Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I assume that Learnincurve didn’t read that in the two minutes between when I posted and she did, and her post is a response to yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup.

Not everyone in this thread is American - The U.K. has been under lockdown for over a year, in my area that’s been total lockdown, we have a verifiably working vaccination program, very few deaths, and bugger all hospital admissions amongst the vaccinated. We mostly find doom posting utterly exhausting - It’s one thing having to wear a mask going in to a restaurant, it’s another to have not been in one for a year and still have a new variant sweep across the land.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

QuarkJets posted:

That study actually supports what I said earlier: this study cites a 56% reduction in CFR in the best-case, which coupled with the reduced likelihood of infection still does not come anywhere near "one in ten million" odds

You're forgetting the most important part here which is a 56% reduction *in 80+ year old patients.*

There were no covid deaths in the UK studies outside of the very elderly and people with other conditions. The problem is the study was doing two things with two populations simultaneously, you have to look at the healthcare workers info rather than the other part which relates to extremely vulnerable people.

[e] I went digging into the appendices of the data of the Israeli study.

https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00947-8/attachment/d359193b-30ec-4668-8d3e-83b69e8be495/mmc1.pdf
Check Supp table 2.

Of the 232,268 Covid cases in the data there were amongst the fully vaccinated:

Ages 0-44: 1801 cases, Zero deaths, 7 hospitalisations.
Ages 45-64: 2264 cases, 14 deaths, 62 hospitalisations.
Ages 65+: 2201 cases, 124 deaths', 295 hospitalisations.

So yeah maybe it is closer to 1/1000 than 1/1,000,000 across the population but managing to be in your 20's, being vaccinated and still dying of covid is some extremely long odds.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 10, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
ETA 7 days until we can have a "Cheeky" Nando's (tm) indoors and pay a grand in average on top of the holiday expenses to have the privilege of being stranded in Portugal in case the gubmint suddenly decides to put them on the red list again :britain:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Galewolf posted:

ETA 7 days until we can have a "Cheeky" Nando's (tm) indoors and pay a grand in average on top of the holiday expenses to have the privilege of being stranded in Portugal in case the gubmint suddenly decides to put them on the red list again :britain:

I honestly just want the lazy fuckers who installed them to remove all the barriers that were put in when people had to queue outside before entering. It’s been nearly 6 months (? Or 6000 years idk) since that was all abandoned and the mess is still there.

They funnel people closer together at the entrances and exits that haven’t been locked, force those with limited mobility to walk often insane round about distances (to cross shopping centre “streets” for example) and make it an absolute ballache for people in wheelchairs. Only one entrance and exit? Well would you look at that, this building is only wheelchair accessible via the door marked exit and there is a 4ft crash barrier zip tied across the ramp, yay! Fire exits? Never heard of them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bape Culture posted:

It is weird that the doom posting goons have anecdotes that contradict entire countries and actual studies.

It'd be way easier to have a conversation if you could quote & name the statements/posts you have a problem with, instead. This here is not productive and won't change anyone's mind. But maybe you were in a hurry.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I honestly just want the lazy fuckers who installed them to remove all the barriers that were put in when people had to queue outside before entering. It’s been nearly 6 months (? Or 6000 years idk) since that was all abandoned and the mess is still there.

They funnel people closer together at the entrances and exits that haven’t been locked, force those with limited mobility to walk often insane round about distances (to cross shopping centre “streets” for example) and make it an absolute ballache for people in wheelchairs. Only one entrance and exit? Well would you look at that, this building is only wheelchair accessible via the door marked exit and there is a 4ft crash barrier zip tied across the ramp, yay! Fire exits? Never heard of them.

In current status, queuing is a hassle in anywhere and everyone is already at licking distance to each other regardless but boy o boy the month between May 17th to June 21st will be a wild ride for everyone, doubly so for service workers.
"
I actually went to Nando's in Southbank on Friday and they let people inside to wait in the booths for their order and I was like, "Wait, can we sit inside??".

I mean, for all it's worth, the lockdown made me realize how overpriced the outdoor dining / drinking is (in London, that is). Two people meal box for 25 quid? That's like my weekly groceries and I buy "expensive" stuff like fresh vegs and fruits. Borough market open food stalls were like full on packed with people and it gets tiring to ask "do you accept walk-ins" after the second time.

