Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Had our operations manager say “they can suck my rear end in a top hat, in the most Christian way.” Nice that he mixes up his curses from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tnuctip posted:

Had our operations manager say “they can suck my rear end in a top hat, in the most Christian way.” Nice that he mixes up his curses from time to time.

A director I worked a couple levels beneath was in the navy and had an absolutely astounding repertoire of curse word combinations and it was actually a bit of a treat when he really let loose. He usually did it in good humour too so it wasn’t directed at anyone in particular just for the show of it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kinda reminds me of my high school Physics teacher, who among many other quotable quotes used to say before tests, "Cheat if you must, but do it in the spirit of Christian love."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Boss, in a meeting today:

"Yeah some people are getting the COVID vaccine, then lying and saying they didn't because they don't want to be asked to go back to the office"

yeah uh

huh

who would do such a thing

I'm just gonna uh

yeahhhh

I'm just gonna, sit right here, nice a quiet.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
They may be legally not allowed to ask you your vaccination status depending on where you are. That's the case in california anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My father in law is telling everyone on Facebook that he’s a tough guy who won’t get the vaccine.

Anyway he got like like a month ago and asked his daughters not to tell anyone.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

My father in law is telling everyone on Facebook that he’s a tough guy who won’t get the vaccine.

Social media was a mistake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

why would you possibly want to look cool to the type of people who might think this was cool

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

bee posted:

I'm getting two weeks severance, which is a week more than I am legally entitled to in my country. Boss has also offered to give me a reference and allow me to leave my employment with his company up on LinkedIn for the next few weeks while I am looking for a new job.

Plot twist! I spoke to an employment lawyer today who looked at my contract and advised that I was entitled to four weeks of paid notice, as my probation period was three months and I was fired after that.

There is a six year time limit on when I can file a claim for that money with the industrial court so I'm going to sit quietly for now, use the reference my boss offered me to get another job, then once that's lined up send him a friendly reminder that he owes me money.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

bee posted:

Plot twist! I spoke to an employment lawyer today who looked at my contract and advised that I was entitled to four weeks of paid notice, as my probation period was three months and I was fired after that.

There is a six year time limit on when I can file a claim for that money with the industrial court so I'm going to sit quietly for now, use the reference my boss offered me to get another job, then once that's lined up send him a friendly reminder that he owes me money.

This is the kind of vindication I live for. Wishing you all the best in this, bee!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bee posted:

Hell yeah, get what's yours.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jordan7hm posted:

I bet he's the same kind of guy that doesn't wear sunscreen lotion because he doesn't want anyone to think that he's weaker than the loving sun itself.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

I bet he's the same kind of guy that doesn't wear sunscreen lotion because he doesn't want anyone to think that he's weaker than the loving sun itself.

Nah that one is me.

gently caress the sun, it can’t beat me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

When people talk about beating cancer they don't mean with their fists you know

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Giving real thought to just creating big time blocks in Outlook to appear constantly booked so people can't just invite me to meetings out of nowhere

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

MJP posted:

Giving real thought to just creating big time blocks in Outlook to appear constantly booked so people can't just invite me to meetings out of nowhere
Naw, use smaller blocks so that an actual important meeting doesn't suddenly open up your whole day.

And use Cortana's time scheduling if it's activate. Guess who has Microsoft approved Learning Time every day from 8:30am to 9:30am?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1390501454138466310?s=19

She is getting absolutely raked over the coals for this and I am here for it.

no this isn't my boss but a lot of the arguments she's using sound familiar. Thankfully my company did a 180 due to the pandemic but loving lol at this poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

no this isn't my boss but a lot of the arguments she's using sound familiar. Thankfully my company did a 180 due to the pandemic but loving lol at this poo poo.

"Wait, what do you mean firing them after 23 months? HIRING COSTS WHAT?!" We're spending HOW MUCH on temp firms and consultants?! What's this weird word here, o veer timah? Why is it so large?!"

Funny how no one else has figured out this One Weird Trick.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Volmarias posted:

"Wait, what do you mean firing them after 23 months? HIRING COSTS WHAT?!" We're spending HOW MUCH on temp firms and consultants?! What's this weird word here, o veer timah? Why is it so large?!"

Funny how no one else has figured out this One Weird Trick.

Also extremely likely misclassification under the FLSA and a bunch of local laws. So for overtime and minimum wage calculations they'll be calculated like employees anyway...i.e. they get 1.5x for overtime and are entitled to minimum wage.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just dropped the most annoying email on a colleague who has been giving me miserable work since I joined. Enjoy your Friday :clint:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

chaser

https://twitter.com/janerecker/status/1390649000462856199

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Handsome Ralph posted:

Why not make everyone a contractor, except the execs, they will continue to work from the golf course.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tnuctip posted:

Why not make everyone a contractor, except the execs, they will continue to work from the golf course.

This is exactly what the corporate world would like to do and is trying to do, which is why laws forcing full time workers to be classified as employees are increasingly necessary.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One line of my work sells goods extremely relevant to Mother’s Day. I ran the sales by hour on them yesterday and enjoyed the trends:

-Initial rush from 7am-10am: “oh crap it’s Mother’s Day”
-Level sales from 10am-12pm: “bruuuuunch”
-Huge spike from 12pm-2pm: “oh poo poo oh gently caress it’s Mother’s Day”

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Had an employee quit today on me. They were worried about how I’d react.

