Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"It's this uncompromising inter-dimensional deleting laser."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2M7mxNjP_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Well. That was a very very silly Tainted Cain run.

Managed to get every single completion mark in 1 run. (Aside from Greed Mode which is a separate thing.) I had 140,162.4+ DPS by the end of that run! Everything melted instantly, boss armor be damned.

Despite the Alabaster Box nerf, Tainted Cain can still get snowballing hard with a decent enough start. Just make sure to craft Birthright at some point to make the crafting easier. The earlier, the better.

First, craft an active item. Portable Slot Machine is one of the easiest ones since the recipe is 8 pennies.

Then, find the secret room and craft another active item in the secret room. This will cause your current active item to immediately explode into pickups, one of which should be a bone heart.

Use that bone heart to craft Rock Bottom. (1 bone heart + 4 pennies + 3 keys is one of the easiest recipes for it.) Then, craft red stew for a permanent massive damage boost. (6 pennies, 1 key, and 1 bomb is a super easy recipe.)

Then, craft Soy Milk. (Lotta easy recipes for this one, but 5 hearts + 3 bombs should be the easiest one.)

And for maximum overkill, craft Monstro's Lung.(4 hearts, 2 pennies, 1 bomb, 1 pill. Or 1 penny, 6 keys, and 1 bomb are easy recipes for that one.)

Congratulations, you are now a vomiting death machine as Soy Milk in Repentance completely gets rid of the charge time on any charged attack. From there do whatever the hell you want. If you can't get into the boss rush or hush in time, make Mama Mega so you can do that. Especially if you opt for the R Key method to complete multiple runs, as the R Key does not reset the timer. Only the Beast and Mega Satan can instantly end the run, so do those guys last if you're doing completion marks. Do Mega Satan before you do the Beast, as Mega Satan only has a 50% chance to end the run if you have the Void unlocked.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 8, 2021

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i havent looked up recipes for tainted cain cause i feel part of the fun is trying random poo poo (obviously keeping in mind rarer drops give you cooler stuff) and seeing what the gently caress happens, but i fear that this style of play while extremely fun is not conducive to boss rush and hush marks.
those really feel like they require you to go in knowing very specific poo poo to give you a chance at making it in time

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
You guys, this game is too easy. I just cleared Hush and Delirium as Tainted Keeper without taking a hit, all it took was having the soul, psy fly, night light and tech x

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i havent looked up recipes for tainted cain cause i feel part of the fun is trying random poo poo (obviously keeping in mind rarer drops give you cooler stuff) and seeing what the gently caress happens, but i fear that this style of play while extremely fun is not conducive to boss rush and hush marks.
those really feel like they require you to go in knowing very specific poo poo to give you a chance at making it in time

That’s most likely how Tainted Cain was meant to be played yeah. Working with what you’ve got (and basking in the sheer amount of pickups you get along the way.)

That being said yeah, I would say in general, reaching boss rush and Hush is harder than it used to be. Hush has a bit more leeway but boss rush is pretty strict on timing I found for most characters really.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the rushes for tainted cain is pretty easy since you can craft mama mega. just don’t go into the devil/angel room after killing mom. learned that the hard way

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Too Many Birds posted:

can someone explain to me like you would to an idiot baby toddler how rock bottom works exactly

number only go up

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Araxxor posted:

That’s most likely how Tainted Cain was meant to be played yeah. Working with what you’ve got (and basking in the sheer amount of pickups you get along the way.)

I tried playing Tainted Cain that way the first couple of times and thought it pretty much sucked. The runs all ended up feeling like your classic run where never get anything particularly great and can probably limp your way to It Lives but good luck beyond that. Whenever I saved up all the good pickups from two floors I'd always end up just cycling between solid-but-not-run-saving items like Cat-o-Ninetails or Holy Water. Great playstyle if you like having a sky high range stat, tho.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm using Tainted Cain to clear everyone's Greedier mode right now, so I'll try the monsto's lung method. The best path I found was rock bottom - polyphemus - sacred heart - godhead - soy milk - tractor beam - kidney stone. Kidney stone is actually the key, as that plus soy milk skyrockets your tear rate. Tainted Isaac keeps showing up more often than you'd want which ends/crashes your run, but there are other fun things to watch out for. I was able to win with Tainted Azazel and Forgotten, despite them not being able to shoot tears and move, respectively.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

can someone explain to me like you would to an idiot baby toddler how rock bottom works exactly

Your stat will always be the highest it's ever been since you've picked up Rock Bottom.