That being said, I extremely appreciate that we're at this point now, complaining about not being able to find a seat in a taco stand is lightyears away from where we were five months ago.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not been too bad with the opening in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire/Sheffield, they made a horrendous move in opening up the phase 2 while the kids were off school, but by week 2 it had settled down again.

I work 4pm to 8am and was like that lass off big brother going “Who is she! Who is she!” during lockdown, like “I’ve walked my dog here near my house in March at 10am for 15 years and haven’t seen one of you people in my life, piss off and stay at home you contrary arseholes.”

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

"Haven't seen your face in here ever, mate. gently caress off back to Surrey Quays and contaminate the marina instead :argh:" was our common grumbling during the early-mid lockdown.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saros posted:

You're forgetting the most important part here which is a 56% reduction *in 80+ year old patients.*

I did not forget or miss that, that's the age group that I was referring to when I said "best case". The CFR reduction was smaller in all other age groups

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I pretty much got vaxxed on a whim, I just started a new job so am currently between health insurers. I was at wal-mart grabbing some cat food and decided to ask the pharmacy what you needed to get a vaccine and they were like "we just need your social security number if you don't have active insurance and we have the J&J shot which only takes one do you want it" and I was like "heck yeah" and 5 min later I was jabbed and that was that.

I recognize this is extremely fortunate. the point is if you're american and worried about getting vaxxed up give your local wal-mart pharmacy a call

Revins fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 10, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Revins posted:

I pretty much got vaxxed on a whim, I just started a new job so am currently between health insurers. I was at wal-mart grabbing some cat food and decided to ask the pharmacy what you needed to get a vaccine and they were like "we just need your social security number if you don't have active insurance and we have the J&J shot which only takes one do you want it" and I was like "heck yeah" and 5 min later I was jabbed and that was that.

I recognize this is extremely fortunate. the point is if you're american and worried about getting vaxxed up give your local wal-mart pharmacy a call

Correct me if I'm getting wrong but do Murica actually paywall the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Like, please tell me that's not the case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Galewolf posted:

Correct me if I'm getting wrong but do Murica actually paywall the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Like, please tell me that's not the case.

No.

The pharmacist was just saying that they happen to have Johnson & Johnson’s.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 10, 2021

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
No, I also had the option of the Moderna. point is you don't need active insurance to get vaccinated, I just needed to give my SSN and show a photo ID. there was no money or credit card number involved at all

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh, I misread and skipped the "and" in between, apologies.

That being said, I was 100% ready to believe if it was an actual thing given the American healthcare finding new ways to make me :psyduck: each time I read about it.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

What my 5g tuned brain thought was "If you have an active insurance, you can select from all vaccines. If you don't have an active insurance, you still get the vaccine but you can't choose" kinda situation.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah, for my husband and I, as well as our immediate families, we got appointments and we all had no idea which shot we were getting until the day we showed up; for us two, we were able to narrow it down to "either Pfizer or Moderna" because they gave us follow-up appointments at the same time as the initial ones

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nexous posted:

we’re at the point in a house fire where we learned spraying water on it will put out the fire

It’s almost out so we better turn off the fire hydrant, anything else would be doomerism

it's more like the house is ashes and we just learned that we can spray water on it so we're gonna spray water on the ashes and pat the homeowners on the back and tell them it's all great now, go on ahead and go home.

learnincurve posted:

Yup.

Not everyone in this thread is American - The U.K. has been under lockdown for over a year, in my area that’s been total lockdown, we have a verifiably working vaccination program, very few deaths, and bugger all hospital admissions amongst the vaccinated. We mostly find doom posting utterly exhausting - It’s one thing having to wear a mask going in to a restaurant, it’s another to have not been in one for a year and still have a new variant sweep across the land.

Where are you? I had an English friend going to bars and pubs and stuff and she ended up with covid last year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it's more like the house is ashes and we just learned that we can spray water on it so we're gonna spray water on the ashes and pat the homeowners on the back and tell them it's all great now, go on ahead and go home.

Where are you? I had an English friend going to bars and pubs and stuff and she ended up with covid last year.

They had this absolutely stupid tier system in place that allowed Londoners to frolic about licking lamp posts while northern old men, in areas that hasn’t had a death in 6 months, had to leave a carrier bag in a pub doorway and shout “please sir may I have some more”

Rich Londoners brought the Kent variant up north for Christmas.

Edit: We were doing SEND stuff in Leicester from June to February

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 10, 2021

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes, RIP humanity it had a good run. Glad that's over with, so what is the next dominant species now that weird chapter is over with?

