Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

I mean they had a match last year where you won by putting your opponent's eye out.

Ssh; you're not to mention things they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
They immolated a gasoline soaked fiend

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If Kevin Dunn had filmed the bump you wouldn't have been able to tell it was a crash mat. You would also have never seen the bump because he would have cut to a random shot of the crowd at the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

You would also have never seen the bump because he would have cut to a random shot of the crowd at the time.

wow don't tell Tony Khan or he'll try to poach that guy to AEW

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone post the WWE version of stadium stampede gif

Also, the talk about the Rock being successful in Hollywood has been mentioned but when did he actually become successful? Fast Five is where I always say he became the megastar he is now in but that wasn't until 2011. His first movies were early early 2000s and most of those movies I don't think were that big?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Rock became “successful” in Hollywood almost immediately in the sense of being a working actor consistently getting booked multiple times a year in all kinds of projects, big and small. It’s an attitude he’s never really given up, even today.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

On an anecdotal level, every single person I know who watched during the attitude era and quit watching cites Triple H as their reason for quitting.It's actually funny how consistent it is. I know it's not data but he feels like the biggest anti-draw in wrestling history.

I'll also include the nWo in that, too; my thought at the time that the Invasion sucked and didn't make any sense but bringing back the SPECIFIC angle that WCW had run into the ground, nah, that was enough.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I thought the Scorpion King was specifically created as a Rock Vehicle.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I thought the Scorpion King was specifically created as a Rock Vehicle.

It was, but at the time it was a modest diversion in a summer tentpole franchise...like a Rogue One or something.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's more he just stuck with it, had the look,work ethic etc and grinding it out with movie after movie that kept him in it.
I'm probably just hold the word 'successful ' to high and narrow in my mind.

And yes Scorpion King had to be since it was him doing the cgi one in The Mummy.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Iskanderson posted:

"That set the business back 30 years! Anyway, here's your Wrestlemania guest host, Hulk Hogan!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Digital Jedi posted:

Also, the talk about the Rock being successful in Hollywood has been mentioned but when did he actually become successful? Fast Five is where I always say he became the megastar he is now in but that wasn't until 2011. His first movies were early early 2000s and most of those movies I don't think were that big?

I recall reading that he changed his management/representation at some point which started getting him better projects than stuff like the Tooth Fairy movie he was in

Fast Five does seem to be the line where he went from general action guy to megastar. He worked pretty regularly in the 00s but completely blew up in the 2010s.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Digital Jedi posted:

It's more he just stuck with it, had the look,work ethic etc and grinding it out with movie after movie that kept him in it.
I'm probably just hold the word 'successful ' to high and narrow in my mind.

And yes Scorpion King had to be since it was him doing the cgi one in The Mummy.

I feel like a lot of Rock's success in Hollywood was him either having a really good instinct for picking scripts or having a really good agent to do it for him.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I feel like a lot of Rock's success in Hollywood was him either having a really good instinct for picking scripts or having a really good agent to do it for him.

Also he was given glowing recommendations by every director he worked for which goes a long way in Hollywood

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Digital Jedi posted:

Taking a look at his filmography before Fast Five...

Walking Tall was fairly well liked at the time. I remember Be Cool had a fair amount of hype but I don't think anyone actually remembers the movie. Get Smart was a pretty big success, wasn't it? Disney played Race to Witch Mountain a bunch on tv so lol I guess that one was a success for them. Fast Five was definitely his breakout point, but leading up to that you can see him slowly becoming a bigger and more successful name.

And yeah, like Digital Jedi said, he had the worth ethic and the grind to stick with it and keep at it until he finally blew up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Disney films were actually more successful than the early Rundown/Walking Tall era of b-level action films, though some of those were pretty successful (Scorpion King did $181M on a $60M budget).

But the family films no one I know watched all made more money than the post-Scorpion King/Pre-F&F action stuff:

Race to Witch Mountain: $50M budget, $106M worldwide
Tooth Fairy: $48M budget, $113M worldwide
The Game Plan: $22M budget, $147M worldwide
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island: $80M budget, $335M worldwide

Fast Five obviously put him into the A-List for action movies, but he's kept doing stuff like Moana and Jumanji to keep a foot planted in the family film market too. And yeah, just the work ethic and the willingness to do family films, action films, comedy bit parts in Be Cool/Get Smart, I think all of that sort of snowballed into studios really pushing him even when stuff like the GI Joe movie underperformed.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 10, 2021

bartok
May 10, 2006

Terrible movie but I think the moment I knew Rock was going to be a huge star was Be Cool which came out in 2005. Kind of a small role but he stands out as far and away the best part of that awful sequel to Get Shorty.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The behind the scenes stuff from scorpion king showed him actually trying to learn acting. That probably helps a ton.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
All the interviews people do with his relations seems like he’s extremely hard-working on and offset, and kind. Which is a miracle after working for Vince for so many years, maybe it was just relief that nobody on site is going to change an entire page of dialogue with 10 minutes notice. (Instead it will be several hours notice.)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Rock was good in Tooth Fairy and only Tooth Fairy

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Grem posted:

The Rock was good in Doom and only Doom

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rock's best early movie role is Reno 911 Miami

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They're only saying that because business partners like Mattel will never let them put on a bloodbath again. It's easy to act like you're above it if you're not even allowed to do it. There are plenty of matches from the 00s where people are loving swimming in each other's blood and that was a hell of a lot less than thirty years ago.

