Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PawParole posted:

Labour, as in the Labour movement, hasn't held power since 1979. It could have held power in the 90s, but the Party buckled under internal pressure from backroom boys and very openly became the 'heirs of Thatcher' ie not Thatcherites explicitly but a clear downstream interpretation of the world she set up.

After 2019, lessons should have been learned, but both wings of the Party still believe they have the right answers and that the other wing is sabotaging them. Because both sides believe this, they do indeed sabotage one another, although neither actually has the right answer.

Labour doesn't have a base in the media. Like out of all the papers it has one sure supporter, The Mirror. Guardian has consistently over the years sided with Liberals/SDP/Lib Dems when push comes to shove. This makes getting the message out incredibly difficult, the only time they have successfully got the message out in recent years was in 2017 when May poo poo the bed so badly with her manifesto that she had the media, who had slaughtered Corbyn's manifesto, leaked a few days before, as "worse than 1983's 'longest suicide note in history'", instead turn on her. This all came down to money, as her plans for elderly care would have liquidated the chattering class' property wealth.

Some of it does come down to 'idpol' but not in the sense people think. Most working-class people I sincerely believe aren't against minorities, whether ethnic or sexual. They are against however a parochial, hand-washing, liberal approach to it, which is to tell the white working-classes they are guilty. The white middle-classes cast the working-classes as bigots to absolve themselves, despite the working-classes having multi-ethnic neighbours, whereas white middle-classes intentionally ghettoise themselves. The Labour Party consistently aligns itself with the middle-class interpretation of race relations, and telling the average voter they should feel guilty is poison, not least when those voters live in some of the most deprived areas of the country and have done sod all, bar not frequent an Islington Eritrean restaurant and write about it for The Guardian.

Brexit ties into that imo for the reason above more than any actual politics on Europe. The Remainers have spent 5 years basing opposition to Brexit as a moral position, that Leavers are a rotten racist sort, while they take support of a business cartel to South Korean stan culture levels and ignore you know, letting thousands of Africans drown in the Med, which the EU chose to do when it refused to continue funding Italian state rescues and patrols.

People are tribal and once you break the taboo there's no going back. There's a lot of people out there who could never, ever bring themselves to vote Tory, but they've had 15 years of being offered Tory surrogates like UKIP and Brexit Party, who both offered populism and an alternative while not going into so much detail it became some profound choice to vote for them. Again both parties were painted as 'evil'. Once you've half-broken the taboo, you can break the taboo properly, which they did in 2019 voting for Tories. None of them are going to turn around and say in 2024 'that was a one off' or ever feel they morally can't vote Tory again.

Because of the nature of many of these seats and councils, who have been Labour... forever, there's a genuine feeling Labour are the party of power and the Tories are the opposition. The reason the Tories can pick up votes 11 years into power is because actually these places have never, ever voted Tory. For most you have to go back to abolished seats that covered the area in like the 20s to get a non-Labour MP.

Then there's the generational shift. Again, we haven't had the Labour Movement in power since 1979. Anyone under 40 has never lived even as a baby through one of those governments. 40 years of unchallenged neoliberalism has changed the sentiments on society and what one even wants. So this becomes a desire to shift society rather than politics even. Like people forget when Blair got into power his sincere desire was to turn the UK into a one party state, with New Labour floating where public opinion went, he didn't win an ideological battle-winning power, he promised not to rock the boat. He promised to do as people wished. If you're British you'll remember there were several bad train crashes in the late 90s / early 00s, because his brains trusts were telling him the public didn't care about rail funding lol.

The Tories reacted to Blair by bringing in Cameron, a Blair clone, and saying what the public wanted to hear. The Tories had changed. Hug a hoodie. etc. They got into power and held on to it and promised to be whatever the public wanted.

The state can't have two 'Parties of Power' and the Tories pipped Labour to it in 2010. Labour need to figure out a new message for a country that has had 40 years of neoliberalism being the status quo, and they can't rehash the promise of the 90s which got them into power, of 'we will do what the Tories did but without the sleaze' because nobody cares anymore, or rather, neoliberalism has rotted their sense of social obligation so much they care on a personal level but not a political one.

