Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Started preemptively looking at what bike(s?) to replace my XSR and DRZ with I become Slavvy’s neighbour next month.

Loved my DRZ-SM, and I still have a whole bunch of parts for it. Was perfect for commuting and fun weekend trips nowhere which will make up 90% of my riding. Plus the opportunity to buy one new/near-new and unfondled by any PO is alluring.

But I have a few friends scattered across the country who would be nice to visit semi-regularly, and I’m not sure 8 hours doing a cross-country trip on a DRZ would be enjoyable. But I guess there’s planes and cars for this too.

I was considering the DR-Big styled Vstrom before the pandemic. And the new Tracer 9 looks like a great all rounder.

Should I stick to my gut feeling and get another DRZ, or is there something else worth exploring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get something that you haven’t ridden before. Variety is the spice of life.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with the Z900? Individual reviews seem to love it but it tends to get forgotten in the usual naked comparisons.

Considering a Trident but for $1000 more you're in Z900 territory, or lightly used Striple prices.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Supermotos are also particularly spicy

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Started preemptively looking at what bike(s?) to replace my XSR and DRZ with I become Slavvy’s neighbour next month.

Loved my DRZ-SM, and I still have a whole bunch of parts for it. Was perfect for commuting and fun weekend trips nowhere which will make up 90% of my riding. Plus the opportunity to buy one new/near-new and unfondled by any PO is alluring.

But I have a few friends scattered across the country who would be nice to visit semi-regularly, and I’m not sure 8 hours doing a cross-country trip on a DRZ would be enjoyable. But I guess there’s planes and cars for this too.

I was considering the DR-Big styled Vstrom before the pandemic. And the new Tracer 9 looks like a great all rounder.

Should I stick to my gut feeling and get another DRZ, or is there something else worth exploring?

get a KTM and make him work on it :D

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone have experience with the Z900? Individual reviews seem to love it but it tends to get forgotten in the usual naked comparisons.

Considering a Trident but for $1000 more you're in Z900 territory, or lightly used Striple prices.

If you're cross-shopping the Trident, I'm going to assume you mean the Z900RS, not the bug Z900. I have a black RS and it's :swoon: Isn't there some murmurs of a Z650RS for this year?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

As someone who has owned and sold two DRZ SM’s............get another drz if you want one

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

ArcticZombie posted:

If you're cross-shopping the Trident, I'm going to assume you mean the Z900RS, not the bug Z900. I have a black RS and it's :swoon: Isn't there some murmurs of a Z650RS for this year?

Not particularly, as the RS is about $2300 more and I used to have a Street Triple so insect morphology doesn't bother me. Looking better isn't really worth a 20% markup (I know, I know, it's more than cosmetic differences but still).

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

right arm posted:

Lol. He’d be 8hrs away. I’d spend more time driving the bike to him than riding the bike... but it might be worth it.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Trying to decide between a Triumph Thruxton 1200 R and a BMW R nineT.

Does anyone have experience with these bikes who can provide some input on experiences on either?

I'll be doing maintenance myself. My head says Triumph but my heart says BMW.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

out of two terrible names, the nineT is better

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captn Kurp posted:

Does anyone have experience with these bikes who can provide some input on experiences on either?

I think your head and your heart need to have a little chat about who's responsible for what.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

It looks like more bike than a 675, but is actually considerably less bike with more engine. They are typical Kawasaki: big meaty power, unburstable mechanicals, crap handing. Except for the retro RS which has improved cycle parts. Otoh triumphs break frequently.

Captn Kurp posted:

Triumph are aware that people work on their own bike. Bmw thinks this is impossible so they make it impossible.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Slavvy posted:

I can't think of a simple German bike sorry.

keine valves, keine problems!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az1ueKuxY78
die besten der welt!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Used 2018 fireblades seem to be going for about 18k CHF (5k more than I paid for it)...

https://www.motoscout24.ch/de/d/ducati-hypermotard-950-2021-neues-fahrzeug?vehid=8214644

Probably a much more appropriate bike for Switzerland as well

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Anyone have any opinions on Suzuki Maduras? Other than parts availability and a tiiny gas tank I don't find much bad about them.
Stock size rear tires seems to be hard to find. 140/80-16
Its the least known japanese v-4 power cruiser from mid 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Madura

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Suzuki Maduras? Other than parts availability and a tiiny gas tank I don't find much bad about them.
Stock size rear tires seems to be hard to find. 140/80-16
Its the least known japanese v-4 power cruiser from mid 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Madura

That seat is a crime against style.
Unless that style is bosozuku.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, that tail light mount is begging to be stretched out another couple feet or so

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never seen one of those IRL, they come across as terrifying.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a factory bosu if I ever saw one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not gonna lie, I don’t like king/queen seats, or sissy bars, but mounting the tail light up high on the sissy bar is loving sick and a powerful move if I’ve ever seen one

It’s an 80’s Suzuki so it’s probably pretty drat good, no idea how it compares to the vmax, which is the gold standard in that genre of bike.