It still tracks your ACTUAL stats, but your highest value in memory will be applied. I believe flat changes will be ignored, like Small Rock's speed down, but MODIFIERS will remain tied to your ACTUAL (and only your ACTUAL, not active) stats.

So, like, if you grab a Soy Milk and tank your damage, Rock Bottom will remember your previous highest damage value and use it. But your ACTUAL damage value is run through Soy Milk's negative modifier, and to ever increase your damage you would still need to get your ACTUAL damage back above the value Rock Bottom remembers.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 8, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I feel like Tainted Cain would benefit big from a starting damage+tears increase. That way you wouldn't feel pressure to look up the easiest stat-ups to craft and could have more fun experimenting and taking what comes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm using Tainted Cain to clear everyone's Greedier mode right now, so I'll try the monsto's lung method. The best path I found was rock bottom - polyphemus - sacred heart - godhead - soy milk - tractor beam - kidney stone. Kidney stone is actually the key, as that plus soy milk skyrockets your tear rate. Tainted Isaac keeps showing up more often than you'd want which ends/crashes your run, but there are other fun things to watch out for. I was able to win with Tainted Azazel and Forgotten, despite them not being able to shoot tears and move, respectively.

Yeah, the reason the Monstro's Lung route is great is because all the items involved are low quality items, so they're a lot easier to craft, and they end up making you a harbinger of death with a lot less effort compared to trying to make stuff like Polyphemus or Sacred Heart. It gives you a lot more freedom on what to craft too since your power level is super high after that, so there's less need to hunt down more power, and you can focus on crafting utility items instead.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, the reason the Monstro's Lung route is great is because all the items involved are low quality items, so they're a lot easier to craft, and they end up making you a harbinger of death with a lot less effort compared to trying to make stuff like Polyphemus or Sacred Heart. It gives you a lot more freedom on what to craft too since your power level is super high after that, so there's less need to hunt down more power, and you can focus on crafting utility items instead.

I'd highly recommend flat stone to go with Monstro's Lung using this route since it's the easiest way to fix the horrible range you end up with.

Did everyone else know that Tarot Cloth buffed the tarot cards in new ways? Hermit and Stars in particular are really nice changes.
https://platinumgod.co.uk/tarot-cloth

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

GuavaMoment posted:

I'd highly recommend flat stone to go with Monstro's Lung using this route since it's the easiest way to fix the horrible range you end up with.

Did everyone else know that Tarot Cloth buffed the tarot cards in new ways? Hermit and Stars in particular are really nice changes.

I wondered why that one time I teleported to the shop out of the mom fight that it was a shop again after previously having fought greed in there. Now I know! I must have had tarot cloth. Those are some nice changes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Am I right in thinking different babies have different caps?

I had seven robo babies but only three seraphim.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Araxxor posted:

I was gonna ask "why not Ipecac" and as it turns out that requires a fair amount of rare poo poo (1 red + 2 soul hearts + 1 penny + 3 nickels + 1 lucky penny + 1 card OR 3 soul hearts + 2 keys + 1 penny + 1 card + 1 charged key OR 2 soul hearts + 2 keys + bomb + card + pill + golden bomb OR 1 soul heart + 1 bomb + 1 penny + 1 pill + 3 nickels + 1 eternal heart)

Shame really. Rock Bottom + Ipecac ensures your tears are always 40 damage too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

widespread posted:

I was gonna ask "why not Ipecac" and as it turns out that requires a fair amount of rare poo poo (1 red + 2 soul hearts + 1 penny + 3 nickels + 1 lucky penny + 1 card OR 3 soul hearts + 2 keys + 1 penny + 1 card + 1 charged key OR 2 soul hearts + 2 keys + bomb + card + pill + golden bomb OR 1 soul heart + 1 bomb + 1 penny + 1 pill + 3 nickels + 1 eternal heart)

Shame really. Rock Bottom + Ipecac ensures your tears are always 40 damage too.

