Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I decided to pick up FF7 Remake for the first time last night and found myself sucked in for a few hours. Overall I'd say it does a good job of straddling nostalgia while being its own thing. A little disappointed that I assume I'm not going to be able to play the rest of it until I get a PS5

I lol'd at Badger from Breaking Bad turning up as Wedge at the start of the game. I had a look at the IMBD to confirm it and also found out I definitely would not have picked John DiMaggio as Heidegger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I decided to pick up FF7 Remake for the first time last night and found myself sucked in for a few hours. Overall I'd say it does a good job of straddling nostalgia while being its own thing. A little disappointed that I assume I'm not going to be able to play the rest of it until I get a PS5

I lol'd at Badger from Breaking Bad turning up as Wedge at the start of the game. I had a look at the IMBD to confirm it and also found out I definitely would not have picked John DiMaggio as Heidegger.

TIL very interesting & informative post ty!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Battlefield V really annihilated everything that made the menus in BF4 as smooth and functional as they were (which is to say not great but not this bad)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if you didn't beat bloodborne with just the threaded cane you didn't beat bloodborne

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BREAKING NEWS: Games mod murders own father?????? https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I spent all of yesterday playing CoD WWII (on the final mission now) and very much enjoyed the experienced. There is nothing special about it. You are a white all-American farmboy who does the checklist of famous western-front American WWII engagements (DDay to Paris to Battle of the Buldge to the Rhine) but it's an incredibly polished campaign that took the lessons of the dozens of WWII FPS games before it, and crafted a balanced, well-executed campaign with a pretty good story about the conflict between the main character and his NCO. the stealth mission in Paris where you play a resistance fighter was a nice, if too short, side bit

If you want a weekend to play a game where you kill Nazis, its a drat fine game to do that. Well worth the $10 I paid for it last year.

If a developer does a WWII FPS in the future I do hope we get some variety. Maybe a focus on the 761st "Black Panther" Tank Battalion or on some of the lesser known conflicts/battles/campaigns of the war. Battlefield 1 was pretty good about having different perspectives in it's campaigns (I haven't played 5 yet).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Akuma posted:

I feel like Ludwig's has a very similar (if not the same) move?

The Holy Moonlight Sword's normal version has the charged R2 follow-up swing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I spent all of yesterday playing CoD WWII (on the final mission now) and very much enjoyed the experienced.

Glad you enjoyed it. For some reason I didn't enjoy it compared to older CoD games and I still like CoD1, United Offensive expasion, CoD2 and World at War way more.

CoD WWII looked fantastic and had some decent setpieces but I kind of miss the whole "fight on all fronts" that the previous WWII games had.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Glad you enjoyed it. For some reason I didn't enjoy it compared to older CoD games and I still like CoD1, United Offensive expasion, CoD2 and World at War way more.

CoD WWII looked fantastic and had some decent setpieces but I kind of miss the whole "fight on all fronts" that the previous WWII games had.

Oh yea I sorely missed having missions / perspectives from other nations like the British or Soviets or Polish, ect.

If I had paid $60 for this back at release I would be disappointed but for $10 it's a hell of a ride and a great way to pass an afternoon.

I haven't checked out the multiplayer yet. Not sure how active it even is anymore.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

bows1 posted:

I think if you go through the tunnel and hug the left wall for awhile you'll get to door thats lit by torches and you can go up into a different area.

Also the cave with the Grisha in fallgrim has like 4 tunnels that lets you quickly traverse Fallgrim. Its a sort of intermediary point to "fast" travel.

Mortal Shell progress.

I found the place with all the monoliths. The distance between checkpoints is ridiculous. I slowly worked through it and beat the boss (blind first try, it wasn't that bad. Funny to see Kuato). Now it's dark and I'm getting sniped. This is less fun. So shroom harvesting is how I get heals?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Games mod murders own father?????? https://twitch.tv/videogamessa

Just noting that we’re still going! He’s at Fountainhead now

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
If you missed VG's stream, here are the highlights:

I Gave VG Some Bad Advice
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuspiciousAstuteAubergineFutureMan-huc1gPsqTmSf4At2

Just Another Day at Fountainhead Palace
https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyTrappedChamoisBudBlast-XVpQescBT3wAahXC

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Both of these happening in less than a minute was just :discourse:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That really was a great 1-2 punch.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is there a Battlefield V thread? I'm sure it's dead by now, but it got released for free this month and my coworkers are getting into it. It's hard as poo poo

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

snagged a copy of dark souls remastered after beating demons souls

capra demon is proof that the creators of these games hate their customers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Capra Demon stinks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got inspired by Veeg’s stream to start Sekiro again. Played for about five hours today (I should be very asleep right now) and got to exploring the castle area in the main story and just before LB in Hirata. I was worried that I had lost all my skills but I’m doing pretty drat well. Even got Gyoubu first try! His attacks are actually super fuckin easy to deflect when you’re not intimidated by him. Hopefully I can finish it this time!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You didn't finish? Aw man. I really hope you do. Good luck! You can do it.

