Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

how many by-elections can one man lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith's whole illusion-of-success has been because the media has been incredibly supportive of him.
When they're almost universally dogpiling him for shits and giggles, Shirley someone has to tell him the jig is up?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Are there any mechanisms in the labour party to force a leadership election and any factions capable or willing to do so?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Are there any mechanisms in the labour party to force a leadership election and any factions capable or willing to do so?

You need someone to get a certain number of supporters in the PLP (50 maybe I can't remember - it might have been reduced and i can't remember if it is an actual number or a %) to force an election. Same with Deputy.
I don't know if someone gets stuck in jail or some other illegal act whether they have to step down.

Ed: Just found out you need 40 MPs to support a challenger for Leader.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 10, 2021

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Like I've said before, the Labour right must be completely enamored with themselves this weekend with how much they've neutered any possible challenge to neoliberalism in Britain.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

People also voted against Blair and the Iraq war in the locals, all votes, including deciding not to vote, are symbolic and not necessarily logically connected to their actual ends.
Also the locals around the brexit vote became a huge brexit statement to the point that the Libs were using them as evidence that the people wanted a 2nd ref.

I feel like the various elections and news revelations since 2017 have really shown the public that there's a huge divide in the Labour party, and people are have realised just how aligned against them the labour right are after costing Corbyn a victory out of spite.

It's clearly no longer a case of 'Oh I'll vote labour to keep the tories out,' It's now a case of 'which side of labour am I strengthening because if it's the blairites they can gently caress off.'

I know I'm only really seeing one side of the story here, but this seems like a really clear and obvious statement by the public that they absolutely do not loving want the Labour right, and all the ghouls are trying to find ways to manufacture consent in the press by either spinning the stats or just outright lying.

I can only speak for my own dumb guy choices but I didn't vote in the county council election because when I tried to look up our local candidates statements, I couldn't find any and I couldn't prove they weren't right wing twats who would vote with the tories.

With the local council, I did manage to find the statement of the local Labour candidate, she seemed to have good stated values.

It wasn't so much a grand statement against the Labour party or even one faction within it, as much as it was not wanting any labour right ghouls in charge of my area.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
https://twitter.com/MattNixson/status/1391035747617095682?s=19

Sun journalist posting about death of a colleague, read the replies for a surprise.

He killed his wife

https://twitter.com/MattNixson/status/1391433728497496071?s=19

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not entirely sure who would actually want to take up leadership (besides Andy), Labour's probably going to lose more seats and any faction holding the bag is going to look bad. Left should let the right hang themselves, Right have to internally be aware that it's better to let Starmer soak up the blame than to release Centerbot 2.0 to lose in the exact same way.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

https://twitter.com/MattNixson/status/1391035747617095682?s=19

Sun journalist posting about death of a colleague, read the replies for a surprise.

He killed his wife

https://twitter.com/MattNixson/status/1391433728497496071?s=19

Eh, to be fair literal murder is a lesser crime than working for the Sun.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

XMNN posted:

she looks just like a normal person in the street wearing normal clothes

https://twitter.com/ChrisKPH/status/1391438362142248960?s=19

clearly she should be wearing a shiny blue suit to emphasise she is a woman of the people

thought this for ages but I genuinely reckon politicians being more casual/down to earth when campaigning would massively help. Boris gets by by being a character, let peoples personalities shine through instead of being formal robots all the time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Did he have any juicy voicemails when he died?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

namesake posted:

There's bound to plenty of other places in the country to watch as well but an extremely important MP to watch now will be Thangam Debonnaire, Shadow Cabinet Minister for Housing. Nearly all the council seats in her area have gone to Greens from Labour and she's been anagonistic to her CLP and Momentum Bristol, lovely to the left in general but also hyper loving paranoid about losing her seat - demanding way more canvassing in 2017 and 2019 in her area than was sensible or required. She must be absolutely making GBS threads herself now and so she's going to be a real indication of the power of the left (in Bristol) over Labour - if they can bring her to heel and actually start getting her to make statements in support of various local activist issues then the Labour left is capable of organising and has some weight to throw around. If she keeps being all melty then one of the largest and angriest grassroots left organisations in Labour is finished and that's an awful indication of any hope they have about getting back in control of the party.

This is solid analysis but I wouldn’t hold my breath; I’ve never personally interacted with a politician less likely to admit they’re wrong than Thangam. Obviously there’s the recent CLP issues but she’s been at loggerheads with activists for years now. The entire LGBT+ wing of Bristol Labour had to unite and tell her to gently caress off publicly supporting Sarah Ditum’s transphobia, and it’s done gently caress all given they’re still besties and she’s still promoting her.

It’s a shame she’s well connected and can stuff selection meetings/trigger ballots with allies who are, on paper, members of the party. Also sucks she’s just been promoted to shadow leader of the house.

I can’t stand my MP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea that you can bring MPs to heel with threats is a bit iffy given that they have clearly shown that they will just climb out of the car and stick their head in front of grill so it hits first at the bottom of the cliff rather than heed any suggestion that they might not want to drive off in the first place.

You don't become a center right idiot without an axiomatic belief in your own correctness.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I just think its funny the emergency nebulous policy is Jobs, Jobs, Jobs when he is busy figuring out which of his closest colleagues he can sack.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Tories are looking at renters, the link between home ownership and voting Tory, and stroking their chins thoughtfully:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-to-relax-rules-on-building-new-homes-026n0r3p5

The Times posted:

Boris Johnson will use home ownership to cement Tory dominance of the Midlands and north for a generation, pressing ahead with the biggest shake-up of the planning system for more than 70 years.

Cabinet ministers believe that the key to many of the Conservative Party’s extraordinary gains in last week’s local elections was the number of people who owned their homes.