Yeah, quality isn't a stat that's used a whole lot right now, as only Tainted Lost really uses it to get better runs than usual, but it really matters for Tainted Cain, as it's essentially his version of the item weighting mechanic. Quality 3 items basically require lots of soul hearts or nickels to craft with maybe some rare ingredients, while quality 4 items flat out require a good amount of rare ingredients. Quality 0 to 2 items on the other hand, are much easier to craft.

Also I get the feeling the quality ratings were applied before Edmund's balance changes, as some of them are super out of date. Holy Water is far better than most items in the quality 0 category and quality 1 category nowadays.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 9, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so loving tilted lol

Had a amazing samson run. Absolutely overpowered. 12 damage with max tears, lightsaber from the sword and tech, full hearts just a million things going for me. Found the new Fortune? card I unlocked and 'huh wonder what machine that spawns.'

Down to base stats with breakfast loadout before Dogma :downs:

I say lol to hide the pain.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm so loving tilted lol

Had a amazing samson run. Absolutely overpowered. 12 damage with max tears, lightsaber from the sword and tech, full hearts just a million things going for me. Found the new Fortune? card I unlocked and 'huh wonder what machine that spawns.'

Down to base stats with breakfast loadout before Dogma :downs:

I say lol to hide the pain.

i had basically the same thing happen to me the first time i found that card

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao

I almost certainly could've done this without spending 4 god drat hours on this single run but if I did that then I couldn't have devoured every single trinket, could I??

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 9, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GuavaMoment posted:

Just be careful with Monstro's Lung, last time I made it with Tainted Cain it just turned off my ability to fire tears entirely. Probably because I lost the ability to fire tears with Tech 2, then regained it with Mutant Spider, but Monstro's Lung lost it again and relegated me to just Tech 2. I guess maybe the real lesson is to be careful of Tech 2 on Tainted (or regular) Cain.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
god i hate this stupid piece of poo poo boss i have never had it instahit me twice back to back, first with mom's foot stupid bullshit and then when it transformed into a different form from mom's foot (transforms on top of you cause moms foot tracks your xy coordinates constantly)

i cant wait for the rumored rework cause holy loving poo poo i'm *mad*

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I really hope Delirium gets touched up into something respectable. A shame one of the ending paths just shits itself so hard at the end. Good concept, but a horrible execution.

I also hope Knife Piece 2 becomes "skippable" at some point like in Antibirth. Mother's not what I would consider a great boss, but she's very doable once you learn her and is pretty middle of the road as far as final bosses go. But I find that the Mines chase is the real demotivator for Corpse runs. It's a cool set piece the first time, but gets old on repeat playthroughs. The Mirror World at least is a cool risk-reward mechanic you can choose to engage in to get even more power.

Blank Card + Joker is super broken during the Home path. You can use it during the Ascent and in Home to gain way more power than you were supposed to. Find The Stairway on top of that an enjoy all the influx of Angel (and maybe Devil) deal items that come your way while strolling on back up. I went from having an okay Blue Baby run to shredding Dogma and Beast within seconds. And it's only a 2 room charge to boot.

And yes, I really suggest avoiding tear modifiers in the Monstro's Lung Tainted Cain build. Tear modifiers don't play well with super high rates of fire. Godhead works with it, but that's the only safe one I've found. Stuff like Brimstone can just end up leaving you completely defenseless since the game can glitch out sometimes and leave you with absolutely no way to attack.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Blank Card + Joker is super broken during the Home path. You can use it during the Ascent and in Home to gain way more power than you were supposed to. Find The Stairway on top of that an enjoy all the influx of Angel (and maybe Devil) deal items that come your way while strolling on back up. I went from having an okay Blue Baby run to shredding Dogma and Beast within seconds. And it's only a 2 room charge to boot.