I went back because I saw all the things VG was doing and it had been nagging at me for 2 years to come so close but not finish. I'm really glad I got it done. Not knowing what to do I ended up playing Demon's Souls and finishing it pretty quickly. I don't think a single boss challenged me as much as Gyoubu did the first time. I might try Dark Souls next. We'll see.

I'm honestly curious how VG will react to ISS. He's such a step up in difficulty from anything else in the game. It's pretty brutal. I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My second time through Sekiro (which led into my third time through, and my fourth time through), I used this cheatsheet to make sure I didn't miss anything, and it really made me feel a lot more focused and determined to finish it. Ultimately it's what made me want to go for the platinum after not even bothering to try fighting the final boss on my first playthrough back at launch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

You didn't finish? Aw man. I really hope you do. Good luck! You can do it.

Thank you! I got to the point where all I had to do was the three hardest bosses, but I ran out of time before my PS5 came. Definitely feeling very capable, although this may change after I give LB a few attempts haha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Hmm yeah. I already have a warfare sword n board guy so my spear guy was mostly polymorph with a splash of warfare but polymorph doesn't scale very well with finesse :(

I didn't realize this until pretty late but any character doing any type of physical damage should have warfare as their number one stat. It's not just for sword and board guys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And by "realized" I mean people told me about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't realize this until pretty late but any character doing any type of physical damage should have warfare as their number one stat. It's not just for sword and board guys.

Yeah it kinda sucks cuz if you're playing on any sort of difficulty level it means you cant really gently caress around with gimmicky or sub optimal builds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can experiment. You just want to basically max out warfare on anything that isn't dealing elemental damage. It's a dumb stat though. Completely broken and poorly communicated imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely feeling very capable, although this may change after I give LB a few attempts haha

Well, uh….never mind! Another first try, although barely. I think the muscle memory I’ve retained + watching Veeg has really helped.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, uh….never mind! Another first try, although barely. I think the muscle memory I’ve retained + watching Veeg has really helped.

Heck yeah! Maybe I need to really pull the stops out if I am to beat the last three first!! ;D

So glad people are picking up games again because of my ridiculousness. :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Resi8 out of stock everywhere in my country :negative:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Would have thought there'd be a few second hand copies available :cheeky:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Resi8 out of stock everywhere in my country :negative:

They have run out of digital bytes?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
daaaaaamn that av

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

daaaaaamn that av

:ninja::aaaaa::ninja:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

They have run out of digital bytes?

If I buy digital I can’t give it to my friends

:angel:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Is there a Battlefield V thread? I'm sure it's dead by now, but it got released for free this month and my coworkers are getting into it. It's hard as poo poo

Is still active: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868101

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

daaaaaamn that av

I am so happy with it.

Also still mulling over whether Sekiro or Bloodborne is better. Currently this is how I am ranking them:

5: Dark Souls
4: Dark Souls II
3: Dark Souls III

???? Sekiro/Bloodborne.

So far pros for Bloodborne:

My first From game.
The design is phenomenal and the obtuseness of the world is craftily hidden but very accessible.
The weapon design and combat is great and fast.
I connected with it and opened a whole new world of playing games (I no longer choose easy modes).
Boss design is beyond expectations and so memorable that I smile at the thoughts.

Pros for Sekiro:
The tightest and most realised combat I have played in a game.
The story is traditional magic and I seriously dig it.
The speed of movement and verticality is unreal in this kind of action game and fluid.
It looks gorgeous and those dojos and houses feel like they would be real places the NPCs would live (I chatted about my thoughts on odd placement of game world stuff during the DS1 stream).
The difficulty is the toughest of all From games but in the most fair way ever.

It really is a tricky one :)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Thank you! I shot down an airplane with a flak gun and another airplane from another airplanes tail gun it was so cool they were like ppppftftftftftffffffwwWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR and I was like KTCHKTCHJTCHKTCHJTCH

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Bloodborne is the ultimate evolution of the souls formula so it’s probably the “better” and overall more accessible game. However, what From was able to accomplish with Sekiro’s combat is absolutely mind numbing. It’s such a satisfying game to play. Once I finally get around to finishing it I’m pretty sure it will rank above BB for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One huge plus in the BB column for me is the soundtrack. Absolutely best in class stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Bloodborne is a better game because it has way, way more replayability than Sekiro. Sekiro is a good game but once you’ve gotten good at Sekiro, that’s it, you’re good at Sekiro. If you beat Bloodborne, there are like 5-6 different ways to play the game, and also you can play it in kind of any order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Bloodborne is the perfect From game. Best elements of everything — including aggressive combat like Sekiro even though Sekiro came out later.

I think Sekiro was the natural progression for From. There’s a very identifiable evolution in their games and combat.