Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm late to the party but man Dark Side of the Ring: Benoit is a hell of a watch. Fantastic show, really well done, brought back a lot of sad memories of that insane time period.I think it made the issue a bit more nuanced but man is it hard to relive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

PWInsider posted:

Did you hear how people in WWE felt about Blood And Guts?

I have heard from people in management and they hated it. One person told me, and I quote, “That just set the business back 30 years”. Did it? I don’t know but I was told that the people in charge weren’t happy. On the other hand, I talked to wrestlers that loved it because they would love to do something like that themselves.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how much higher were ratings thirty years ago lol

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
drat, they set the business back to it’s cultural peak, dumbasses

to be honest the best war games match I ever saw besides the dangerous alliance one that is monumental was the women’s NxT one. AEW’s wasn’t quite top five for me, it’d be probably the 6th best i’ve seen. It was still a very good match and the MJF moment was iconic. WWE is tripping and jealous even though they’ve done it better recently, probably because they don’t consider what those women did because it was a top 3 war games ever easily.

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 10, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Eat My Fuc posted:

one that is monumental was the women’s NxT one

the one with the kai turn? that poo poo was awesome

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is that the one where Rhea Ripley looked like a hyper-competant monster and extremely bookable wrestling machine just before whatever process they subject people to when they call them up turned her into a complete wet fart?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

to be honest the best war games match I ever saw besides the dangerous alliance one that is monumental was the women’s NxT one. AEW’s wasn’t quite top five for me, it’d be probably the 6th best i’ve seen. It was still a very good match and the MJF moment was iconic. WWE is tripping and jealous even though they’ve done it better recently, probably because they don’t consider what those women did because it was a top 3 war games ever easily.

The recent war game matches have all been better than blood and guts and WWE is still jealous and scared. They really don't know what to do with competition anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how much higher were ratings thirty years ago lol

Wrestling was about to enter the dark ages in North America so this could be really bad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Golden Bee posted:

Dolph was doing amateur wrestling since age 9. I don’t think it’s fair to call him an OVW guy.
IF we're excluding people with an amateur wrestling background from being 'trained' in pro wrestling, that takes Lesnar/Benjamin out of the old OVW "class" of wrestling trainees, or Big E/Angelo Dawkins/Bray Wyatt, or probably some other people I'm overlooking. Really pretty much anyone going through the WWE system is either going to be an accomplished athlete outside of professional wrestling or else someone who came up as a backyarder/indie wrestler, which pretty much guarantees there is No True Performance Center Success Story.

Though this does raise another question, who are the successful amateur wrestlers who ended up not being good pro wrestlers? It's a common enough background for good/great pro wrestlers, from Gagne and Thesz to Nagata and Suzuki to Angle and Lesnar, and hundreds of people in between. But have there been people who excelled in amateur who ended up flaming out of pro wrestling?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't think Blood and Guts was that great, but I don't see how the opinion of it setting anything back holds water. How did it set things back? I guess maybe they'd complain about the violence, and I'm not a big fan of blading, but every so often it's effective and helps elevate a match or scene. I think it was appropriate for the match and the story they were telling.

But I mean, WWE just had a match in the last year where supposedly someone had their eye gouged out and that was way way way way worse in terms of fake violence and setting things back.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hint: it’s because it was from the competition.

Which they totally don’t care about.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1391587252111876099

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling was about to enter the dark ages in North America so this could be really bad.

The Main Event V took place on January 28, 1991 from the Macon Coliseum in Macon, Georgia, and aired on Friday February 1, 1991 at 8pm ET.[21][22]

The broadcast drew 10.6 million viewers and a 6.7 rating,[23] which was at the time the worst rating any WWF program had received on NBC despite the presence of Hulk Hogan. This has been blamed on the controversial Sgt. Slaughter Iraq storyline that was on going at the time.[24]

lmao 10.6 mil and it was declared a terrible number

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha loving WWE. Give them another billion dollars.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I've been thinking about the decline of wrestling in the early 2000s and how it's blamed on many different things, Stone Cold turning heel, the mishandled Invasion etc, but I think i've stumbled on a bigger reason and the reason I haven't seen it mentioned much is because for decades WWE has written their own history and wrestling journalists were pretty poo poo until a few years ago and many of them are still poo poo so they just towed the line and repeated the narrative.

The main reason WWE booked itself into a losing situation with heel Austin is because they genuinely thought that the Rock was going to fail in Hollywood and be back within 6 months. Everthing they booked is based around this and it took them over a year to realize the Rock wasn't coming back in any full time capacity ever again. They had no top guy waiting, and they pushed no one as a definitive top guy that entire time because they were so loving dumb thinking, and hoping the Rock would fail in Hollywood, maybe because Hogan did, but Hogan is a total loving moron who only appeals to other moron's and the Rock had charisma and was humble from all accounts in his early acting days which lead to him becoming tight with that industry and getting more opportunities. They really had so much confidence and self hatred that they thought breaking out of their little bubble was impossible and they never even tried to have a plan B, and it killed their momentum for good.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I've been thinking about the decline of wrestling in the early 2000s and how it's blamed on many different things, Stone Cold turning heel, the mishandled Invasion etc, but I think i've stumbled on a bigger reason and the reason I haven't seen it mentioned much is because for decades WWE has written their own history and wrestling journalists were pretty poo poo until a few years ago and many of them are still poo poo so they just towed the line and repeated the narrative.