I got Filigree Feather and Stairway on my Azazel mother run, definitely the quickest go I've had at her so far. Like 14 angel items lol. If only I had sacred heart too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMu6SFPLg3w

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I am currently in a curse of the lost Void run and i am rapidly losing the will to live

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Everyone says birthright is great but I can't even get past the caverns with J&E. Goddam these characters suck so much rear end. I can't wait until mods are released and we can just mod out one of these two.

Edit: Oh, I see to get rock bottom I need to somehow beat boss rush with this scrap set of characters too? Could I use Steam Achievement Manager to unlock these items? I'm so sick of wasting my time.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 9, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i have played exactly one run with J+E so far, got entirely mediocre items, and still made it all the way through the chest

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

flatluigi posted:

i have played exactly one run with J+E so far, got entirely mediocre items, and still made it all the way through the chest

I'm really struggling with these characters. What was your general strategy? Did you take the alt floors?

I find that the run goes "okay" until I get a certain room, where they get split up and wrecked. It's so frustrating.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've done most of the hard mode marks with J and E, if you aren't going for speed with them (boss rush/hush) then alt floors help a ton as you can grab 2 items at once with them, including angel room items, the polaroid/negative and even boss rush items if the layout isn't too messed up. Because of this Options and More Options are even better than usual. I try and keep their health around even, and frequently move Jacob alone with control. Really wish there was a button to move Esau alone too...Flight can make the run extremely rough if you only get it on one of the two.

Cards like the Sun only work on the character using them, I lost a delirium run learning that the hard way

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 9, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What if J+E had been auto fire like demon baby and the two sticks just were movement for each of them like in Brothers.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

man delirium just isn’t fun at all to fight

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The two items at once thing is really painful. You need to do it because J+E is a dogshit character where you're hoping for a highroll, but there's so much risk of instantly ruining your run. Like usually I'm happy to try and make alternate fire stuff like Ipecac work but they are absolutely horrible when your other character still has regular tears.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My best runs with J&E have just been giving Jacob all the good items and ignoring everything but HP on Esau. That said, they suck and I hate them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been splitting items more recently. Esau is better to stack in general because he has a higher damage multiplier but there are enough diminishing returns for tears and flat damage eventually that it's not bad putting some damage on Jacob, plus I find having damage on both protects them a little better. Obviously if you find a mushroom/cricket's head/sacred heart/anything else explicitly multiplicative it's better to stack one harder.

I find when I play jacob takes a lot more damage for whatever reason.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

No Wave posted:

I've been splitting items more recently. Esau is better to stack in general because he has a higher damage multiplier but there are enough diminishing returns for tears and flat damage eventually that it's not bad putting some damage on Jacob, plus I find having damage on both protects them a little better. Obviously if you find a mushroom/cricket's head/sacred heart/anything else explicitly multiplicative it's better to stack one harder.

I find when I play jacob takes a lot more damage for whatever reason.

I got guppy’s collar with Esau on a Beast run and i died about fifteen times before killing the beast. Is it broken or should I start buying lottery tickets?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've seen quite a few posts on Reddit reporting infinite lives on J+E. Not sure what triggers it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

just had a pretty strong run going for a beast kill, when i got to gehenna i wasn’t super confident in my survival since i only had 4 red hearts and a single soul heart so i decide to turn every stone on the floor. the last possible location i check for the secret room is correct and contains the r key.

needless to say i beat the beast

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Fish for libraries early with J&E, you often get hp generation and/or book worm.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I think I posted about it earlier but my best j and e run was definitely from a library that had the satanic bible, revelations and virtues in it. Easy money at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
J+E is just such a different playstyle that I'm finding it very frustrating. I have most of the completion marks on rebirth Lost so I can at least manage a challenge (even though I suspect I brute forced it by mashing "R" until I got a good start).

But even with doing the same R mashing with J+E it just seems so much more difficult to get momentum going, and this is on normal!