The vast majority of their profits come from B2B deals with NBC/Universal and Fox, and that Saudi deal with each show being the equivalent of like 7 modern Wrestlemanias or something crazy like that. The thing is that they claim that WWE figures are "In the Top 3 action figure properties in the US", which is far more important to them than the revenue they bring in.

Like to put some perspective on it...

In 2006, 2007, and 2008 licensing represented 22%/24%/25% of their revenue. So on $526.5M of revenue in 2008, that's $131M in licensing. Which includes everything, from video games to action figures, and is a significant amount. Mattel certainly did help grow that licensing money in a big way at the time. So to say that they had to adjust the product to appease Mattel at the time made sense, because a huge chunk of their business was making a kid friendly product to sell toys to kids.

In 2019 licensing represented 4.5% of their revenue. Which is $43.2M out of $960.4M of total revenue for the year.
In 2020 licensing represented 4.2% of their revenue. Which is $41.7M out of $974.2 of total revenue for the year.

So how much of that is action figures? Half?

To hold back the quality of your show because of the toy line that makes a fraction of your profits is stupid.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Grem posted:

The Rock was good in Tooth Fairy and only Tooth Fairy

ive heard this is a cute and good movie but i havent seen it

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Vandar posted:

Taking a look at his filmography before Fast Five...

I remember Be Cool had a fair amount of hype but I don't think anyone actually remembers the movie.
And yeah, like Digital Jedi said, he had the worth ethic and the grind to stick with it and keep at it until he finally blew up.

Be Cool was huge for him because his role wasn't action-oriented and showed off his comedy chops; I recall him being incredibly well-received with that role.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

All the interviews people do with his relations seems like he’s extremely hard-working on and offset, and kind. Which is a miracle after working for Vince for so many years, maybe it was just relief that nobody on site is going to change an entire page of dialogue with 10 minutes notice. (Instead it will be several hours notice.)

It's probably easier to be hard-working and kind on set when you don't get hazed by your coworkers to "pay dues"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dacap posted:

I recall reading that he changed his management/representation at some point which started getting him better projects than stuff like the Tooth Fairy movie he was in
My understanding is his representation changed to his now ex-wife in 2008 and she is acknowledged as a huge part of his success.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

My understanding is his representation changed to his now ex-wife in 2008 and she is acknowledged as a huge part of his success.

That tracks when you see the breakout happened for him around 2010/11 when a lot of those movies would’ve started production in 2008/9

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Batista in Knives Out 2 https://deadline.com/2021/05/dave-bautista-daniel-craig-rian-johnsons-knives-out-2-netflix-1234752608/

bartok
May 10, 2006

Grem posted:

The Rock was good in Pain & Gain and only Pain & Gain

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Considering that "Pro Wrestler" occupies the middle of a Venn diagram consisting of "Body Builder", "Stuntperson" and "Improv Theater Nerd" I'm surprised that there aren't more breakout former pro wrestlers than there are.

The Rock, I think, is definitely pushed ahead of the pack due to a combination of having enormous personal magnetism and charm, while still coming off like a genuinely nice guy. He has the rare ability to appear incredibly cocky and yet likable at the same time. His mic work and character when working for the WWF has definitely informed his later acting career, and as mentioned before his comedy chops are undeniable. I've not seen all of his films, but I've never seen him in a role where he didn't stand out due to sheer screen presence, and he seems to be a positive addition to anything he's in regardless of genre.

Also this scene in the first of the new Jumanji movies is the biggest swerve from surprisingly touching to utterly hilarious I've seen and makes me laugh so hard I make honking noises every loving time.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1391881925015506946?s=20

These guys are shooting and editing their own video packages now aren’t they

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

JUNGLE BOY posted:

#noonecares

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

JUNGLE BOY posted:

countdown to wwe taking one down for using their intellectual property

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Oh my god is this because Mansoor isn't on main event anymore

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Majinfoose posted:

#noonecares

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Velveteen Dream is apparently backstage at Raw

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dacap posted:

Velveteen Dream is apparently backstage at Raw

I hope they are shooting an episode of To Catch a Predator at the thunder dome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I hope they are shooting an episode of To Catch a Predator at the thunder dome.

My dog is dying, I did my 400th funeral this year today, and this made me laugh so loud I woke my dog up. So thanks for that. Dark humor is the only humor right now :unsmith:

That feels like a huge step down for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It is nuts really that Batista is a bigger star and better actor than the Rock, I never would have called that

I love Big Dave