The main reason WWE booked itself into a losing situation with heel Austin is because they genuinely thought that the Rock was going to fail in Hollywood and be back within 6 months. Everthing they booked is based around this and it took them over a year to realize the Rock wasn't coming back in any full time capacity ever again. They had no top guy waiting, and they pushed no one as a definitive top guy that entire time because they were so loving dumb thinking, and hoping the Rock would fail in Hollywood, maybe because Hogan did, but Hogan is a total loving moron who only appeals to other moron's and the Rock had charisma and was humble from all accounts in his early acting days which lead to him becoming tight with that industry and getting more opportunities. They really had so much confidence and self hatred that they thought breaking out of their little bubble was impossible and they never even tried to have a plan B, and it killed their momentum for good.

Having watched the Bryan and Vinny Retro RAWs, the wheels were coming off on WWF’s consistency well before Rock left for Hollywood and only being better than WCW’s trashfire saved them from suffering a similar fate for a while. They were jobbing Rock out to Triple H all the loving time and he was gearing up for a much earlier Reign of Terror than the one that did happen, and only a quad tear ended up halting that plan.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Main Event V took place on January 28, 1991 from the Macon Coliseum in Macon, Georgia, and aired on Friday February 1, 1991 at 8pm ET.[21][22]

The broadcast drew 10.6 million viewers and a 6.7 rating,[23] which was at the time the worst rating any WWF program had received on NBC despite the presence of Hulk Hogan. This has been blamed on the controversial Sgt. Slaughter Iraq storyline that was on going at the time.[24]

lmao 10.6 mil and it was declared a terrible number
I feel like this comes up once a month or so but the television landscape was very very different thirty (and forty, and twenty) years ago. Popular primetime network shows had ratings (not viewership) in the high teens, with hit shows like Cheers averaging a 21.9 in the 1991-1992 season. Middling shows that were about to be canceled like Head of the Class and Married People drew numbers double what The Main Event did during the same television season.

Literally no regular programming on NBC drew a rating under 6.7 except for Hull High, the weird forgotten spiritual companion to Cop Rock, which was one of the only other non-Fox network shows to get lower ratings than The Main Event.

With the proliferation of cable television and everything else that has happened in thirty years, getting a double digit rating in the past ten years is reserved mostly for NFL games, the Big Bang Theory, This is Us, NCIS, and early seasons of American Idol and Dancing With the Stars, which if you look at the numbers straight across means that Monday Night Football in 2021 is roughly as popular as shows like Sibs, Sisters, and Baby Talk were in 1991.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

this post assumes that the WWF could have booked a new top guy waiting if they actually wanted to, which is a fallacy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, that's what happens when most people have 4 choices for what's on TV on any given night.

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't think Blood and Guts was that great, but I don't see how the opinion of it setting anything back holds water. How did it set things back? I guess maybe they'd complain about the violence, and I'm not a big fan of blading, but every so often it's effective and helps elevate a match or scene. I think it was appropriate for the match and the story they were telling.

But I mean, WWE just had a match in the last year where supposedly someone had their eye gouged out and that was way way way way worse in terms of fake violence and setting things back.

The "hot takes on twitter" is that people are really upset with the finish.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm not even going to completely blame WWE for this. The Rock's crossover appeal was something never seen before and not seen since. Even if they did have a plan B it would not have saved them because the Plan B would have been so tepid in comparison. You just can't lose two of the top 3 icons in North American professional wrestling history at the same time and maintain speed.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 10, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I also think a combination of Rock leaving, Brock leaving and to a lesser extent Lashley leaving led to the decision to make the brand the star.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
and the brand has completely sucked ever since.

They could have have 5 top guys if they wanted to.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/2014.html

I just picked a random year of PWI top 500, and it's kind of funny how all the people still in WWE are basically doing nothing, while everyone who moved over to AEW is having like career highs (and Cena/Batista going to hollywood)

e: lol I have no idea how "legit" the pwi is, but if Bray is just behind Okada :xd:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 10, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

On an anecdotal level, every single person I know who watched during the attitude era and quit watching cites Triple H as their reason for quitting.It's actually funny how consistent it is. I know it's not data but he feels like the biggest anti-draw in wrestling history.