There's a lot of hard truths and Labour's factions won't address any of them, insisting they have the right answer. In fact it's both. 'we lost 2019 because of Starmer's Brexit policy!!' maybe, but I know several people who left Labour 'emotionally' in 2016 when Corbyn, on record as thinking the EU are anti-democratic crooks, campaigned to Remain. By 2019 they were voting Brexit Party or Tory. I mention this as it's a hard truth that both sides faltered but neither will acknowledge their own responsibility.

tl;dr hostile press, neoliberalism, societal shift, wrong (middle-class not working-class) brand of 'social justice', and pure hubris from all the factions in the Party. Labour haven't 'learned lessons' because they all think they are the group to teach the lesson and that the problem is other factions won't listen.

i think this is reasonably insightful and generally has lessons for left movements the world over. leftists tend to assume that the people want left policy because 1) it polls well (when phrased in certain ways) and 2) it's so self-evidently, obviously better than the alternative, i mean come on, it just makes sense, look at how much we pay for health care compared to every country in the world... the US left runs into this a lot with Medicare for All because the US healthcare system is such an incredibly obvious tire fire it's literally unbelievable for many leftists that anyone would prefer it. so leftists assume that the only reason they don't win is that people don't understand their policies.

what they're missing is that 40 years of neoliberalism hasn't just changed the way government interacts with people, it's fundamentally altered the way people perceive government and society. it's permanently altered their expectations. american voters understand that interacting with the health care system sucks, but they just straight-up don't believe that it's possible to be otherwise. if you tell them a better world is possible they will resent you for lying to them. british voters have similar problems. corbyn's message was "if we all try to take care of each other, we will make a better world for everyone" and it failed because a majority of british voters not only don't think that's possible but don't think it's desirable. like they fundamentally do not believe that it is their job to take care of anyone else's problems, nor is it anyone else's job to help them take care of theirs. outside of family or church ties, or other local community groups, there is no sense of shared civic obligation. there really is no such thing as society: that wasn't just a descriptive statement from thatcher, it was a prescriptive one, and thatcherism made sure it became the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

the problem is that people are morons

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kaveman posted:

the problem is that people are morons

that's grossly inaccurate, a significant part of the problem is that they're also racist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i think this is reasonably insightful and generally has lessons for left movements the world over. leftists tend to assume that the people want left policy because 1) it polls well (when phrased in certain ways) and 2) it's so self-evidently, obviously better than the alternative, i mean come on, it just makes sense, look at how much we pay for health care compared to every country in the world... the US left runs into this a lot with Medicare for All because the US healthcare system is such an incredibly obvious tire fire it's literally unbelievable for many leftists that anyone would prefer it. so leftists assume that the only reason they don't win is that people don't understand their policies.

what they're missing is that 40 years of neoliberalism hasn't just changed the way government interacts with people, it's fundamentally altered the way people perceive government and society. it's permanently altered their expectations. american voters understand that interacting with the health care system sucks, but they just straight-up don't believe that it's possible to be otherwise. if you tell them a better world is possible they will resent you for lying to them. british voters have similar problems. corbyn's message was "if we all try to take care of each other, we will make a better world for everyone" and it failed because a majority of british voters not only don't think that's possible but don't think it's desirable. like they fundamentally do not believe that it is their job to take care of anyone else's problems, nor is it anyone else's job to help them take care of theirs. outside of family or church ties, or other local community groups, there is no sense of shared civic obligation. there really is no such thing as society: that wasn't just a descriptive statement from thatcher, it was a prescriptive one, and thatcherism made sure it became the truth.

full disclosure: i am american and lurk this thread because it's funny when it's not me, the same reason you watch american politics

the strategy of the american right is being heavily exported to y'all and the keystone for that for the past 40-50 years has been "scream government doesn't work, get into power, cut the government's budget and outsource everything so it's actually impossible for the government TO work, say 'See? See? Government just doesn't work!'" and both of our parties have been steeped in that as truth since Clinton destroyed the old left, so even though the democrats can see what republicans are doing when they get in, gut the government, then scream it doesn't work, they can't really argue because their goal is also to gut and outsource government as much as possible, but being slightly nicer and more condescending about it.

it's wild to me labour is more hapless than the democrats but so it goes

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

There's these aliens in Doctor Who, where as soon as you stop looking at them you instantly forget everything about them.

