Gats Akimbo posted:

You bet your arse there are. They've had a Dianetics shop in Central London since the 60s, as well as a manor house in East Grinstead.

oh, we're so sorry

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My children are the most precious and important thing there is. Therefore I will pay you 6.5 US dollars to keep them away from me at all times. And I do mean at all times; if they're dying, just tell them to suck it up, the important thing is that they are not in my house.

This exorbitant wage is not merely charity; in this price I am hiring you as both a nanny and as a maid.

Clearly money is no object, but I cannot go any higher as a lot of my expendable income is tied up in the money toilet I worship.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They want Mary Poppins, they'll be lucky to get Amelia Bedelia

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

L. Ron Scrubbard

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think America is statistically the country most likely to not use their PTO because it's been beaten into us that it let's the team down to not be here. And then even when you try they deny it because planning ahead for something three weeks out is too hard

[Ask] me why my mental health professional testing got delayed two months

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The idea of me having to anticipate the impact on the team is so weird. That's what managers are for! We ask for the time,they say yes/maybe if X/no but maybe two weeks later?, done! Especially during the summer, when everyone takes 3-4 weeks off. Find temps, move deadlines around, or the fan favourite, encourage everyone to take the same weeks off and just shut down. So convenient.

At my old job we had dealings with an American company, who did not seem to understand "we do not answer email outside our business hours" or "it's the summer, someone will get back to you in two weeks". They were very upset.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Phosphine posted:

The idea of me having to anticipate the impact on the team is so weird. That's what managers are for! We ask for the time,they say yes/maybe if X/no but maybe two weeks later?, done! Especially during the summer, when everyone takes 3-4 weeks off. Find temps, move deadlines around, or the fan favourite, encourage everyone to take the same weeks off and just shut down. So convenient.

At my old job we had dealings with an American company, who did not seem to understand "we do not answer email outside our business hours" or "it's the summer, someone will get back to you in two weeks". They were very upset.
I'm American but my company has pretty good PTO policies and stuff, we get 3 paid weeks off a year at full-time, I personally suspect being an international company that operates in countries with different labor laws is what I should thank. Anyway I've gotten denied for PTO before but only because someone else has already reserved that week off, and then my manager helped me figure out when was open so I could reserve PTO without a problem.

Like... I get sometimes with employee turnover or training new people or just scheduling tightness it's hard to get specific days off, but management should be helping employees get time off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You get more productivity from exhausted wrecks who hate you

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Having worked for emergency services it's amazing how hard it is now to be convinced random corporate poo poo is actually urgent. "Is someone going to literally die because Fred is taking a long weekend? No, then it's not urgent."

e:

redgubbinz posted:

L. Ron Scrubbard

L. Ron Scrublord would be a great gamer handle.

Soylent Pudding has a new favorite as of 16:49 on May 7, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m British and wtf is PTO?

Is it that thing boomers have where they get 1.5 days paid holiday for every month worked but no one else does because of zero hours contracts?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Phosphine posted:

The difference seems to be that in many workplaces here, if you want time off, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure your poo poo is covered. Getting that set up can be a hassle. And if something slips through the cracks you might get a phone call at 2 AM in Japan when you're on vacation. Not that I'm still traumatized by this.

learnincurve posted:

Is it that thing boomers have where they get 1.5 days paid holiday for every month worked but no one else does because of zero hours contracts?

Paid Time Off, a blanket category for vacation and other time away from work.

This is where we get to shock the filthy foreigners by reminding them that America has no mandated time off for employees whatsoever in most places!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

learnincurve posted:

One of the main things I miss about living in the UK was the holidays. Decent amount of bank holidays and the like, and after a few years I accrued 25 paid days a year in a lovely, badly paid job.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
When my daughter was born on a Thursday my boss asked if I'd be available on Friday to look at some spreadsheets from the hospital room lmao

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Having worked for emergency services it's amazing how hard it is now to be convinced random corporate poo poo is actually urgent. "Is someone going to literally die because Fred is taking a long weekend? No, then it's not urgent."

e:

L. Ron Scrublord would be a great gamer handle.

I work in logistics shipping non food or pharmaceutical grade chemicals and it's real common for "LEN THIS IS URGENT MUST SHIP TODAY" and it's never actually urgent because they put it on the cheapest carriers that miss appointments and when I tell them that they just go "oh Saia hasn't been here in 4 days it's fine let it ride"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

learnincurve posted:

Personal time off.

Same thing as vacation days, basically.