A planning bill set to be included in tomorrow’s Queen’s Speech is aimed at expanding rates of home ownership across small cities and towns in areas where, only recently, Conservative support was all but non-existent.

The reforms, seen as crucial to Johnson’s “levelling-up” agenda, will simplify the planning process, making it more difficult for existing homeowners to block new housing schemes.

It's early days but if the Tories decisively shift towards helping renters into ownership at the exact same time that Labour appoint a landlord as their housing minister, that would completely fit in with the current political dynamic. Starmer stammering on about how landlords play an important role and how Labour understand their aspirations, while the Tories roar: "Housing security for all!"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Tories are looking at renters, the link between home ownership and voting Tory, and stroking their chins thoughtfully:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-to-relax-rules-on-building-new-homes-026n0r3p5

It's early days but if the Tories decisively shift towards helping renters into ownership at the exact same time that Labour appoint a landlord as their housing minister, that would completely fit in with the current political dynamic. Starmer stammering on about how landlords play an important role and how Labour understand their aspirations, while the Tories roar: "Housing security for all!"

Hmm. I doubt it. its just performative, Labour have no policies, yet we're building the pyramids in Slingsbury!

Please ignore we are burning people to death.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
You wouldn't have thought the Tories would switch to spending to invest and nationalising airports, and yet here we are :shrug:

If the Tories calculate that they can afford to lose 1m landlord votes in posh areas, if it means they gain 4m tenant votes in marginal areas, then it's all up for Labour.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

who?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well yeah, the hard right party was always going to be able to attack from the left more than the centre right useless centrists can attack rightwards. How would they even do it? Just go full nazi?

It's why trying to emulate the Tories for more votes is such a stupid concept. People already have a tory party. They're happy with their tory party.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1391631374428344320

:thunk:

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

You wouldn't have thought the Tories would switch to spending to invest and nationalising airports, and yet here we are :shrug:

If the Tories calculate that they can afford to lose 1m landlord votes in posh areas, if it means they gain 4m tenant votes in marginal areas, then it's all up for Labour.

Yeah, and if it does help people then that should be applauded. It's not the first time they've tried something like this though - Cameron and May also said they wanted to expand housing and that just didn't happen. I guess we'll see if they actually deliver this time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Johnson currently has a lot of political capital built up, which he's clearly eager to spend. There's an obvious argument against it, which is: but the Tories are the party of landlords! My answer to that is that Johnson's never hesitated to gently caress over supporters before, if he feels he can achieve some greater benefit from doing so. Look at the fishing industry; look at his promises to NI; imagine the media events with Johnson surrounded by cheering and grateful 1st time buyers. I can absolutely see him doing some big housing policy shift onto Labour turf that leaves Starmer and co. scurrying around in a panic, awkwardly trying to defend the status quo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He doesn't even have to do it, he just needs to say he is.

Same with all those spending announcements 2 weeks ago. The Tories are now policywise more left of Labour. It doesn't matter that in practice it will never go ahead because now Labour have to veer even further left which we all know they wont do, or they get stuck treading water and lose even more of the young vote.

They're just really fuckin dumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The same story as the rest of the world; the centrists have become fanatical true believers in what the tories are well aware was just ad copy to be discarded when it's no longer useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Building more houses isn't going to increase the rate of home ownership because it isn't constrained by lack of physical supply. It's just throwing more fuel onto the property bubble.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is it really a bubble if permanently maintaining it is a core committment of the British state? Makes u think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't think Boris is physiologically capable of enacting a scheme as mundane and achievable as "build houses and get people owning them", it's all got to be 30 km long bridges over a munitions abyss or subterranean, suboceanic tunnel networks which include a roundabout bigger than the Isle of Mann.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

capitalism itself is a bubble, just a large one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think Boris is physiologically capable of enacting a scheme as mundane and achievable as "build houses and get people owning them", it's all got to be 30 km long bridges over a munitions abyss or subterranean, suboceanic tunnel networks which include a roundabout bigger than the Isle of Mann.

I was going to say, "Nah, he'll leave it to someone less important to do". But then I checked who the Housing Secretary is and it's Robert 'Manilla Envelope' Jenrick.
He'll approve anything as long as you put enough money in front of him.

[edit]
The problem is that the profits are all in building expensive, badly-constructed bijou flats in London for criminals foreign investors to buy.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 10, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ms Adequate posted:

You could trick Boris into building a bunch of high rise flats by sticking a couple of doric columns on some brutalist blueprints

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sunak can’t resist a bit of trolling

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1391658057038454786

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

extremely bad that Tories are pressing ahead with Voter ID requirements without even a loving sniff of visible opposition

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Necrothatcher posted:

extremely bad that Tories are pressing ahead with Voter ID requirements without even a loving sniff of visible opposition

See Sunaks tweet above for reference to how the government how perceives the 'opposition' in this country lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

Labour loving love mandatory ID cards, they won't even abstain on this.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Voter ID would be much less of an issue if we did have mandatory ID cards

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the Tories want the liberal option where voter ID is mandatory but ID isn't so you have to go out of your way and you have to pay for itpoor people can't vote.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Labour "opposition". Why don't Labour right wingers just join the Tories and be done with it. I guess they went to the wrong schools.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them likely also believe they are different from the tories.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
A week or two back I saw somebody on twitter genuinely say that posting that photo of Mandelson with Epstein is incredibly problematic because it plays into harmful tropes about gay men being paedophiles and every other day since I've found myself laughing remembering it. I'm genuinely concerned that it'll be the last thing I'll think about on my deathbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those are the same people who claim to believe that remembering that Epstein was a noncemaster plays into harmful antisemitic tropes.