I think the writers got the idea from watching Keith.

I just watched that and have no recollection of anything he said or what he sounds like.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the labour right is electable if you loving vote for them

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Now this is the stuff

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I want that in the style of a "Live Love Laugh" inspiration picture to hang on my wall.

"Change the things that need changing to bring about the change".

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Well, <snortlaugh> I’m not going to sit here and lay out the very smart plan I definitely have in this, ah, interview,

Either there’s a media training package that teaches every British politician to say this or they’ve all copied it off some Patient Zero of smug flailing. Both are inexplicable. How do they not notice how horrific it sounds. Hoowww

I miss early era Corbyn when he just answered questions like a thoughtful human being.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Time to man up and admit I was wrong about Starmer in the leadership contest. I called him a blandly tedious middle management Remainiac or smth and that was wrong of me and I’m sorry. I had no idea he would be this entertaining

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Too many reds still under the beds.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
only polling people who've been voting Tory for 50+ years is standard Labour procedure, you simpleton, you idiot. I bet you went to a polytechnic.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PawParole posted:

Labour, as in the Labour movement, hasn't held power since 1979. It could have held power in the 90s, but the Party buckled under internal pressure from backroom boys and very openly became the 'heirs of Thatcher' ie not Thatcherites explicitly but a clear downstream interpretation of the world she set up.

After 2019, lessons should have been learned, but both wings of the Party still believe they have the right answers and that the other wing is sabotaging them. Because both sides believe this, they do indeed sabotage one another, although neither actually has the right answer.

Labour doesn't have a base in the media. Like out of all the papers it has one sure supporter, The Mirror. Guardian has consistently over the years sided with Liberals/SDP/Lib Dems when push comes to shove. This makes getting the message out incredibly difficult, the only time they have successfully got the message out in recent years was in 2017 when May poo poo the bed so badly with her manifesto that she had the media, who had slaughtered Corbyn's manifesto, leaked a few days before, as "worse than 1983's 'longest suicide note in history'", instead turn on her. This all came down to money, as her plans for elderly care would have liquidated the chattering class' property wealth.

Some of it does come down to 'idpol' but not in the sense people think. Most working-class people I sincerely believe aren't against minorities, whether ethnic or sexual. They are against however a parochial, hand-washing, liberal approach to it, which is to tell the white working-classes they are guilty. The white middle-classes cast the working-classes as bigots to absolve themselves, despite the working-classes having multi-ethnic neighbours, whereas white middle-classes intentionally ghettoise themselves. The Labour Party consistently aligns itself with the middle-class interpretation of race relations, and telling the average voter they should feel guilty is poison, not least when those voters live in some of the most deprived areas of the country and have done sod all, bar not frequent an Islington Eritrean restaurant and write about it for The Guardian.

Brexit ties into that imo for the reason above more than any actual politics on Europe. The Remainers have spent 5 years basing opposition to Brexit as a moral position, that Leavers are a rotten racist sort, while they take support of a business cartel to South Korean stan culture levels and ignore you know, letting thousands of Africans drown in the Med, which the EU chose to do when it refused to continue funding Italian state rescues and patrols.

People are tribal and once you break the taboo there's no going back. There's a lot of people out there who could never, ever bring themselves to vote Tory, but they've had 15 years of being offered Tory surrogates like UKIP and Brexit Party, who both offered populism and an alternative while not going into so much detail it became some profound choice to vote for them. Again both parties were painted as 'evil'. Once you've half-broken the taboo, you can break the taboo properly, which they did in 2019 voting for Tories. None of them are going to turn around and say in 2024 'that was a one off' or ever feel they morally can't vote Tory again.