“You’re leaving for a better work life balance? Sad to see you go but happy for you.”

Meanwhile in my head: fuuuuuck take me with you

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Contract Employee today: "Hey, would it be possible for me to get (date) off? I have to go to court for (personal family reasons I didn't need to know)."
Me: "There is no circumstance on god's green earth I would ever tell you no for that. You didn't have to tell me any of that. I'm going to forget you told me anything, and you should just write it down as 'personal' and take the time off."
Contract Employee: "I told you because (contract company) manager said no, it wasn't their problem that I have a court date, and that they weren't going to approve the time off without you signing off on it,"

So now I'm scheduling a phone call with his contract-manager to tell the guy to shove that high horse up his rear end. Happy Monday or something.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sundae posted:

Contract Employee today: "Hey, would it be possible for me to get (date) off? I have to go to court for (personal family reasons I didn't need to know)."
Me: "There is no circumstance on god's green earth I would ever tell you no for that. You didn't have to tell me any of that. I'm going to forget you told me anything, and you should just write it down as 'personal' and take the time off."
Contract Employee: "I told you because (contract company) manager said no, it wasn't their problem that I have a court date, and that they weren't going to approve the time off without you signing off on it,"

So now I'm scheduling a phone call with his contract-manager to tell the guy to shove that high horse up his rear end. Happy Monday or something.
I had an employee that thought that my likelihood of approving sick leave depended on how graphically he could describe the symptoms he was experiencing. I have never denied sick leave.

That employee sucked for a lot of reasons.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Sundae posted:

I’ve been lurking for lord knows how long, and you consistently sound like I’d happiply go the extra mile if i was working for you. Keep it up.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"hello Powerful Two-Hander's reportee, we know there are some resource problems but as the support team we are handling 80% of support requests and we need a plan to be able to escalate them to you please advise."

Hmm where to start. The "resource problems" are that all of our onshore devs left so we have zero devs, and as the support team, a complaint of "we are handling too much support and can't be bothered to do it" isn't really going to fly.

Nice "copy the person's manager" attempt though, unfortunately for you I am a terrible manager in all respects bar one: I know that the guy you're getting at is really good and if there is a genuine problem he'd have fixed it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I had an employee that thought that my likelihood of approving sick leave depended on how graphically he could describe the symptoms he was experiencing. I have never denied sick leave.

That employee sucked for a lot of reasons.

I wonder if he was just a dumbass or if he had a previous employer who was like that. One of my ex-bosses at PFE would sometimes show up at people's home addresses to check if they were home on days they'd called in sick, so it's possible he had that kind of problem before, maybe?

I'm with you re: never deny sick leave, and I've tried to be super clear to my workers about that kind of thing. Your leave is your leave. I appreciate you asking for the days off, and if it's vacation time, the only time I'd even consider denying it is if we literally are manufacturing an GMP campaign during those days and you didn't give me enough time to find a backup. Even then, I'll try not to if I can avoid it. :shrug:

I'm guessing that it's just what people are used to.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

One of my ex-bosses at PFE would sometimes show up at people's home addresses to check if they were home on days they'd called in sick
What a loving psychopath

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The funny thing is that the manager is so outraged at the employee being Not At Work, yet he himself has apparently nothing better to do with his workday than spy on his underling.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Nice "copy the person's manager" attempt though, unfortunately for you I am a terrible manager in all respects bar one: I know that the guy you're getting at is really good and if there is a genuine problem he'd have fixed it.

cc up the chain one level on their end and suggest having a meeting to discuss the issues. Leave your own employee out of the meeting. Bury them in useless calendar events and make them regret ever suggesting this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The funny thing is that the manager is so outraged at the employee being Not At Work, yet he himself has apparently nothing better to do with his workday than spy on his underling.
On top of being an antisocial rear end in a top hat, yes. Like excuse me, what do you do on days you're *not* stalking your reports?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A report of mine teams msged me he was sick today and filled it in on workday and tbh I didn’t even realize we were supposed to fill in sick days on workday :haw:

It makes obvious sense when I think about it but I just never did before.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

A report of mine teams msged me he was sick today and filled it in on workday and tbh I didn’t even realize we were supposed to fill in sick days on workday :haw:

It makes obvious sense when I think about it but I just never did before.

I have not filled in my timesheet in Workday in 5 years. :haw:

(Well, excluding vacation time. I track that, but literally nothing else.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Time... sheet?

That sound is one from an ancient memory, but I cannot recall more.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We gotta do regular time but it is always just autofill from previous week unless we are on a new project now but that usually goes for 2-3 years without having to change.

Also booking vacation. For sick days my manager was always just “oh ok feel better” with no mention of putting it in workday - we don’t track sick days that closely here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m on a time and materials engagement (uggggh) so I’m booking my time to the quarter hour on that project. Then I’m also on a couple fix few things so I’m booking time properly there too though not to that level of detail.

T&M suuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol nobody told me that a lot of banks got bad news in their spring exams and are willing to pay me like 50% more than I currently make