My real hot take is that there wasn't really anything that could have stopped the decline of wrestling. 9/11 slammed shut the cultural zeitgeist that made wrestling cool and MMA rose to fill that niche. WWE didn't help themselves by being terrible, but I don't think they could have stopped the bleeding.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

WWE misjudge Rock and Hollywood and came back to bite them in the rear end but it really didn't affect the Austin heel run being awful as he was still around on a mostly full time schedule for the next couple years. And it really didn't stop the decline the Austin heel turn caused

The funny thing is the WCW invasion angle 100% could of stopped the decline and rebuilt business and kept things going but of course we saw how that ended up. Mania 18 and 19 kinda of hid the decline as the product still seemed hot but it was a mask and than the Rock leaving full time after the Goldberg feud ripped that mask clean off and whelp

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm sure that WWE people are upset about Blood & Guts, but as mentioned it's most likely because AEW has managed to turn the gimmick match into an actual draw again which the Fed consistently fails to do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How do you figure out what all went on?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Cavauro posted:

How do you figure out what all went on?

Rene Descartes asked the same question!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hirez posted:

and the brand has completely sucked ever since.

They could have have 5 top guys if they wanted to.

http://www.profightdb.com/pwi-500/2014.html

I just picked a random year of PWI top 500, and it's kind of funny how all the people still in WWE are basically doing nothing, while everyone who moved over to AEW is having like career highs (and Cena/Batista going to hollywood)

e: lol I have no idea how "legit" the pwi is, but if Bray is just behind Okada :xd:

PWI was entirely kayfave until the year they gave it to The Miz at which point it feels like they decided ok we can't pretend thats true and started taking Japan seriously and how Okada became the first non-western wrestler to top it. Pre-Miz the biggest case of western bias was Dean Malenko winning in what was the worst WCW and WWF top run year when Misawa was put second but everyones always respected Malenko.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Dimebags Brain posted:

On an anecdotal level, every single person I know who watched during the attitude era and quit watching cites Triple H as their reason for quitting.It's actually funny how consistent it is. I know it's not data but he feels like the biggest anti-draw in wrestling history.

My real hot take is that there wasn't really anything that could have stopped the decline of wrestling. 9/11 slammed shut the cultural zeitgeist that made wrestling cool and MMA rose to fill that niche. WWE didn't help themselves by being terrible, but I don't think they could have stopped the bleeding.

I think you can go back and see just how terribly they booked the invasion and aftermath. The bleeding was so much the WWE's own fault.

Big Queefy
Jan 27, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

I would bet all my dogecoin and then some that they don't really consider that incredible women's war games match to be anything special.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Wazzu posted:

I think you can go back and see just how terribly they booked the invasion and aftermath. The bleeding was so much the WWE's own fault.

I was listening to the Bryan and Vinny retro shows and they noticed a change in the WWE creative literally the show after Vince bought WCW. I guess that's when Stephanie got into the creative and suddenly promos got more stilted and the feel of the 'modern era' of WWE began, and so did the decline, and it's just been getting steadily worse ever since.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that's what happens when most people have 4 choices for what's on TV on any given night.

Midnight Caller. drat. Forgot all about that show.

WWE did the "Rey loses an eye" thing so that could have a "moment" to talk about for the next few weeks until it was forgotten because the angle had moved on (and Rey, surprise, had his eye back). Hell, maybe someone told Vince about the Mountain/Oberyn fight from Game of Thrones and he thought "we can top that! Who has this Mountain ever beat?"

And now since WWE has competition, the eye thing will be forgotten until some magical, mythical time down the road where WWE is once again the only game in town. They'll make fun of it on a WWE podcast/WWE YouTube video and be like "yeah, this was stupid" while saying Blood & Guts killed AEW in the same breath.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
"That set the business back 30 years! Anyway, here's your Wrestlemania guest host, Hulk Hogan!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They're only saying that because business partners like Mattel will never let them put on a bloodbath again. It's easy to act like you're above it if you're not even allowed to do it. There are plenty of matches from the 00s where people are loving swimming in each other's blood and that was a hell of a lot less than thirty years ago.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There are plenty of matches from the 00s where people are loving swimming in each other's blood and that was a hell of a lot less than thirty years ago.
HHH himself would bleed buckets in almost every PPV match for years, but obviously that was just the Cerebral Assassin's masterful storytelling at work.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is the implication that they set the business back 30 years because of the obviously gimmicked fall and up until now wrestling fans still believed that Shane McMahon was legitimately diving off various tall structures? Because I can totally believe WWE higher ups thinking nobody had figured out crash mats until now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even though Kevin Dunn hasn't been able to shoot around a crash mat for decades.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saul Goode posted:

Is the implication that they set the business back 30 years because of the obviously gimmicked fall and up until now wrestling fans still believed that Shane McMahon was legitimately diving off various tall structures? Because I can totally believe WWE higher ups thinking nobody had figured out crash mats until now.

No, they implication is the level of violence the blood, the chair shots, is what set wrestling bad. It's the same argument that was used when ECW became popular (which they would then copy)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Davros1 posted:

No, they implication is the level of violence the blood, the chair shots, is what set wrestling bad. It's the same argument that was used when ECW became popular (which they would then copy)

I mean they had a match last year where you won by putting your opponent's eye out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Even though Kevin Dunn hasn't been able to shoot around a crash mat for decades.
It's a lot less obvious when there's 10 camera cuts in the 3 seconds it takes for someone to fall off a cage.