Because of the nature of many of these seats and councils, who have been Labour... forever, there's a genuine feeling Labour are the party of power and the Tories are the opposition. The reason the Tories can pick up votes 11 years into power is because actually these places have never, ever voted Tory. For most you have to go back to abolished seats that covered the area in like the 20s to get a non-Labour MP.

Then there's the generational shift. Again, we haven't had the Labour Movement in power since 1979. Anyone under 40 has never lived even as a baby through one of those governments. 40 years of unchallenged neoliberalism has changed the sentiments on society and what one even wants. So this becomes a desire to shift society rather than politics even. Like people forget when Blair got into power his sincere desire was to turn the UK into a one party state, with New Labour floating where public opinion went, he didn't win an ideological battle-winning power, he promised not to rock the boat. He promised to do as people wished. If you're British you'll remember there were several bad train crashes in the late 90s / early 00s, because his brains trusts were telling him the public didn't care about rail funding lol.

The Tories reacted to Blair by bringing in Cameron, a Blair clone, and saying what the public wanted to hear. The Tories had changed. Hug a hoodie. etc. They got into power and held on to it and promised to be whatever the public wanted.

The state can't have two 'Parties of Power' and the Tories pipped Labour to it in 2010. Labour need to figure out a new message for a country that has had 40 years of neoliberalism being the status quo, and they can't rehash the promise of the 90s which got them into power, of 'we will do what the Tories did but without the sleaze' because nobody cares anymore, or rather, neoliberalism has rotted their sense of social obligation so much they care on a personal level but not a political one.

There's a lot of hard truths and Labour's factions won't address any of them, insisting they have the right answer. In fact it's both. 'we lost 2019 because of Starmer's Brexit policy!!' maybe, but I know several people who left Labour 'emotionally' in 2016 when Corbyn, on record as thinking the EU are anti-democratic crooks, campaigned to Remain. By 2019 they were voting Brexit Party or Tory. I mention this as it's a hard truth that both sides faltered but neither will acknowledge their own responsibility.

tl;dr hostile press, neoliberalism, societal shift, wrong (middle-class not working-class) brand of 'social justice', and pure hubris from all the factions in the Party. Labour haven't 'learned lessons' because they all think they are the group to teach the lesson and that the problem is other factions won't listen.

A good post

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm grateful that kerth starmo has once again shown that centrism is a waste and a mess

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Cerebral Bore posted:

i'm grateful that kerth starmo has once again shown that centrism is a waste and a mess

Which is why they will reject leftism and become Tory Lite (and still lose to Tories)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the sheffield thing is so insane. normal people know that the british love their trees and the bigger and older the better. there was a whole scandal a few years back when some foreign train executive planned to cut down trees along the lines purely to stop leaves on the line being such a regular thing. you’d have to be such a dead eyed psycho councillorso sure of your invincibility to keep ordering tree cutting when the public clearly hate it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shogi posted:

I miss [...] Corbyn

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mantis42 posted:

the labour right is electable if you loving vote for them

shan't

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:lol:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
cry more

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2811793239089033&id=1478042625797441&sfnsn=mo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Often Abbreviated posted:

only polling people who've been voting Tory for 50+ years is standard Labour procedure, you simpleton, you idiot. I bet you went to a polytechnic.