E: Whoops, Paid time off. In my defense I had no idea there was such a thing as unpaid time off!

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 00:09 on May 8, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

learnincurve posted:

Springer spaniels need a special diet or they turn into walking fart boxes - so we feed them vitalin which looks like rabbit food but it’s got a gravy coating that needs hot water to activate.

Baron Zemo utters the secret phrase to activate Winter Soldiers gravy coating.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My children are the most precious and important thing there is. Therefore I will pay you 6.5 US dollars to keep them away from me at all times. And I do mean at all times; if they're dying, just tell them to suck it up, the important thing is that they are not in my house.

My wife was an au pair when she was younger and she can testify that this is in fact a very common attitude of parents who hire nannies. One family gave my wife very explicit instructions that the kids were to be in bed and asleep by the time they got home in the evening. They really just wanted to see the kids briefly in the morning on week days. She had weekends off, so I guess that's when all the child/parent quality time was had.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Personal time off.

Same thing as vacation days, basically.

Wait. its not Paid Time Off? You poor bastards

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PTO is paid time off everywhere I've been.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s what it is. Though PTO in a lot of jobs is accumulated over time rather than a fixed amount you get like vacation days

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Heath posted:

As you can see on this graph, (smears a lovely and greasy wrinkled page torn out of a presentation pad on the table) up until this era here, we see a preponderance of Nerd fossil data, but after right about this spot on the timeline (points to a scribbled gap bafflingly marked "HOLE LEFT BY THE GAMERGATE DARK AGES") we only see Trans fossils

What struck me was the "my child is DEAD (to me)", which should raise some big loving red flags amongst LGBTQ+. But this isn't targeting them, it's aimed at their families

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I'm American but my company has pretty good PTO policies and stuff,

You say this bit then immediately contradict yourself by saying

PetraCore posted:

we get 3 paid weeks off a year at full-time

The legal minimum here is 5.6 weeks for full timers.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The American default is 2 weeks "use or lose" PTO. In the name of efficiency your department is kept understaffed so you can't get approved to actually use it. Also in every state but California since you declined to use your PTO they don't have to pay it out when it expires.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Aramoro posted:

You say this bit then immediately contradict yourself by saying

The legal minimum here is 5.6 weeks for full timers.

:911: That's just some of our fine Murrican exceptionalism!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
We've hit the "it's just openly misogyny" part of the TERF cycle.

https://twitter.com/brynismyname/status/1390569650585542657

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also at many American companies your sick days are not separated from your accumulated PTO. So if you get sick and you already booked your vacation time? You’re either working sick or not getting paid. And don’t even start on parental leave.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
There's a lot to unpack in the crazy Scientologist babysitter list, but the thing that made me the saddest is that they don't even capitalize one of the kid's names. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Minicurve; 5ft 1” played rugby in her mixed sports class *checks notes* two years ago and I can’t imagine she would be very impressed with that tweet for a variety of reasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also at many American companies your sick days are not separated from your accumulated PTO. So if you get sick and you already booked your vacation time? You’re either working sick or not getting paid.

That was the exact same back in the UK for me too. We lost benefits like sick pay and wage increases for a 'temporary' period while the company needed to make money, and won't you believe it that temporary period is still going to this day.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

"Why would a female person be interested in weight lifting?" asks woman who is unaware of worldwide craze for gigantic asses

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Otana posted:

There's a lot to unpack in the crazy Scientologist babysitter list, but the thing that made me the saddest is that they don't even capitalize one of the kid's names. :(

Perhaps the kid had questions about The Bridge, thus the parents labeled him a PTS/SP and grounded him from capitalization until he raised his Tone Scale.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

"Why would a female person be interested in weight lifting?" asks woman who is unaware of worldwide craze for gigantic asses

I dunno, it seems like there are plenty of gigantic asses in Mumsnet.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1389565059735638020?s=20

Note to natives: next time try to live up to white people standards if you want to be considered human and don't want to get genocided. It's pretty simple, really

Natives picked up chattel slavery to try to live up to white people's standards, didn't help.

Minicurve
Apr 12, 2021

learnincurve posted:

Minicurve; 5ft 1” played rugby in her mixed sports class *checks notes* two years ago and I can’t imagine she would be very impressed with that tweet for a variety of reasons.

hard agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/BWRBooks/status/1390666149529100291
https://twitter.com/PatHartman_/status/1390667721860284419

https://twitter.com/PatHartman_/status/1390704236212592641