Vaccination here is finally on a good upward trend, and more Cantons are opening up the 18+ brackets for getting poked. Timeslots to get it done are going away like lovely TVs on a black Friday sale and I'm lucky to get my first one on the 20th.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

They had this absolutely stupid tier system in place that allowed Londoners to frolic about licking lamp posts while northern old men, in areas that hasn’t had a death in 6 months, had to leave a carrier bag in a pub doorway and shout “please sir may I have some more”

Rich Londoners brought the Kent variant up north for Christmas.

I keep seeing mouthbreathing domestic tourists taking photos of the Tower Bridge (no one lived more than 45 minutes in London takes the photo of Tower Bridge) and licking our lamposts and complain about paying £5.60 for a godawful pint of lager when the weather is good so consider us even :colbert:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It should be noted that that was other southerners, probably from Kent because northerners were not paying that much to go to London without there being a sporting event on.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

QuarkJets posted:

No one's doom posting, we're talking about not treating vaccination as a magic elixir

There are absolutely posters fantasizing about fully vaccinated but insufficiently strict people being punished for their sins with horrible new mutant variants, for example:

Sjs00 posted:

Hey when the Covid19 virus mutates into a no poo poo for real rabies/zombie virus you just let me know because you will encounter that poo poo before I will (if you go to the gym)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Squat racks mutating Corona into zombifying virus was just :discourse:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am really really glad to see you guys finding that silver lining

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Breaking data, why yes I did take a picture of my television using an iPad.

The just released public health England data on AZ/Ppfizer data after one dose,

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57055340.amp

0 deaths for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland reported today.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Husband still hasn't been able to book his first shot, and they've opened bookings for everyone over 12 now, so his spot in line to access the booking site is nearly 90,000th. That is a bit frustrating but also fantastic that so many under 40s are getting vaccinated. This waiting to book hasn't happened since the very first round for elderly and severely ill.

His vaccine reluctant co-workers are trying to really milk the paid time off, they're trying to book the entire day off for a one hour wait at a clinic, because they still get 3 hours of pay. They're all a bunch of lazy assholes though, so it's not a surprise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Husband still hasn't been able to book his first shot, and they've opened bookings for everyone over 12 now, so his spot in line to access the booking site is nearly 90,000th. That is a bit frustrating but also fantastic that so many under 40s are getting vaccinated. This waiting to book hasn't happened since the very first round for elderly and severely ill.

His vaccine reluctant co-workers are trying to really milk the paid time off, they're trying to book the entire day off for a one hour wait at a clinic, because they still get 3 hours of pay. They're all a bunch of lazy assholes though, so it's not a surprise.

I took the day off for my 2 hour appointment because gently caress it the government is paying for it :shrug:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

PTO rocks, don’t be a narc

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Picnic Princess posted:

oh gently caress off they're entitled to it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Also pre-emptively taking off the day isn't a horrible idea in expectation of side effects.

If I had known that was a thing I definitely would've taken that day off; I did take a few hours off the day after for both shots.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My boss has been extremely cool about everyone getting vaccinated, even though it's not company policy at all to be like that. I told him I'd need a half day for my appointments, he told me just to take off without using a half day and get it for both doses. The day after my 2nd dose I went home right after lunch and he told me just to forget about it, it was fine, no need to use up a half vacation day.

Now I can use that time off to instead enjoy being a full vaccinated human being that can go out in public and stuff, it's awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

“People aren’t getting the shot!” :argh:

“People are taking the whole day off to get the shot!” :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What kind of idiot even remotely gives a gently caress about people milking time off to get the vaccine?

Post back when they’ve done it for their sixth dose

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I took an entire week off for my second shot. :smug:

... Ok I already had scheduled the week off anyway because I needed some time off and the shot timing was a coincidence, but still.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Riptor posted:

oh gently caress off they're entitled to it

They make 90 grand a year spending half their shift on smoke breaks or watching YouTube and leaves my husband alone at the counter all day and email him for help multiple times a day when he's on vacation with me but okay

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

They make 90 grand a year spending half their shift on smoke breaks or watching YouTube and leaves my husband alone at the counter all day and email him for help multiple times a day when he's on vacation with me but okay

There's no such thing as "taking too much PTO" and anyone who thinks there is is a corporatist shill.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

maybe complain about your husbands lovely coworkers outside of the context of taking time off to get a vaccine in another thread

maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Picnic Princess posted:

Anyone bring some french fries for all the salt?