Reminder that the only people they're focus grouping are people who went from labour to Tory in 2019

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Labour's been so obsessed with the anti-semitism witch hunt above everything else that they've ignored other ethnic minorities

Looks like they're losing the non-white vote as well ^_^

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rollie Fingers posted:

Labour's been so obsessed with the anti-semitism witch hunt above everything else that they've ignored other ethnic minorities

Looks like they're losing the non-white vote as well ^_^

lol there was a really damning report into islamophobia in the party that they refused to discuss. way worse than antisemitism afaik

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

People who've been victims of actual racism can spot fake anti-racism from a mile away. Starmer's haemorrhaged traditional Labour voters among ethnic minorities by marginalising leftist MPs who have strong relations with those communities.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_tree_felling_protests

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Communist Thoughts posted:

corbyn lost two generals and i dont remember how all the locals went for him, but the last lot were savage

so imo its only fair we let kier have the same except its just back to back disasters instead of a near miss

whoa, really????? in the UK?

corbyn lost one general and had a hung parliament in another. trying to reframe 2017 as a loss is incredibly stupid, not to mention counterproductive

you're not an idiot, stop having idiot takes please

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
Labour and the Democrats have the same realignment problems at the same time: working class people now vote their cultural interests and not their material interests.

Democrats solved it by bringing in educated suburban voters who are OK with left cultural issues, and don’t see the D economic program as a threat. They also take advantage of a monster-sized gender gap.

In the UK this failed and the Tories are now the party of the working class AND the professional & managerial class. This can’t last forever.

On Earth 2, Democrats nominated Sanders in 2016 and 2020 and were decimated, but Labour had a true center-left manifesto, a coherent anti-Brexit policy, and a charismatic Leader, and now have a small but solid majority Government.

The key to loving the Tories will be to find the weak spot in their coalition and attacking it with vigor. What group of people are holding their noses and voting Tory right now?

I know this seems counter-intuitive when base Labour voters are fleeing in droves, but this is how it works. You have to attack the enemy’s base and make it impossible for them to form a winning coalition. It is exactly what the Tories did. They are not immune.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

The new tory 2019 voters aren't holding their nose. They're gleefully revelling in the fact that they can openly be racist tory ghouls now

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Penistone

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PawParole posted:

this is a Good Post imo

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Kaveman posted:

The new tory 2019 voters aren't holding their nose. They're gleefully revelling in the fact that they can openly be racist tory ghouls now

Who cares? A vote is a vote. You want OLD Tory voters who aren’t into it so much anymore now that the party has changed.

Boris isn’t Ming the Merciless or the Mekon, he hasn’t used his hypnosis ray to con the UK into voting Tory.

He has a winning coalition FOR NOW. Breaking even a small part of it will puncture his air of inevitability.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn lost one general and had a hung parliament in another. trying to reframe 2017 as a loss is incredibly stupid, not to mention counterproductive

you're not an idiot, stop having idiot takes please

So who became pm in 2017?

I will never stop the bad takes but trying to say labour didn't lose the election where they didn't get to assume power... Who is that for?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So who became pm in 2017?

I will never stop the bad takes but trying to say labour didn't lose the election where they didn't get to assume power... Who is that for?

it's like saying that the germans won the battle of kursk because they inflicted more casualties than the soviets

a loss is something that deteriorates your position and allows the enemy to achieve their aims of the operation. 2017 did not do this, and it forced may to roll the DUP dice on managing to form the weakest government since callaghan. framing it as a loss for labour, nevermind corbynism, is ridiculous

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the "loss" condition of 2017 was the elimination of labour as a parliamentary force. that was what may was aiming for when she called the snap election, and it's what everyone expected. 2017 was a stalemate in practical terms, but most obviously it was a sign that corbynism had a potential majority/plurality to aim for, which framing 2017 as a loss (and the rest of your sadbrained coping) misses

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

*awkwardly loud drunk pub voice*

Answer the question: who became PM after the election?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

In the UK this failed and the Tories are now the party of the working class AND the professional & managerial class.

if anything I'd say Labour has succeeded at being the party of the svelte moneyed urban PMC to the absolute exclusion of all else. they've achieved the Democrat's dream of casting off the distasteful votes of minorities and trade unionists and become the party by, of, and for, blue check Twitterists. the fact they don't win elections isn't a problem, the only issue now is where the money comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

*awkwardly loud drunk pub voice*

Answer the question: who became PM after the election?

may

why are you doing this