E: oh, on par with the Magna for the most part but not the vmax

quote:

The Madura 1200 was factory rated at 117 hp, while the V65 Magna was rated at 116 hp. Actual power in a road-tested bike was found to be about 89 horsepower (66 kW). For comparison, a same year V65 put down 93 hp, and the 1985-2007 Vmax (1198cc)rated at 145HP would usually dyno 110-116HP at the rear wheel with just a 5-speed transmission.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 11, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not gonna lie, I don’t like king/queen seats, or sissy bars, but mounting the tail light up high on the sissy bar is loving sick and a powerful move if I’ve ever seen one

They're ugly as sin, but this bike says you're going to have a KQ seat and like it. Your alternative is to have a weird rear end brakelight/spoiler. You have to respect that.

The motor also has a flux capacitor vibe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s the absolute commitment to the sissy bar that does it. Most bikes make it a flimsy bolt on thing. Not this bike. Want to remove it? You’re gonna have to rebuild the back end AND give up that rad tail light

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm trying to find a pic of someone who went BOLD and put a solo seat on and left the sissy, but I can't find one. Cowards! I did find this 'beaut:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s an 80’s Suzuki so it’s probably

... like a 2020 suzuki (still good).

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: oh, on par with the Magna for the most part but not the vmax
I did some research after my dad wanted a magna, the 80s generation has serious problems with the oil passages up to the camshafts, so much that there is kits with hoses and fittings you add on the outside of the engine to reduce premature wear.

"put filtered, higher pressure oil to your cams while increasing the oil presence in the transmission"
This was fixed in the 90s magna version.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I've never considered it before but moving up the tail light to be better in the sight line of cars can't be a bad idea. Too bad it looks fugly

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s an 80’s Suzuki so it’s probably pretty drat good

Russian Bear posted:

... like a 2020 suzuki (still good).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s WHY they’re good

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

I'm trying to find a pic of someone who went BOLD and put a solo seat on and left the sissy, but I can't find one. Cowards! I did find this 'beaut:

so ugly it killed the grass

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That reminds me of the ugly "modern" furniture sets you would see in furniture stores back in the day.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I once tried to synchronize 2 carbs on a Suzuki v-twin. This looks like twice the nightmare.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gorson posted:

They're ugly as sin, but this bike says you're going to have a KQ seat and like it. Your alternative is to have a weird rear end brakelight/spoiler. You have to respect that.

The motor also has a flux capacitor vibe.

Yeah and the sissy bar also holds the license plate so that's nicely integrated into the bike... what a genius move.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If anyone needs a 2019 KTM 450sxf that's been converted to a supermoto, here you go:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMNXE2_HyB_/

No idea what he wants for it, it seems likely he'll convert it back to stock and sell all the goodies per his most recent post. That TEKMO swingarm alone is $2k new.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Just got quoted $6135 OTD for a 2021 MT-03 (which includes 10.1% tax), and I'm going to have to wait probably a month before they have another in stock; is this a bad deal I'm going to regret later?
Looks like they're adding about $400 on top of msrp/destination/doc fees, which doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, but I've also never bought a new bike before. With the market the way it is I don't see what other choice I have if I want to be riding before the end of summer, there's gently caress-all available used around here.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 13, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can always negotiate and counter offer, although they might just tell you to pound sand since they can probably sell it to the next person shortly. When I was getting quotes for MT03s locally, about $1000 on top of MSRP OTD seemed to be standard (our tax is a couple % lower).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

$400 is probably a reasonable amount of "extra" to pay in the current market, assuming the dealer isn't fibbing about the timeline and you actually get the bike in a month or so.

In normal times, MSRP + Destination + Tax should be the "default" OTD price and you shouldn't pay any more than that without a very good reason; ideally you can negotiate OTD to something less than that. Hopefully normal times come back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
There's a used 2020 MT-03 with 200 miles at a dealership near me. It's $4500 but even people selling Z400s and CB300s near here are still charging over MSRP and not budging.